MIKE MCCARTHY FIRED!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 6794

And as I posted in another thread, if Seattle and Dallas win Sunday, our opponents would be identical to 2008.

The Eagles win the East if they defeat the Giants on Sunday.

Much like Brett Favre when he came back wearing Purple? ;)

Completely different story as Favre forced his way onto the Vikings while the Packers fired McCarthy.

MM wouldn't be cheered if he returned as the head coach of a divisional rival though.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Eagles win the East if they defeat the Giants on Sunday.

Completely different story as Favre forced his way onto the Vikings while the Packers fired McCarthy.

MM wouldn't be cheered if he returned as the head coach of a divisional rival though.

My statement was tongue in cheek but I think we both agree, the team that a former Packer Player/coach comes back with to Lambeau, is one variable that can probably alter some fans feelings towards that person. For instance, had Favre played in Green Bay as a NY Jet, I don't think he gets quite the cold reception that he received walking into Lambeau as a Viking.

Obviously, how that player left the Packers has some bearing as well. I have a feeling that Jordy Nelson could have signed with either the Bears or Vikings and his reception back in Green Bay might have been a bit warmer than the one that Favre got.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have you guys gotten a chance to see the Piece Peter King did on MM about two weeks ago? I had no ideal he still lived in Green Bay. He talks about returning to coaching next year and how he wants a young QB. I watched the entire interview. Idk if the guy has changed his approach much, but I can see Cleveland taking a gander on him and then firing him mid season haha

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy met with the Browns on Thursday, meeting with Cowboys today.

You know what I think about this Cowboys mess? I think the reason why they haven't flat out fired Garrett is because Jerry can't find somebody to coach for him. It will either be a college coach who doesn't know any better or they'll be the last team to find a coach and it will be somebody who's bottom shelf. Maybe Mike Sherman is available too?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the reason why they haven't flat out fired Garrett is because Jerry can't find somebody to coach for him.
His contract has expired. No reason to come out and fire him. Garrett is a free agent. Unless Jerruh gets Jason to sign on again, he is not coaching for him.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right his contract did expire so he can't theoretically be fired but he seems to be lingering around Dallas for some reason and I'm betting it's for lack of candidates. Just got word Marvin Lewis is interviewing today, but he very well could be their Rooney Rule candidate.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't recall ever a coach leaving a team and not being fired or retiring. Owners don't like having a lame duck. Tougher to attract FAs or maintain order in the lockerroom.

There is some talent to work with in Dallas. Just poor coaching. FO has done better acquiring talent since Jerry reduced his role.

There are always good candidates that will take any opportunity that comes along. Giving Garrett 10 years is actually a huge plus for candidates. Now Al Davis towards the end had difficulties finding guys who even would interview. He gave coaches a year or 2 to prove themselves. But seeing Jerry give Garrett ample opportunity to prove himself is a pressure free environment to shape this team.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt the next coach gets a 10 year contract though, maybe 5-7 but not 10. Depending on Cooper's status, they'd pretty much have the rest of Dak & Zeke's careers to get a ring, which is a pretty good nucleus offensively.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Next coach won’t get 10 year contract, but if a top candidate has his choice, he will take a team that is patient vs an impatient owner, ie. Cowboys vs Browns. That is what Amish is talking about, I think. And sorry if I am misunderstanding you Amish.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right his contract did expire so he can't theoretically be fired but he seems to be lingering around Dallas for some reason and I'm betting it's for lack of candidates.
Garrett had several publicized meetings with Jerry Jones in the days following the season. I wonder what they were talking about, or if Jerry was blowing smoke up his ****? Jerry is supposedly fond of him so I wonder if he might end up staying with the Cowboys in some capacity, although reports are he wouldn't be offered a front office job.

I want McCarthy to get a coaching spot, but I hope it's not in Dallas. I don't want to be forced to start hating on him.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should make bets on when this thread gets changed to MM is hired and by which team?

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont care where he lands....wherever MM ends up it'll be the same played game plans that are easy to defend. QB coach maybe, but I think hiring him as a head coach is potentially a mistake due to his blind loyalty issues.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont care where he lands....wherever MM ends up it'll be the same played game plans that are easy to defend. QB coach maybe, but I think hiring him as a head coach is potentially a mistake due to his blind loyalty issues.
I think he has a great chance to excel with a new team. He took a year off to evaluate his self and probably has learned where he made mistakes. He was very much more successful in his first gig before being fired than both Belichek and Carroll were and they both are better the second (third for Carroll) time around.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score

I would agree but their is one team where the owner has had blind loyalty to the point of being delusional - The Cowboys / Jerry Jones. Personally, I think a coach would have to be desperate to take the Cowboys job because Jerry will be intrusive in all decision making and has final say on assistant coaches. Jerry even decides on who calls plays.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I would agree but their is one team where the owner has had blind loyalty to the point of being delusional - The Cowboys / Jerry Jones. Personally, I think a coach would have to be desperate to take the Cowboys job because Jerry will be intrusive in all decision making and has final say on assistant coaches. Jerry even decides on who calls plays.
But does Jerry open pocket book to give you all the resources a coach needs?

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM seems like a good guy but I mean come on you had both Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers as your quarterbacks and so his record will by default be good

He also had the benefit of TT being an incredible WR drafter (earlier in his career) and he only has one Super Bowl that really stands out

If MM would have set some NFL records or trends, like say Mike Martz, did in his heyday I could understand.

The only innovative concept that McCarthy set was the 5 wide empty set. But I think that that was more so having TT drafting a bunch of good WRs and having Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers as your quarterbacks which is a damn good luxury lol

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could you imagine him is Dallas using his "Throw the ball 71% of the time" offense with Zeke in the backfield?

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, I think a coach would have to be desperate to take the Cowboys job because Jerry will be intrusive in all decision making and has final say on assistant coaches.
As much as I hate the Cowboys, that's a premiere spot, and the team has a lot of talent. And Jerry may be intrusive, but as you pointed out, he's loyal. So if you can get along with Jerry, it's probably not a bad gig. Besides, if Jerry makes those decisions it's less pressure on you. And it's not like McCarthy needs the money.

I was thinking there's no way McCarthy gets that job, but the Packers have had the Cowboys number for awhile. That may have impressed Jerry enough to persuade him in that direction. I don't look for it, but could happen.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
But does Jerry open pocket book to give you all the resources a coach needs?

Jerry has no problem writing checks and will go out and try to acquire players but it also has not worked out for the last 25 years. Jerry cannot keep his hands off when it comes to coaching because he does not really want to share credit for success. With the exception of Jason Garrett, no head coach has lasted more than 4 years since Jimmy Johnson who only had five years with the Cowboys. Check your ego at the door, defer to Jerry, and you can stay a while.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Jerry has no problem writing checks and will go out and try to acquire players but it also has not worked out for the last 25 years. Jerry cannot keep his hands off when it comes to coaching because he does not really want to share credit for success. With the exception of Jason Garrett, no head coach has lasted more than 4 years since Jimmy Johnson who only had five years with the Cowboys. Check your ego at the door, defer to Jerry, and you can stay a while.
Was more rhetorical

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmm, they just announced that Garrett was fired. Is it coincidence that they just got done interviewing McCarthy extensively?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts