Mark Murphy dodges questions on Rodgers' contract

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they can be just as lethal, maybe not as efficient - I mean last year was NUTS.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Why do I get this sinking feeling this upcoming season will be Rodgers last in Green Bay..

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do I get this sinking feeling this upcoming season will be Rodgers last in Green Bay..

Because fiscal logic dictates it is after one of the next three seasons lol. Odds keep getting greater it is each year. Factor in age as well.

Until we actually hear something confirmed and not bs speculation take it all with a grain of salt. Rodgers and the organization are not the types to discuss actual details of their life or business. There is as much likelihood they announce a massive restructure and/or nothing.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because fiscal logic dictates it is after one of the next three seasons lol. Odds keep getting greater it is each year. Factor in age as well.

Until we actually hear something confirmed and not bs speculation take it all with a grain of salt. Rodgers and the organization are not the types to discuss actual details of their life or business. There is as much likelihood they announce a massive restructure and/or nothing.

It will all depend upon how far Love is progressing and if Rodgers has a repeat of 2020. If he is still playing lights out it might be foolhardy to send him packing. It took AR more than 2 seasons to be ready to take over for Favre.

D

Deleted member 6794

This year unlike many years in the past Rodgers will have nearly ALL his targets (ALL his main ones) from the LAST TWO years "mostly" (Dillon/Deguara one year) here save for Jamaal Williams - and a MUCH smaller degree Ervin/Austin.

ADAMS, Lazard, MVS, EQSB, Marcedes, Tonyan, Jones, Dillon, Deguara....even depth guys like Jace, Dafney, Dexter Williams, Begelton, Malik Taylor are not new to Rodgers this year.

Throw in Funchess and maybe some draft picks this is easily the most cohesive/familiar group going into a season Rodgers has had the luxury of in a few years for sure.

Yes management in some ways hasn't given Rodgers clearly what he wants last few years...but there is something to say of finally giving him consistency however.

I would definitely prefer the Packers receiving corps to have more talent than being familiar with Rodgers as their quarterback. It seems Brady didn't have any issue throwing to a completely new group of receivers last year.

As for Funchess he's a year removed from playing and has to learn the playbook and develop that elusive familiarity with Rodgers.

Just for the record, in week 1 it will be two years since Funchess has played a down in the NFL.

The guys they lost were gone anyway (a little surprised they didn't keep Williams considering his price tag, and value to the locker room, but ya can't keep everyone. And RBs can be found later in the draft, as we all know.)

The Packers made the correct decision not offering Williams that kind of money to be the #3 running back.

I think they can be just as lethal, maybe not as efficient - I mean last year was NUTS.

Aside of the games against the Bucs of course.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would definitely prefer the Packers receiving corps to have more talent than being familiar with Rodgers as their quarterback. It seems Brady didn't have any issue throwing to a completely new group of receivers last year.

Not a soul said otherwise. Why do so many of your replies directed not at what someone states, but in reply to what you assume they feel further or mean beyond what they say?

I am just going to start placing disclaimers at the bottom of all my posts since so many love to draw beyond statements.

(Nothing about this post defends the logic we should ignore adding talent at WR if the right chance or situation presents itself.)

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only offensive question mark in my opinion is the offensive line. Can Stenavich adequately replace Bakhtiari and Linsely and have an effective cohesive group by the season opener? My guess is..... it probably won’t be as good as last years line in terms of being able to do just about anything they wanted to with a few notable exceptions no matter who was playing and where. I just think it’s highly unlikely that our offense will duplicate last years performance.
Agreed. I think Bakh's injury and Linsley's departure is gonna require selecting an OL, preferably an OT, in the first round. That's tough, because the D needs the most help. But, gotta protect Rodgers.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure there was much for Mark Murphy to say in this situation. If I were the Packers at this point in Rodgers career, every season would be a prove-it year. We know that he is towards the end of his career, and as they always say, it's better to shed an aging player a year early than a year late. I don't want to rush into the Jordan Love era any faster than the rest of you, but rest assured it is coming and I appreciate the Packers doing everything that they can to ensure that we aren't saddled with an enormous QB contract that prevents us from moving forward when the time comes.

It's a delicate dance that hurts a lot of feelings, but it is what it is. People got pretty butt hurt when letting Favre go. It is beginning to happen again.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hey TY, just a suggestion, but I recommend putting Captain Wimm on ignore. It seems he's irritating you like he irritates me and a lot of people on here. And his "opinions" are rarely more than personal attacks. Just a suggestion.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hey TY, just a suggestion, but I recommend putting Captain Wimm on ignore. It seems he's irritating you like he irritates me and a lot of people on here. And his "opinions" are rarely more than personal attacks. Just a suggestion.

Nah, sure @captainWIMM can irritate me, but I appreciate his knowledge of football in general and Packers. We agree quite often as well.

As for the ignore feature personally, I despise the ignore feature and don't see a use to it. Just me personally, I know many use it and do appreciate it.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nah, sure @captainWIMM can irritate me, but I appreciate his knowledge of football in general and Packers. We agree quite often as well.

As for the ignore feature personally, I despise the ignore feature and don't see a use to it. Just me personally, I know many use it and do appreciate it.
He does offer some insight now and then. It's more a style (or lack of) issue.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't want to rush into the Jordan Love era any faster than the rest of you, but rest assured it is coming and I appreciate the Packers doing everything that they can to ensure that we aren't saddled with an enormous QB contract that prevents us from moving forward when the time comes.

Once again, the Packers converting any money owned to Rodgers this season into a signing bonus wouldn't have added any cap space in total.

The one thing that is truly irritating is your inability to cope with someone disagreeing with you while voicing a different opinion. For whatever reason you confuse that with being personally attacked.

He does offer some insight now and then. It's more a style (or lack of) issue.

Well, unfortunately not everyone can have as much style as you while asking other members to ignore another one, hiding behind that feature so you don't have to cope with a response.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The bigger danger is imho
Once again, the Packers converting any money owned to Rodgers this season into a signing bonus wouldn't have added any cap space in total.
I have a question. Does the conversion not change cap space at all in the future? Does it not move the money out to the future some? And if not; then why does not everyone just do that when they make the contract?

D

Deleted member 6794

I have a question. Does the conversion not change cap space at all in the future? Does it not move the money out to the future some? And if not; then why does not everyone just do that when they make the contract?

In total, Rodgers' contract would count the exact same amount against the cap by converting his base salary into a signing bonus. With teams being allowed to roll over unused cap space into next season that move wouldn't have any affect on the Packers cap at all.

You have to consider that using the saved cap space to sign another player would result in the team having less cap space in 2022 though.

Once again, that was not what I was saying.

You mentioned that you appreciate the Packers ensuring Rodgers' contract won't prevent the team from moving on from him. I just pointed out that restructuring his contract while not adding any new money wouldn't make it more difficult by any means.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The one thing that is truly irritating is your inability to cope with someone disagreeing with you while voicing a different opinion. For whatever reason you confuse that with being personally attacked.

Well, unfortunately not everyone can have as much style as you while asking other members to ignore another one, hiding behind that feature so you don't have to cope with a response.
You're making (incorrect) assumptions and your responses sound angry and I think that says it all about your insecurity.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In total, Rodgers' contract would count the exact same amount against the cap by converting his base salary into a signing bonus. With teams being allowed to roll over unused cap space into next season that move wouldn't have any affect on the Packers cap at all.

You have to consider that using the saved cap space to sign another player would result in the team having less cap space in 2022 though.
Then I still don't understand why they just don't automatically do the contract that way. Are they worried about their self control with the extra cash?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The bigger danger is imho

I don't get all these rules around cap space, moving dollars out, dead cap, and voidable tears. It's like the government. Spend dollars you don't have today.

I can understand that a signing bonus can be allocated to future years. As for everything else, count it when it's paid.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get all these rules around cap space, moving dollars out, dead cap, and voidable tears. It's like the government. Spend dollars you don't have today.

I can understand that a signing bonus can be allocated to future years. As for everything else, count it when it's paid.
Team with the best accountant wins. :(

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Team with the best accountant wins. :(

When I started my business I was looking to hire an accountant so I set up interviews with three potential candidates.

The first candidate came in and I asked him "How much is 2 plus 2?"

He answered without hesitation "its 4"

He didn't get the job.

The second candidate came in and I asked him "How much is 2 plus 2?

He also answered without hesitation "its 4"

He didn't get the job either.

The third candidate came in and I asked him "How much is 2 plus 2?"

He looked around the room, got up from his chair slowly, went over to the door, opened it a bit and peeked out then he shut it again and locked it. Next he moved over to the window, looked outside and then closed the blinds. Finally he came around to my side of the desk, leaned in close and whispered "

" How much would you like it to be?"

He got the job.

D

Deleted member 6794

You're making (incorrect) assumptions and your responses sound angry and I think that says it all about your insecurity.

You need to realize that it's your choice how people sound when reading their posts.

About me being insecure??? Let's put it that way, I hope you don't work in an area in which you have to analyze people as you're terrible in it.

Then I still don't understand why they just don't automatically do the contract that way. Are they worried about their self control with the extra cash?

In my opinion it doesn't make any sense not to restructure Rodgers' contract. They should actually have done it before his roster bonus was due.

I I can understand that a signing bonus can be allocated to future years. As for everything else, count it when it's paid.

Aside of unlikely to be earned incentives that's exactly the way the salary cap works.

Members online

Latest posts