The Evolving WR Situation...

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Why settle for 2.0 when you can go out and sign the original.

I know you were joking, but possibly one of the worst things that the Packers could do is to bring Hundley or Kizer back. But yes, the Packers could have 3 new QB's on the roster in the next month, 2 if Rodgers sticks around. The level of talent of those new QB's will depend on the Rodgers situation. Camp arms or possible Temp 2021 starter?

I am actually a bit surprised that no UDFA QB's have been signed. Which also has my mind wondering if there might be a deal in the works and said deal might include a QB that could be just a cast off throw in temp starter or a full fledged starter, that just needs a change of scenery. I think its a bad look (on Love) if they try to get a potential future QB in the deal.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Found one, easier than I thought. ;)
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

What we don't see in this picture and it got cut off, are Murphy and Gute both holding shot guns on Rodgers, forcing him to look happy.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like scenario 1 better if EQSTB is the keeper. Scenario 2 I can't see happening at all, I think Davante is a Packers lifer.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This just in...Aaron Rodgers will be the Packers starting QB in 2021. Jordan Love will be his backup and the two will be shown in photos smiling together because they have no hard feelings towards each other

I don't think Rodgers holds any ill will towards Love. Its not Love's fault he was drafted. Rodgers as much as anyone should know this.

As far as WRs go I think we have a minimum of 3 years with Adams. 2021 under contract and then, worst case scenario 2 years of franchise tags. I don't think it will come to that though as I expect Adams to sign an extension sometime before the end of the 2021 season. If he makes it through the season without one it could become a bit dicey and the franchise tag could come into play.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sums me up as well, and I concur Rodgers and Gute are similar in their desire to control, but Gute is vastly less arrogant than Rodgers I believe.
I think Gute just wants to put together a winning team. And I would hope that means listening to what others think. By that I mean the coaches and scouts. But the buck stops with him for sure.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Love is definitely learning from Rodgers I hope. How not to act.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Love is definitely learning from Rodgers I hope. How not to act.

If Love ends up being better than Rodgers like Rodgers became better than Favre...the same thing will happen at the end of his career too. Unless the Packers FO drastically changes. They're 2 for 2 so far. If he is a jag then it won't matter...

I think Gute just wants to put together a winning team. And I would hope that means listening to what others think. By that I mean the coaches and scouts. But the buck stops with him for sure.

So if gute wants to put together a winner and Rodgers won't play with him as GM... should he step down to give the Packers the best chance to win. Because I've not yet heard one person who thinks the Packers have a better chance to win without Rodgers

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Love ends up being better than Rodgers like Rodgers became better than Favre...the same thing will happen at the end of his career too. Unless the Packers FO drastically changes. They're 2 for 2 so far. If he is a jag then it won't matter...
Maybe you are referring to giving Rodgers $100,000,000.00 in cash.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe you are referring to giving Rodgers $100,000,000.00 in cash.

That's the going rate for the JOB he does...I think people forget this is just what the guy does for work. Should I be unconditionally grateful to Walmart for paying me whatever they pay someone to stock shelves? So why should Rodgers be unconditionally grateful to the Packers for paying him whatever they pay a guy to be the best qb in the NFL?

Also how much more than 100,000,000 did the Packers make off Rodgers during the time that he has been employed by them?

Now if you're saying having that much money changes people maybe...

Reaction score
THAT happens EVERY DAY in the NFL. Rosters are built to maximize the level of talent at all positions and every starter's replacement is sitting in the same meeting room with them every day. "They" will do it to everyone, eventually.
Yeah. Plus as I’ve said there’s a difference between a QB turning 38 years old expecting $40+mil and a contract extension into his 40’s and the other QB turning 23 years old on a 3mil/yr guaranteed for 3 more seasons.
Rodgers had to expect that GB would take the option of choosing their next franchise QB successor hopefully for 15 seasons. He’s approaching 40 so to me this isn’t a big surprise.
Things were probably not handled as professionally as Rodgers liked, but were talking about a relatively new GM here. Also, it’s my opinion that they’ve known all along about Rodgers difficult personality and they were quietly looking to get away from him and make a transition that would define a new legacy. The Joe Montana to Steve Young transition deal if you will. Rodgers finally figured out that he wasn’t in the future dating plans and took issue.

Quite honestly, Knowing what I think they’ve known about Aaron’s personality, I may not have told him he was being put out to pasture ahead of time either.

One day well know the truth and I see a book deal coming.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah. Plus as I’ve said there’s a difference between a QB turning 38 years old expecting $40+mil and a contract extension into his 40’s and the other QB turning 23 years old on a 3mil/yr guaranteed for 3 more seasons.
Rodgers had to expect that GB would take the option of choosing their next franchise QB successor hopefully for 15 seasons. He’s approaching 40 so to me this isn’t a big surprise.
Things were probably not handled as professionally as Rodgers liked, but were talking about a relatively new GM here. Also, it’s my opinion that they’ve known all along about Rodgers difficult personality and they were quietly looking to get away from him and make a transition that would define a new legacy. The Joe Montana to Steve Young transition deal if you will. Rodgers finally figured out that he wasn’t in the future dating plans and took issue.

Quite honestly, Knowing what I think they’ve known about Aaron’s personality, I may not have told him he was being put out to pasture ahead of time either.

One day well know the truth and I see a book deal coming.
We’ll probably only hear Rodgers side of the story if Gutekunst is anything like Thompson.

How did Joe Montana handle his situation? I wasn’t close enough to that situation and wasn’t paying close attention.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
We’ll probably only hear Rodgers side of the story if Gutekunst is anything like Thompson.

How did Joe Montana handle his situation? I wasn’t close enough to that situation and wasn’t paying close attention.

Remember that Gute is not representing just his own interests, he is trying to represent those of the entire organization, that is his job. A job that if he does it wrong, he could be fired and unlike Rodgers, probably just doesn't parallel jump into a similar one. Rodgers best interest is himself. I'm not saying that Rodgers doesn't care about the team or his teammates, but at the end of the day, all he needs to focus on his Aaron Rodgers. If the Packers don't want him, he will make more money elsewhere. Gutes decisions effect a lot more people, so yes, he is probably trying to be very careful and measured with what he says.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember that Gute is not representing just his own interests, he is trying to represent those of the entire organization, that is his job. A job that if he does it wrong, he could be fired and unlike Rodgers, probably just doesn't parallel jump into a similar one. Rodgers best interest is himself. I'm not saying that Rodgers doesn't care about the team or his teammates, but at the end of the day, all he needs to focus on his Aaron Rodgers. If the Packers don't want him, he will make more money elsewhere. Gutes decisions effect a lot more people, so yes, he is probably trying to be very careful and measured with what he says.

Rodgers' heirarchy for what he cares about in life:

Rodgers
Proving others wrong
Rodgers
Holding grudges, even if family
Rodgers
His small circle of friends
Rodgers
Perfecting smugness
Rodgers
His new fiance/wife
His fans
Greenbay Fans
Rodgers
Jeapordy

*This is not an endorsement of not wanting him to be my team's QB - I desperately want him to be, because I truly think this team has an incredibly well built roster capable of a SB.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Rodgers
Proving others wrong
Rodgers
Rodgers
Rodgers
Perfecting smugness
Rodgers
His new fiance/wife
His fans
Greenbay Fans
Rodgers
Jeapordy

*This is not an endorsement of not wanting him to be my team's QB - I desperately want him to be, because I truly think this team has an incredibly well built roster capable of a SB.

I actually think Jeopardy is higher on that list.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

Rodgers
Proving others wrong
Rodgers
Rodgers
Rodgers
Perfecting smugness
Rodgers
His new fiance/wife
His fans
Greenbay Fans
Rodgers
Jeapordy

I would hope the fiance/GF d'jour is higher than his small group of friends.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So my mind and discussion with a friend (fellow Packer fan) led us down the route of the wide receiver room here at Green Bay...and how it projects moving forward. It's easy to say Green Bay as an organization appears to be sitting at a stop sign with about 4 or 5 different roads to choose from to move forward on - many decisions need to be made and will be which govern which direction or route is taken at the intersection.

The fallout of how this Aaron Rodgers item is a large factor in this - but essentially this group has 2 directions we are going to head down IMO:

1 - A 2022 with Adams (extension), Lazard (RFA tendered), Rodgers + 1 guy signed from MVS, Funchess, EQSB, Taylor

2 - Adams is not extended and Gute/Co. essentially bring back everyone for cohesiveness for Rodgers or Love - MVS, Lazard, Rodgers, Funchess (if he does well) and another guy that makes the roster this year EQSB/Taylor/Unknown presently

Either way you slice it come 2022 if answers are not found internally, WR is going to without question be one of the biggest needs this team is facing...and very well could be facing it with a young QB to boot.

Now a couple spins or takes which we spitballed out over some bourbon (so take that into consideration) were:

Trading Adams - this is a last resort type scenario and NOT one anyone would desire. However, the situation where this becomes a reality is Rodgers and Packers never make up and 2021 we don't see a Rodgers at QB here in Green Bay (traded, retired...somehow gone). Adams, most likely quietly, informs Gute/MLF/Murphy he doesn't intend to finish his career or next contract in Green Bay with a new young QB going through growing pains. It is a professional approach and Green Bay fields calls out of respect to Davante in the 2021 season before the deadline - the return could be quite massive given he is arguably the best or one of the best in the game.

Trading Lazard - Lazard is a talented, consistent WR for a team when he is on the field. A secure solid #3 on nearly any roster with high upside is something teams might desire grabbing. Yes he is going to be a RFA so keeping him isn't going to be insanely expensive, but with so many cap issues and if we sign Davante to massive money - cash spent at the WR position would be better served on a guy like MVS who presently offers something no one else on the roster does or can. Lazard is simply easier to replace. I could see this being an option EVEN if Rodgers does come back and we don't start a reload fallout type situation...this one hinges IMO on them finding or seeing the potential for a guy like Malik Taylor or EQSB to finally step up and take on that role of Lazard providing that 50 Reception - 750 yds - 7TDs type production that Lazard projects (needs to see a complete season health wise) to when seeing the field.

If they can work things out with Rodgers and he's staying in 2021 and perhaps beyond, there's no discussion-- get an extension done with Adams.

If the plan is to move on to Love in 2022, or sooner, you are probably better off long term letting Adams walk, or trading him.

Let's say for hypothetical purposes that Love is a successful player, and that he starts in 2022. He probably isn't hitting his stride as a player until 2023, 2024. Adams turns 29 this year, so in 2022, he would turn 30, and he would be 31/32 in those seasons when Love is hitting his stride.

I'm not saying that a 31/32 year old Adams won't be great. He easily could be. But it might make more sense to flip him for resources that are more likely to be effective within Love's timeline.

Lastly, I don't think that Lazard has any trade value at all.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lastly, I don't think that Lazard has any trade value at all.

Really? He has put up consistent and solid figures in the games he dresses...is it production or health reasons you don't think you could get say a 5th (conditionally elevating to a 4th) type deal from a team?

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

Rodgers
Proving others wrong
Rodgers
Rodgers
Rodgers
Perfecting smugness
Rodgers
His new fiance/wife
His fans
Greenbay Fans
Rodgers
Jeapordy

:roflmao:

yall so mad.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:roflmao:

yall so mad.

LOL, nah none of this has really changed my image of Rodgers. I've always known he is an arrogant cuss - and a **** good quarterback, perhaps will be the best I see in my lifetime IMO. Doesn't change how he appears to approach life.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Really? He has put up consistent and solid figures in the games he dresses...is it production or health reasons you don't think you could get say a 5th (conditionally elevating to a 4th) type deal from a team?

Lazard is a useful player in this offense. He's willing and capable to do the dirty work, blocking and such. But that skill set has minimal trade value. In the passing game, he's mostly a function of LaFleur's design. You can't just ask him to line up against man coverage and beat press, create separation, etc.

I really don't think you could get a thing.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lazard is a useful player in this offense. He's willing and capable to do the dirty work, blocking and such. But that skill set has minimal trade value. In the passing game, he's mostly a function of LaFleur's design. You can't just ask him to line up against man coverage and beat press, create separation, etc.

I really don't think you could get a thing.

Hmm....I think we'd have to disagree on this. Trevor Davis got something, not much but something, and to me Lazard is incredibly more valuable and useful to a team.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Hmm....I think we'd have to disagree on this. Trevor Davis got something, not much but something, and to me Lazard is incredibly more valuable and useful to a team.

That was a stupid move on the Raiders' part, but they traded a 6th for Davis in large part because of ST value. So it's not apples to apples.

Members online

Latest posts