Jared Abbrederis headed to IR as well

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
When the current CBA gets close to expiration, they'll be negotiating a new one and if there is a movement to increase roster sizes, which I'm sure union leadership would like, the owners are going to insist on a larger cut to offset the associated support costs involved with more employees.

Again, that boils down to how the powers to be decide how they want to slice up the pie. I'm fine with both owners and players making less money, if it means larger rosters and potentially a better product for me the fan. Heck, I'm fine with the Networks paying the NFL a lot less and as a result, my Nationwide and State Farm Insurance Premiums won't cost as much.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree. That was my point to begin with. A team can defeat PS poaching by paying the same as the active, particularly if A,B,C or some other personal choice exists.

The only thing a team can do to defeat PS poaching is to actually promote the guy to the active roster. Other than that it is totally up to the player. If a player is on your PS and another team contacts him I don't know if there is anything the current team can do to prevent him from leaving if that is what he wants to do. What I mean is does the current team have the opportunity to promote him to their active roster kind of like being able to match offers or the right of first refusal or the like.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure the current team can promote the PS player, but it's still the player's choice. He is a free agent on the PS.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Been seeing the writing on the wall for awhile now that Abby's time was coming to an end in GB. I wish him well in whatever he does.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If GB really didn't want/need him anymore I guess this is a decent thing to do... gave him a chance to catch-on somewhere else. Anyone privvy to details on injury settlement amount/rules? I'm guessing it's all or most of his salary for the next 8 weeks unless he signs somewhere else, and then GB regains some cap space (an offset).

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He could also be resigned at some point by the Packers if no other team picks him up. Considering how little playing time he has been given the last several games, I don't see him being in GB again.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This doesn't surprise me. We weren't going to see him again this year as I'm certain he was never going to be the designated guy to return. I can't imagine what his injury is that would sideline him for the season, but we needed a roster spot. And with how little he's been able to do here, I never saw him coming back and making the team next year anyway.

Someone will pick him up, I hope he can stay on the field and have some fun one of these times.

Reaction score
Yes also wishing Abby our best. Sometimes the timing isn't right. He was up against a slew of decent WR. I did notice we activated Geronimo to the 53
I think both those guys played well in Camp and Preseason. I think when Abby went down for what sounds like more than a couple weeks, we had to be aggressive. The last thing we need is our WR core decimated.
The more this season progresses the more I think we need to reinforce our Offense with a couple of high picks. Maybe our #1 or #2 needs to be a TE or RB. I know TT doesn't go after FA much but this year he needs to plug a difference maker who can give Aaron some ammo or even trade for one before deadline

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is refreshing to hear, that a guy on PS actually progresses and prepares himself for bigger things ... "Allison had an impressive training camp, and according to offensive coordinator Edgar Bennett, has continued to develop quickly in his seven weeks on the practice squad."

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something happened that we are not hearing about. Abby knew the offense and he played well when not hurt prior to this year. He played a ton in camp and looked pretty good. As soon as the season started he was left for dead. They are essentially paying him not to rehab with the team instead of paying him to rehab with the team.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something happened that we are not hearing about. Abby knew the offense and he played well when not hurt prior to this year. He played a ton in camp and looked pretty good. As soon as the season started he was left for dead. They are essentially paying him not to rehab with the team instead of paying him to rehab with the team.
I don't know if anything happened or not, but I was surprised about the way the season was going with him. He seemed to be the better receiver when comparing him to Janis. He was always said to run good routes, and had good hands, and yet as soon as Janis got the club off, he was definitely ahead of Abby on the depth chart. This may be because he has better speed, but it does seem to be a reversal of the way the coaches viewed them last year.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if anything happened, I think it's more likely they realized he wasn't going to be with the team going foreword, and by giving him an injury settlement, he's able to get paid, he's one the IR with the belief it was a 2 week injury.

So they guy they liked and respected, but knew was not going to be in future plans, is able to most likely clear waivers, heal, and signs with the team of his choice yet this season and see if he can make it there.

My guess is, it was crowded, he never separated, and is being put in a best case scenario for his career by the team letting him go.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

After hearing reports this offseason and training camp about Abbrederis having impressed the coaching staff and quarterback I was surprised he didn't receive more playing time. I agree with several posters that the writing was on the wall though as he hardly played the last few weeks.

Anyone privvy to details on injury settlement amount/rules?

The Packers and Abbrederis reached an injury settlement agreeing that the thigh contusion will take two weeks to heal. Therefore Green Bay will have to pay him for this period. Abby will either be claimed off waivers today (unlikely as he's injured) or become a free agent free to sign with another team. If I remember correctly the Packers could re-sign him in four weeks.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish him all the best. Some guys just don't have a body that can withstand an entire NFL season's worth of punishment, and Abby appears to be one of those. A shame to be sure, the guy had heart and talent.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think him NOT lining up early in this season was a product of the starters playing zero snaps together in the preseason, ,and then not coming together quickly. Those first few games are just an extension of the preseason for the starters except the games mean something. They had a lot of kinks to work out and the kept them on the field. Monty wasn't seeing it much either at that time. He had tons of work in the preseason and they gave him a roster spot. The obviously liked what they saw or they would have cut him then.

Once they started using more guys, he got hurt right away, again. Couple that with a need for roster spots and it was time to part ways. I don't think there was anything that happened behind the scenes, or animosity, or anything like that. It was just how things unfolded.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I wish him all the best. Some guys just don't have a body that can withstand an entire NFL season's worth of punishment, and Abby appears to be one of those. A shame to be sure, the guy had heart and talent.

I think his injury history may have been a factor, but I also think his lack of playing time this year, while supposedly healthy, was a big indication that the coaches thought that he just wasn't good enough to be a WR for the Green Bay Packers current team.

H

HardRightEdge

Abbrederis made some progress this year. He seemed to cure himself of chopping steps at the top of his routes.

Quick out of his breaks, good route runner, decent hands, adequate speed.

But in the final analysis, he's a possession receiver with some noticeable limitations. His catch radius is pretty limited. The short arms and weak vertical jump showed up on the field. That together with his build does not equip him to contest for balls or take the punishment in an emergency regular role.

I think he comes up a little short in a couple of dimensions for the long haul, and does not provide special teams value to warrant waiting to see where he might go. It's a "better potential" move in replacing him.

I don't know if he has practice squad eligibility; somebody may have already commented on that. If so, somebody might want to have a look at him. If not, his future is in doubt.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I don't know if he has practice squad eligibility; somebody may have already commented on that. If so, somebody might want to have a look at him. If not, his future is in doubt.

Abbrederis is practice squad eligible.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not sure why, but for some reason I think Abby will end up in Detroit and I don't even know if they need a WR.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think his injury history may have been a factor, but I also think his lack of playing time this year, while supposedly healthy, was a big indication that the coaches thought that he just wasn't good enough to be a WR for the Green Bay Packers current team.

There;s something to that. Geronimo Allison in one game has already been a bigger contributor to the Packer offense than Abby was the entire year.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There;s something to that. Geronimo Allison in one game has already been a bigger contributor to the Packer offense than Abby was the entire year.

Had Abby been still on the team and healthy, I think he would have had a good chance at contributing on Sunday with both Cobb and Monty out. But he had his chances and sadly, didn't do much in his time in GB.

I'm excited about Geronimo, but I was excited early for Abby as well. I think with some work in the weight room and continued work with AR, Allison could be pretty good.

Members online

Latest posts