Is Adams the next homegrown talent to get a new contract?

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should sign Adams NOW, for a good contract. 6-8 mil maybe. Rather than sign him next year after he has another great season... then it's going to cost us 10-12mil a year...
We already know what we have in Adams. If we were more decisive, we could save a lot of cap space.............

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain that Jordy will get extended next year.

I doubt it. The extension would begin in his age 34 season. And durability is becoming an issue for him. That gets worse with time. It's not impossible, but I think the most likely thing is that he plays out this deal and then walks. Unless one of the young guys really shows promise this season, I would bet on wide receiver being a high draft priority in this next offseason.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
We should sign Adams NOW, for a good contract. 6-8 mil maybe. Rather than sign him next year after he has another great season... then it's going to cost us 10-12mil a year...
We already know what we have in Adams. If we were more decisive, we could save a lot of cap space.............

8M should be his absolute floor given another comparable season. That's what Marvin Jones got last year, and the cap has only risen since.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt it. The extension would begin in his age 34 season. And durability is becoming an issue for him. That gets worse with time. It's not impossible, but I think the most likely thing is that he plays out this deal and then walks. Unless one of the young guys really shows promise this season, I would bet on wide receiver being a high draft priority in this next offseason.
I'm not saying he would make 10 mil a year still... but I think he gets a good 2-3 year deal with maybe 5-6mil a yr. (Unless another major injury happens) And another 1 yr, old guy deal ,to end it. Like driver did. retiring at 38?

Jordy is Rodgers security blanket. I believe he will try to stay until he retires.

Last edited:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
8M should be his absolute floor given another comparable season. That's what Marvin Jones got last year, and the cap has only risen since.
With another good season, I think he gets 10-12. But right now I bet he would jump at 8...
Over a 4 year contract that's 8-16 million in cap savings, by getting him locked in before the market chooses his value for us.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm not saying he would make 10 mil a year still... but I think he gets a good 2-3 year deal with maybe 5-6mil a yr. (Unless another major injury happens) And another 1 yr, old guy deal ,to end it. Like driver did. retiring at 38?

Jordy is Rodgers security blanket. I believe he will try to stay until he retires.

It's not impossible, but it would be unusual for this FO to extend a guy at that age. Regardless, they need to continue the search for his replacement next offseason. He's vital to the offense.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget though ... I'm sure we are supposed to believe that Nelson will become GOAT starting at about age 35 lol.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not impossible, but it would be unusual for this FO to extend a guy at that age. Regardless, they need to continue the search for his replacement next offseason. He's vital to the offense.
Jordy is still Rodgers #1 guy. Adams has a chance to be the #1 guy some day. But saying it and doing it is two different things.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Jordy is still Rodgers #1 guy. Adams has a chance to be the #1 guy some day. But saying it and doing it is two different things.

I never suggested that Nelson isn't the #1. But he's in his 30's and we're taking about two years down the road. Things change. And I don't believe Adams will ever be the #1. My point regarding Adams is that it would be helpful to have a good #2 while figuring out the transition to a new #1.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I loved James Jones, but if AR can make James Jones look as good as he did in 2015, he is going to accomplish that with most WR's. While I want to see Adams resigned at the right price, I don't think you break the bank to do it. There are a lot of WR's out there that would love to play on a team that has AR as the QB. Even though TT isn't the FA guru GM, that possibility is always out there to find replacements if need be for Adams and even eventually Jordy and Cobb. Keep drafting and trying to find young talent to take over, don't break the bank trying to keep a guy unless he is the real deal and keep an eye on the FA market. Maybe TT has learned that lesson with the TE situation and won't be hesitant in 2018 if the need arises at WR.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sign ddp and jermike to long term contracts as the paddlehand twins. There must be some superhero value there.

D

Deleted member 6794

Right now, there are basically 3 guys sucking up all of the money on the defensive side, and it's not difficult to see why. They'll have to spend more money on this side of the ball, since the drafting and development isn't working out nearly as well as it is on the offensive side.

This season marks the first time the Packers spend more cap space on offense in at least four years (I don't have access to numbers before that time frame). The team ranked 8th, 2nd, 6th and 6th in the league from 2013-16 in cap space allocated to the defensive side of the ball.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Those bolded words are where a team can get in trouble or prosper; what is the market rate and what performance do you go off of in establishing it? How many times have we seen a player have a great season or a few encourage games, sign a big contract and then go back to being just average? That is the part of player evaluation that some of us question at times, usually I try and fall back on my opinion and leave that up to the organization and say "they have a lot more of the necessary information than I do to make that decision."
Well stated. We have fan opinions. The organization has real day to day facts. Huge difference.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain that Jordy will get extended next year.
I'm actually very uncertain right now about that. I think it takes a while generally for receivers coming in to figure out how to work with Rodgers and gain his trust so that may work in Nelson's favor if he can maintain his health. I think it was much easier for Favre to adjust to new receivers. It was all just a backyard game of ball to him.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This season marks the first time the Packers spend more cap space on offense in at least four years (I don't have access to numbers before that time frame). The team ranked 8th, 2nd, 6th and 6th in the league from 2013-16 in cap space allocated to the defensive side of the ball.
I was thinking more along the lines of bringing in FAs, instead of overpaying his own guys who aren't getting it done. But we are obviously getting really crappy value for the money on the defensive side.

D

Deleted member 6794

fyi...for the Cobb haters...
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

In addition Rodgers has had a passer rating of at least 99.9 in every single season since Cobb was drafted targeting the receiver.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

ill gurantee you that jordy nelson gets resigned after 2018 unless an injury prohibits it. hes gonna eventually spend nearly all his time in the slot which hes proven he can excel at. that role will extend his "meaningful contributor career"

D

Deleted member 6794

ill gurantee you that jordy nelson gets resigned after 2018 unless an injury prohibits it. hes gonna eventually spend nearly all his time in the slot which hes proven he can excel at. that role will extend his "meaningful contributor career"

While Nelson was extremely efficient from the slot last season there's no guarantee his performance won't drop off over the next two years.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
look who's open and making the catch.
If they are actually open ;) Yes, the QB-WR relationship is a two way street, but I think it would be hard to argue with a straight face, that AR isn't responsible for a lot of the success that WR's have in GB.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they are actually open ;) Yes, the QB-WR relationship is a two way street, but I think it would be hard to argue with a straight face, that AR isn't responsible for a lot of the success that WR's have in GB.
absolutely. he's got to get it to them. they have to catch it. if either one gets it wrong...well...2 out of 3 results on a pass are negative.

Members online

Latest posts