MIKE MCCARTHY FIRED!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Except that most of the "successful" college coaches are still coaching. Not sure what contracts for college coaches say about negotiating with the NFL during the season, but the college season is a month or two from being over for many of them.

I don't think MM physically being the Packers coach or not being the coach necessarily prevents the Packers organization from doing their due diligence at anytime. Basically, once that decision was known, the search began.

Yeah the stuff I’ve read had stated that with regards specifically to a guy like Lincoln Riley who has a game coming up on the 29th iirc, packers could reach out to him now despite him still being in season, and that Riley could take a few days from his schedule to hear them out.

Nagler also recently said that people within the nfl mentioned that had the packers so much as made a single call about replacing MM while MM was still our coach, that news woulda spread like wildfire. That would’ve created even more problems, so it was probably best to get MM out of there when they did so they can at least begin their search through the college ranks and get the month headstart on that before they dip into the NFL prospective replacements at the end of the season.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
About time. After we lose to a bottom tier team, at home. This was finally the last straw. Thanks for the SB win, but we've been terrible for years.
Terrible since the awful playoff loss to the Hags in 2014. For all the reasons that game was lost, MM deserved to be fired. So IMO this is long overdue.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get all that and agree with some of it, just seems to be a code of conduct in the NFL, and coaches teams can’t wait to rid themselves of, do what GB did. I think MM has earned more than that, despite our recent failures.
Agreed. I admit I’ve been calling for him to be fired for awhile. But I thought it would be today. Just common courtesy. As someone pointed out, the Cards hadn’t even left town yet and MM had just finished his press appearance. Just seems cold.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It's not that they fired him before the season was up. I have no problems letting the man go. The writing was on the wall, everyone can move on and feel as good as they can about a firing anyway. Just found it a bit distasteful to have it done and announced before the Cardinals plane even left the airport. At least give it the look of having a sit down talk with the coach and we'll announce it in the morning rather than the, "we couldn't wait to get his *** out of here" treatment. I don't expect some posters to understand, as it's obvious they don't really have a lot of appreciation or respect for anything. But I think quite a few of you do.

maybe there's other stuff that happened we don't know about. Maybe it was all known ahead of time. it's not like it's totally coming from left field.

Not agreeing or disagreeing with your points, but I think one thing is for certain, news of things like this get out to the media/internet really fast and Murphy wanted to be ahead of the news/rumors and look as if he was in control. I am guessing the Packers had a "when to pull the trigger timeline agreed to by everyone involved in the decision and losing to the Cardinals ticked one of the boxes to set it in motion. So yes, it seems like a suck *** thing to do to a guy that has been dedicated to the Packers for a long time, but whether you fire the guy now, at the end of the season, while holding a box of chocolates and a bouquet of flowers, the end result is the same, he is fired. Both sides can move forward now.

As an ex Girlfriend once said to me "you guys are so damn wishy washy, just break up with me now already, because I am not going to do it for you!"

fix8ed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The same talking tv heads now remonstrating over the abrupt dismissal of McCarthy are the same media buffoons who would cite the Packers as "tanking" should McCarthy's retention have resulted in GB losses. The NFL is a business and GB is a tremendously popular team not only in Lambeau but every everywhere else as well. There is a reason why you have never see the Packers play in Wembley. They make too much money for NFL teams, particularly the poorer ones. So...they did what a solvent franchise should, and released McCarthy inorder to give Philbin a look. And notably, Mike's one year contract amounted to an ultimatum...and he knew it. The booing at end of yesterday's game was not unheard by Murphy and his finger had already been on the trigger anyway.

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This franchise hasn't recovered from January 18th, 2015. That was the day the decline started. I'll remember that game just as much as the SB win.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This franchise hasn't recovered from January 18th, 2015. That was the day the decline started. I'll remember that game just as much as the SB win.

That is true. That loss was mostly on him. But to be fair he did make it back to the NFC-C game in 2016. That loss was mostly on Capers.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just read this in an article:

"McCarthy, the only other coach in franchise history to win a championship, was honored with a side street off of Holmgren Way that's all of three blocks long and consists of the backside of the Packers' practice facility, a few local businesses, and port-a-potty storage."

Didn't realize McCarthy Way was a joke street.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. I admit I’ve been calling for him to be fired for awhile. But I thought it would be today. Just common courtesy. As someone pointed out, the Cards hadn’t even left town yet and MM had just finished his press appearance. Just seems cold.

Cold for sure - definitely a new regime in town. Jordy Nelson - offer him the league minimum or cut his ***. McCarthy - fire his *** before he even gets into the locker room.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish they had waited until today to fire MM. I half expected it. To do it last night, right after the press conference, seems unusually inconsiderate.
Inconsiderate would have been making him sweat it out all night losing sleep over not knowing what will happen today. They did it right.

ShockwaveRider

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank the Lord, even if it happened three years too late.

Screw the "classy / classless" babbling.

Rejoice.

For the firing of Mike McCarthy shall set us free.

Shockwave

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The same talking tv heads now remonstrating over the abrupt dismissal of McCarthy are the same media buffoons who would cite the Packers as "tanking" should McCarthy's retention have resulted in GB losses.

Yup, it doesn't sell print or air time if you agree with things. There will always be a faction of the media as well as the fans, that prefer to just always look at the negative sides of things. You can't operate under the assumption that you have to please that faction, because you never will.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, and while it is unfortunate because he did bring good things to the organization and unfortunately sports is a 'what have you done for me lately' business. People forget what he did when he took over. But I don't know if there was a good timing for this. It is like watching a train crash right now, he knows it is coming, the fans know, everyone knows. After a loss like this, cut ties. It gives the candidates that may be considered a chance to know this job is open. It gives MM a chance to decompress of the stress of knowing you're going to be fired. Let's him have a little Xmas vacation with his family. Doesn't need to travel. It gets him out of the spotlight, off the hot seat, social media won't be calling for his head anymore. Now he can lay low and let the smoke settle. He will land on his feet somewhat, he has money. Never want to see someone lose their job. Never a good time. But rip the bandaid off.
MM will get another job, very quickly. He also has a year left on his contract. I don't know the exact money, but I bet it is close to a mil. No need to cry for MM.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about $6 mil? Throughout sports, one of the reasons I follow but don't care any more. The folks that pay the freight can hardly even dream of a situation like that.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
How about $6 mil? Throughout sports, one of the reasons I follow but don't care any more. The folks that pay the freight can hardly even dream of a situation like that.

Less than the cost of a busted out medium priced Free Agent and an Ultra Caramel Frappuccino
at Starbucks! :coffee:

fix8ed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
https://thebiglead.com/2018/10/15/terry-bradshaw-mike-mccarthy-aaron-rodgers/

Back at the end of 2016 Bradshaw said he'd take McCarthy over Rodgers. It has been clear over time Terry much prefers his era's attitude over today's football guys as he's also been very critical of Steeler successors Mike Tomlin and Ben Roethlisberger. McCarthy seems to have an old school persona about him Bradshaw approves.
McCarthy grew up in Pittsburgh. Bradshaw played there. Bothen are popular there. Bradshaw won't be rocking any boats on this topic.

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I joined the forum because of that game. Shock, no way any quality coach loses that game. That's when he should have been fired.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cold for sure - definitely a new regime in town. Jordy Nelson - offer him the league minimum or cut his ***. McCarthy - fire his *** before he even gets into the locker room.
Yeah the handling of Jordy shouldn’t make this a surprise (unfortunately). Really thought the organization had more class, like the Harlan/Wolf era.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah the handling of Jordy shouldn’t make this a surprise (unfortunately). Really thought the organization had more class, like the Harlan/Wolf era.

Oh cmon man, Jordy wasn’t playing to his contract. Hell, there’s about 6 more vets on this team not playing to their huge contracts who I’d love to part ways with. Jordy was a legend, always will be one of my top 5 favorite packers. But the nfl is a business, and those that don’t make good business decisions get left behind unfortunately. He’s still has millions from catching a leather ball for a living. Getting let go for not playing up to snuff is a tiny price to pay for the lifestyle he’s able to live now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts