Have any of our rookies been standing out so far?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
As much as I would have loved to see Clark play like a Pro Bowler yesterday, I think getting too excited about grading him out as a bust or a boom first round pick is way too premature.

Speaking of rookies, where was Myles Jack yesterday? I was at a party and wasn't able to watch the game as closely as I usually do, but I don't remember seeing him or hearing his name called. Did he play?

D

Deleted member 6794

As much as I would have loved to see Clark play like a Pro Bowler yesterday, I think getting too excited about grading him out as a bust or a boom first round pick is way too premature.

Speaking of rookies, where was Myles Jack yesterday? I was at a party and wasn't able to watch the game as closely as I usually do, but I don't remember seeing him or hearing his name called. Did he play?

While I agree that it's premature to evaluate Clark at this point the Packers for sure didn't plan on starting Datone Jones when the team spent a first rounder on the UCLA prospect.

BTW Jack, for whatever reason, didn't play a single snap yeaterday.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
While I agree that it's premature to evaluate Clark at this point the Packers for sure didn't plan on starting Datone Jones when the team spent a first rounder on the UCLA prospect.

BTW Jack, for whatever reason, didn't play a single snap yeaterday.

While I didn't watch the Jags preseason, from what I read, Jack was playing really well. Hope he isn't having any issues with the knee.

I wasn't a big fan of the Clark pick, but his back did slow him down during camp and once he is healthy, I can only hope he turns into a BJ Raji type pick and not another first rounder that doesn't live up to being one.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Martinez was solid I thought. Not awesome, but solid. I thought he played a good game.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Fowler, the highly touted 2nd year player for Jacksonville, didn't even get a single pressure. The D-Line is a tough adjustment going into the NFL.

Sky King

Reaction score
Big guys may not be all that difficult to find but good big guys sure must be, especially when they're fresh out of college. And that's not just a Packers phenomenon. Sometimes draft and develop may not get them to where the team needs 'em to be, at least not anytime soon. We've seen our share of those forgettable interior linemen eventually get jettisoned over the years. Chronically picking at the end of the first round has not helped the cause one bit, and even some of those marquee draft picks don't pan out either.

Scouting, patience and luck are the viable alternatives unless one prefers to see the team string together several losing seasons just to get a crack at better draft choices. Then again, that formula didn't work out so well for the 20+ years following the glory years. Personally, I'm just going to be patient waiting for Clark, et. al., to (hopefully) get them better with coaching and experience.

D

Deleted member 6794

Big guys may not be all that difficult to find but good big guys sure must be, especially when they're fresh out of college. And that's not just a Packers phenomenon. Sometimes draft and develop may not get them to where the team needs 'em to be, at least not anytime soon. We've seen our share of those forgettable interior linemen eventually get jettisoned over the years. Chronically picking at the end of the first round has not helped the cause one bit, and even some of those marquee draft picks don't pan out either.

Scouting, patience and luck are the viable alternatives unless one prefers to see the team string together several losing seasons just to get a crack at better draft choices. Then again, that formula didn't work out so well for the 20+ years following the glory years. Personally, I'm just going to be patient waiting for Clark, et. al., to (hopefully) get them better with coaching and experience.

I would be fine with developing Clark slowly if the Packers had more depth on the defensive line. Unfortunately the front office was aware before the start of free agency that without signing a veteran a rookie would have to start in week 1.

The team benefitted from the Jaguars not using a lot of power sets, using three defensive linemen only on a total of three snaps. That might have to change against the Vikings and Clark will have to perform on a decent level to contain Peterson.