Reaction score
  1. Washington
  2. Carolina
  3. Dallas
  4. Cleveland
  5. NY Jets
Likelihood I go:
1. CLE - lots of talent and high potential young QB
2. NYJ - need to clear some dead weight, but another young QB with lots o potential.
3. WAS - if Snyder is not in the equation for GM, there is a core of talent
4. DAL - Jones is the detraction. Not sure the QB is a stud, but you can win with him.
5. CAR - have to get rid of Cam.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Likelihood I go:
1. CLE - lots of talent and high potential young QB
2. NYJ - need to clear some dead weight, but another young QB with lots o potential.
3. WAS - if Snyder is not in the equation for GM, there is a core of talent
4. DAL - Jones is the detraction. Not sure the QB is a stud, but you can win with him.
5. CAR - have to get rid of Cam.

Cleveland was the first job I thought of ....last year for MM. Without fully knowing his relationship with Dorsey or Wolf, that one could go either way. I do think Freddie Kitchens is a good candidate for one and done. That team has a lot of talent, yet they are a dumpster fire for the most part on the field. Freddie will be the Scape Goat.

The Cleveland job is a boom or bust and because of that, a job MM might steer clear of. He could go in there, straighten things out quickly and put them on the NFL map as relevant. Or things could already be too far gone and he is jumping into a snake pit that might end up being his last chance to be a HC in the NFL.

I actually think Carolina might be where he lands. Seems more like a McCarthy kind of place and a team that isn't under such turmoil as the others on the list.

TexasCheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where is his defensive coordinator Dom Capers? He just had to have him around for way to long, figured he’s have a spot at the little table.

but in all seriousness I liked mike, just think he was trapped and was scared to change...but he blew a couple of Super Bowl seasons for sure.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked mike, just think he was trapped and was scared to change...but he blew a couple of Super Bowl seasons for sure.
I'd say if anyone blew a couple of Super Bowl seasons it was Ted. McCarthy gets some blame for the NFCCG against Seattle, but he shares it with a lot of people because that loss was a team effort. Everybody had their shoulder to the wheel in making that happen.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ian Rappaport reported that the Browns were still committed to Kitchens beyond this season. I wonder if that's the case now? Knowing the Browns, yes.

TexasCheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say if anyone blew a couple of Super Bowl seasons it was Ted. McCarthy gets some blame for the NFCCG against Seattle, but he shares it with a lot of people because that loss was a team effort. Everybody had their shoulder to the wheel in making that happen.
I mean I do agree! It wasn’t just a bad coaching job, they almost refused to get help and the team was dying.but...He kept dom capers wayyyyy to long....that defensive unit was awful but made worse by that guy in the end.
Like I said though I liked MM, he just lost the team in the end and his offensive game plan never changed after everyone figured it out.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy was a very successful coaching during most of his tenure in Green Bay. While it was time for the Packers to move on he deserves another shot.
McCarthy had Brett Farve and Aaron Rodgers. Two hall of famers.

D

Deleted member 6794

I mean I do agree! It wasn’t just a bad coaching job, they almost refused to get help and the team was dying.but...He kept dom capers wayyyyy to long....that defensive unit was awful but made worse by that guy in the end.
Like I said though I liked MM, he just lost the team in the end and his offensive game plan never changed after everyone figured it out.

Once again, it was time to move on from McCarthy last season but overall the offense was great for most of his tenure ranking third in the league in points scored.

McCarthy had Brett Farve and Aaron Rodgers. Two hall of famers.

McCarthy deserves credit for revitalizing Favre's career as well as the development of Rodgers though.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy was a very successful coaching during most of his tenure in Green Bay. While it was time for the Packers to move on he deserves another shot.
I agree he deserves another shot, I’m just not sure where that would be. MLF’s success post-MM doesn’t help MM’s case (fair or not.....), but he has a lot to offer, and I still consider him to be an exceptional QB coach. Makes me think Cleveland is the best place for him. A lot of talent on that ship, just not a rudder in Kitchens. That job would come with an extra amount of heat. Carolina might be better, where he’d get a little breathing room. Should be interesting to see where he lands (if he really wants to coach, that is).

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there's any doubt he wants to coach again. MLF is having a bit more success, but he also doesn't have a hobbled Rodgers and our young WR's though ineffective still are in year 2, not 1. and Defense has Smith, Smith, 2nd year Jaire, Amos and Savage. Contrast with what we had last year.

our team is better, so is our record, but we were still in the playoff picture until later and that was with Rodgers playing the entire year on a fx in his leg.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there's any doubt he wants to coach again. MLF is having a bit more success, but he also doesn't have a hobbled Rodgers and our young WR's though ineffective still are in year 2, not 1. and Defense has Smith, Smith, 2nd year Jaire, Amos and Savage. Contrast with what we had last year.

our team is better, so is our record, but we were still in the playoff picture until later and that was with Rodgers playing the entire year on a fx in his leg.
Agreed, the addition of the Smith’s has had a huge impact on the win total, as has the play of rookie Jenkins. On a different subject, I’m looking for this new and improved (not perfect) team to come out of Minny with a win. That would be YUGE!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
recent history says the game in MN will be really tough to come away with a win. Both teams aren't without their strengths and weaknesses, so we'll see. I'd rather win for sure, but a playoff game back here in 2 weeks against the vikings sounds nice too :)

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
recent history says the game in MN will be really tough to come away with a win. Both teams aren't without their strengths and weaknesses, so we'll see. I'd rather win for sure, but a playoff game back here in 2 weeks against the vikings sounds nice too :)
Agree. Worse case is they lose this weekend, beat the Lions, and host the Queens in the playoffs. That’s one way to send the Queens home, but I’m still holding out for a first round bye.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

The difference for me is that, right wrong or indifferent, McCarthy was just growing a little stale. Not even just schematically, just as 'the' voice in the locker room. I think his voice grew stale, and I don't think he had total control of the team. It's been interesting to have several players come out and say that the locker room atmosphere is better, and that guys weren't being held accountable.

I have the utmost appreciation for McCarthy and what he meant to the Packers for over a decade. But it was time for new leadership and fresh ideas. You can just see the energy level revitalized. To your point, a lot of that indeed has to do with the Smiths and some of the acquisitions.

McCarthy should (and in my opinion will) be an NFL head coach again. And I'm sure he will be successful. But his tenure in Green Bay had simply run its course.

Also - not that this has anything to do with the above (or perhaps it does), but for one reason or another, the Packers were just quite simply never the same after the 2014 NFCCG. For what reason, I am not sure. But I think that was the beginning of the loss of 'fizz' or 'juice' as Rodgers likes to call it with McCarthy.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm sure it's a breath of fresh air in that locker room this year. I thought given time he'd get the team back, but he didn't.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The difference for me is that, right wrong or indifferent, McCarthy was just growing a little stale. Not even just schematically, just as 'the' voice in the locker room. I think his voice grew stale, and I don't think he had total control of the team. It's been interesting to have several players come out and say that the locker room atmosphere is better, and that guys weren't being held accountable.

I have the utmost appreciation for McCarthy and what he meant to the Packers for over a decade. But it was time for new leadership and fresh ideas. You can just see the energy level revitalized. To your point, a lot of that indeed has to do with the Smiths and some of the acquisitions.

McCarthy should (and in my opinion will) be an NFL head coach again. And I'm sure he will be successful. But his tenure in Green Bay had simply run its course.

Also - not that this has anything to do with the above (or perhaps it does), but for one reason or another, the Packers were just quite simply never the same after the 2014 NFCCG. For what reason, I am not sure. But I think that was the beginning of the loss of 'fizz' or 'juice' as Rodgers likes to call it with McCarthy.
The 2014 NFCCG has everything to do with the ultimate demise of MM. Statistically, it was almost impossible for GB to lose that game at some point in Q3. We know how it ended. MM chose to play not to lose. I really think it’s as simple as that.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 2014 NFCCG has everything to do with the ultimate demise of MM. Statistically, it was almost impossible for GB to lose that game at some point in Q3. We know how it ended. MM chose to play not to lose. I really think it’s as simple as that.
That game still stings, probably the worst Packers loss ever. Not sure if we'll ever get the stink of that one off of us.

Anyway, I agree McCarthy was too conservative in that one, but others contributed to the loss as well. If you look at Sunday's game against the Bears, it wasn't all that different. We built a lead, tried to run the ball in the second half to burn the clock, the other team knew we were going to run and shut it down, we couldn't convert the third down, and the other team got the ball back. One of the big differences was the Bears weren't good enough offensively to seal the deal.

Then there are the changes in the onside kick rules. Would we have lost that game if it were played under current rules? Things like this will drive you crazy if you let it.

i'm sure it's a breath of fresh air in that locker room this year. I thought given time he'd get the team back, but he didn't.
I definitely think it was time for McCarthy to move on. But I can't help but wonder what the Packers W-L record would be today if McCarthy had stayed? Given that this is the healthiest the team has been in years, would we still be 11-3?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you look at Sunday's game against the Bears, it wasn't all that different. We built a lead, tried to run the ball in the second half to burn the clock, the other team knew we were going to run and shut it down, we couldn't convert the third down, and the other team got the ball back. One of the big differences was the Bears weren't good enough offensively to seal the deal.
Didn't we have 3 and outs for negative yards on like 3 or 4 of our drives in the 4th quarter trying to run the clock out? I mean we won, but we didn't wind that game down like we should have. I hope they get better from it.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't we have 3 and outs for negative yards on like 3 or 4 of our drives in the 4th quarter trying to run the clock out?
In the Bears game? Our last four possessions were three and outs. And the one before that six plays and punt. I'm sure they knew we were going to try and run it, but obviously you'd like to be a little more effective than that.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't see Cleveland hiring McCarthy - not with Monken there who almost won our coaching job.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree he deserves another shot, I’m just not sure where that would be. MLF’s success post-MM doesn’t help MM’s case (fair or not.....), but he has a lot to offer, and I still consider him to be an exceptional QB coach. Makes me think Cleveland is the best place for him. A lot of talent on that ship, just not a rudder in Kitchens. That job would come with an extra amount of heat. Carolina might be better, where he’d get a little breathing room. Should be interesting to see where he lands (if he really wants to coach, that is).

McCarthy definitely wants to coach again next season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...s-coach-mike-mccarthy-eyes-nfl-return-in-2020

Worse case is they lose this weekend, beat the Lions, and host the Queens in the playoffs.

I don't want to play devil's advocate but the Packers could lose at Detroit as well.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
The fact that he is trying to put himself out there would indicate that no one has come calling yet. At some point he is going to have to sit across from a GM and provide answers to some obvious questions such as why did he hang onto Capers as long as he did and why couldn't his teams win without Rodgers?

Then there is the Tyler Dunne article that should be viewed with some skepticism but I think it at the least raises some concerns that may force a gm to perform their due diligence.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2828649-what-happened-in-green-bay

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The fact that he is trying to put himself out there would indicate that no one has come calling yet.

Not necessarily. As someone who went through job interviews many moons ago, I "put myself out there" and like MM is doing, I prepared myself. I did get offers that I wasn't interested in and thus kept looking until I found one that I wanted.

MM will coach in the NFL again, but I think its just as important to him, as it will be the team(s) that offer him the job, that its a good fit.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts