Last Lombardi Packer into NFL HOF?

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
Is Jerry Kramer going to be the last later this summer? Sadly, he will probably be the last to not go in posthumously if there is another. Could Bob Skoronski (still alive ) make it or possibly Gale Gillingham (deceased)? My opinion is that Jerry will be the last.

Last edited:

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think Kramer's probably it. i don't know of a campaign going for anyone else. Kramer's was loud and persistent.

from another era i'd like to see Sterling Sharpe get in.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is Jerry Kramer going to be the last later this summer? Sadly, he will probably be the last to not go in posthumously if there is another. Could Bob Bob Skoronski (still alive ) make it or possibly Gale Gillingham (deceased)? My opinion is that Jerry will be the last.

Unfortunately, yeah, I think Kramer is the last. IMO, Skoronski and Gillingham would be very deserving, but I don't see it happening. Was it Starr who said some years ago that if he had to vote for one of his team mates to be in the HOF, it would be Skoronski.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kramer was more popular for 'that block' and his two books. I honestly can't think of Skoronski anywhere near that kind of publicity.

D

Deleted member 6794

Is Jerry Kramer going to be the last later this summer? Sadly, he will probably be the last to not go in posthumously if there is another. Could Bob Skoronski (still alive ) make it or possibly Gale Gillingham (deceased)? My opinion is that Jerry will be the last.

I fully expect Kramer to be the last Lombardi era Packer to make it to Canton.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, yeah, I think Kramer is the last. IMO, Skoronski and Gillingham would be very deserving, but I don't see it happening. Was it Starr who said some years ago that if he had to vote for one of his team mates to be in the HOF, it would be Skoronski.
I don’t remember Skoronski ever making all pro. If memory serves, he was considered slightly above average performer. Steady and available. Gillingham may have made all-pro a couple of times. I would consider him very borderline. I don’t think he had a real long career. Maybe 8 years?

D

Deleted member 6794

I don’t remember Skoronski ever making all pro. If memory serves, he was considered slightly above average performer. Steady and available. Gillingham may have made all-pro a couple of times. I would consider him very borderline. I don’t think he had a real long career. Maybe 8 years?

You're right that Skoronski never made the All-Pro team. Gillingham played for 10 years but was a starter for only the last of Lombardi's five championships.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kramer will be the last. The Lombardi teams of the 60s were amazing, and so were many of the players. However, it is already highly unusual to have so many players from one team in any HOF. Gillingham and Skoronski are worthy candidates but will not have the grass-roots support or star power to get them in at this point. They can live on in our memories though.

D

Deleted member 6794

Kramer will be the last. The Lombardi teams of the 60s were amazing, and so were many of the players. However, it is already highly unusual to have so many players from one team in any HOF. Gillingham and Skoronski are worthy candidates but will not have the grass-roots support or star power to get them in at this point. They can live on in our memories though.

Actually I don't consider either Skoronski or Gillingham worthy to be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually I don't consider either Skoronski or Gillingham worthy to be inducted into the Hall of Fame.
I tend to agree but I’d bet there are some NFL types that would tell me that Gillingham in his prime was a better blocker than Kramer in his prime.

Kramer also did at least one year of placekicking for the Packers. I suspect it may have been during the time Hornung was suspended.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, which is why I said worthy candidates. I don't see them getting in whether or not the 60s teams were great, but it doesn't help that so many of their teammates already made it in.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Kramer was pushed because his case for inclusion has been so incredibly strong that it rose to the level of an injustice to his legacy. The same case can't be made for Bob or Gale. At least nowhere near to the same level. Probably the next big exclusionary injustice to push for would be Joe Jacoby.

D

Deleted member 6794

I tend to agree but I’d bet there are some NFL types that would tell me that Gillingham in his prime was a better blocker than Kramer in his prime.

Kramer also did at least one year of placekicking for the Packers. I suspect it may have been during the time Hornung was suspended.

Obviously I haven't seen any of them play but according to their accolades it seems Gillingham doesn't deserve to be in Canton. In addition he was only a starter for one of those championship teams.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

'62, '63, '68

OP
OP
ARPackFan

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
I don't think it could have been planned better for Kramer to be last. He is a natural born story teller with the gift of gab. Telling the story/history of the NFL and the Lombardi Packers could never be fully complete without him. I normally don't watch Hall of Fame ceremonies and speeches but Jerry's is one I really want to see.

D

Deleted member 6794

Kramer was a placekicker in 68??? It must have been backup duty and mostly kickoffs. I’m pretty sure we had Don Chandler as the starting K by then.

Kramer had nine field goal attempts and another 10 PATs during the 1968 season. Mike Mercer, who the Packers acquired during the season, was the primary kicker that year though. Chandler kicked in Green Bay from 1965-67.

Members online

Latest posts