Mark Murphy dodges questions on Rodgers' contract

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can someone summarize? I don't click PFT links if I can help it :)

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It could also be something like they're in the middle of negotiations for an extension. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Gutekunst stated that they would clear cap space as they go. If we don’t hear anything before the draft it means he didn’t want to sign anyone that would require cap clearance. There is a subset of NFL followers that want to create an issue where there is none. Rodgers is under contract for 3 more years. My guess is that the Adams extension and finalizing their draft board is what currently has mgmt’s attention.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
He wouldn't even speculate as to why anyone should care about Rodgers and his girl were spotted holding hands in Arkansas. Tight-lipped guy that he is....

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If you want a summary of what he actually said I can't help you as I didn't read it either.

If you want a summary of what some people are sure it means that would be "Murphy didn't state categorically that the Packers never plan on moving on from Aaron Rodgers so that means he is as good as out the door. It's only a matter of days or weeks or a year at the very most" Additionally, what was not said can be directly interpreted to mean "We don't care if the window is closing on Aaron Rodgers we have no plans to provide him with any help whatsoever to win the Super Bowl this season." As informational as what Murphy didn't say up to that point was, perhaps the most telling non comment was when he didn't say anything about why the Packers haven't taken every opportunity to push every single available penny of money into future years to allow the absolute maximum utilization of salary cap space this year. Anyone with a pulse can clearly see that what he really said by not saying anything was "screw everybody, we're the Packers we can do whatever the hell we want and we don't care."

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the contract restructure is imminent w Adams to free up cash. They are sick of the media and are handling things behind closed doors which is good.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He wouldn't even speculate as to why anyone should care about Rodgers and his girl were spotted holding hands in Arkansas. Tight-lipped guy that he is....
Oh no! Rodgers is going to demand to be traded to Arkansas! :eek:

From what I gather, the media is portraying this silence as confirming that the Packers are planning for this to be Rodgers' last year in Green Bay. I don't know why administrations should talk about contracts under negotiation, or possibly under negotiation, however.

D

Deleted member 6794

From what I gather, the media is portraying this silence as confirming that the Packers are planning for this to be Rodgers' last year in Green Bay. I don't know why administrations should talk about contracts under negotiation, or possibly under negotiation, however.

I'm absolutely fine with the Packers not talking to the media about Rodgers' contract. Their lack of action might speak louder than any words anyway though.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score

I'm with you 100% and yes, the national sports media is going absolutely nuts and it doesn't matter if it's PFT - Florio has had an unhealthy preoccupation with Rodgers' pay for at least a decade or CBS Sports, or, even ESPN. The Packers and Rodgers are under contract for what .. 3 more seasons with the final 2 being HUGE and unhealthy cap hits and these guys can't understand why the Pack and Rodgers aren't extending, renegotiating and/or converting roster bonuses to free up cap space.

Where we may split, I don't know for sure, is should they be doing that anyway? The cap is a fantasy number in my world. Those pledged dollars are going to bite them in the *** one way or another and kicking them down the road serves no long term purpose except hog tying the franchise the year after next. I'm not exactly clear on what Aaron's cap hit will be in the two final years but one of two things is sure: 1). The Pack owe Aaron a lot of guaranteed money, or, 2). The cap hit will be unmanageable. I, like the Packers it seems, doesn't want to be kicking short term money out LONG term - I get it. I'm a long-in-the-tooth fiscal conservative in real life. I fear a dead money scenario more than anything, or a trade, accelerating signing bonuses and guaranteed money to any one year.

Your tongue in cheek "Arkansas" comment, I fear ... might be closer to reality. Nobody is talking about the possibility that Rodgers is refusing to renegotiate, or take a one-year pay cut to help out the team. He shouldn't HAVE to, nor feel obligated to. I believe Aaron is a good guy - but I do think that he can be, for lack of a better term, ego maniacal in terms of wanting "what's his".

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Agree.
They shouldn’t talk about it to the media if it’s even being discussed right now. Gutekunst clearly stated earlier that they would clear cap space as they go. So that is what he will do. Just because some fans and some in the media want to rush to conclusions and spew their own agenda does not portray the situation in a factual light. Neither set has any accountability whatsoever in what they say or write.

Today is April 4. We are 5 months from the beginning of the season and our group of core players are under contract. We also have a nice set of still ascending players IMO that complement that core group as well as 10 draft picks in the hopper to infuse more youthful talent on to our future roster. I’d say that things are looking pretty good right now.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score

I know. I'm with you. Ever since Rodgers' came right out and said "Don't believe anything you read there" Florio and his minions have performed creative writing gymnastics on nearly every Rodgers' story - and if Florio writes that story, Rodgers' contract will come up - as I said Florio, I think, has an unhealthy fixation on how NFL teams should tear up existing contracts for each and every franchise QB when some 3rd tier NFL GM gives their QB stupid money.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
the contract restructure is imminent w Adams to free up cash. They are sick of the media and are handling things behind closed doors which is good.

...and you know, I could see it where Adams is concerned -- it's that "age" thing and time left in the league thing, and, in my clamped down steel trap mind -- dead money thing.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
He learned that from “noisy” Ted Thompson. Did Silverstein ask him about UDFA’s?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I know. I'm with you. Ever since Rodgers' came right out and said "Don't believe anything you read there" Florio and his minions have performed creative writing gymnastics on nearly every Rodgers' story - and if Florio writes that story, Rodgers' contract will come up - as I said Florio, I think, has an unhealthy fixation on how NFL teams should tear up existing contracts for each and every franchise QB when some 3rd tier NFL GM gives their QB stupid money.
Sounds apropos for a third tier sports journalist, eh?

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad I reserved my comments for now, because this is such a touchy subject. Rodgers was "perturbed" to say the least when Jordan Love was drafted last year....perturbed all the way to an MVP Award.

But Rodgers seems content at this point, which means that the pending restructure/negotiation/etc, is alright with him. He holds his cards just as well as the Packers in my opinion. But his lack of comments as of recent seems to be that he is either resigned to the current situation, or what is to come is moving forward on a positive note.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad I reserved my comments for now, because this is such a touchy subject. Rodgers was "perturbed" to say the least when Jordan Love was drafted last year....perturbed all the way to an MVP Award.

But Rodgers seems content at this point, which means that the pending restructure/negotiation/etc, is alright with him. He holds his cards just as well as the Packers in my opinion. But his lack of comments as of recent seems to be that he is either resigned to the current situation, or what is to come is moving forward on a positive note.
That's pretty much it. Rodgers wants to stay a Packer, he knows the reality of the situation. The Packers don't hold all the cards, he knows he has some too. He knows there are all sorts of variables and recognizes there are only some he can control. he has a very proven history of showing he will focus on what he can control and not many focus like he does. he's not going to whine, or pout, or throw a fit so he can feel more loved. He knows what the deal is.

Reaction score
It could also be something like they're in the middle of negotiations for an extension. I guess we'll find out soon enough.
I agree. I see that as an effort to refrain from fueling the fire. Leaking hints to the media could damage those ongoing discussions. It’s possible he doesn’t want to give clues to his contract with Jeopardy ongoing and in turn wager his entire contract in Double Jeopardy. :tup:

The media acts like everything not openly disclosed is meant for harm. It’s just possible that it’s completely meant for good.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gutekunst stated that they would clear cap space as they go. If we don’t hear anything before the draft it means he didn’t want to sign anyone that would require cap clearance. There is a subset of NFL followers that want to create an issue where there is none. Rodgers is under contract for 3 more years. My guess is that the Adams extension and finalizing their draft board is what currently has mgmt’s attention.
Well said. If there were a FA that Gluten really wanted, he'd find a way to clear some capo this year. For what it's worth, I think the chemistry of this team is pretty good, so why mess with that, especially for a player on the margin. I wish they had a real #2 WR, but maybe one will finally emerge from the busy they got.

And people forget that Rodgers has receiving threats in Jones and Tonyan, and he's got the best WR in football. Yeah at this point I think it's 1) see how guys have progressed in the off season and 2) see what the draft brings.

This is an unusual year in that FAs are staying freee for longer. So depending on how the draft goes, Gluten may still take a crack at a FA. Personally I'd like to bring in Richard Sherman, but that's probably a non-starter with the resigning of King.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And people forget that Rodgers has receiving threats in Jones and Tonyan, and he's got the best WR in football. Yeah at this point I think it's 1) see how guys have progressed in the off season and 2) see what the draft brings.

There is a lot more to this than many want to admit. Some of us brought this up last year, and it is exemplified even more this year.

This year unlike many years in the past Rodgers will have nearly ALL his targets (ALL his main ones) from the LAST TWO years "mostly" (Dillon/Deguara one year) here save for Jamaal Williams - and a MUCH smaller degree Ervin/Austin.

ADAMS, Lazard, MVS, EQSB, Marcedes, Tonyan, Jones, Dillon, Deguara....even depth guys like Jace, Dafney, Dexter Williams, Begelton, Malik Taylor are not new to Rodgers this year.

Throw in Funchess and maybe some draft picks this is easily the most cohesive/familiar group going into a season Rodgers has had the luxury of in a few years for sure.

We all would love more skill player firepower...but in reality we have arguably a Top5 type RB, THE best WR and an ascending TE that may very well end up a Top10 TE in most minds if 2021 is like 2020. That's honestly pretty freaking good. To boot we also have a TANK in Dillon that proved he can produce, and arguably one of if not the biggest pure deep threats in the game in MVS (yes flaws there but that doesn't negate this aspect).

Yes management in some ways hasn't given Rodgers clearly what he wants last few years...but there is something to say of finally giving him consistency however.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a lot more to this than many want to admit. Some of us brought this up last year, and it is exemplified even more this year.

This year unlike many years in the past Rodgers will have nearly ALL his targets (ALL his main ones) from the LAST TWO years "mostly" (Dillon/Deguara one year) here save for Jamaal Williams - and a MUCH smaller degree Ervin/Austin.

ADAMS, Lazard, MVS, EQSB, Marcedes, Tonyan, Jones, Dillon, Deguara....even depth guys like Jace, Dafney, Dexter Williams, Begelton, Malik Taylor are not new to Rodgers this year.

Throw in Funchess and maybe some draft picks this is easily the most cohesive/familiar group going into a season Rodgers has had the luxury of in a few years for sure.

We all would love more skill player firepower...but in reality we have arguably a Top5 type RB, THE best WR and an ascending TE that may very well end up a Top10 TE in most minds if 2021 is like 2020. That's honestly pretty freaking good. To boot we also have a TANK in Dillon that proved he can produce, and arguably one of if not the biggest pure deep threats in the game in MVS (yes flaws there but that doesn't negate this aspect).

Yes management in some ways hasn't given Rodgers clearly what he wants last few years...but there is something to say of finally giving him consistency however.
Yeah and the fact that they went 26-6 over the last 2 years. And familiarity with your teammates is crucial, and I think that was proven last year. My expectation is that it only gets better. As for Funchess he's a year removed from playing and has to learn the playbook and develop that elusive familiarity with Rodgers. Really, and aside from what we get in the draft, I'm pretty happy with the way that Gluten and Ball managed the cap, and retained the right talent. I admit I wanted then to keep Linsley and Let Jones go. I've reversed myself. Runyan is progressing nicely, I think they take an OT in round one, and they usually start, and we'll get Bakh back in the fold at some point.

They'll have a good team this year. The guys they lost were gone anyway (a little surprised they didn't keep Williams considering his price tag, and value to the locker room, but ya can't keep everyone. And RBs can be found later in the draft, as we all know.)

FA isn't THE answer for any team. The Pats have been rebuilt with FA, and we'll see how that works out - multiple guys from multiple systems having to learn a new system. And they still need a QB.

Anyway, this team will be fine this year, and will compete for another SB title. Not much more we could ask. (Oh, and we have the returning MVP,)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ran quick 2020 receiving totals...Ervin, Austin, the one reception to Rodgers and I guess Shepherd as well are the other guys beyond Williams that had reception(s) we are losing.

But nearly 90% or more of every category are returning, which is nuts.

Players that were 89% of the receptions returning.
87% of the targets returning.
94% of the yards receiving return.
All but one of the TDs returns (Jamaal had one)
Of players that had an ESPN "BIG" reception (20+ yards) only Ervin had one that isn't back.
88% of our YAC production is back.
94% of our receivers to get a first down are back as well.

When it comes to receiving, this team is essentially giving Rodgers at WORST the same caliber of guys as last year (maybe better depending on Funchess, growth and/or draft as well).

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The only offensive question mark in my opinion is the offensive line. Can Stenavich adequately replace Bakhtiari and Linsely and have an effective cohesive group by the season opener? My guess is..... it probably won’t be as good as last years line in terms of being able to do just about anything they wanted to with a few notable exceptions no matter who was playing and where. I just think it’s highly unlikely that our offense will duplicate last years performance.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts