Next CEO after Mark Murphy

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was already known and expected. Figured the process was about to start.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since he's going to go into automatic retirement, due to age, the process will start, following the guidelines of the Rooney Rule. Even if they've already pretty much determined who will get the job (Ed Policy I'd guess), they need to follow that formality.

It's the same rule that applies when you're looking for coaches, or pretty much anyone to fill a position within an NFL team's organization. At least for any level of management, and staff.

A lot of people believe it's just a formality. But, to their credit, they're not going to just hand the job to someone they're considering at this point. They want to make sure that the person who is handed the reins is capable of moving the team forward, financially, over the next decade or two. I think that makes sense. It needs to be someone whose expertise goes outside football, into the business world, because that's essentially their responsibility. It should be someone who has the expertise to also guide a football program, by insuring the best personnel are managing that aspect of the franchise. But, hopefully, what the person won't do, is micromanage the whole football operation. That can lead to disaster.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Since he's going to go into automatic retirement, due to age, the process will start, following the guidelines of the Rooney Rule. Even if they've already pretty much determined who will get the job (Ed Policy I'd guess), they need to follow that formality.

It's the same rule that applies when you're looking for coaches, or pretty much anyone to fill a position within an NFL team's organization. At least for any level of management, and staff.

A lot of people believe it's just a formality. But, to their credit, they're not going to just hand the job to someone they're considering at this point. They want to make sure that the person who is handed the reins is capable of moving the team forward, financially, over the next decade or two. I think that makes sense. It needs to be someone whose expertise goes outside football, into the business world, because that's essentially their responsibility. It should be someone who has the expertise to also guide a football program, by insuring the best personnel are managing that aspect of the franchise. But, hopefully, what the person won't do, is micromanage the whole football operation. That can lead to disaster.
And in today's political climate the team and league will go through every social media post, like, dislike, and repost looking for anything that can be used by some dissatisfied party for leverage. Anything beyond "I see a blue sky right now" is going to be scrutinized. This also goes for any businesses the candidates have been involved with, their financial stability, environmental policies, and hiring practices. A sad state of affairs if I were asked.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Given recent Packer Culture, I'd guess they're going to look internally first. I can't even guess which current staffmember would be a good bet to step into his shoes.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Given recent Packer Culture, I'd guess they're going to look internally first. I can't even guess which current staffmember would be a good bet to step into his shoes.
Murphy wasn't from inside. He came to us from Northwestern University as their director of athletics.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Murphy wasn't from inside. He came to us from Northwestern University as their director of athletics.
Yeah... you're right; for a hire of this magnitude, I guess they'd really pretty much have to go outside the organization. The skillset and demonstrated experience that would be necessary would be way beyond anyone currently in the organization.

I should have thought of that. Thanks.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would hate to do it to Wisconsin and it might take A LOT to pluck him from his alma mater but Chris McIntosh the Athletic Director of Wisconsin is incredibly decorated and worth it IMO.

- Former college student athlete
- Professional football player and an Outland Trophy finalist when he was a Badger in 1999
-Highly successful businessman
-Wisconsin Native

Again I get it, likely he is at maybe his dream job...but what bigger dream could running the Packers be for a Wisconsin raised man?!?!

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would hate to do it to Wisconsin and it might take A LOT to pluck him from his alma mater but Chris McIntosh the Athletic Director of Wisconsin is incredibly decorated and worth it IMO.

- Former college student athlete
- Professional football player and an Outland Trophy finalist when he was a Badger in 1999
-Highly successful businessman
-Wisconsin Native

Again I get it, likely he is at maybe his dream job...but what bigger dream could running the Packers be for a Wisconsin raised man?!?!
He'd make a darned good Packer President. The job he's done at Wisconsin, in such a short time, is amazing. He's just plain taken control of the job, and is doing it without any BS accepted from the good old boy society that was so powerful.

The problem is, I don't want to see him leave Wisconsin. He's turning the programs around through his guidance.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The replacement needs to have the business acumen to continue what Murphy has done, make GB economically relevant in the future. The buildout of the whole Titletown area is what allows us to compete with Dallas and the other mega markets. MM is going down in history as a huge piece in keeping the Packers the elite franchise it is.

Just knowing football or being an ex-Packer isn't enough for this position. We have some large shoes to fill.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The replacement needs to have the business acumen to continue what Murphy has done, make GB economically relevant in the future. The buildout of the whole Titletown area is what allows us to compete with Dallas and the other mega markets. MM is going down in history as a huge piece in keeping the Packers the elite franchise it is.

Just knowing football or being an ex-Packer isn't enough for this position. We have some large shoes to fill.

The guy I mentioned is not an ex Packer FTR. He also is a very successful business minded person who has played a massive part in NIL discussions and tons of other items.

You may have meant in general so apologies if so.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You have a good point. We kind of look past that area and see it as a football move. It isn't. It's hiring a CEO to run a corporate empire, and football is part of that empire, the it's sum total.

In that respect, McIntosh probably falls short. Getting the combination of football experience, and the business acumen in one package can be a difficult find. Policy probably wouldn't quite fill those shoes on the football side. That would also raise the question as to whether or not Gute is really savvy enough to run the football operations without someone like Murphy at the helm?

Gotta think it through.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guy I mentioned is not an ex Packer FTR. He also is a very successful business minded person who has played a massive part in NIL discussions and tons of other items.

You may have meant in general so apologies if so.
Sorry, I did not mean McIntosh, I love what he has done there so far. Indeed I meant in general. Sorry for the confusion.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A Murphy story:

Hopefully, the guy follows up and applies with the Bears. Siunds like he could use Murphy as a reference.

Port cited winning fantasy football titles and playing football in high school as relevant job experience and added that he would “prefer weekends off.” He also apparently applied for the team's head coaching position before Green Bay brought on Matt LaFleur in 2019.

Whoa, that's the first I heard of that. I'm surprised not a single major media outlet broke that story at the time.

We're lucky that lost opportunity didn't come back to bite us. We may have really dodged a bullet there.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that the next CEO will have to look at the unconventional system that Murphy implemented with the GM/Coach/VP Operations to see if it is really effective. Nobody really knows how much influence Murphy has in all of the decisions. Over the years there have been conflicted reports ranging from he is "involved and supportive" to "all decisions ultimately run through him."

Personally, I don't mind the current structure if it truly does encourage effective collaboration between those three critical roles. However, it can create just as many problems as it purports to solve, if you don't have the right people in each role. We've been very successful but not ultimately successful in winning another championship.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that the next CEO will have to look at the unconventional system that Murphy implemented with the GM/Coach/VP Operations to see if it is really effective. Nobody really knows how much influence Murphy has in all of the decisions. Over the years there have been conflicted reports ranging from he is "involved and supportive" to "all decisions ultimately run through him."

Personally, I don't mind the current structure if it truly does encourage effective collaboration between those three critical roles. However, it can create just as many problems as it purports to solve, if you don't have the right people in each role. We've been very successful but not ultimately successful in winning another championship.
I think there is a good chance that there may be a changing of the hierarchy. I could see something more traditional once Murphy leaves. Or do you think Ball assumes the role over GM and Coach, allowing the new CEO to be more focused on non football operations?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Maybe I am wrong, but doesn't the Packers Executive Committee and Board of Directors make that decision or at least have a say in it?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there is a good chance that there may be a changing of the hierarchy. I could see something more traditional once Murphy leaves. Or do you think Ball assumes the role over GM and Coach, allowing the new CEO to be more focused on non football operations?
It depends on what Russ is really doing. He used to be more visible and written about more often as just the cap guru / chief negotiator. Murphy promoted him to this role to keep him from leaving the organization. What he is really doing is beyond my realm of knowledge.

If I were setting it up, I would have Russ Ball's role and the GM at the same level, with the coach underneath them and the President above them. That way the GM and cap guy need to be in agreement. Coaches can get too emotional about players, so while the GM would have ultimate authority I would find two people that can work together collaboratively. When Murphy changed the structure, to me it meant two things. He either didn't have the right people in place that could work together effectively, or Murphy wanted more control. Most likely it was a combination of both.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe I am wrong, but doesn't the Packers Executive Committee and Board of Directors make that decision or at least have a say in it?
I do not believe that the Executive Committee has input on the structure of the organization anymore. They select the President who in turn would make decisions about organizational structure below him.

The Executive Committee has a broader focus such as monitoring front office performance, generally conducting the affairs of the corporation, spearheading major capital expenditures, etc. The days of them directing and managing the team from high above are long gone. However, I suspect that they still have influence but no real power to affect specific organizational changes. The President (currently Murphy) is the head of the Executive Committee, and he gets to select the seven members. So in effect, he selects people that will support him.