Jonathan Martin

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Philbin the coach in Miami and the prevailing thought that Martin will be traded this offseason, does anyone see merit in TT sniffing this out to obtain another offensive tackle? Obviously it all depends on the number of teams that are interested in Martin and any bidding war that takes place, but it could be a good move if other teams stay away. I don't see any Ritchie Incognito types on our roster so the locker room may be accepting of the guy. He's got good potential and lots of life in his legs.

Thoughts?

D

Deleted member 6794

With Philbin the coach in Miami and the prevailing thought that Martin will be traded this offseason, does anyone see merit in TT sniffing this out to obtain another offensive tackle? Obviously it all depends on the number of teams that are interested in Martin and any bidding war that takes place, but it could be a good move if other teams stay away. I don't see any Ritchie Incognito types on our roster so the locker room may be accepting of the guy. He's got good potential and lots of life in his legs.

Thoughts?

Don´t want him on my team.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really like what we have at Tackle currently with Bulaga Bahktiari Sherrod and Barclay. I can't see TT making any trades for an olineman especially since it will most certainly involve giving up a draft pick and probably one he could use to draft a developmental lineman

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
regardless of what your opinion is of what happened in Miami, whether it be bullying, goodnatured hazing, or flat out racism. he seems to me to be very soft. not interested.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

How is this a fact, especially when you say "he seems to be?" Soft because he's an intellectual that stood up to bullying or soft because he's not a good player?

I think stuff like what happened in Miami occurs in a lot of NFL locker rooms. And it seems like Martin isn´t capable of dealing with it.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really like what we have at Tackle currently with Bulaga Bahktiari Sherrod and Barclay. I can't see TT making any trades for an olineman especially since it will most certainly involve giving up a draft pick and probably one he could use to draft a developmental lineman
I can agree with this response, and think that it is the best one so far. I know that some question whether Bulaga is healthy enough to compete, same with Sherrod. Hence my question.

Offensive tackle certainly isn't the Packers' highest need, but it is somewhere on the radar

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How is this a fact, especially when you say "he seems to be?" Soft because he's an intellectual that stood up to bullying or soft because he's not a good player?

Well... the coaches labeled him soft and he had that reputation. That was the story behind the story on all of this. Incognito was trying to "toughen him up" because he was "too soft". I'm not saying what Incognito did was OK by any means but the reports are that Martin was soft.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I won't argue the point forever, because I don't really have a dog in the fight. I just wanted to see if folks thought it was a decent option to consider.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score

you're right, edited my post to reflect. When you say "stood up to bullying", to me he ran away from it, refusing to face either his team or the media for ages. i also find it hard to believe that his "bullying" was worse than anyone else's when it seemed the rest of the team was more or less standing up for Ingocnito. With how sensitive the bullying issue is these days, i wouldnt think the rest of the team would back a bully if his treatment was truely that bad.

Alas that's here nor there. Bottom line is, I personally don't want him on the team.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I won't argue the point forever, because I don't really have a dog in the fight. I just wanted to see if folks thought it was a decent option to consider.

My opinion...and it's just my opinion... I followed this story pretty closely. Richie Incognito is just about as pathetic of a person that there is. From the video of him in a steroid rage at the bar to the story of him pouring a drink on a girl at a charity event... the guy us complete scum.

Having said that, we have a 6'5 320 pound grown man telling us he's feeling bullied? Ahhhh...ya... I'm fine with the Pack not signing him. It's that simple for me. Not exactly the guy I want in that fox hole next to me.

This without even taking into consideration that we have all the info in the world to indicate Martin's story doesn't totally jive with the bullying reports.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe he's just not a confrontational type of person who knows? it seems like it tho. They say he's a pretty good player from what i've heard and blocking 260-280 lb men doesn't seem like something sombody who was "soft' would be able to do right? especially at the NFL level. Do i think we need him in Green Bay? no i don't..but it has nothing to do with him being soft. I would just like to see if our own linemen can get the job done if they can stay healthy smh. Former 1st round picks btw.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe he's just not a confrontational type of person who knows? it seems like it tho. They say he's a pretty good player from what i've heard and blocking 260-280 lb men doesn't seem like something sombody who was "soft' would be able to do right? especially at the NFL level. Do i think we need him in Green Bay? no i don't..but it has nothing to do with him being soft. I would just like to see if our own linemen can get the job done if they can stay healthy smh. Former 1st round picks btw.

It doesn't matter what any of us thinks. His own teamates called him soft and rumor has it his coaches thought he was as well.

...and yes...when you are that big and a good athlete... you can get by to a point even if you're "soft".

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...n-details-harassment-from-dolphins-teammates/

Jonathan Martin details harassment from Dolphins teammates
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 29, 2014, 10:14 AM EST
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
AP
Jonathan Martin, the offensive lineman who left the Miami Dolphins after he was harassed by teammates, has detailed some of that harassment, which he says went far beyond the normal razzing that teammates give each other.
“There was persistent comments of a racial nature, aggressive ****** comments related to my sister and my mother,” Martin said in his interview with Tony Dungy. “I’ve spoken to my former teammates in other locker rooms across the NFL and I asked them, does this stuff go on? Is this normal rooking hazing? The consensus was, this is not normal.”
Martin says he wasn’t the only victim of bullying in the Dolphins’ locker room. And Martin also says Richie Incognito, the teammate who was suspended for his role in the bullying, was not the only bully on the team. But Martin does say that he believes he was picked on more than the rest of his teammates, for reasons he never understood.
“There were other people that got it, too,” Martin said. “I can’t say why I may have gotten more.”

I certainly don't condone personal attacks against family, but I think you still need to stand up for yourself. Like sharks smelling blood in the water, it could be the instigators took it to a higher level because of the perception that he is soft and he reinforced it by not standing up for himself.
Think about what Dez Bryant, whose mother was apparently a hooker, must hear from opposing players and fans. Yes, he's not the most mentally stable player in the league. But I don't think it's because of the taunting.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...n-details-harassment-from-dolphins-teammates/

Jonathan Martin details harassment from Dolphins teammates
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 29, 2014, 10:14 AM EST
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
AP
Jonathan Martin, the offensive lineman who left the Miami Dolphins after he was harassed by teammates, has detailed some of that harassment, which he says went far beyond the normal razzing that teammates give each other.
“There was persistent comments of a racial nature, aggressive ****** comments related to my sister and my mother,” Martin said in his interview with Tony Dungy. “I’ve spoken to my former teammates in other locker rooms across the NFL and I asked them, does this stuff go on? Is this normal rooking hazing? The consensus was, this is not normal.”
Martin says he wasn’t the only victim of bullying in the Dolphins’ locker room. And Martin also says Richie Incognito, the teammate who was suspended for his role in the bullying, was not the only bully on the team. But Martin does say that he believes he was picked on more than the rest of his teammates, for reasons he never understood.
“There were other people that got it, too,” Martin said. “I can’t say why I may have gotten more.”

I certainly don't condone personal attacks against family, but I think you still need to stand up for yourself. Like sharks smelling blood in the water, it could be the instigators took it to a higher level because of the perception that he is soft and he reinforced it by not standing up for himself.
Think about what Dez Bryant, whose mother was apparently a hooker, must hear from opposing players and fans. Yes, he's not the most mentally stable player in the league. But I don't think it's because of the taunting.

Jay Glaser has 1,142 text messages between Incognito and Martin over the past year, including texts sent after Martin left the team. That this became the story it did is a joke.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing to do with his situation, I just don't see the need. $ spent better in other places

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
Hopefully Martin can recover from this! And that he can find a team that will treat him well!

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why bring the drama and publicity to town especially when tackle isn't a glaring need? Not worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I brought this topic up because there have been a lot of Debbie Downers on this board regarding the OT situation. I've read a few more things about Martin recently that do seem to indicate that he quit the team for other reasons:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial&hpt=hp_t2
Martin Texts To Icognito – 3 Days After Martin Left The Team

“Wassup Man? The world’s gone crazy LOL. I’m good tho congrats on the win”

“Yeah I’m good man. It’s insance bro but just know I don’t blame you guys at all it’s just the culture around football and the locker room got to me a little.”

and this is per Icognito's attorney (same article as above):
Jonathan Martin also raised concerns with Richie Incognito that he was not playing well, about how upset he was at being ranked by Pro Football Focus as among the worst lineman in the NFL, about his poor performance on the field, his demotion to right tackle and how he was concerned about what the outcome might be for his missing team meetings and about how he felt his job was at risk. It was only after sharing these concerns, and Martin's abandonment of the team, that the bullying allegations were raised. Rather than deal with his poor on field performance and myriad other issues, Martin is now hiding behind false allegations.

Without knowing better, I thought that Martin was a better player than what seems to be. I'm fine without having him. However, had he been playing better I wouldn't mind bringing him on board if the price was right. If the Patriots could bring on Tebow without much more than a few news stories that fizzled out, I think that MM and TT could do the same for Martin in Green Bay. He just doesn't seem to have the potential to warrant that type of acquisition by the Packers.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm really befuddled by the endless talk of getting more offensive tackles. We already have three starters and if Sherrod can do anything, he's the fourth one. Newhouse is gone. Martin will never play for the Packers.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts