Jordan Love signed to 4 year fully guaranteed deal

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok but now the complaint is that the offense wasn't pretty much a pro bowl roster from top to bottom

There's always room for improvement but this was the 3rd most efficient offense of ALL TIME last season. They didn't lack talent on that side of the ball. They lacked depth at WR but really everyone else played at an elite level throughout the year

We can discuss whether they would have been even better had they added a Higgins type guy last year or even if had Funchess had played for that matter. It's certainly possible. It's also certainly possibly the butterfly effect kicks in and a few plays get called differently, (a play that Jones busted off a run ends up being called a pass now etc etc), or a play doesn't get made that did because we're now useong different personel during the season and an extra game gets lost and then the entire PO picture shifts.

I guess what I'm saying is that when your talking about an offense that played at a historically high level like it did last year changing things out in a hypothetical context that might seem better on paper wouldn't necessarily be better and the latter might actually be more likely when looking at things in their totality. Pretty much that improving on the 3rd most efficient offense ever isn't a given even if you add a good player (as weird as that sounds) and that driving one's self mad about "how good they could of been" is a fruitless exercise when they were historically great last season

All that said there is definitely work to do this off season

The complaint is NOT that the offense wasn't pretty much pro-bowl caliber from top-to-bottom; it was that the front office used their top-3 draft picks on guys that were not going to do much to help this team win this year, or most likely in the near-term. A special emphasis is placed on the Love pick which was a pick that could only be made with an eye towards Rodgers no longer being on the roster.

I don't care how good the offense was last year, it could have been better which would most likely have come in handy during the NFCCG. They don't give awards for 3rd most efficient offense but that offense might have been able to score a TD after Aaron Jones got hurt with some additional talent.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The complaint is NOT that the offense wasn't pretty much pro-bowl caliber from top-to-bottom; it was that the front office used their top-3 draft picks on guys that were not going to do much to help this team win this year, or most likely in the near-term. A special emphasis is placed on the Love pick which was a pick that could only be made with an eye towards Rodgers no longer being on the roster.

I don't care how good the offense was last year, it could have been better which would most likely have come in handy during the NFCCG. They don't give awards for 3rd most efficient offense but that offense might have been able to score a TD after Aaron Jones got hurt with some additional talent.

The 2nd round pick, Dillon, played well whenever he got time. Furthermore, with both RB’s being free agents, he looks like he’s going to be the lead back for the future. How is that not a valuable pick?

Deguara was getting good snaps before he got hurt. His replacements also played a good number of snaps. Deguara played the position much better than his replacements. So again, how can we say that pick wasn’t going to help this year? You can’t predict injuries!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Be pissy about the Love pick, fair. But Dillon and Deguara both were solid contributors whenever called upon and if we'd have used Dillon more he would have continued to be beastly, we wouldn't have missed a beat and really didn't when he had to be called upon due to injuries...easily could have been a lot more.

Deguara was getting snaps right out the gate and doing well, I suspect that would have only grown with each week had he not gotten injured.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 2nd round pick, Dillon, played well whenever he got time. Furthermore, with both RB’s being free agents, he looks like he’s going to be the lead back for the future. How is that not a valuable pick?

Deguara was getting good snaps before he got hurt. His replacements also played a good number of snaps. Deguara played the position much better than his replacements. So again, how can we say that pick wasn’t going to help this year? You can’t predict injuries!

A backup TE/FB was not going to help in any material fashion this year.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Be pissy about the Love pick, fair. But Dillon and Deguara both were solid contributors whenever called upon and if we'd have used Dillon more he would have continued to be beastly, we wouldn't have missed a beat and really didn't when he had to be called upon due to injuries...easily could have been a lot more.

Deguara was getting snaps right out the gate and doing well, I suspect that would have only grown with each week had he not gotten injured.

A backup TE/FB is not a player that is going to help a team in the near term. Tight ends RARELY make any positive impact in their first year and Deguara, being a small TE, is going to take some time to develop. Anyone who saw that pick and thought, "THERE'S the player that's going to help the offense this year" has some serious green-and-gold shades.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
A backup TE/FB is not a player that is going to help a team in the near term. Tight ends RARELY make any positive impact in their first year and Deguara, being a small TE, is going to take some time to develop. Anyone who saw that pick and thought, "THERE'S the player that's going to help the offense this year" has some serious green-and-gold shades.

Or alternatively, they just have an understanding of the offense that LaFleur runs.

It was totally obvious he had a consequential role for an H back, which Deguara was drafted to fill.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is literally the exact H Back MLF and his system moves to implement.

I fully expected Gute to get MLF an H Back style guy, I did not however expect it to be that early. Now to be fair he was my favorite H Back I felt realistically we could target and justify getting....I just figured that was gonna be 4th or later.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FTR 2020 Regular Season TE snaps/game played:

Tonyan - 39.8
Lewis - 28
Deguara - 15.5
Stern - 16.9
*Dafney wasn't listed on Spotrac where I pulled, not sure why

Tonyan - 18.1
Lewis - 31.2
Deguara - Was in college
Stern - 10.6

The fact that Deguara out the gate his rookie year, with all the Covid restrictions and lack of rookie camp and such to play that many snaps per game until injury should cause anyone to pause their critical thoughts of him.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or alternatively, they just have an understanding of the offense that LaFleur runs.

It was totally obvious he had a consequential role for an H back, which Deguara was drafted to fill.

Sure, an undersized rookie TE/FB was going to be a major part of the offense. Why didn't I see it?! They said they wanted him to be their Kyle Juszcyk and, lemme see here, his rookie stats were uh, wait, this can't be right, 16 games played, 1 target, 0 catches, and 0 runs. Huh, whatever, I'm sure Gute expected him to mirror Tony Gonzalez's rookie season.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is literally the exact H Back MLF and his system moves to implement.

I fully expected Gute to get MLF an H Back style guy, I did not however expect it to be that early. Now to be fair he was my favorite H Back I felt realistically we could target and justify getting....I just figured that was gonna be 4th or later.

And you thought he was going to be an impactful player as a rookie? I envy your optimism.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Sure, an undersized rookie TE/FB was going to be a major part of the offense. Why didn't I see it?! They said they wanted him to be their Kyle Juszcyk and, lemme see here, his rookie stats were uh, wait, this can't be right, 16 games played, 1 target, 0 catches, and 0 runs. Huh, whatever, I'm sure Gute expected him to mirror Tony Gonzalez's rookie season.

I didn't say that he was going to be a major part of the offense, I responded to you saying he would not have helped the team.

There was and is a sizeable role for an H-back in LaFleur's offense.

Deguara was drafted to fill that role.

After he got hurt, they still worked at finding guys to play in that role, because it matters to the offense.

Hence, there's a good likelihood that he would have helped the offense had he stayed healthy so that he could be involved.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And you thought he was going to be an impactful player as a rookie? I envy your optimism.

I have a very strong feeling our opinions of his impact or a solid H Back in the MLF system's impact are far apart - clearly we have different understandings of the system.

D

Deleted member 6794

Ok but now the complaint is that the offense wasn't pretty much a pro bowl roster from top to bottom

Nobody has mentioned anything like that. It would have been possible that another talented wide receiver or tackle for that matter would have made a difference vs. the Bucs.

The 5 sacks given up in the championship game was the biggest problem for the offense.

I guess a tackle being drafted in the first round instead of Love could have helped in that regard.

In my opinion it's hilarious that several posters around here lament about Deguara's injury as he could have made an impact this season but on the other side vehemently disagree that a first round wide receiver or tackle could have made any difference in the NFCCG.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody has mentioned anything like that. It would have been possible that another talented wide receiver or tackle for that matter would have made a difference vs. the Bucs.

I guess a tackle being drafted in the first round instead of Love could have helped in that regard.

In my opinion it's hilarious that several posters around here lament about Deguara's injury as he could have made an impact this season but on the other side vehemently disagree that a first round wide receiver or tackle could have made any difference in the NFCCG.

Only thing I vehemently disagree with is folks that state such items in a definitive matter....truth is no one knows and we still had plays to win the NFCCG and the team peed down their legs multiple times.

D

Deleted member 6794

Only thing I vehemently disagree with is folks that state such items in a definitive matter....truth is no one knows and we still had plays to win the NFCCG and the team peed down their legs multiple times.

Yet you're one of the posters who has made it pretty clear that in your opinion Deguara would have improved the Packers' chances of winning the NFCCG.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet you're one of the posters who has made it pretty clear that in your opinion Deguara would have improved the Packers' chances of winning the NFCCG.

Please specify where I said he would have improved our chances of winning the NFCCG?

Do I feel he would have improved the overall performance of our offense? That is tricky, because they literally were nearly the most efficient offensive unit the league has ever seen...but I do know he would have contributed for sure seeing the number of snaps he did right out the gate.

I went back and re-read my comments to be sure, but yeah never stated anything close to where you are stating.

D

Deleted member 6794

Please specify where I said he would have improved our chances of winning the NFCCG?

Do I feel he would have improved the overall performance of our offense? That is tricky, because they literally were nearly the most efficient offensive unit the league has ever seen...but I do know he would have contributed for sure seeing the number of snaps he did right out the gate.

I went back and re-read my comments to be sure, but yeah never stated anything close to where you are stating.

You, like other posters around here, very much implied that Deguara could have had a positive impact this season (what else could that be other than reaching the Super Bowl) while at the same time denying a first round pick spent on a position in actual need could have made a difference.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You, like other posters around here, very much implied that Deguara could have had a positive impact this season (what else could that be other than reaching the Super Bowl) while at the same time denying a first round pick spent on a position in actual need could have made a difference.

Stop, I've never once stated drafting a skilled position wouldn't have made a difference. I literally created an entire thread declaring such claims of me as erroneous. I wanted Pittman BAAAD. I was hoping when Aiyuk came off the board and we triggered a trade up it was for him. Anyone in the shoutbox or that took part in the Draft Talk section knew this - if I felt as you say I do I would NOT have been of that mindset.

Furthermore, entering the Second Round I declared I was fine with us using a 2021 3rd rounder if needed paired with our 2nd in the draft to go get Pittman. Once he was gone I was clattering for either Mims or Claypool with Hamler out there too, trade if we needed to.

Once the 2nd round was done, I only had one WR I believed in enough to make a move for and that was Bryan Edwards.

Round 5 on I was screaming DPJ was of great value at that point despite not being a fan of his at all. When we drafted Martin, I was bringing up KJ Osborn.

I also I know but forget where he went was decently high on that Oregon State WR Hodkins as well.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair I 100% get why some peg me into that mindset however, primarily because despite my disagreement with our draft decisions this past go around with some of the picks, I do talk the positives of it as well for each pick - albeit sometimes tough to do so LOL

I think it is my way of attempting to not live in the misery of frustration if I allowed myself to dwell on the Love pick LOL

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stop, I've never once stated drafting a skilled position wouldn't have made a difference. I literally created an entire thread declaring such claims of me as erroneous. I wanted Pittman BAAAD. I was hoping when Aiyuk came off the board and we triggered a trade up it was for him. Anyone in the shoutbox or that took part in the Draft Talk section knew this - if I felt as you say I do I would NOT have been of that mindset.

Furthermore, entering the Second Round I declared I was fine with us using a 2021 3rd rounder if needed paired with our 2nd in the draft to go get Pittman. Once he was gone I was clattering for either Mims or Claypool with Hamler out there too, trade if we needed to.

Once the 2nd round was done, I only had one WR I believed in enough to make a move for and that was Bryan Edwards.

Round 5 on I was screaming DPJ was of great value at that point despite not being a fan of his at all. When we drafted Martin, I was bringing up KJ Osborn.

I also I know but forget where he went was decently high on that Oregon State WR Hodkins as well.

Lmao this post just brought me back. My mental state after day one was not good. Brace yourself for the same mental roller coaster again. Sorry guys but no WR or ILB help is coming in the first three rounds again. The sooner we realize this the better. I predict we let Jones and Williams walk and we draft a Jones clone/change of pace back in the first three rounds.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Lmao this post just brought me back. My mental state after day one was not good. Brace yourself for the same mental roller coaster again. Sorry guys but no WR or ILB help is coming in the first three rounds again. The sooner we realize this the better. I predict we let Jones and Williams walk and we draft a Jones clone/change of pace back in the first three rounds.
Maybe Felton or Carter? I’m thinking d-line or CB is our most likely 1st round pick though I wouldn’t mind trading back to the early 40’s for an extra 3rd or 4th.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It almost reminds me of the Flynn/Brohn competition. Brohn had the pedigree, big arm, and high ceiling but Flynn had that grit.

Brohm's arm didnt look that big to me, honestly I think Boyle would beat them both in a QB competition. Neither Flynn, as much as I liked him, or Brohm could effortlessly make every throw an NFL OC wants his quarterback to make and have the extra to make the throws that most QBs can't make.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts