Have any of our rookies been standing out so far?

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What have you all heard about our rookies? Any of them looking really good so far?

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Martinez was in on passing plays as coverage ilb. If he can be solid at that spot it will be big for the defense.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has he looked good?

He's been the number one guy at one of the ILB spots since day 1 according to Larry McCarren. McCarren didn't make any judgements about how good he has looked though.

Not much can be taken from these practices anyway without hitting.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand it's a very slow part to the season but can we really put any stock into what's happening during a June non padded practice?

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really hoping that these OTA's show the young guys what they DON'T KNOW and rather than working on their tan for the next 6 weeks put some serious study-time into the playbook. Late July will come soon & will be physically taxing, so hopefully they get a jump on the mental aspect and at least know formations & terminology necessary.

D

Deleted member 6794

He's been the number one guy at one of the ILB spots since day 1 according to Larry McCarren. McCarren didn't make any judgements about how good he has looked though.

With Barrington still not able to practice it's not surprising Martinez has been getting playing time with the starters.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand it's a very slow part to the season but can we really put any stock into what's happening during a June non padded practice?

Some players can still "jump out at you" during this time of year though. Hence this thread.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-p...rookie-blake-martinez-off-to-impressive-start

Martinez has been practicing with the No.1 Defense throughout OTAs. Some great praise from veterans and coaches. Smart kid. "He’s coming along... Obviously, there’s going to be some learning along the way. But he’s proven that for the most part he’s making the right calls and signals. I think it’s a good thing for him.”

Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-p...rookie-blake-martinez-off-to-impressive-start

Martinez has been practicing with the No.1 Defense throughout OTAs. Some great praise from veterans and coaches. Smart kid. "He’s coming along... Obviously, there’s going to be some learning along the way. But he’s proven that for the most part he’s making the right calls and signals. I think it’s a good thing for him.”
I know! this is promising news. If there's any position where we want rookies to excel quickly, I think most would agree it's at ILB

D

Deleted member 6794

It's promising what veterans and coaches have said about Martinez so far. With Barrington being unable to practice this offseason it's not surprising he has lined up with the #1 defense during OTAs though.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's promising what veterans and coaches have said about Martinez so far. With Barrington being unable to practice this offseason it's not surprising he has lined up with the #1 defense during OTAs though.

Yeah this is one where I don't want to get to excited until he starts performing well in the regular season. It is a perfect storm for me to want to buy into hype.
1. A guy I liked in the draft due to value - seemed like a potential steal with production in college and where he was picked
2. A guy who is easy to like as a player - studies the game, works incredibly hard
3. A guy who could fill our biggest current need this season. Coverage ilb.
4. A guy who could help fill a need we have had for a long time. He and Ryan becoming our starters for the next few years

D

Deleted member 6794

A guy I liked in the draft due to value - seemed like a potential steal with production in college and where he was picked

Martinez will hopefully turn into a decent coverage linebacker presenting a much needed upgrade for the Packers defense. It´s possible he had more value to the Packers than a lot of teams in the fourth round as he took a step back defending the run last season resulting in him possibly not playing a whole lot in two inside linebacker sets.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Barrington still out, what's the hurt in putting him on 1st team everything this time of year? I hope he's better than anybody we've had, I really do. I think he's a football player thru and thru, and in time will be just fine, but lets not get ahead of ourselves and read too much into this. There is zero danger in playing him with the 1st team this time of year, they dont' have a game on the schedule for months and even those won't mean anything much in terms of wins and losses. It could be nothing more than, we really have nobody else that's going to push for that starting position, so let's see what the kid has and can handle.

I have to say though, I'm kind of glad we got the HOF game this year. I really want to watch these young guys play their way into meaningful snaps or starting roles on this team. I used to cringe at the preseason, now i find quite a bit of enjoyment these past 10 years or so when I use it to just watch individual players and not try and base any sort of judgement on the team's performance. But this whole draft class reminds me of Micah Hyde's and Mike Daniels's. Just guys that are football players and I can't wait to see them.

D

Deleted member 6794

I have to say though, I'm kind of glad we got the HOF game this year. I really want to watch these young guys play their way into meaningful snaps or starting roles on this team. I used to cringe at the preseason, now i find quite a bit of enjoyment these past 10 years or so when I use it to just watch individual players and not try and base any sort of judgement on the team's performance.

I truly believe four preseason games are more than enough to evaluate individual players and there´s no need for another one.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It probably is, maybe saying, I'm not really upset I get to see them in action a week earlier than normal this year.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Barrington still out, what's the hurt in putting him on 1st team everything this time of year? I hope he's better than anybody we've had, I really do. I think he's a football player thru and thru, and in time will be just fine, but lets not get ahead of ourselves and read too much into this. There is zero danger in playing him with the 1st team this time of year, they dont' have a game on the schedule for months and even those won't mean anything much in terms of wins and losses. It could be nothing more than, we really have nobody else that's going to push for that starting position, so let's see what the kid has and can handle.
True we have nothing to lose BUT this also says alot about what our coaches and veteran players think of the other middle linebackers (bradford, Thomas).

D

Deleted member 6794

True we have nothing to lose BUT this also says alot about what our coaches and veteran players think of the other middle linebackers (bradford, Thomas).

That's true but not surprising after Thomas struggled last season and Bradford still hasn't played a single snap in two years with the team.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think it will take much to beat those guys out for a roster spot, but they could just as easily decide what they've seen from Martinez isn't up to snuff yet and he could go back to 4 th on the depth chart. They have a season of experience with what those guys can do in the defense. They have none with Martinez yet and knowing we need to upgrade that level of play, there's no time like the present to see what the kid has.

Members online

Latest posts