MIKE MCCARTHY FIRED!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilaPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well things are looking good for the Panthers, former coach Mike McCarthy being interviewed for the head coach spot. Would be looking interesting when the PACKERS face the PANTHERS and he is their HC. Packers wont face the PANTHERS until 2021 season.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish him luck as well, but it doesn't take a short memory to recall his offensive schemes slowly (and then rapidly) snowballing into mediocrity, and then predicability.

Maybe 30 years into coaching he's taken this year and done what he's claimed: completely reinvented his coaching "wheel", and will come out the 55 y.o. next gen stats coach able to scheme around statistical football.

My guess is the moment he is down, we will see the "old MM" We know and love.

Besides, it's all about pad levels folks. Always has been. Always will be. :tup:

Personally, all the things others mentioned making him a viable candidate were known last year. The whole front office in CLE knew him. I think it's STILL telling that everyone passed on a "known winner" for a lot of unknown coaches, in a league known for recycling HCs.

He may get a shot again, but I think they had it right last year. If he wants to reinvent himself, head to a college program and prove it.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Personally, all the things others mentioned making him a viable candidate were known last year. The whole front office in CLE knew him. I think it's STILL telling that everyone passed on a "known winner" for a lot of unknown coaches, in a league known for recycling HCs.

He may get a shot again, but I think they had it right last year. If he wants to reinvent himself, head to a college program and prove it.

It's pretty clear that you give McCarthy absolutely no chance to make it at the Pro Level. Your recollection of last year is a bit off though. Cleveland was never a possibility for MM, he made it very clear that he was only interested in the Jets HC position. Once the Jets hired Gase, McCarthy said he was actually a bit relieved and that he would be taking the year off to be with his family and prepare himself for a future job.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well things are looking good for the Panthers, former coach Mike McCarthy being interviewed for the head coach spot. Would be looking interesting when the PACKERS face the PANTHERS and he is their HC. Packers wont face the PANTHERS until 2021 season.

Actually the Packers will be the Panthers at Lambeau next season.

D

Deleted member 6794

I wish him luck as well, but it doesn't take a short memory to recall his offensive schemes slowly (and then rapidly) snowballing into mediocrity, and then predicability.

While it was time for the Packers to move on from McCarthy last season for various reasons I have no doubt he could be responsible for another high powered offense with a different team once again.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Likelihood I go:
1. CLE - lots of talent and high potential young QB
2. NYJ - need to clear some dead weight, but another young QB with lots o potential.
3. WAS - if Snyder is not in the equation for GM, there is a core of talent
4. DAL - Jones is the detraction. Not sure the QB is a stud, but you can win with him.
5. CAR - have to get rid of Cam.
I suppose if MM had his pick he’d take Dallas. They have a lot of talent. Their poor play this year in particular still baffles me.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you sure? I thought we play NFC South next season.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suppose if MM had his pick he’d take Dallas. They have a lot of talent. Their poor play this year in particular still baffles me.
I've heard McCarthy's name come up for the Cowboys several times, but my gut feeling is that Jerry Jones doesn't hire him. Just a feeling.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:whistling:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
The standings only apply to the 2 divisions that you do NOT play. Every year we face one complete division in both the AFC and the NFC. And since we faced the NFC South in 2017 we should be playing that division in 2020, which means the Saints, Panthers, Falcons, and Bucs.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've heard McCarthy's name come up for the Cowboys several times, but my gut feeling is that Jerry Jones doesn't hire him. Just a feeling.
It is a good feeling. Jones is just that way. He usually likes coaches with a swagger about them. Not that he has always hired one. I think Jones wants a young fiery coach like he is seeing around the league now. Not sure if he wants someone with a ton of experience.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The standings only apply to the 2 divisions that you do NOT play. Every year we face one complete division in both the AFC and the NFC. And since we faced the NFC South in 2017 we should be playing that division in 2020, which means the Saints, Panthers, Falcons, and Bucs.
Sorry quoted wrong poster

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Bad luck of the draw on next years schedule when it comes to Home and Away.

• Packers @ the top 2 teams from the NFC South (Saints and Bucs).
  • Packers @ the top team from the AFC South (Texans).
  • Packers @ the top NFC West Team (49'ers or Seahawks).
As the first place team in the North, its predetermined that their 2 "flex games" are played against the top teams in the NFC W and NFC E. But I would rather travel to Dallas/Philly than have to go to San Fran or Seattle.

Now I realize that teams may be better or worse the next season, but could end up being a very tough road schedule if those 4 teams play the same or better next season.

OK. Just so everyone knows: We DO face the Panthers in 2020 even if MM is their coach. I believe PhillyFan wrote that it would not be until 2021.

Yes, at Lambeau. Packers fans will be able to cheer or Boo MM if he becomes the next Panther HC.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
OK. Just so everyone knows: We DO face the Panthers in 2020 even if MM is their coach. I believe PhillyFan wrote that it would not be until 2021.
2020 Schedule If season ended today
Opp W L T Win-Loss Percentage of team
Chicago Bears
7 8 0 0.467
Chicago Bears 7 8 0 0.467
Detroit Lions 3 11 1 0.233
Detroit Lions 3 11 1 0.233
Minnesota Vikings 10 5 0 0.667
Minnesota Vikings 10 5 0 0.667
Atlanta Falcons 6 9 0 0.400
Carolina Panthers 5 10 0 0.333
New Orleans Saints 12 3 0 0.800
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 7 8 0 0.467
Indianapolis Colts 7 8 0 0.467
Houston Texans 10 5 0 0.667
Jacksonville Jaguars 5 10 0 0.333
Tennessee Titans 8 7 0 0.533
San Francisco 49ers 12 3 0 0.800
Dallas Cowboys 7 8 0 0.467
119 119 2 .500
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/2020-schedule.htm

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Yes, at Lambeau. Packers fans will be able to cheer or Boo MM if he becomes the next Panther HC.
I would certainly hope that the fans at Lambeau would cheer Mike McCarthy for everything he poured into the organization for 13 years.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would certainly hope that the fans at Lambeau would cheer Mike McCarthy for everything he poured into the organization for 13 years.

Much like Brett Favre when he came back wearing Purple? ;)

Wonder if MM would be treated any differently based on what team he comes back to Lambeau as coach of. Shouldn't matter, but to some it will.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Bad luck of the draw on next years schedule when it comes to Home and Away.

• Packers @ the top 2 teams from the NFC South (Saints and Bucs).
  • Packers @ the top team from the AFC South (Texans).
  • Packers @ the top NFC West Team (49'ers or Seahawks).
As the first place team in the North, its predetermined that their 2 "flex games" are played against the top teams in the NFC W and NFC E. But I would rather travel to Dallas/Philly than have to go to San Fran or Seattle.

Now I realize that teams may be better or worse the next season, but could end up being a very tough road schedule if those 4 teams play the same or better next season.

I think majority would cheer

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think majority would cheer
I agree. The Panthers aren't the Vikings, and some fans were unhappy with the way Favre played his retirement decisions, and some of his behaviors after he was traded to the Jets.

Also, Packer fans try to be classy, and they would probably want to emulate how Toronto Raptor fans recently treated Kawhi Leonard when he returned with another team. And Kawhi left Toronto of his own volition.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Much like Brett Favre when he came back wearing Purple? ;)

Wonder if MM would be treated any differently based on what team he comes back to Lambeau as coach of. Shouldn't matter, but to some it will.
It's all about attitude. MM will always be classy and respectful and I trust fans will be classy in return. BF on the other hand chose the low road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts