MIKE MCCARTHY FIRED!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm happy MM is gone, but I am worried that whoever comes next won't be much better. For now Philbin? I know he wont be our long term guy but he is bad. No names out there thrill me. Its good MM is gone, but bad cause no other names make me happy at the moment.

This is why I never wanted him to get fired when we were making the playoffs. Firing is the easy part while picking a replacement is the hard one. Believe it or not, the wrong guy could definitely make things worse than they are even now which is why this will really require Brian Gute to prove his worth. For now, we gotta try and salvage whatever we can out of this season and hope we didn't blow our chance to send Rodgers to one more SB before his career is over.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally I think I'd rather see Mike McCarthy end up in Tampa Bay instead of Cleveland. The players down there are better cut out for his scheme.

Reaction score
This is why I never wanted him to get fired when we were making the playoffs. Firing is the easy part while picking a replacement is the hard one. Believe it or not, the wrong guy could definitely make things worse than they are even now which is why this will really require Brian Gute to prove his worth. For now, we gotta try and salvage whatever we can out of this season and hope we didn't blow our chance to send Rodgers to one more SB before his career is over.

We can hope right? I would LOVE one more SB for us in the Rodgers era obviously, but lets say that doesn't happen. If in the future when Rodgers is ready to hang it up or just about to, if we could draft a QB and have Rodgers mentor him before he retired for about a year or so, that would be a huge win and great way to end his career in my book. Packerland is often divided between Favre and Rodgers (I am a Favre guy personally). But Aaron would have the ability to do one thing that Favre refused to do; breed a successor. People talk about Aarons attitude all the time, but what if he mentored a replacement? Prolly never gonna happen but whatever lol

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We can hope right? I would LOVE one more SB for us in the Rodgers era obviously, but lets say that doesn't happen. If in the future when Rodgers is ready to hang it up or just about to, if we could draft a QB and have Rodgers mentor him before he retired for about a year or so, that would be a huge win and great way to end his career in my book. Packerland is often divided between Favre and Rodgers (I am a Favre guy personally). But Aaron would have the ability to do one thing that Favre refused to do; breed a successor. People talk about Aarons attitude all the time, but what if he mentored a replacement? Prolly never gonna happen but whatever lol

Tough to say, although to be fair, I'm not sure who the last great QB was on any NFL team who really actually "mentored" a guy was.

Reaction score
Tough to say, although to be fair, I'm not sure who the last great QB was on any NFL team who really actually "mentored" a guy was.

Good point :coffee: The reason I even bring up that is because I just lack confidence in the timely ability to build up this roster. I think our front office knows how, I just fear its gonna take longer than I would like with a 35 year old QB. But maybe I am being pessimistic there.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Still surprised they didn't let him finish the season after the success he had previously. Hell, they let Thompson and Capers finish out their respective season.
I think in the long run they did McCarthy a favor. Losing yesterday was the final nail in a decision that was probably already 99% made. So after the clock hit 00:00 yesterday, MM became a Lame Duck coach. I can't imagine wanting to be in his shoes for the next 4 weeks, knowing he is out but having to act like he is in. Not just at press conferences but with his fellow coaches and the players.

I think the "shock" factor of how quick the decision was made and the fact that it finally was made with a guy that has been around a long time, is taking a lot of peoples emotions by surprise, but when the dust settles, this was the right decision at the right time IMO.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If they organization lets Rodgers call the shots for the next hire, I will have no respect for him or the organization. I can see them taking his input into consideration but that's it.
I don't think there is really anyway around that at this point. We have seen how AR reacted when Alex Van Pelt was ousted, when Jordy was cut and what happens when he doesn't agree with MM or fellow players in general. Love him or hate him, the Packers are "stuck" with #12 and are going to have to figure out a way to get him on board with the direction they take.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the "shock" factor of how quick the decision was made and the fact that it finally was made with a guy that has been around a long time, is taking a lot of peoples emotions by surprise, but when the dust settles, this was the right decision at the right time IMO.

Agree. Plus it gives MM a month to clear his head before black Monday and give him time to think about what he might want to do next year.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this is just the beginning for more of the assistant coaches to be fired in the off season too. I also believe many of the starters won't be around next year.. This will be a very different team next year and we will begin to see more of the Gute team

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think in the long run they did McCarthy a favor. Losing yesterday was the final nail in a decision that was probably already 99% made. So after the clock hit 00:00 yesterday, MM became a Lame Duck coach. I can't imagine wanting to be in his shoes for the next 4 weeks, knowing he is out but having to act like he is in. Not just at press conferences but with his fellow coaches and the players.

Maybe, and maybe they gave MM the option and that was his preference. Just felt a little disrespectful for a guy who was been with the teams for many playoff appearances, a superbowl, has a street named after him in GB etc. Perhaps the rumors of the pissing contest with AR are true and he just wanted out ASAP.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm happy MM is gone, but I am worried that whoever comes next won't be much better. For now Philbin? I know he wont be our long term guy but he is bad. No names out there thrill me. Its good MM is gone, but bad cause no other names make me happy at the moment.
In a surprise move, the Packers announce Al Pacino as their new head coach because he played one in a movie once.
They would have picked Ernest Borgnine since he played Lombardi in a TV movie biopic but being dead is a bit of an inconvenience.
Don't believe me?
Just ask the Packers offense of this season.
Hey-Oo!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Maybe, and maybe they gave MM the option and that was his preference. Just felt a little disrespectful for a guy who was been with the teams for many playoff appearances, a superbowl, has a street named after him in GB etc. Perhaps the rumors of the pissing contest with AR are true and he just wanted out ASAP.
I kind of doubt they gave MM an option here, if that leaked out (after he decided, either way), it doesn't really help either side. He stays or leaves, Murphy/Gute may look like nice guys, but also to some, they will look like guys that aren't fully in control and can't make a decisive decision. He opts to leave, MM looks like a quitter. I also don't think you do the organization or players any good by keeping MM on to try and coach the team for 4 weeks, him knowing fully well that he is out the door at the end.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One positive reason of firing him now instead of after the season is because they can reach out to college coaches now right? at least begin the process.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not that they fired him before the season was up. I have no problems letting the man go. The writing was on the wall, everyone can move on and feel as good as they can about a firing anyway. Just found it a bit distasteful to have it done and announced before the Cardinals plane even left the airport. At least give it the look of having a sit down talk with the coach and we'll announce it in the morning rather than the, "we couldn't wait to get his *** out of here" treatment. I don't expect some posters to understand, as it's obvious they don't really have a lot of appreciation or respect for anything. But I think quite a few of you do.

maybe there's other stuff that happened we don't know about. Maybe it was all known ahead of time. it's not like it's totally coming from left field.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
One positive reason of firing him now instead of after the season is because they can reach out to college coaches now right? at least begin the process.
Except that most of the "successful" college coaches are still coaching. Not sure what contracts for college coaches say about negotiating with the NFL during the season, but the college season is a month or two from being over for many of them.

I don't think MM physically being the Packers coach or not being the coach necessarily prevents the Packers organization from doing their due diligence at anytime. Basically, once that decision was known, the search began.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most of these coaches people are brining up can't even be contacted now anyway. There is benefit in that, the distraction is over, we know this team is headed in a new direction. Player evaluation what's going to happen going forward and let the the people out there know, there is a job opening here. But most of those people are under contract and need team permission to talk with anyway. We're getting into crunch time of the season, i doubt Reid is going to say, what they heck, why don't you take time out from our team prep and go talk to the Packers about leaving. If anything i'm asking EB if he wants an assistant head coaching title and a big bump in pay after the packers announce the firing.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

i think in the short term too. he can now have a stress free holiday month to decompress. another four weeks of questions and half-*** efforts wouldn't do him any good.
as for shock factor, i don't think it was as quick as some might think. they gave MM a 1 year extension out of respect to him for when things would end. Rodgers has pretty much been playing like this for 3 seasons. MM was toast the minute they extended Rodgers. this should have been a prove it year for both of them but the scales were tipped with Rodgers signature. now Rodgers gets a pass for a bad year that they're both responsible for. this better be some off-season, and next couple of years, for it to be worth it. i'll go on record and say a 10-6 season in the next 3 years will be pretty much a miracle because Rodgers is prima donna, in decline, and that contract is going to weigh heavy starting in 2020.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It maybe fixed now..

BTW.. MM doesn't report to him now
LOL! Thanks for the welcome correction. Things changed so quickly I forgot to revert to past tense. At any rate, I hope Murphy goes back to a traditional org structure (this structure of HC, GM, and HOFO reporting directly to him seemed designed to not rattle MM, now not a factor). I’d rather see the GM making the coaching and player calls. I’m hopeful Murphy will, for the most part, delegate the HC search and selection to Gluten.

And that won’t be an easy job. Yeah I expect the GB HC will be a coveted position, and the Packers should have the pick of the litter. But I look at all those former BB coordinators and their lack of success, and realize it isn’t as easy as picking an OC or DC from a successful team. My preference is for a younger person with a strong background in defense, and an appreciation for how recent rule changes have largely favored the offense. I hope Pettine stays, but that’s not guaranteed. And hey, Pettine may be a candidate for the job....

I admit, I don’t know who would be a good candidate. Something tells me that Gluten will surprise us with the pick. With ARod’s career in its twilight, this is one call Gluten and Murphy have to get right. No mulligans on this one.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most of these coaches people are brining up can't even be contacted now anyway. There is benefit in that, the distraction is over, we know this team is headed in a new direction. Player evaluation what's going to happen going forward and let the the people out there know, there is a job opening here. But most of those people are under contract and need team permission to talk with anyway. We're getting into crunch time of the season, i doubt Reid is going to say, what they heck, why don't you take time out from our team prep and go talk to the Packers about leaving. If anything i'm asking EB if he wants an assistant head coaching title and a big bump in pay after the packers announce the firing.
Good point. Very likely that anyone worth considering is going to be focused on the SB for the next 6 or 7 weeks. But for some reason, I feel good having finally gotten this over. MM was gone anyway after the season. This was more like an act of mercy. MM will land somewhere, I think. Most people seem to think it’s Cleveland. I doubt that Dorsey or Wolf have MM in mind. Then again, I might be wrong.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think in the short term too. he can now have a stress free holiday month to decompress. another four weeks of questions and half-*** efforts wouldn't do him any good.
as for shock factor, i don't think it was as quick as some might think. they gave MM a 1 year extension out of respect to him for when things would end. Rodgers has pretty much been playing like this for 3 seasons. MM was toast the minute they extended Rodgers. this should have been a prove it year for both of them but the scales were tipped with Rodgers signature. now Rodgers gets a pass for a bad year that they're both responsible for. this better be some off-season, and next couple of years, for it to be worth it. i'll go on record and say a 10-6 season in the next 3 years will be pretty much a miracle because Rodgers is prima donna, in decline, and that contract is going to weigh heavy starting in 2020.
I can’t disagree with you on Rodgers, only hope that his “decline” isn’t really happening. But he’s had a lousy year, and that can’t be pinned on MM. I hope that with off-season personnel moves, this team gets back to an 11-win season. I think your 10-6 though is more likely.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. I don’t think keeping MM would have put us in the best situation to win at least one more SB while ARod is playing. But as you aptly point out, the decision to fire MM was the easy one. Gluten only gets one chance here. And I’m not crazy about the replacements mentioned. Hopefully we’ll be pleasantly surprised by whomever he picks. There’s time. As for Joe Philbin, I think his best years are behind him.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'll go on record and say a 10-6 season in the next 3 years will be pretty much a miracle because Rodgers is prima donna, in decline, and that contract is going to weigh heavy starting in 2020.

Bookmarked now and I'm going to come back next year and tell you just how dead wrong you were.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not that they fired him before the season was up. I have no problems letting the man go. The writing was on the wall, everyone can move on and feel as good as they can about a firing anyway. Just found it a bit distasteful to have it done and announced before the Cardinals plane even left the airport. At least give it the look of having a sit down talk with the coach and we'll announce it in the morning rather than the, "we couldn't wait to get his *** out of here" treatment. I don't expect some posters to understand, as it's obvious they don't really have a lot of appreciation or respect for anything. But I think quite a few of you do.

maybe there's other stuff that happened we don't know about. Maybe it was all known ahead of time. it's not like it's totally coming from left field.
I wish they had waited until today to fire MM. I half expected it. To do it last night, right after the press conference, seems unusually inconsiderate.

Puppydog31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m reading all these posts that say “they shouldn’t have fired MM”. I watched that cardinals game and I thought it was the most boring game I’ve ever watched. It seemed like both teams wanted to lose. The packer team excitement was way down. The team had no spirit. They weren’t playing well in the second half, and most of the bars were suffering because no one wanted to watch them anymore..now my question to all you MM supporters..what were the packers supposed to do? Bench Rodgers? Bench the whole defense? Bench the OL? Something needed to be done now to give this season any shred of excitement..MM was going to be fired at the end of the season even if they went 4-0 . I for one am a little excited to watch next weeks game to see if these players actually wake up. I wouldn’t even watch the game if MM was still the coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts