Have any of our rookies been standing out so far?

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think it will take much to beat those guys out for a roster spot, but they could just as easily decide what they've seen from Martinez isn't up to snuff yet and he could go back to 4 th on the depth chart.
I understand what you're trying to say but if that's the case of evaluating just to evaluate why put Martinez in first team def and not do like a mix of subpackages? I think it says a lot about how much the coaches believe in Martinez and shows how much the other linebackers needs to do to climb the ladder.

D

Deleted member 6794

I understand what you're trying to say but if that's the case of evaluating just to evaluate why put Martinez in first team def and not do like a mix of subpackages? I think it says a lot about how much the coaches believe in Martinez and shows how much the other linebackers needs to do to climb the ladder.

Martinez is practicing with the first defense in two inside linebacker sets because Barrington currently isn't able to participate. The most promising sign in my opinion is that he has mostly lined up as the lone LB in the dime package with the starters during minicamp.

With the Packers counting on Martinez to play significant snaps during the season it's not surprising and was to be expected that he has passed Thomas and Bradford on the depth chart by now.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he's going to be good for us in time. I don't think they need to wait to see him in sub packages this time of year. It's not as if they have 5 guys vying for one position and each of them have a lot of potential, but not much experience. I also think they stuck him out there with the 1's because they believe in his ability, and they were excited to get him out there and see how he responded. But, there was also nobody else at the time to really legitimately share snaps with. the 2 other guys have had training camps, years worth of OTA's, real game tape, etc to seize the opportunity. They didn't. and Barrington is injured. He'll be worked back once he's cleared to be worked back. He could easily get inserted #1 they day he gets clearance, though my hope is Martinez is making the decision difficult for when that day arrives.

I think the kid is going to be fine too, so it's not like I want to take the position that it means nothing and he's just lucky or something. But with no games scheduled for months, no real contenders at the position taking part in practice, and no pads, it's all just hope on my part. Much like i felt after the draft :) until camp, and pads and some games happen, a lot could change from what they put out in practice this time of year.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Glad to hear good things about Brice. He's a guy I had an eye on before the draft. Didn't know we had him.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was expecting to hear something about Makinton Dorleant but he hasn't made a splash yet. Lets hope to hear more names once the pads are on!

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...But this whole draft class reminds me of Micah Hyde's and Mike Daniels's. Just guys that are football players and I can't wait to see them.

Dear God I hope not, that class was pretty bad. I'm hoping for a repeat of 14 or 15 with this group.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dear God I hope not, that class was pretty bad. I'm hoping for a repeat of 14 or 15 with this group.
i didn't say that class, i said specifically Micah Hyde and Mike Daniels. These guys seem to have those attributes, specific to their position of course, but they all just seem like put your nose in the book, your body in the gym and play football on the field type guys. Just play football. I like those kinds of guys. i think they do well for our team.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a rookie but McCarren tagged Gunter as the standout of mini-camp. Kid might turn into a pretty good nickel back for us.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i didn't say that class, i said specifically Micah Hyde and Mike Daniels. These guys seem to have those attributes, specific to their position of course, but they all just seem like put your nose in the book, your body in the gym and play football on the field type guys. Just play football. I like those kinds of guys. i think they do well for our team.
I understood what you meant and agree completely. A lot of the new guys seem to have the old "lunchpail" mentality and I love that. History has shown that really good teams are typically loaded up with these type guys. I have a really good feeling about this new group and the team as a whole. I have been pretty excited in seasons past because there is always a good amount of talent there and we always have an elite QB at the helm. This season I am getting the vibe this team is not only really talented but has the right mindset to help turn that talent into hardware. You can never have enough "football guys" on your team and it appears this team has plenty of them! Exciting things ahead! Go Pack Go!

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a rookie but McCarren tagged Gunter as the standout of mini-camp. Kid might turn into a pretty good nickel back for us.

I like Gunter but his ceiling is Dime back untill we let Shields go as he's not passing Rollins on the depth chart

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gunter is another of those guys in Green Bay who's been here 2 or 3 years, gets talked up a lot, but still hasn't done a damn thing.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Gunter is another of those guys in Green Bay who's been here 2 or 3 years, gets talked up a lot, but still hasn't done a damn thing.
Not much chatter when you are a UDFA rookie just making the roster and trying to be on the active roster every week. This is his 2nd season coming up. He's likely the 4th CB on the depth chart. During OTA's, with Rollins out with the broken finger, Gunter has played outside opposite Shields in the nickel def. Decent position for someone that "gets talked up a lot, but still hasn't done a damn thing."

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's still hasn't done a damn thing, Poppa, like the word 'potential'. We'll see.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
It's still hasn't done a damn thing, Poppa, like the word 'potential'. We'll see.
Color me silly but when I see "hasn't done a damn thing" I usually read it as a complaint about the player being a roster spot wasted. Potential and lack of opportunity as in this case is not reflected in "hasn't done a damn thing." Hundley "hasn't done a damn thing" and Jordy last season "didn't do a damn thing." See the difference?

D

Deleted member 6794

Gunter was an undrafted free agent in 2015, so even making the Packers roster last season was an accomplishment. In addition he contributed to the playoff win at Washington, playing 31 snaps on defense. I'm fine with him being fourth or fifth on the cornerback depth chart.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Glad to see all the feedback. Look, I hope Gunter turns out well for us. My point(s) on this thread, regarding Gunter, is many here have pointed out how limited he is in coverages. We see more than enough guys with "potential" on this team- potential again being a nice way of saying a guy hasn't done anything yet- who basically take up a roster space for 2 or 3 years and quietly disappear. Less 'potential', more players please.

D

Deleted member 6794

Look, I hope Gunter turns out well for us. My point(s) on this thread, regarding Gunter, is many here have pointed out how limited he is in coverages.

The Packers should for sure not use Gunter to cover the opponent's deep threat but he could turn into a productive cornerback lining up against possession receivers.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was hoping we'd target Brice late...I like him...hope he makes PS at worst case...we shall see.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not much chatter when you are a UDFA rookie just making the roster and trying to be on the active roster every week. This is his 2nd season coming up. He's likely the 4th CB on the depth chart. During OTA's, with Rollins out with the broken finger, Gunter has played outside opposite Shields in the nickel def. Decent position for someone that "gets talked up a lot, but still hasn't done a damn thing."

Again, what has he done? You know, on the field when it counts. OTA's? Come on Poppa. I'm seeing a lot of 'disagrees', but nothing on what he's done. Again, hope he turns out okay, but to me, seems too limited to amount to much.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts