Jordan Love signed to 4 year fully guaranteed deal

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lmao this post just brought me back. My mental state after day one was not good. Brace yourself for the same mental roller coaster again. Sorry guys but no WR or ILB help is coming in the first three rounds again. The sooner we realize this the better. I predict we let Jones and Williams walk and we draft a Jones clone/change of pace back in the first three rounds.

I've come down some off my desperate need to find a WR, to the point I was in 2020 draft. This offensive scheme, growth of WR (albeit slower than we all would hope) and the explosion called Tonyan illustrated just how special this offense is presently. We may also get to see Funchess, who has appeared over this off year to have matured IMO, show what he has (could be nothing, or could be rejuvenated - at one time he was easily #2 material).

I still would love us to nab a WR by the end of the 4th. There are some guys I like that could go all the way into the 4th like Sage Surratt, Anthony Schwarts or the insanely athletic but raw guy from Illinois with the name I cannot say let alone spell LOL! :roflmao:

Maybe Felton or Carter? I’m thinking d-line or CB is our most likely 1st round pick though I wouldn’t mind trading back to the early 40’s for an extra 3rd or 4th.

Felton is one of my favorites, BUT there are some awesome RBs that would complement Dillon ( maybe also Jamaal) very well in the draft. Jermar Jefferson, Kylin Hill, Jarrett Patterson to list just a couple.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe Felton or Carter? I’m thinking d-line or CB is our most likely 1st round pick though I wouldn’t mind trading back to the early 40’s for an extra 3rd or 4th.

Just spent the last hour looking at highlights of these guys. Love draft time! Carter looks impressive. Kid is slippery. Take a look at Kenny Gainwell. We 100% need a CB. I’d be ok with getting help on either side of the line.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've come down some off my desperate need to find a WR, to the point I was in 2020 draft. This offensive scheme, growth of WR (albeit slower than we all would hope) and the explosion called Tonyan illustrated just how special this offense is presently. We may also get to see Funchess, who has appeared over this off year to have matured IMO, show what he has (could be nothing, or could be rejuvenated - at one time he was easily #2 material).

I still would love us to nab a WR by the end of the 4th. There are some guys I like that could go all the way into the 4th like Sage Surratt, Anthony Schwarts or the insanely athletic but raw guy from Illinois with the name I cannot say let alone spell LOL! :roflmao:

Felton is one of my favorites, BUT there are some awesome RBs that would complement Dillon ( maybe also Jamaal) very well in the draft. Jermar Jefferson, Kylin Hill, Jarrett Patterson to list just a couple.

Same. A receiver in the MM’s pass happy O was way more important. This Offense is different. We are in trouble if we can’t run the ball so you build from the inside out. Another receiving weapon would be nice but not necessary to spend a top 3 pick on unless the right guy falls.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brohm's arm didnt look that big to me, honestly I think Boyle would beat them both in a QB competition. Neither Flynn, as much as I liked him, or Brohm could effortlessly make every throw an NFL OC wants his quarterback to make and have the extra to make the throws that most QBs can't make.

Some analysts thought Brohm would surpass Rodgers. He had a big arm coming out of college. Not sure what happened.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some analysts thought Brohm would surpass Rodgers. He had a big arm coming out of college. Not sure what happened.

Same thing that happens to most quarterbacks. Either they fail out, turn into journeyman/backups, or they became just able starters who arent anything special like Jimmy Garoppolo. Even when you are picking in the first round, your qb selection is far more likely to be Blake Bortles Marcus Mariotta Teddy Bridgewater Mitchell Trubisky or Jake Locker than Patrick Mahomes or Aaron Rodgers. Pretty much every QB who gets picked in the first 2 rounds was a great college QB, they cant all go on to be stars.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Same thing that happens to most quarterbacks. Either they fail out, turn into journeyman/backups, or they became just able starters who arent anything special like Jimmy Garoppolo. Even when you are picking in the first round, your qb selection is far more likely to be Blake Bortles Marcus Mariotta Teddy Bridgewater Mitchell Trubisky or Jake Locker than Patrick Mahomes or Aaron Rodgers. Pretty much every QB who gets picked in the first 2 rounds was a great college QB, they cant all go on to be stars.

I tend to think that with many Professional athletes, their success at each level goes from mostly physical growth to more mental growth, especially at the QB position. I look at a guy like Russel Wilson and while he played well at Wisconsin, the average person probably didn't see this 5'11" college QB as a guy who would turn into the NFL QB that he is today. Wilson continued to work extremely hard at what he did and didn't take anything for granted. He is gifted physically, but mentally, the guy is way ahead of most. Rodgers has both the physical and mental makeup as well.

I am not calling these other guys stupid by any means, I just think many of the QB's that flop in the NFL don't have the mental makeup that it requires to take their physically gifted selves to the next level of success.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We still need a WR. The scheme is benefiting guys like Lazard, but imagine a player with actual first/second round talent show playing opposite Adams.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I tend to think that with many Professional athletes, their success at each level goes from mostly physical growth to more mental growth, especially at the QB position. I look at a guy like Russel Wilson and while he played well at Wisconsin, the average person probably didn't see this 5'11" college QB as a guy who would turn into the NFL QB that he is today. Wilson continued to work extremely hard at what he did and didn't take anything for granted. He is gifted physically, but mentally, the guy is way ahead of most. Rodgers has both the physical and mental makeup as well.

I am not calling these other guys stupid by any means, I just think many of the QB's that flop in the NFL don't have the mental makeup that it requires to take their physically gifted selves to the next level of success.
Ted spent hours watching tape of Wilson...

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We still need a WR. The scheme is benefiting guys like Lazard, but imagine a player with actual first/second round talent show playing opposite Adams.

That would be nice but not at the expense of our O-line especially if we lose Linsley but then again.... Adams, MVS, and EQ are all free agents in 2022 so it wouldn’t be the worst idea.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That would be nice but not at the expense of our O-line especially if we lose Linsley but then again.... Adams, MVS, and EQ are all free agents in 2022 so it wouldn’t be the worst idea.
It's really the same as every year. Everything starts in the trenches. a good or bad qb can sway that a little, but you have to be stout up front on both sides of the ball. There's some wiggle room when you have a QB like Rodgers.

But I'd still put OL/DL, DB in front of WR going into next year and a 2nd DB about on equal footing as WR.

That said, picking near the end of the 1st, most "sure fire" OT's are likely gone. I'm not picking a guard that high unless it's an absolute road grader in the run game and stone wall like Jenkins in the passing game. I think there's a decent chance we go WR or DB then and try and find value in the big guys later.

But if the players available to use are all graded equally relative to their position, I see OL and DB being picked before WR. That's not to say we find ourselves choosing between lower graded OL and DB's and a highly rated WR and the WR is the right choice in that case.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
who arent anything special like Jimmy Garoppolo.
I think Garroppolo is better than everybody else seems to think. And if the SF coach feels the same way or doesn't want to take the heat from fans; Jimmy G may end up back with NE and surprise a lot of people. But I did agree with everything else.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
EQ are all free agents in 2022
Of the 3 WR's that Gute selected back in 2018, I was highest on ESB. But it wouldn't surprise me if he is a Free Agent prior to 2022. Between trying to stay healthy and his time on the field, he has been very unimpressive.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That said, picking near the end of the 1st, most "sure fire" OT's are likely gone. I'm not picking a guard that high unless it's an absolute road grader in the run game and stone wall like Jenkins in the passing game. I think there's a decent chance we go WR or DB then and try and find value in the big guys later.

I'd disagree, I mean Slater and Sewell are clearly guys most (including me) say can walk into any team and compete for blindside protection - with very few having a LT that could win that competition (a healthy Bahk being one of them).

That said there is IMO awesome depth at starting right tackle and even left tackle as deep as end of 2nd/beginning of 3rd. Now that could of course slide up some but depending how it falls you may very well be able to nab a Walker Little or a Spencer Brown top of the 3rd. Both I have pegged as guys that could walk in and start at RT for us, I'm very high on Little.

Then there are some guys for sure there in the 3rd or so like Brady Christensen and Hainsey that I feel could start RT, but do not have LT level shelf. I'll throw out two names as well for a Day 3 favorite Brenden Jaimes and Quinn Meinerz - I'll say it, I think both could and will be starting RT's in the league.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of the 3 WR's that Gute selected back in 2018, I was highest on ESB. But it wouldn't surprise me if he is a Free Agent prior to 2022. Between trying to stay healthy and his time on the field, he has been very unimpressive.

This coming year is his prove it season, and by prove it I am most likely talking a one year reasonable contract for 2022 depending on everything else. Lot depends on if Funchess plays and what we draft this year or bring in....don't be shocked if Malik Taylor or Begelton now a year in show more promise than EQ and they overtake him too.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
don't be shocked if Malik Taylor or Begelton now a year in show more promise than EQ and they overtake him too.

Honestly, I would be pretty disappointed if all we had were Begelton and Taylor competing with EQ for the 5th and 6th spots. Not to mention that would also probably mean its Adams, Funchess, Lazard and MVS at the first 4 spots.

Taylor's 18.6 yd kick return average is one of the more pathetic stats from the 2020 Season. Sadly, he was even worse than the guy he replaced, Darrius Shepherd.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thats part of it, Coaches always say that you want a quarterback to be smart but not too smart and in possession of a short memory... but not so short that they dont learn from mistakes. Oh and they need a take charge personality but not so take chargey that they screw up the coaching dynamic.

Perrsonality traits aside what can be said about the franchise itself. How many guys wind up in a bad situation, maybe in another world Packer fans would be talking about replacing Alex Smith and other bloggers would write articles about the unrealized potential of Aaron Rodgers. How maybe he would have been the guy if only he could have sat and developed for a couple of years.

I think Garroppolo is better than everybody else seems to think. And if the SF coach feels the same way or doesn't want to take the heat from fans; Jimmy G may end up back with NE and surprise a lot of people. But I did agree with everything else.

I think that Jimmy G is a solid quarterback who can be productive with a run oriented offense. He's more Jim McMahon than John Elway. Maybe building a run O first and then looking for your quarterback is a better way to do it.

ee-MAT-or-BAY-bay

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I would be pretty disappointed if all we had were Begelton and Taylor competing with EQ for the 5th and 6th spots. Not to mention that would also probably mean its Adams, Funchess, Lazard and MVS at the first 4 spots.

Taylor's 18.6 yd kick return average is one of the more pathetic stats from the 2020 Season. Sadly, he was even worse than the guy he replaced, Darrius Shepherd.

You gotta learn to stay on track lol. His KR is not a discussion, and right now as I'm not gonna discuss hypothetical with draftees. You have three locks and Funchess a maybe as we don't know what he'll do or if we will sign him. I'd bet serious money Malik, Begelton or EQ is on roster. Most likely Begelton stays on practice squad as eligible though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You gotta learn to stay on track lol. His KR is not a discussion, and right now as I'm not gonna discuss hypothetical with draftees. You have three locks and Funchess a maybe as we don't know what he'll do or if we will sign him. I'd bet serious money Malik, Begelton or EQ is on roster. Most likely Begelton stays on practice squad as eligible though.

Maybe my point wasn't completely made. But I will say this, if you are going to keep a player like Taylor on your roster, he better be really good on special teams. He is not an NFL WR, at least from what I saw and he was terrible on special teams. He was even more scared and tentative to return kicks than Shepherd was. I think Mennenga just slapped a new jersey on Shepherd and called him Taylor.

I'm not saying you are wrong about one of then (Malik, Begelton or EQ) being on the roster, all I am saying is if they don't improve quite a bit, none of them are going to have me too excited and saying "wow, great competition at WR this season!"

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont argue perhaps it not be him, but I 100% am fine with the 6th WR be a guy with high upside and low cost...even your 5th if they play ST well.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that Jimmy G is a solid quarterback who can be productive with a run oriented offense. He's more Jim McMahon than John Elway. Maybe building a run O first and then looking for your quarterback is a better way to do it.
I think he will be better than that. I would not put "solid" and "not anything special" in the same category. As long as he is with SF and as long as they have a very good run blocking O line; he will not, of course, put up numbers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I dont argue perhaps it not be him, but I 100% am fine with the 6th WR be a guy with high upside and low cost...even your 5th if they play ST well.

Right, none of which described the Packer situation starting the 2019 or 2020 seasons. Nor would it describe the Packers 2021 Roster if no off season changes are made.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe my point wasn't completely made. But I will say this, if you are going to keep a player like Taylor on your roster, he better be really good on special teams. He is not an NFL WR, at least from what I saw and he was terrible on special teams. He was even more scared and tentative to return kicks than Shepherd was. I think Mennenga just slapped a new jersey on Shepherd and called him Taylor.

I'm not saying you are wrong about one of then (Malik, Begelton or EQ) being on the roster, all I am saying is if they don't improve quite a bit, none of them are going to have me too excited and saying "wow, great competition at WR this season!"
Agreed. I don't know how Gluten does it, but he has to shake up that WR group. Pretty amazing that Rodgers throws 48 TDs without a legit #2 WR. (And yeah, he does have an All Pro for his #1 wideout.)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers would hugely benefit from you losing that money.

Until the draft changes things or a FA comes in, there is zero reason to believe otherwise. Personally depending on what type of WR is drafted (as I think we do draft one) Begelton on the PS could end up being the only one in GB next year - but right now with what we have before us one of these 3 for sure are roster holders.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Until the draft changes things or a FA comes in, there is zero reason to believe otherwise. Personally depending on what type of WR is drafted (as I think we do draft one) Begelton on the PS could end up being the only one in GB next year - but right now with what we have before us one of these 3 for sure are roster holders.
I don't disagree with you on the fact that there is a high probability of what you said happening. My point was that I hope it doesn't happen once again. I am all over the "development and great special teams players" taking up your #5 and #6 WR spots, but that hasn't been the story for quite some time. I wasn't a Jeff Janis fan, because he wasn't an NFL caliber WR, but at least he made up for it by being a real good special teams player for a few seasons. Would love to find a young version of Ervin in the draft or a FA version of a veteran like Cordelle Patterson. Limited Cap space, other needs, might very well leave fans like myself still wanting more from the WR room in 2022. Let's just hope we can pay Adams and keep him with the Packers for years to come.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts