The Evolving WR Situation...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So my mind and discussion with a friend (fellow Packer fan) led us down the route of the wide receiver room here at Green Bay...and how it projects moving forward. It's easy to say Green Bay as an organization appears to be sitting at a stop sign with about 4 or 5 different roads to choose from to move forward on - many decisions need to be made and will be which govern which direction or route is taken at the intersection.

The fallout of how this Aaron Rodgers item is a large factor in this - but essentially this group has 2 directions we are going to head down IMO:

1 - A 2022 with Adams (extension), Lazard (RFA tendered), Rodgers + 1 guy signed from MVS, Funchess, EQSB, Taylor

2 - Adams is not extended and Gute/Co. essentially bring back everyone for cohesiveness for Rodgers or Love - MVS, Lazard, Rodgers, Funchess (if he does well) and another guy that makes the roster this year EQSB/Taylor/Unknown presently

Either way you slice it come 2022 if answers are not found internally, WR is going to without question be one of the biggest needs this team is facing...and very well could be facing it with a young QB to boot.

Now a couple spins or takes which we spitballed out over some bourbon (so take that into consideration) were:

Trading Adams - this is a last resort type scenario and NOT one anyone would desire. However, the situation where this becomes a reality is Rodgers and Packers never make up and 2021 we don't see a Rodgers at QB here in Green Bay (traded, retired...somehow gone). Adams, most likely quietly, informs Gute/MLF/Murphy he doesn't intend to finish his career or next contract in Green Bay with a new young QB going through growing pains. It is a professional approach and Green Bay fields calls out of respect to Davante in the 2021 season before the deadline - the return could be quite massive given he is arguably the best or one of the best in the game.

Trading Lazard - Lazard is a talented, consistent WR for a team when he is on the field. A secure solid #3 on nearly any roster with high upside is something teams might desire grabbing. Yes he is going to be a RFA so keeping him isn't going to be insanely expensive, but with so many cap issues and if we sign Davante to massive money - cash spent at the WR position would be better served on a guy like MVS who presently offers something no one else on the roster does or can. Lazard is simply easier to replace. I could see this being an option EVEN if Rodgers does come back and we don't start a reload fallout type situation...this one hinges IMO on them finding or seeing the potential for a guy like Malik Taylor or EQSB to finally step up and take on that role of Lazard providing that 50 Reception - 750 yds - 7TDs type production that Lazard projects (needs to see a complete season health wise) to when seeing the field.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Been thinking about this, also, from the standpoint that AR isn't in GB moving forward.
- Adams & MVS are both unrestricted FA after '21, so it's conceivable that neither want to return and/OR both receive monster offers from other teams in '22.
- It's also conceivable that one (or both!!) would want out in '21 and that their trade(s) might be accommodated for the right price leaving just Lazard, Funchess, EQSB, Rodgers, Taylor and others by the end of '21.
- The TE room might be affected also, if Tonyan becomes a bigger target & racks up the stats would be more difficult to re-sign OR he'd get an outside offer as an unrestricted FA that Gute wouldn't want to beat?

The AR situation could definitely snowball into a bigger clusterf*ck but any of these situation would be handled. The '22 cap could look drastically different if any/most/all of these receiver issues occur with more dead cap than we're all accustomed to, but also more room to sign FA's, also.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Been thinking about this, also, from the standpoint that AR isn't in GB moving forward.
- Adams & MVS are both unrestricted FA after '21, so it's conceivable that neither want to return and/OR both receive monster offers from other teams in '22.
- It's also conceivable that one (or both!!) would want out in '21 and that their trade(s) might be accommodated for the right price leaving just Lazard, Funchess, EQSB, Rodgers, Taylor and others by the end of '21.
- The TE room might be affected also, if Tonyan becomes a bigger target & racks up the stats would be more difficult to re-sign OR he'd get an outside offer as an unrestricted FA that Gute wouldn't want to beat?

The AR situation could definitely snowball into a bigger clusterf*ck but any of these situation would be handled. The '22 cap could look drastically different if any/most/all of these receiver issues occur with more dead cap than we're all accustomed to, but also more room to sign FA's, also.

I think if MVS sees an Adams departure he will be smiling - that would most likely boost his contract price to stay in Green Bay and have an outside chance to build into the #1 even here. I don't personally want a team with MVS as the #1, but a #2 sure.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
My thoughts on Adams mostly jive with yours, but his tweet the other day made me really think about him more. As you point out, it is imperative for the FO to know where Adams head is in regards to Aaron Rodgers. Basically, "Davante if Aaron is gone, are you thinking you are leaving too?" If the answer is "yes, can't see being here without him", then you trade him ASAP (if Rodgers in fact is done). Don't wait until the trade deadline. Rationale: Packers are now in rebuild mode without #12. Adams highest value in a trade is to let him latch on to a team for a full season and workout a new contract. Right now, there are 31 other teams that feel they will go to the Super Bowl. At the trade deadline, a lot less and some of those might not want to rent him for as much.

If Davante is set in Green Bay and it doesn't matter what #12 is doing, then you probably progress towards the new contract, that will no doubt make him one of the top paid WR's in the game. I say probably, because if there is any doubt as to where his head is or the FO sees the rebuild taking 2-4 years, then I have to wonder if an Adams trade for some really good draft capital might not be the better route. Packers fans would lose their sh*t if they lost both #12 and #17, but if it means saving a ton of money and pooling some top pics, so be it.

Currently, I see the Packer WR Depth chart looking like this:
  1. Adams
  2. Rodgers (not skill level but lock on making team)
  3. MVS
  4. Lazard (or 5)
  5. Funchess (or 4)
  6. ESB
  7. Taylor
  8. Begleton
  9. JAGS and UDFA's

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there's anyway the Packers fail to extend Adams. Whether the QB is Aaron Rodgers, Jordan Love, or someone else, he's the perfect wr for any qb as Brett Hundley can attest to... franchise tag would be in play here I'm sure if needed. But I see no way they let him walk out of the building

I don't think MVS will be back because I expect him to have the best season of his career in a contract year in 2021, pricing himself out of GB. And I also see no scenario in which it would be wise to choose to give big money to MVS instead of Adams

Opening day 6
Adams #1
Rodgers/MVS #2/3
Lazard #4
Funchess #5
EQSB #6

Pretty well rounded group with the addition of the guy Randall Cobb himself has now said, thinks is gonna be a better version of himself

You can have all the picks you would get for both, and still the chances of drafting another Aaron Rodgers or another Davante Adams is slim to none

Oh and the whole team I'm willing to bet save for couple outliers because there always are, is behind Aaron Rodgers. I'd bet even Jordan Love takes Rodgers side over the FO. No player wants to be disrespected and if they do it to him they'll do it to me...

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No player wants to be disrespected and if they do it to him they'll do it to me...
THAT happens EVERY DAY in the NFL. Rosters are built to maximize the level of talent at all positions and every starter's replacement is sitting in the same meeting room with them every day. "They" will do it to everyone, eventually.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
THAT happens EVERY DAY in the NFL. Rosters are built to maximize the level of talent at all positions and every starter's replacement is sitting in the same meeting room with them every day. "They" will do it to everyone, eventually.

I understand that but you can do things in a way that's considered respectful by the players and a way that's not...the Packers FO unfortunately has the reputation amongst the players of the latter. And this situation only furthers that feeling

No one is saying bringing in a player at the same position of another is disrespectful that's called competition and depth in a game of attrition

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't think MVS will be back because I expect him to have the best season of his career in a contract year in 2021, pricing himself out of GB.

I could be wrong, but if A-Rod is gone, I am not as confident about MVS having a spectacular season. His game is deep ball dependent, there aren't many that throw that like #12. If Love is the QB, MVS's bid for a monster season gets derailed, not only because of the deep ball, but I see the new Packer offense focusing a lot more on running and short quick passes.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but if A-Rod is gone, I am not as confident about MVS having a spectacular season. His game is deep ball dependent, there aren't many that throw that like #12. If Love is the QB, MVS's bid for a monster season gets derailed, not only because of the deep ball, but I see the new Packer offense focusing a lot more on running and short quick passes.

Oh yeah I'm talking about with Rodgers...I agree if Love is a first year starter in 2021. Although I do think he can throw a nice deep ball, I don't think MVS is precise enough to excel. That being the reason I would expect Adams to excel

I also see no chance Rodgers isn't the Packers QB in 2021 and most likely 2022. I kinda see it as the Packers have to make a 2 year committee to him at this point. And possibly longer

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I understand that but you can do things in a way that's considered respectful by the players and a way that's not...the Packers FO unfortunately has the reputation amongst the players of the latter. And this situation only furthers that feeling

I am curious, where does this come from, because I have heard it thrown around in here before. Is it just some fans perspective or are there an overwhelming (more than other teams) number of players saying it?

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am curious, where does this come from, because I have heard it thrown around in here before. Is it just some fans perspective or are there an overwhelming (more than other teams) number of players saying it?

Well I think it has something to do with TT being GM so long and Gutey being described as very similar to TT. Very good talent evaluators very bad people skills. I have heard more than just fans and players talking about it. I've heard local and national media speak of it as well.

Andrew Brandt actually just wrote a long article about it for whoever he works for now. I believe si.com

Jason Wilde often talks about it and I essentially paraphrased both above.

No matter what you think of the way the Favre era ended there's no doubt it was managed poorly. Now here we are again and no matter what you think of how the Rodgers era will end there's no doubt it's already being managed poorly...the other players see all that even more so than anyone on the outside ever could

Don't know about compared to other teams but my guess is yes more so possibly because of the lack of an owner and more likely because of the personalities they've had as leaders. Mark Murphy is certainly no gem either in the people skills department and I doubt Ball is either

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Mark Murphy is certainly no gem either in the people skills department

We can definitely agree on this. ;)

I think Murphy has done well on the business end of the organization, but wish he would stay out of the player personnel side.

I actually think Gute and Rodgers probably have similar personalities and whether its intentional or not, this has been a power play between the 2.

As far as the organization though, as a whole they have fared very well. Yes, they have had the benefit of 2 HOF QB's for the last 25+ years, but who gets credit for obtaining them? Who gets credit for fielding the teams they have had during that time?

I eb and flow on my feelings about this mess, especially as I hear new "information"/rumors. While I think both sides have made mistakes along the way, at the moment, I feel Rodgers is the one that is ultimately blowing this thing up, when it didn't need to be.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I eb and flow on my feelings about this mess, especially as I hear new "information"/rumors. While I think both sides have made mistakes along the way, at the moment, I feel Rodgers is the one that is ultimately blowing this thing up, when it didn't need to be.

Sums me up as well, and I concur Rodgers and Gute are similar in their desire to control, but Gute is vastly less arrogant than Rodgers I believe.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Gute is vastly less arrogant than Rodgers I believe.

Publicly perhaps. What we don't get to see or hear much about, is how he is behind the scenes. I have no idea either way, but its a possibility. Aaron has been around long enough, that I think most Packer fans paying attention, know the guy pretty well.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But I seriously do think the wr group this season is gonna be the best it's been as whole since 2014

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
But I seriously do think the wr group this season is gonna be the best it's been as whole since 2014

With who at QB though? ;)

I tend to agree with you if Rodgers is under center.

I think if Rodgers is gone, the offense will struggle quite a bit. Less under a MLF system, then it would have under a TT offense. If Rodgers leaves, the biggest QB decision that the Packers will face is "Who do we want running the offense in 2021?" I think to appease fans, protect Love from forcing him into something he may not be ready for and maybe get a few wins, they bring in a low priced Vet to compete with Love. If Love isn't ready, he is #2, that will see quite a bit of playing time if the season goes South.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With who at QB though? ;)

...If Rodgers leaves, the biggest QB decision that the Packers will face is "Who do we want running the offense in 2021?" I think to appease fans, protect Love from forcing him into something he may not be ready for and maybe get a few wins, they bring in a low priced Vet to compete with Love. If Love isn't ready, he is #2, that will see quite a bit of playing time if the season goes South.
I think the outrage would be pretty loud IF Love wouldn't be at the helm.

I would bring in a vet who knows some of the system already ~ Nick Mullens from SF. I'm guessing similar offensive system & possibly terminology with the chance to start if Love completely flames-out or gets injured.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think the outrage would be pretty loud IF Love wouldn't be at the helm.

While I get that, I think fans would be more outraged if MLF didn't put the QB on the field that gives us the best chance of winning. I also think that if Love isn't ready, they may not want to throw him to the wolves, both on the field and off the field. Imagine the chatter in here and elsewhere if Love looks like Hundley 2.0? That alone could be a motivating factor. There are many examples of rookie QB's just being put in too soon and like I said, if it is playing experience you want him to gain, I believe a Rodgerless Packer team will provide MLF with plenty of opportunities to get Love some snaps.

I don't think the Packers have to prove to anyone that Love is better than Rodgers, I think they just need to prove that Love was a potentially good option for the future.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This just in...Aaron Rodgers will be the Packers starting QB in 2021. Jordan Love will be his backup and the two will be shown in photos smiling together because they have no hard feelings towards each other

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This just in...Aaron Rodgers will be the Packers starting QB in 2021. Jordan Love will be his backup and the two will be shown in photos smiling together because they have no hard feelings towards each other

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I would bring in a vet who knows some of the system already ~ Nick Mullens from SF. I'm guessing similar offensive system & possibly terminology with the chance to start if Love completely flames-out or gets injured.
I expect Mullens to be signed no matter what. As soon as some cap space opens up. Need a 3rd and 4th camp arm and I have not seen any signed yet. Depends also on the open camp tryout weekend if they have it this year.

if Love looks like Hundley 2.0?
Why settle for 2.0 when you can go out and sign the original.
Love is the victim of this clickbait shitshow so he should be able to smile.

Members online

Latest posts