Jordan Love signed to 4 year fully guaranteed deal

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Fully guaranteed....lol

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why guarantee the entire contract? Does that happen much with rookies?

H

HardRightEdge

Why guarantee the entire contract? Does that happen much with rookies?
It happens, or close enough to not make much difference.

Notice in the OP tweet that this is the first time it has happend with a 26th pick since the rookie salary scale was implemented in 2011. What does that mean? Next to nothing--it's just something to say. To wit:

Montez Sweat was the 26th. pick in 2019. Here's his contract details:

https://overthecap.com/player/montez-sweat/7817/

The total value was $11.64 mil. Love is bumped up about 6%, close to the percent increase in the salary cap. Total value is closely defined by the rookie salary scale without a whole lot of wiggle room.

To the point at hand, note the guaranteed totals at the bottom of the Sweat chart. All but $582,444 is guaranteed, a portion of his 4th. year salary. That amount is not going to make or break any keep-or-cut decision before his 4th. season if it comes to that. It's almost as though Washington negotiated that in just so they would not have to say "fully guaranteed".

Last edited by a moderator:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he's a packer now
get on board gripers
They hated the Favre trade - "give up a 1st rounder for a guy who was a 2nd round pick last season and didn't play?"

They hated the Rodgers pick - "why not give our HOF QB more weapons?!"

And now they hate the Love pick.

No surprise here.

H

HardRightEdge

They hated the Favre trade - "give up a 1st rounder for a guy who was a 2nd round pick last season and didn't play?"

No surprise here.
I liked the Favre trade. Majkowski held out for week 1 in 1990, then came out struggling, then was sidelined with a shoulder injury, then struggled worse in 1991 trying to bounce back from that injury which turned out to be a torn rotator cuff.

Anthony Dilweg had a brief moment in the sun in his first start in relief of the held out Majik. That was short lived. He was so immobile and slow with the trigger finger he was mercilessly sacked, so badly I believe he retired immediately after that season. In any case, he never took another snap.

1991 gave us the obviously damaged Majkowski and the ineffective Tomczak. The QB cupboard was empty. The 1992 QB draft class was weak, and that is the league talking not 20/20 hindsight. Only one QB went off the board above #19 (Klingler) and after that you had Tommy Maddox available. Favre was a reasonable calculated risk given the raw material. A recent parallel would be the Bills drafting Josh Allen, at #7 no less, an empty QB cupboard, lots of recent losing football, a physical talent with a big arm with questions about what's going on upstairs. Of course, after the fact, it was a little disturbing to find out Favre didn't know what the term "nickel defense" meant, but at the time of the trade it was not publicly known just how much of blank slate he happened to be.

I liked the Rodgers pick even more. I started to grow tired of Favre by the early 2000's. It was funny how he'd come out throwing balls into the bench. I'd tell my wife to just wait until he takes a hit to un-stick his gyroscope; that would set things right. Sure enough, while nobody seemed to notice. Then there were the gunslinging interceptions at the most inopportune times. I think the moment where my general sense that the media is so often full of sh*t became a firm conviction was after Favre's "legenday" game after his father passed. The story line should have been the fabulous receiver group performance supporting their hurting QB who was throwing balls up for grabs. But I digress. There was a lot of sloppiness behind Favre's big numbers as the years ticked by. Mumbling about retirement, leaving the franchise hanging, was the second to last straw. Favre not showing up for training camp, with players going down to Mississippi to drag his *** up north, sealed the rightness of the Rodgers pick and the transition, whether he turned out to be great or not.

Love? I dislike the pick. Had it been in the 3rd. round it would be less of an issue.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No surprise here.

They hated the Brian Brohm pick too

H

HardRightEdge

They hated the Brian Brohm pick too
That's funny. At least in that case Rodgers was an unproven commodity. 35 of 59 in mostly garbage time over three years does not exactly provide any measure of comfort. Whatever you might have taken away from his impressive last appearance of 2007 you have to consider the "triumph of the uncluttered mind" possibility...Clint Longley, Anthony Dilweg, etc., etc.

If and when Love takes the helm in 2021, 2022 or 2023 with like prior experience we might see a QB taken in the second round going into that season. ;) Gutekunst said he's a Wolf guy, after all, in that you cannot have enough good QBs or, evidently, a couple of unknown quantities to pick from.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked the Favre trade. Majkowski held out for week 1 in 1990, then came out struggling, then was sidelined with a shoulder injury, then struggled worse in 1991 trying to bounce back from that injury which turned out to be a torn rotator cuff.

Anthony Dilweg had a brief moment in the sun in his first start in relief of the held out Majik. That was short lived. He was so immobile and slow with the trigger finger he was mercilessly sacked, so badly I believe he retired immediately after that season. In any case, he never took another snap.

1991 gave us the obviously damaged Majkowski and the ineffective Tomcsak. The QB cupboard was empty. The 1992 QB draft class was weak, and that is the league talking not 20/20 hindsight. Only one QB went off the board above #19 (Klingler) and after that you had Tommy Maddox available. Favre was a reasonable calculated risk given the raw material. A recent parallel would be the Bills drafting Josh Allen, at #7 no less, an empty QB cupboard, lots of recent losing football, a physical talent with a big arm with questions about what's going on upstairs. Of course, after the fact, it was a little disturbing to find out Favre didn't know what the term "nickel defense" meant, but at the time of the trade it was not publicly known just how much of blank slate he happened to be.

I liked the Rodgers pick even more. I started to grow tired of Favre by the early 2000's. It was funny how he'd come out throwing balls into the bench. I'd tell my wife to just wait until he takes a hit to un-stick his gyroscope; that would set things right. Sure enough, while nobody seemed to notice. Then there were the gunslinging interceptions at the most inopportune times. I think the moment where my general sense that the media is so often full of sh*t became a firm conviction was after Favre's "legenday" game after his father passed. The story line should have been the fabulous receiver group performance supporting their hurting QB who was throwing balls up for grabs. But I digress. There was a lot of sloppiness behind Favre's big numbers as the years ticked by. Mumbling about retirement, leaving the franchise hanging, was the second to last straw. Favre not showing up for training camp, with players going down to Mississippi to drag his *** up north, sealed the rightness of the Rodgers pick and the transition, whether he turned out to be great or not.

Love? I dislike the pick. Had it been in the 3rd. round it would be less of an issue.
Holy crapsickles. Alot of similarities.

I didn't like the Favre trade. Thought it was a bad deal.

Loved the Rodgers pick.
Tired of Favre and his retiring antics.
Tired of him throwing games late in the season.
Thought he played poorly after his dad passed.
Always said he needed to get hit hard in a game before he settled down and played well

Okay with Love. Its a big gamble and I just thought there were some better players to pick from. But it didn't bother me that they went looking for ARs replacement.

H

HardRightEdge

No. They hate almost every pick.

But, with Brohm, they really loved the pick.

Actually, of the 4, Brohm was easily the most liked pick.

https://www.packerforum.com/threads/brian-brohm-from-scouts-inc.13746/

Read through there. Its pretty interesting.
That is pretty interesting. There is an object lesson, suggested in the following link:

"Brian Brohm looked shellshocked at the speed of the NFL game during his first preseason."

https://totalpackers.com/2017/04/boy-love-brian-brohm-pick/#:~:text=The Packers cut him, put,pick in his second season.

Until you get your hands on a QB and put him through his paces, you will not know what he has going on upstairs. Ordinarily that would be discovered in money games but Brohm couldn't even process what was going on in preseason.

On a related tangent, whether applicable to Brohm I could not say, there are the other intangibles besides the ability to process NFL speed of play that teams seek to get a handle on in the interview process: character, leadership, competitive fire, love of the game, teachability, mental toughness on the field and in the media pressure cooker. The art is to suss our whether the guy is practiced in giving the answers you want to hear or whether this stuff is of high quality and internalized. If the bullsh*t detector is not finely tuned during those couple of interview encounters you can get fooled. Lots of guys come in with the necessary physical tools to be good, few end up that way, and the reason is the intangibles. When dealing with intangibles there is high propensity for error.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
in none of an infinite number of parallel universes would jordan love have been available in the 3rd round

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No idea why we should guarantee a backup contract! One headscrather after another regarding Love.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually liked Dilweg. And then one game it rained and I knew his hands were not big enough.

H

HardRightEdge

in none of an infinite number of parallel universes would jordan love have been available in the 3rd round
There are several parallel universes where that might have happened if the Packers had not taken him.

His TD-to-INT ratio went in the sh*tter in 2019 with other numbers down from 2018. I've heard the purported reasons--new offensive system, 9 starters turned over. That's life in college football. Now, if he couldn't pick up a new system, or he couldn't elevate the play of his teammates as a purported future NFL franchise QB, just playing along to a 6-7 record in the Mountain West Conference no less, not in the Big 5. Then there's the question of whether he can only be effective in that one system which isn't this one.

He sounds like a good kid from the post draft press conference. He also sounds like a deer in headlights.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are several parallel universes where that might have happened if the Packers had not taken him.

His TD-to-INT ratio went in the sh*tter in 2019 with other numbers down from 2018. I've heard the purported reasons--new offensive system, 9 starters turned over. That's life in college football. Now, if he couldn't pick up a new system, or he couldn't elevate the play of his teammates as a purported future NFL franchise QB, just playing along to a 6-7 record in the Mountain West Conference no less, not in the Big 5. Then there's the question of whether he can only be effective in that one system which isn't this one.

He sounds like a good kid from the post draft press conference. He also sounds like a deer in headlights.

Good thing he gets to learn from the best. Kinda like Rodgers got to after entering the league as a risky Tedford prospect (risky in the sense that many Tedford qbs busted).

H

HardRightEdge

Good thing he gets to learn from the best. Kinda like Rodgers got to after entering the league as a risky Tedford prospect (risky in the sense that many Tedford qbs busted).
The appropriate way to think about any Favre-Rodgers tutelage is Rodgers was able to observe up close and personal what not to do as well as the other. I seriously doubt Favre ever took Rodgers through the paces on the grease board or with the tape machine rolling. ;)

Members online

Latest posts