Next CEO after Mark Murphy

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I do not believe that the Executive Committee has input on the structure of the organization anymore. They select the President who in turn would make decisions about organizational structure below him.

The Executive Committee has a broader focus such as monitoring front office performance, generally conducting the affairs of the corporation, spearheading major capital expenditures, etc. The days of them directing and managing the team from high above are long gone. However, I suspect that they still have influence but no real power to affect specific organizational changes. The President (currently Murphy) is the head of the Executive Committee, and he gets to select the seven members. So in effect, he selects people that will support him.
Thanks for the clarification. I have to ask, are you unhappy with the way that Mark Murphy "ran" things? I look at what the team has done on the field and probably just important, off the field. I would say that since MM took over in 2007, the team/organization has a lot to be proud of. Not just a pretty successful football team, but a very successful entity that is very important to the City it is in. I might even go as far to say, The Packers might be the #1 team in the NFL, in importance to the City which it calls home.

Seasons "under" Murphy:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, I don't have anything against it and agree that we've been successful both before and after the change. However, it is an unusual setup so my main point is that the incoming President will need to analyze if it is a workable system for them.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
No, I don't have anything against it and agree that we've been successful both before and after the change. However, it is an unusual setup so my main point is that the incoming President will need to analyze if it is a workable system for them.
I get that a new President should investigate any changes that might improve things, but that is part of the positions every day job. Also, I hope that whomever gets the position remembers that change just to change, isn't always good. Also, if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed.

The Search Committee will undoubtably be looking for someone to maintain what has been built over the last decades, not someone to tear it down and reinvent the wheel. If we had one owner, they could make the wrong choice. A committee will make it more likely that we select someone that is best suited for continued success.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Agreed.

The Search Committee will undoubtably be looking for someone to maintain what has been built over the last decades, not someone to tear it down and reinvent the wheel. If we had one owner, they could make the wrong choice. A committee will make it more likely that we select someone that is best suited for continued success.
Yup and they are working with a national search firm, Korn Ferry, who helped to find Murphy in 2007 when Harlan hung things up.

Sounds like the plan is to hire someone in the next 6-9 months. Whoever is chosen will then work with Murphy in a transition period.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I do not think Murphy is running the show. Nor have I ever. Nor should he be.
There have been times that Murphy is more "out front" than I can remember Harlan being. Possibly that is why some tend to blame him when things like the Rodgers situation happens.

I agree with you though, he isn't, nor should he be making player personnel decisions, that is Gute's job. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Gute consults with Murphy on some player decisions, but the final say is all Brian's.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
The existing President of the Bears.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There have been times that Murphy is more "out front" than I can remember Harlan being. Possibly that is why some tend to blame him when things like the Rodgers situation happens.

I agree with you though, he isn't, nor should he be making player personnel decisions, that is Gute's job. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Gute consults with Murphy on some player decisions, but the final say is all Brian's.
I've always felt that they have conversations about strategic issues, like timelines for our window and basic thoughts on building a team, choosing players, assembling a roster, etc. But I'd be surprised if any of those conversations end with Murphy looking Gute in the eye and saying "I hope I've made myself clear." That level of executive dysfunctionality seems way out of character for this organization.

I think they like and respect each other, value each other's opinions and ideas, and feel they can each do their jobs better if they understand more about how the other does their job (which is a really healthy dynamic in upper management).

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's an article from the Green Bay Press Gazette that defines exactly how the search for a new CEO for the Packers will take place. Right now, it's anyone's guess as to where this will go. Based on the little information I know to be true, there's very little chance that anyone presently in the organization will be moving up to fill that spot.

If you want to get an idea as to how it went, when Murphy was hired, there's a link in the article to a Jed Hughes Podcast, #6, which was an interview with Murphy himself, that told how he personally went through the process. It's all enlightening.

What we need to remember is that the "favorites" aren't necessarily the choice. John Jones, who was Harlan's favorite was passed over because of health issues, and Murphy became the pick. The person chosen may well be someone none of us have the faintest idea was even in the running.

As for the personnel running the football operations, from GM down, that will be part of the discussions between prospects and the Executive Board when the time is right. If the Executive Board believes the team running the team itself is solid, they're going to be listening carefully to see if the person they hire would be inclined to want new personnel at the football level. My gut feeling is that none of the candidates would even consider taking the stance that a new broom sweeps clean, because that would fracture the backing of the Executive board, since many of them are probably quite happy with football operations as they stand.

Following the search, the Executive board will present their candidate to the 43 member Board of Directors, and they will either vote the candidate in, or pass, asking for another candidate to be presented to them. It's a fairly elaborate, and exacting way of doing the best search possible. Still, personalities, and other issues will come into play.

What we need to hope for is that the next person holding the title is an astute business person, who can handle the 3-headed-monster where the GM, Russ Ball, and HC, all answer directly to Murphy, like he designed it. Since Russ Ball will be 66, when the time comes, he might even opt for early retirement, if he ends up under Gutekunst control. It's hard to say.

These are issues that the Executive Board needs to be aware of from the start.

Let's hope they make a solid choice. The future clearly depends on it.