Is Adams the next homegrown talent to get a new contract?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
A lot of Packers fans undervalue Cobb´s performance. While he hasn´t played at an elite level over the past two seasons he still ranks third in the NFL in receptions out of the slot since 2014.

This is true. It's unfortunate that in the "all or nothing" culture of football analysis, if you say that a guy isn't as good as another or isn't as good as his salary, it's taken that you mean he's bad. Cobb is a good player in 2017. He just isn't the same player he was in 2014.

D

Deleted member 6794

This is true. It's unfortunate that in the "all or nothing" culture of football analysis, if you say that a guy isn't as good as another or isn't as good as his salary, it's taken that you mean he's bad. Cobb is a good player in 2017. He just isn't the same player he was in 2014.

Maybe Cobb bounces back in a nice way next season as it seems the coaching staff is adamant about getting the ball in his hands more often.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
it seems the coaching staff is adamant about getting the ball in his hands more often.
And to Bennett and to Jordy and to Monty and to Lance and to Adams and to Geronimo and to the RB of the day. There is but one opportunity per offensive snap. Also, how many times has McCarthy said that about someone post game and yet HE IS THE FREAK'N PLAY CALLER!!!

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
James was a good player without Rodgers as well. Very similar player to Adams. The reason he wasn't kept was that he was aging.

Honestly. He is tooooo slow. If he was faster, he would have a job somewhere.
Davante doesn't have that problem. Davante is a great athlete

I think we should sign Adams for 7 a year now, rather than 10 next year...

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it says something that the Packers have never had a receiver thrive with Rodgers when drafted after the 3rd round. He's awesome, no doubt. But if he can make just any receiver great, why aren't the mid to late picks becoming starters?

The reality is that this offense relies heavily on receivers beating man coverage, and you had better have good players there if you want to be consistently successful. Rodgers' slumps over the past couple of seasons have coincided with issues at wideout.
And te, and rb.... oh Yea, and oline:)

But seriously. There has been a good amount of guys who looked good here. Played out their rookie years, and disappeared once they left. Boykin comes to mind. Janis....Allison is the new one...

I'm kind of stoked about our two drafted rookies this year . As well as last year's drafted rookie Trevor Davis the speedster... even

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Honestly. He is tooooo slow. If he was faster, he would have a job somewhere.
Davante doesn't have that problem. Davante is a great athlete

I think we should sign Adams for 7 a year now, rather than 10 next year...

Yes, Jones was too slow by the end of his career. But coming out of college, he and Adams were virtually identical in terms of speed. He ran a 4.54 at 6'1" 207, while Adams ran a 4.56 at 6'1" 212. Davante doesn't currently have that problem because he's 24-- not 33. Jones didn't have that problem at 24 either.

But seriously. There has been a good amount of guys who looked good here. Played out their rookie years, and disappeared once they left. Boykin comes to mind. Janis....Allison is the new one...

I'm kind of stoked about our two drafted rookies this year . As well as last year's drafted rookie Trevor Davis the speedster... even

No, there really haven't. Every team in the league will have a guy flash here or there, but the Packers have only found successful starting receivers in the top three rounds since Rodgers has been here. That doesn't mean that someone can't buck the trend. In fact, I'd bet that someone will eventually. But it does highlight the inaccuracy in thinking that Rodgers can make just anyone into a good receiver.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb has plenty of athleticism that isn't his problem. The problem is that he's basically Ty Montgomery with less bulk. A guy who can move from the slot to the backfield and create match up problems. But whereas Cobb is only really a threat running the ball when defenses are playing pass Monty can be effective even when theyre playing run. The problem is that Ty Montgomery might be a better player in terms of ceiling and potential.

If I had to chose between Cobb and Montgomery it would be tough for me to do. I don't want to put words in your mouth but I think what you were trying to say in the bold part above is that Montgomery may have the advantage because of his ceiling and potential and I can't say I disagree with that. However, the comparison is really only valid if they convert Montgomery back to WR. With regard to the part in bold above as long as Monty is a RB and Cobb is a WR I don't think their ceilings and potentials can be directly compared. They are similar players with similar skill sets but as long as they play two different positions they are going to be asked to do two different things. I don't think you will see Monty line up wide very often (though he may go in motion) and I don't think you will see Cobb in the backfield very often. Monty has youth and versatility on his side but he hasn't shown me that he can be a consistent threat at RB yet and he certainly hasn't shown me he can compare with Cobb when it comes to receiving skills. I like both players though and I really like the idea of both being on the field at the same time. I think Monty offers a bit more in the way of breakaway potential due to his size but I think Cobb, more than any other WR or RB (yes even Jordy) can rally the team. I love his enthusiasm and I think if Rodgers can hit him for a few crucial plays he can really pick the team up and ignite them. He is always smiling and genuinely seem to be excited, not that the others aren't but not like Cobb. I liked his sideline catch even more than Cook's in the playoff game last season. He may not be playing up to his contract but I think he is very important to the Packers offense. Maybe more than his numbers show.

A lot of Packers fans undervalue Cobb´s performance. While he hasn´t played at an elite level over the past two seasons he still ranks third in the NFL in receptions out of the slot since 2014.

I assume that includes 2014 because when you say "since 2014" it could mean it is included or it could mean it is not included. The reason I ask is because numbers over three years can be deceiving. If a player has a great 1st year, a so so 2nd year and a poor third year (a consistent decrease in other words which could indicate a decline in ability and not just a statistical anomaly) he may still rank highly over the three year span based on 1 very good performance in year 1. I'm just throwing that out there in general because I am not saying that is the case with Cobb at all. I agree with you 100% that a lot of fans undervalue him, especially when you add in his contract numbers.

I think it says something that the Packers have never had a receiver thrive with Rodgers when drafted after the 3rd round. He's awesome, no doubt. But if he can make just any receiver great, why aren't the mid to late picks becoming starters?

The reality is that this offense relies heavily on receivers beating man coverage, and you had better have good players there if you want to be consistently successful. Rodgers' slumps over the past couple of seasons have coincided with issues at wideout.

You dare to suggest that Ted may not be the WR guru that everyone think he is. I ask because I've said the exact same thing before. Ted is a WR Guru as long as his picks are 1st or second day. After that they are just WRs.

As far a Adams goes (have to make some comment on the original subject matter right?) truth be told if one of the young guys (maybe Allison) shows a big jump this year I wouldn't mind seeing us move on from him rather than giving him a big contract. Obviously what we do with him depends on if another WR develops enough to replace him but assuming one does and the choice for 2018 was to sign Adams long term or keep Cobb around for another year (and maybe give him a third contract) honestly I'd rather have Cobb. I really do like Adams and I think he will be very good for us but I just don't see him being anything special. I think Randall Cobb is special, at least with Rodgers throwing him the ball.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm always stoked about any WR we draft but maybe that is because we have Aaron Rodgers throwing them the ball. I can't think of too many rookies who really looked that good here and haven't stayed here. Boykin? meh. Janis? looked good? Allison? He's still here and may be here longer than Adams so he doesn't really count.

No, there really haven't. Every team in the league will have a guy flash here or there, but the Packers have only found successful starting receivers in the top three rounds since Rodgers has been here. That doesn't mean that someone can't buck the trend. In fact, I'd bet that someone will eventually. But it does highlight the inaccuracy in thinking that Rodgers can make just anyone into a good receiver.

What he said.

I think if you take any of the WRs you are thinking of Slacker (Boykin for one since you mentioned him by name) and put them on any other team (meaning a team you don't pay very close attention to or even a team you hate) you wouldn't think their rookie years were so great. I'm sure there were lots of players on other teams that had numbers similar to Boykin's over their first years and most likely you probably never even heard of them unless you are simply a die hard NFL fan.

D

Deleted member 6794

If I had to chose between Cobb and Montgomery it would be tough for me to do. I don't want to put words in your mouth but I think what you were trying to say in the bold part above is that Montgomery may have the advantage because of his ceiling and potential and I can't say I disagree with that.

I think that Cobb has a mich higher ceiling and potential than Montgomery as a receiver. It's true #88 is a more talented running back though.

I assume that includes 2014 because when you say "since 2014" it could mean it is included or it could mean it is not included.

The numbers I posted above include the 2014 season.

As far a Adams goes (have to make some comment on the original subject matter right?) truth be told if one of the young guys (maybe Allison) shows a big jump this year I wouldn't mind seeing us move on from him rather than giving him a big contract.

With Nelson getting up there in age it would be a terrible idea for the Packers to let their second best outside wide receiver walk away in free agency.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Nelson getting up there in age it would be a terrible idea for the Packers to let their second best outside wide receiver walk away in free agency.

I agree, I should have elaborated a bit. If it came down to Cobb or Adams I'd prefer Cobb. If it looks like we can't afford Adams, which like you have said in the past, they can afford the right players if they really want them, I'd rather see them get rid of Nelson. Also, like I did say, getting rid of Adams would be predicated on one of the young guys showing A LOT of improvement.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree, I should have elaborated a bit. If it came down to Cobb or Adams I'd prefer Cobb. If it looks like we can't afford Adams, which like you have said in the past, they can afford the right players if they really want them, I'd rather see them get rid of Nelson. Also, like I did say, getting rid of Adams would be predicated on one of the young guys showing A LOT of improvement.

While Nelson is getting up there in age there's absolutely no reason to even think about getting rid of him as long as he performs like last season. It will be extremely tough for any other receiver than the top three on the depth chart to put up numbers even close to the ones Adams did last season, therefore I wouldn't feel confident with the Packers letting him walk in free agency next year.

I would prefer the team to sign him before the season as it would most likely be significantly cheaper than in March.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see Adams having a big big season. I see him playing himself out of GreenBay if he does as good as I predict which is 1,300yds and 8TDs. I just want to see if he can stay healthy all year or if he misses a few games again. But the bright side is I believe we see his replacement emerge in Allison this season. I have Geronimo going for 500+yds and 5TDs. I have a feeling Rodgers really likes Geronimo Allison and will eventually feel the same about Dupre!

D

Deleted member 6794

I see Adams having a big big season. I see him playing himself out of GreenBay if he does as good as I predict which is 1,300yds and 8TDs. I just want to see if he can stay healthy all year or if he misses a few games again. But the bright side is I believe we see his replacement emerge in Allison this season. I have Geronimo going for 500+yds and 5TDs. I have a feeling Rodgers really likes Geronimo Allison and will eventually feel the same about Dupre!

The Packers better re-sign Adams if he puts up numbers like that in 2017. I like Allison as well but don't expect him to develop into a starting receiver though. I agree that Dupre is an intriguing prospect.

Sky King

Reaction score
Count me out of the "He's Too Good For Us To Keep" crowd. Not with a cap cushion as large as the Packers still enjoy.

One or more of the rookies or nondescript incumbents would have to have a wail of a season in '17 for any of the starters to suddenly become expendable. Even then, the last two seasons were proof that a position of strength can become a position of weakness practically overnight due to both season-ending and stubborn nagging injuries.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers better re-sign Adams if he puts up numbers like that in 2017. I like Allison as well but don't expect him to develop into a starting receiver though. I agree that Dupre is an intriguing prospect.
If he has a stud probowl season I don't think we could retain him with the money other teams will be throwing at him 10mil+. I don't think Geronimo will be the same WR as Adams. They are 2 different type of athletes. I do think Geronimo will develop into a solid #3 which we will start to see this season! Only way we keep Adams is to pony up and pay the man, we did Cobb.

D

Deleted member 6794

If he has a stud probowl season I don't think we could retain him with the money other teams will be throwing at him 10mil+. I don't think Geronimo will be the same WR as Adams. They are 2 different type of athletes. I do think Geronimo will develop into a solid #3 which we will start to see this season! Only way we keep Adams is to pony up and pay the man, we did Cobb.

The Packers currently have $42 million already including the possible roll over from this year to work with next offseason if the cap increases to $178 million. That should be plenty enough cap space to re-sign Adams, especially by smartly structuring the contract and considering the team won't have a lot of core free agents to retain.

I would be excited if Allison turns into a decent #4 receiver.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The Packers currently have $42 million already including the possible roll over from this year to work with next offseason if the cap increases to $178 million. That should be plenty enough cap space to re-sign Adams, especially by smartly structuring the contract and considering the team won't have a lot of core free agents to retain.

I would be excited if Allison turns into a decent #4 receiver.
When it comes down to it, it isn't whether the Packers have the cap space, it is how much Ted feels he is worth vs the rest of the league.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Well that's 1800 yards between the 3rd and 4th WR leaving approximately 2400 yds between the 1 and 2 WR, 3 TE's, and the RB's. Sounds like some of those guys are going to be grossly overpaid.

I don't see it playing out that way unless Nelson, Cobb, Bennett and Montgomery get injured.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well that's 1800 yards between the 3rd and 4th WR leaving approximately 2400 yds between the 1 and 2 WR, 3 TE's, and the RB's. Sounds like some of those guys are going to be grossly overpaid.

I don't see it playing out that way unless Nelson, Cobb, Bennett and Montgomery get injured.
I see Cobb losing targets to Geronimo thats the reason I have him having such good stats and also predicting Cobb's will go down.

D

Deleted member 6794

I see Cobb losing targets to Geronimo thats the reason I have him having such good stats and also predicting Cobb's will go down.

It seems the coaching staff wants to get the ball in Cobb's hands more often though. Therefore I don't believe he will lose snaps to Allison.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It seems the coaching staff wants to get the ball in Cobb's hands more often though. Therefore I don't believe he will lose snaps to Allison.

There's also the issue of Allison not being particularly good.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb has plenty of athleticism that isn't his problem. The problem is that he's basically Ty Montgomery with less bulk. A guy who can move from the slot to the backfield and create match up problems. But whereas Cobb is only really a threat running the ball when defenses are playing pass Monty can be effective even when theyre playing run. The problem is that Ty Montgomery might be a better player in terms of ceiling and potential.

Cobb is not Ty with less bulk, Cobb is a WR while many people have thought that Ty should be a RB since he came out of college. It's like comparing Cobb to Melvin Gordon...they play different positions. People need to forget that Ty was drafted as a WR because he should have been drafted as a multi-role RB; it just takes time for MM to work up the courage to do something unconventional (I mean, even with Ty in the backfield we STILL didn't see MM shifting him out of the backfield to create mismatches that much).

Members online

Latest posts