Mark Murphy dodges questions on Rodgers' contract

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Team with the best accountant wins. :(
There is more truth to your statement than many people realize. It is extremely important in putting a roster together and keeping it together.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please elaborate. What has he said or done that makes you think that?
Anyone who would set up an org structure like the Packers (where MLF, Gluten, and Ball all report to Murphy) is none too bright. MLF should report to Gluten, and probably Ball too. There should be clear lines of accountability, and Gluten should have the freedom to fire the HC. It's fine if Murphy signs off on big decisions. In my 30 years in business, I've never seen such an org chart. Murphy has a huge ego (remember MLF's intro press conference.......) and wants the final say on everything. That's time consuming for a CEO, who should really be doing other things, like working on a long-range strategy for the club, working with the other owners on league matters, representing the club on league matters and on.

That said, I shouldn't have used a derogatory term. I just think the Packers could do better at the President position.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone who would set up an org structure like the Packers (where MLF, Gluten, and Ball all report to Murphy) is none too bright.
They are not clear on who the coach reports to but Reid predates the GM.
Clark Hunt ... currently serves as the club’s Chairman and CEO.
As president, [Mark] Donovan is responsible for all aspects of the club’s business operations and reports directly to Chairman and CEO Clark Hunt.
[Brett] Veach ... general manager ... reporting directly to Chiefs Chairman and CEO Clark Hunt on all player personnel matters.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They are not clear on who the coach reports to but Reid predates the GM.
Well, and really it's only four guys - Murphy, Gluten, MLF and Ball. They should be able to figure things out. I expect Gluten and MLF to be pretty much on the same page. I only hope Murphy realizes he hired them to make decisions on player selection and game planning. And I doubt Murphy has much time to spend on those things.

But back to a second for why I'm not fond of Murphy, it's his ego. And I expect CEOs to have big egos, just not quite so much on display.

And finally, they're all here for one reason that applies to everyone in the organization - winning games and championships. If they doo that, all is well in Titletown. If they stumble..... well none of us is indispensable. It will be very interesting once the post-era Rodgers is here, what kind of team these guys put on the field.

Last edited:

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And finally, they're all here for one reason that applies to everyone in the organization - winning games and championships. If they doo that, all is well in Titletown. If they stumble..... well none of us is indispensable. It will be very interesting once the post-era Rodgers is here, what kind of team these guys put on the field.
A bit simplistic view on Murphy’s reason for being. His number one goal is to ensure the future of the franchise. He has been doing extremely well.

Financially, he has us sitting very well with both cash reserves and future revenue sources.

Competitively we are very well above the norm under his management. He has always hired good football people to run the football operation and even though the new organizational chart from a couple of years ago was stated publicly, my thought is that may have changed a bit after 2 years of the new, untested GM have proven to be pretty impressive. Maybe it might be giving a little more weight to what the GM says. Or maybe a bit more to the coach. But 2 years in, I am sure it is not a 3 way tie on most decisions anymore.

And Murph is more like an owner for us. But I don’t get the ego part of it, although huge disclaimer: I live in San Diego, so it’s not like any Packer press conference makes it to us. Anything I see or hear from Murphy is very limited in content. Unlike Jones or his ilk. To me, that is why I do not have a perception of a huge ego.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We were tailgating before the playoff game against Seattle a couple years ago and who walks by in a suit, Mark Murphy. Who stops and chats for a minute in some pretty cold weather in a suit? Mark Murphy. Doing his Packer President stuff and walking amongst the fans. No security, no step back I’m coming thru, it was all go pack go, thanks for coming out, let’s get em, where are from? First game?

don’t care if he didn’t remember a word we said, because I don’t either really lol

but he didn’t seem to be carrying around much ego.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, he hired Gute and as far as I can tell; Gute hired LaFleur. There may have been some deals made with LaFleur about keeping Pettine. But in general it seems like that is the way it should be done. I'm not seeing puppets here. So far I'm happy with the results. Obviously it helps to have a great QB.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone who would set up an org structure like the Packers (where MLF, Gluten, and Ball all report to Murphy) is none too bright. MLF should report to Gluten, and probably Ball too. There should be clear lines of accountability, and Gluten should have the freedom to fire the HC. It's fine if Murphy signs off on big decisions. In my 30 years in business, I've never seen such an org chart. Murphy has a huge ego (remember MLF's intro press conference.......) and wants the final say on everything. That's time consuming for a CEO, who should really be doing other things, like working on a long-range strategy for the club, working with the other owners on league matters, representing the club on league matters and on.

That said, I shouldn't have used a derogatory term. I just think the Packers could do better at the President position.
This is a very strange justification and viewpoint. First, you have apparently decided that you don’t like Murphy... and then decided that because of that, he shouldn’t have the power that he has. You’d like more power to reside in the guy with the designation of “GM”... ok fine ... you do realize that’s just a title right? Murphy is President of the organization. GM’s that work for pretty much every other team answer to the owner... and in many cases do not have the power to fire the coach without the approval of the owner. Why do you think it should be so different in Green Bay? The power must reside with someone... I see nothing in your explanation that convinces me that it shouldn’t be with the team President. Now if you can cite specific reasons why Murphy is doing a bad job.. well we can discuss that, but to suggest that it is just inherently wrong to have the team President hold the ultimate power... well... we disagree there.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
A bit simplistic view on Murphy’s reason for being. His number one goal is to ensure the future of the franchise. He has been doing extremely well.

Financially, he has us sitting very well with both cash reserves and future revenue sources.

Competitively we are very well above the norm under his management. He has always hired good football people to run the football operation and even though the new organizational chart from a couple of years ago was stated publicly, my thought is that may have changed a bit after 2 years of the new, untested GM have proven to be pretty impressive. Maybe it might be giving a little more weight to what the GM says. Or maybe a bit more to the coach. But 2 years in, I am sure it is not a 3 way tie on most decisions anymore.

And Murph is more like an owner for us. But I don’t get the ego part of it, although huge disclaimer: I live in San Diego, so it’s not like any Packer press conference makes it to us. Anything I see or hear from Murphy is very limited in content. Unlike Jones or his ilk. To me, that is why I do not have a perception of a huge ego.
This is exactly my feelings. I’ve also never seen Murphy’s ego on display. He comes across to me as being a very down to earth kind of guy that is a perfect fit for Green Bay. I think he’s done a terrific job with the development of the Titletown district and the commercial development aspects of the Atrium.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, he hired Gute and as far as I can tell; Gute hired LaFleur. There may have been some deals made with LaFleur about keeping Pettine. But in general it seems like that is the way it should be done. I'm not seeing puppets here. So far I'm happy with the results. Obviously it helps to have a great QB.
We'll find out how good all of them are when Rodgers is gone.

AGreen2AJones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Murphy said yesterday he didn't know if Rodgers was going to report on time. He was either lying or he is incompetent. The board must dismiss him.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Murphy said yesterday he didn't know if Rodgers was going to report on time. He was either lying or he is incompetent. The board must dismiss him.
or he and the GM were still hashing things out, or he knew nothing changes until Rodgers shows up or doesn't and saying anything at that moment when nothing still had happened was pointless.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Or he wasnt going to announce it as it would take away from the business at hand.. why is it only because of one reason??

the fans on hand never even boo’d him. So that tells you what they felt

Just like the brett drama, ted wasnt fired, the board did nothing . might as well get off his jock and understand this isnt about one man its about the team

AGreen2AJones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or he wasnt going to announce it as it would take away from the business at hand.. why is it only because of one reason??

the fans on hand never even boo’d him. So that tells you what they felt

Just like the brett drama, ted wasnt fired, the board did nothing . might as well get off his jock and understand this isnt about one man its about the team

I can carry whoever's jock strap I want! Why didn't he say "I can't comment on that." Now I'm going to have to question his integrity. Rodgers' integrity was never in question at least.

Also, I'm sure that crowd was filtered and what not. I'm a shareholder, I never got my invite.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We'll find out how good all of them are when Rodgers is gone.
why wait?

He brought in UDFA Lazard, made a good move with good contract vs production risk in signing Wilkerson showing he can deal, though injury negated that. Was able to trade players that weren't doing anything for us and worth nothing for something in Montgomery and Ha Ha

he's shown a pretty good ability to move around a draft board to fit value and maximize picks. Nobody hits them all, but he has hit some big ones already. Alexander, Savage, Gary, Jenkins. Found good value later in picks like MVS.

He's done more in FA than we've seen since early TT and the uncapped years of Wolf. Smith, Smith, Amos, Turner.

Why does one have to wait to make a judgement. He's done a pretty dang good job so far by any measure.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I can carry whoever's jock strap I want! Why didn't he say "I can't comment on that." Now I'm going to have to question his integrity. Rodgers' integrity was never in question at least.

Also, I'm sure that crowd was filtered and what not. I'm a shareholder, I never got my invite.
I believe you request tickets to go, maybe on shareholder web site?

mm praised rodgers during the meeting so he didnt avoid him

your narrative is clear .. are you his gf mom?

D

Deleted member 6794

why wait?

He brought in UDFA Lazard, made a good move with good contract vs production risk in signing Wilkerson showing he can deal, though injury negated that. Was able to trade players that weren't doing anything for us and worth nothing for something in Montgomery and Ha Ha

he's shown a pretty good ability to move around a draft board to fit value and maximize picks. Nobody hits them all, but he has hit some big ones already. Alexander, Savage, Gary, Jenkins. Found good value later in picks like MVS.

He's done more in FA than we've seen since early TT and the uncapped years of Wolf. Smith, Smith, Amos, Turner.

Why does one have to wait to make a judgement. He's done a pretty dang good job so far by any measure.

It won't be possible to fairly evaluate Gutekunst's job as a general manager as long as Rodgers is the team's starter though. If the Packers end up struggling with another quarterback him having made some good moves won't matter a whole lot.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It won't be possible to fairly evaluate Gutekunst's job as a general manager as long as Rodgers is the team's starter though. If the Packers end up struggling with another quarterback him having made some good moves won't matter a whole lot.
I disagree. He's already shown he has a lot of traits that make GM's better than others. Having a good QB helps, but then having a good QB doesn't always in it all either, it just means you have a good QB. While QB play can greatly influence the overall wining and losing, a QB by itself isn't the measure of a good GM either.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are few examples where SB champions had mediocre to average QBs. There was Dilfer in TB I think in 2000, and Peyton Manning was a placeholder for Denver when they won their last SB, mostly with defense, Manning was done. Manning is clearly a great QB. My point is that it almost always takes a very good to elite QB to win the SB. Yes other position decisions by the GM are important. None more so than QB. So you're correct that an evaluation of Gluten can't be done until Rodgers is gone.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you're correct that an evaluation of Gluten can't be done until Rodgers is gone.
I wouldn't go quite that far. Why can't he be evaluated on the pieces he places around him? He can't be credited with building a team from the bottom up until Rodgers is gone, but that's not always the job.

Members online

Latest posts