Have any of our rookies been standing out so far?

H

HardRightEdge

Having a hard time interpreting these quotes any other way...
Clark was drafted to replace Raji this season, and was expected to start at NT at least until Pennel returns if not beyond.

There is no other way to interpret this draft pick.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I think Martinez has a good future. Once he learns more and more, I think he'll end up being a very good pick.

H

HardRightEdge

Honestly, I think Martinez has a good future. Once he learns more and more, I think he'll end up being a very good pick.
I did see one play against SF where Martinez stuck his nose in it and took on the runner at thigh level. That's a step forward from the ankle biting we saw in the first couple of games when the play was coming at him downhill.

As a coverage and sideline-to-sideline pursuit guy he's looked pretty good.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Pretty sure the various comments were aimed towards those expecting Clark to be a significant contributor from the start. It doesn't appear that anyone has suggested it would be ok for Clark to not contribute at all for 2-3 seasons.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I did see one play against SF where Martinez stuck his nose in it and took on the runner at thigh level. That's a step forward from the ankle biting we saw in the first couple of games when the play was coming at him downhill.

As a coverage and sideline-to-sideline pursuit guy he's looked pretty good.
I hope he makes that tackling habitual. Dix was anklebiting his entire rookie season.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Produce and contribute... I suppose they could have meant that he won't hit his stride and become a good starter for a couple of years yet. Contribute could just mean that he should provide capable depth. Forums don't encourage comprehensive posting. Clark was up and down in his play, at times stout and at time not stout. I suspect that his issues are the type that can be mostly cleaned up as the season goes on.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing on Marwan Evans and Josh Hawkins? Hawkins has been talked up as a second Sam Shields, have to give Joe Whit credit.

D

Deleted member 6794

Pretty sure the various comments were aimed towards those expecting Clark to be a significant contributor from the start.

Well, the Packers expect Clark to start week 1 at Jacksonville. Pretty sure the front office and coaching staff want him to contribute in a significant way immediately.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, the Packers expect Clark to start week 1 at Jacksonville. Pretty sure the front office and coaching staff want him to contribute in a significant way immediately.

That nicely overlooks the fact that he's starting mainly due to the suspension of Pennel. If Pennel was playing I'm pretty sure Clark would be coming off the bench. And the coach and front office WANT every rookie to come in and contribute immediately, that doesn't mean they expect it.

D

Deleted member 6794

That nicely overlooks the fact that he's starting mainly due to the suspension of Pennel. If Pennel was playing I'm pretty sure Clark would be coming off the bench. And the coach and front office WANT every rookie to come in and contribute immediately, that doesn't mean they expect it.

Pennel was suspended in February and Raji retired in March. Therefore the Packers were aware of having to find a starter on the defensive line for at least the first four weeks of the season before drafting Clark.

With Thompson mostly ignoring free agency the first round pick presents the team's best chance to upgrade the roster. The front office for sure doesn't plan on the player selected at that spot taking two or three years to have a significant impact.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pennel was suspended in February and Raji retired in March. Therefore the Packers were aware of having to find a starter on the defensive line for at least the first four weeks of the season before drafting Clark.

With Thompson mostly ignoring free agency the first round pick presents the team's best chance to upgrade the roster. The front office for sure doesn't plan on the player selected at that spot taking two or three years to have a significant impact.

So you believe the Packers were locked into taking a defensive tackle in March? That as soon as Raji retired, Thompson told the staff to ignore other first round positions and focus solely on defensive tackle?

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you believe the Packers were locked into taking a defensive tackle in March?
I don't think that's what he was saying... but I do think the Packers were locked-into using a 1st, 2nd or 3rd rounder on a DT. I think many of US experts in our mocks had GB taking a DT & ILB in top 2 rounds, so many were "locked into" this thinking as well.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Joe Callahan has been my surprise rookie in 2016. I assumed he was just another camp arm when he was signed. He has almost played himself into a position similar to what Brett Hundley did last year; "too good to stash (on PS)". It's going to be a tough decision for the Packers when it comes to the final 53, keep him or try and stash him. I can see a team like Minnesota trying to sign him if we don't keep him on the 53. While he isn't ready to start this year for any team, he has shown enough for teams to know he has a bright future. But given Rodgers and Hundley's ages, is that in GB?

I would almost prefer to see Marquise Williams play the entire game tonight. Why run the risk of Callahan having another really good outing and further risk having no choice but to put him on the final 53, although the way he has played, that may already be our only option. Short of finding someone who really likes him and trading him now, while his value is high.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

DTs and DLs generally do not produce at a high level their first year in the league, if youre looking for instant contributors the trenches generally aren't the best place to find them. That's one position area where the technique difference between College and the Pro game is tremendous. TE/WR S LB and CB are where youre more likely to get flyers to play at a solid to above level from your draft picks right out of the gate.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
DTs and DLs generally do not produce at a high level their first year in the league, if youre looking for instant contributors the trenches generally aren't the best place to find them. That's one position area where the technique difference between College and the Pro game is tremendous. TE/WR S LB and CB are where youre more likely to get flyers to play at a solid to above level from your draft picks right out of the gate.
I'd add RB to the list of quick contributors if your coach doesn't require good blocking out of a RB. Most RB's need a couple of years to master decent blocking skills.

D

Deleted member 6794

So you believe the Packers were locked into taking a defensive tackle in March? That as soon as Raji retired, Thompson told the staff to ignore other first round positions and focus solely on defensive tackle?

What I'm saying is that the Packers realized in March they were in need of a starter on the defensive line for at least the first four games of the season. With Thompson not using free agency the draft was the only way to improve the DL. While TT most likely didn't decide to spend a first round pick on a the position in advance some might get the impression with him passing on Jack to select Clark.

Joe Callahan has been my surprise rookie in 2016. I assumed he was just another camp arm when he was signed. He has almost played himself into a position similar to what Brett Hundley did last year; "too good to stash (on PS)". It's going to be a tough decision for the Packers when it comes to the final 53, keep him or try and stash him. I can see a team like Minnesota trying to sign him if we don't keep him on the 53. While he isn't ready to start this year for any team, he has shown enough for teams to know he has a bright future. But given Rodgers and Hundley's ages, is that in GB?

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that Callahan was the most surprising rookie this preseason. It will be interesting to see if the Packers decide to keep him on the 53.

DTs and DLs generally do not produce at a high level their first year in the league, if youre looking for instant contributors the trenches generally aren't the best place to find them. That's one position area where the technique difference between College and the Pro game is tremendous.

If Thompson feels the same way about it he should have upgraded the position via free agency.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If Thompson feels the same way about it he should have upgraded the position via free agency.

You didn't just use those 3 words together did you? Thompson, Free, Agency :D

Depending on the status of Clark and others, I almost thought I started smelling Pot Roast cooking last night. :coffee:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Or Thompson felt that he only needed a contributor for this season who could grow into a defensive centerpiece at that position.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really like Hawkins, looks like a kid who would have graded out much higher if we went to a power 5 school. He had another pick last night. Looks like we really do have an embarrassment of riches at that position.

D

Deleted member 6794

Or Thompson felt that he only needed a contributor for this season who could grow into a defensive centerpiece at that position.

I highly doubt that as the team only has three defensive linemen on the roster who have taken an NFL snap with one of them being suspended for the first four games of the season. It should be pretty obvious to every Packers fan that Clark was drafted to have an immediate impact.

Matt39

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well week one in the books, rookie impressions week one were mixed. Martinez was the only rookie to make a serious impact week 1 with 5 solos. Kenny Clark made no impact, chalk that up to an injury hopefully as we definitely needed help on the D line today, he was credited with 1 assist.

It's very early but this class has a lot of room to grow from week 1.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well week one in the books, rookie impressions week one were mixed. Martinez was the only rookie to make a serious impact week 1 with 5 solos. Kenny Clark made no impact, chalk that up to an injury hopefully as we definitely needed help on the D line today, he was credited with 1 assist.

It's very early but this class has a lot of room to grow from week 1.

Well, Martinez was the only rookie to play at least 10 snaps and it was pretty obvious entering the season that he will be the rookie having the most impact this year.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't rule out Kenny Clark yet. The Packers really need him to step up. The other d linemen will wear down over a long season if Clark doesn't contribute and get his share of plays. While I think Martinez is on a good track, it doesn't mean that Clark's role may be even more important.

D

Deleted member 6794

I wouldn't rule out Kenny Clark yet. The Packers really need him to step up. The other d linemen will wear down over a long season if Clark doesn't contribute and get his share of plays. While I think Martinez is on a good track, it doesn't mean that Clark's role may be even more important.

With Pennel returning after four games it's probable Clark will end up at best fourth on the depth chart on the defensive line. Martinez on the other hand is setting up the defense receiving the calls from Capers.

Currently there shouldn't be any doubt about who is more important to the team's success.