Jordan Love signed to 4 year fully guaranteed deal

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it’s all about results, and GB just finished with an offense near the top, or at the top (I can’t remember), then why you complaining? Lol. I think that’s a poor argument.

D

Deleted member 6794

Why even bring it up since its an inconsequential fact? Were you simply trying to say they haven't invested enough in the position recently?

If so it seems that you could of just said the latter instead of stating a point that means nothing.

What point were you actually trying to make with that fact?

I brought up the fact because I thought it was interesting after remembering that Tavon Austin after seeing during a broadcast that Tavon Austin was the first first round wide receiver who caught a pass from Rodgers since he became the starter in Green Bay.

You're right it's irrelevant but while we're at it Rodgers having had enough talent at receiver for most of his tenure is irrelevant as well when talking about the current situation.

The Packers lack talent at the position because they haven't even invested a day two pick on the position since selecting Adams in 2014.

For those that are adamant about having a great QB on a rookie contract I say that is no way to run an organization.

The 2019 Chiefs, 2017 Eagles and 2013 Seahawks vehemently disagree with you.

If it’s all about results, and GB just finished with an offense near the top, or at the top (I can’t remember), then why you complaining? Lol. I think that’s a poor argument.

I'm complaining because the Packers fell short of winning the Super Bowl this season.

Just imagine what Rodgers could have done if he had the Bucs' receiving corps.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot more than Brady did, that's for sure. ;)

Ok but now the complaint is that the offense wasn't pretty much a pro bowl roster from top to bottom

There's always room for improvement but this was the 3rd most efficient offense of ALL TIME last season. They didn't lack talent on that side of the ball. They lacked depth at WR but really everyone else played at an elite level throughout the year

We can discuss whether they would have been even better had they added a Higgins type guy last year or even if had Funchess had played for that matter. It's certainly possible. It's also certainly possibly the butterfly effect kicks in and a few plays get called differently, (a play that Jones busted off a run ends up being called a pass now etc etc), or a play doesn't get made that did because we're now useong different personel during the season and an extra game gets lost and then the entire PO picture shifts.

I guess what I'm saying is that when your talking about an offense that played at a historically high level like it did last year changing things out in a hypothetical context that might seem better on paper wouldn't necessarily be better and the latter might actually be more likely when looking at things in their totality. Pretty much that improving on the 3rd most efficient offense ever isn't a given even if you add a good player (as weird as that sounds) and that driving one's self mad about "how good they could of been" is a fruitless exercise when they were historically great last season

All that said there is definitely work to do this off season

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I brought up the fact because I thought it was interesting after remembering that Tavon Austin after seeing during a broadcast that Tavon Austin was the first first round wide receiver who caught a pass from Rodgers since he became the starter in Green Bay.

You're right it's irrelevant but while we're at it Rodgers having had enough talent at receiver for most of his tenure is irrelevant as well when talking about the current situation.

The Packers lack talent at the position because they haven't even invested a day two pick on the position since selecting Adams in 2014.

The 2019 Chiefs, 2017 Eagles and 2013 Seahawks vehemently disagree with you.

I'm complaining because the Packers fell short of winning the Super Bowl this season.

Just imagine what Rodgers could have done if he had the Bucs' receiving corps.
There is a finite number of yards and touchdowns to be had. The fact that Crosby had only 16 field goal attempts and Scott probably had close to the least amount of punts in the NFL this year as well as points per possession numbers points to the fact that the offense left very little to complain about. The 5 sacks given up in the championship game was the biggest problem for the offense. Giving up 21 in the first half and the defense not being able to get off the field (Tampa’s 1st half 3rd down conversion rate had to have been very good) was a big problem for the team.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
There is a finite number of yards and touchdowns to be had. The fact that Crosby had only 16 field goal attempts and Scott probably had close to the least amount of punts in the NFL this year as well as points per possession numbers points to the fact that the offense left very little to complain about. The 5 sacks given up in the championship game was the biggest problem for the offense. Giving up 21 in the first half and the defense not being able to get off the field (Tampa’s 1st half 3rd down conversion rate had to have been very good) was a big problem for the team.

This is a great break down

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Pretty much that improving on the 3rd most efficient offense ever isn't a given even if you add a good player (as weird as that sounds) and that driving one's self mad about "how good they could of been" is a fruitless exercise when they were historically great last season

All that said there is definitely work to do this off season

I think we are "close" to agreeing. ;) All I am saying is that the evidence is pretty clear, when it comes to the WR position, at least for me. In the last 6 years, the lack of draft and free agent resources devoted to the position has been noticeable, especially over the past few seasons, as most of the talent that was accumulated has left. While Rodger's talent has helped hide the deficiencies, it is hard to deny that it doesn't exist.

When you have a car that finished 4th in the Indy500, you can brag about the great pit crew, the driver, the engine, the unprecedented speeds and everything else, but if that car was only running on 1 good tire and 3 so so ones, there is room for improvement.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you have a car that finished 4th in the Indy500, you can brag about the great pit crew, the driver, the engine, the unprecedented speeds and everything else, but if that car was only running on 1 good tire and 3 so so ones, there is room for improvement.

Strongly disagree, you in NO WAY, even with HoF pit crew, driver and engine playing 4th at Indy on only one good tire for any length of time :)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Strongly disagree, you in NO WAY, even with HoF pit crew, driver and engine playing 4th at Indy on only one good tire for any length of time :)

I did say that the other 3 tires were "so so". :D

My point, it takes a hell of an all around effort to win a Super Bowl, I think some people lose site of that and expect to be competing for one every year. So yes I do realize that you can't have 4 Pro Bowl WR's on a team, but to imply that you can't improve on a #1 offense isn't true either.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we are "close" to agreeing. ;) All I am saying is that the evidence is pretty clear, when it comes to the WR position, at least for me. In the last 6 years, the lack of draft and free agent resources devoted to the position has been noticeable, especially over the past few seasons, as most of the talent that was accumulated has left. While Rodger's talent has helped hide the deficiencies, it is hard to deny that it exists.

I don't think me n you are that far off either. Where we separate though is I don't think its nearly as much Rodgers hiding the lack of depth at WR as you do. I give alot of that credit to the top 2 Offensive Line, arguable the best stable of RBs in the league and the TE who played at a Pro bowl level, and then also our QB. (and that's before MLF scheming the WRs open so much)

There are always areas to improve though. The 01 Ravens couldve used another pass rusher as an example

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed ^

Everyone know I was on team "Draft a WR"...but even if we have done so, there are only so many plays to go around - with two/now three running backs that are pass threats, a TE playing pro bowl level, another that is slow but has great repor with Rodgers, the best WR in the game and one of the best deep threat WRs in the game presently (albeit his hands are questionable)....I'm not sure what more could have been produced realistically. This system took names and kicked serious A** most of the season.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed ^

Everyone know I was on team "Draft a WR"...but even if we have done so, there are only so many plays to go around - with two/now three running backs that are pass threats, a TE playing pro bowl level, another that is slow but has great repor with Rodgers, the best WR in the game and one of the best deep threat WRs in the game presently (albeit his hands are questionable)....I'm not sure what more could have been produced realistically. This system took names and kicked serious A** most of the season.
I agree with this for the most part, however at the goal line in the NFCCG I think another top receiver could have helped.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
lol I’m sure there is point to these contradictions.
All year the red zone was 76 percent. Didnt have any problems scoring then

Same players in nfccg, and they went 0 for 6.. Would another weapon help? Maybe, but didnt really need one to be best in the league all year.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All year the red zone was 76 percent. Didnt have any problems scoring then

Same players in nfccg, and they went 0 for 6.. Would another weapon help? Maybe, but didnt really need one to be best in the league all year.
Yeah I assumed that is where you were going. The bottom line is when they went up against a defense that matched up well against this offense, the red zone efficiency dropped of the planet. Another receiver would have been helpful here specifically. Sometimes you just need to have more talent. Scheme can only get you so far.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I assumed that is where you were going. The bottom line is when they went up against a defense that matched up well against this offense, the red zone efficiency dropped of the planet. Another receiver would have been helpful here specifically. Sometimes you just need to have more talent. Scheme can only get you so far.

I don't believe another WR does help,

Tonyan had gotten Rodgers eye often, he loves Big Dawg in redzone too...

Just that one possession on three plays Adams drops a back shoulder toss, Rodgers then rolls out and only tries a forced ball to Adams, and then comes back and ignores or doesn't see a wide open Lazard for a TD to try shoving it to Adams again.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it was more based on the failures of the offensive line, couldn't pass block and couldn't run block. 2 of the most important things this offense needs in the red zone. we had 2 guys playing that were worth anything that day in Jenkins and Linsley. LT, RG and RT were beaten badly. 2 were standing there as guys ran around them and the other got put on his *** repeatedly.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't believe another WR does help,

Tonyan had gotten Rodgers eye often, he loves Big Dawg in redzone too...

Just that one possession on three plays Adams drops a back shoulder toss, Rodgers then rolls out and only tries a forced ball to Adams, and then comes back and ignores or doesn't see a wide open Lazard for a TD to try shoving it to Adams again.
Exactly.... There are no guarantees, but another top receiver just might have made Rodgers more likely to look elsewhere.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it was more based on the failures of the offensive line, couldn't pass block and couldn't run block. 2 of the most important things this offense needs in the red zone. we had 2 guys playing that were worth anything that day in Jenkins and Linsley. LT, RG and RT were beaten badly. 2 were standing there as guys ran around them and the other got put on his *** repeatedly.
I agree with this. I’m not married to the “our first rounder should have been a receiver” idea, but I’m also not going to overlook the possibility that Rodgers beats that pass rush with another top guy to throw to.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly.... There are no guarantees, but another top receiver just might have made Rodgers more likely to look elsewhere.

It's possible...in that string of 3 however I strongly feel it was pure tunnel vision. Don't blame him...Adams is the best WR currently IMO, but it was frustrating.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's possible...in that string of 3 however I strongly feel it was pure tunnel vision. Don't blame him...Adams is the best WR currently IMO, but it was frustrating.
It is... but consider the 2 point conversion attempt.... very tight window... Rodgers gets it through to EQ... who promptly drops it... Adams doesn’t catch everything... but Rodgers rightly trusts him the most.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I firmly believe that with a healthy roster for both teams, and that game plan, GB wins 7/10 times.

Sometimes, you have a bad game. Bad circumstances. The roster could have been better. But all in all, that roster was good enough to win a Super Bowl. I firmly believe that.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't think me n you are that far off either. Where we separate though is I don't think its nearly as much Rodgers hiding the lack of depth at WR as you do. I give alot of that credit to the top 2 Offensive Line, arguable the best stable of RBs in the league and the TE who played at a Pro bowl level, and then also our QB. (and that's before MLF scheming the WRs open so much)

I base much of my "life without Rodgers" on what happened to the offense during the seasons where Hundley and Kizer played. The offense turned into a complete sh*t show on both occasions. Literally, night and day. Granted, neither of those guys are NFL starting caliber QB's. The caliber of WR's available also ranged for both of those QB's at times too. All that said, I think if Kurt Cousins were the Packers QB in 2020, they don't make the playoffs.

I also believe that there is a lot of truth behind the fact that Rodgers hates to throw interceptions, so if he does not trust or have a lot of confidence in a receiver, he is less likely to force a ball into an unknown quantity. Maybe this is the pitfall of the fact that up until a few years ago, he was blessed with 2-3 standout receivers every season.

Also, to address some of the "it was the OL not the WR's that was the issue in the NFCCG." I would agree with swhitset, and say it was a combination of both. Rodgers had very little time and seemed to be forcing everything to Adams on those plays. Why? Was it because his other receivers weren't open? Probably not, but in his head, Adams was the guy he felt would be open and would catch the ball and getting him the ball was #1 priority as well as about all the time he had on many plays.