1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Gurley to Vikings

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by GreenBlood, Sep 2, 2012.

1. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    Damnit. I hate developing talented young players for those bastards.

2. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,226
    Vikings: Brent, Sharper, Longwell
    Packers: Gilbert Brown

Packers = win

3. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    Meh, no big deal to me. He had multiple opportunities to stand out here and earn that 6th spot, but he failed to do so. Minnesota can have him. Meanwhile, we have a promising young guy in Boykin and we kept Borel on our practice squad.

4. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    I would have rather kept Gurley. He was solid in practice. In games, he can't throw the ball to himself. He had the highest special teams value of the three, including a knack for blocking punts. Is Boykin a viable contributor on ST?

5. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    I have no idea if Boykin is a viable contributor on special teams or not, but my guess is he is. He has to be, otherwise we wouldn't have kept him on our roster. In order to make the 53 man active roster as the 6th receiver, you usually have to be able to play special teams.

As for practice, from what I've read, Boykin was a genuine standout in training camp, whereas Gurley was mostly under-whelming.

6. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    Still, I have to believe our ST would have been better helped with TG. Oh well.

7. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,484
    • Agree Agree x 3
  8. Croak

Croak Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,987
    Poor guy. His mind's been bent by the dark side....

9. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    I'll laugh when by the end of the season he is their #2

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    Here's the thing- We are loaded at the position, so much so that our most veteran player would be a number three, at least, on most other rosters. For Boykin to make this roster tells me all I need to know about his talent and potential.

I look at receivers the same way I look at running backs. Mostly it's a fungible position in that there are lots of talented guys out there to choose from. This is one position we can afford to take a draft and develop position with.

11. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,631
    I was more intrigued by the number of ex-Packers playing in Seattle's last preseason game. 7 or 8 I think.

12. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,312
    Gurley is going from a Championship contender to a doormat. I like Boykin and his 10 and 1/2 inch hands. His hands are nearly as long as the football, and will completely surround the football at mid-circumference. He catches everything within reach, which is more important than blazing speed, imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Einstein McFly

Einstein McFly Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +267
    Meh. We got a really good look at him and he wasn't good enough to be on our team. They can have him. The only thing that bugs me is the thought of them getting some advantage from him knowing our playbook, and considering how much turnover there is in the league I doubt it's that big of a deal.

14. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,747
    I HOPE Gurley moves up to MIN's #2. Good for him, but more importantly, good for us. ;)

15. Jordyruns

Jordyruns Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +175
    Doubt he passes Simpson for that second position, I hate the guy but he is beyond a freak explosively.

16. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,747
    The winky-face was supposed to indicate sarcasm. Oh well. The point being, if Gurley is MIN's #2 they will be in a lot worse shape than everybody thinks, which would equate to "really, really bad".

17. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,456
    I wish him well over there in Minn., but i hope this does not bite us in the a$$.

18. VolvoD

VolvoD Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +653
    wow, the vikings grabbing a YOUNG packers player? you would have think they would've grabbed him 15 years from now.

19. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    Is the 6th WR going to be active on game day if 1-5 are healthy? If not, it doesn’t matter how good a STer he is. One of the arguments against retaining Driver was he will be active on game days and in spite of not starting, (as far as I know) he won't play STs. That's unusual for the 4th or 5th WR.

Gurley had every opportunity to win a spot this year and he didn't do it. Another UDFA - in his first season with the Packers - beat him out of the spot. The Vikings got at best the Packers #7 WR.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    That's the way I see it. :tup:

And like you I continue to question the Driver situation.

21. Powarun

Powarun Big Bay Blues fan

Ratings:
    +420
    Color me not surprised. The Vikings went after Gurley last year, and he took a higher pay to be on the Packers. Can't really blame Gurley he tried and he couldn't get on the team, and though he may not win any championships immediately with some playing time he could end up on a great team through a trade down the years.

22. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,992
    There is no more true statement than this. When you are undrafted or in one of the last rounds, you have a year at best to prove that you belong and are improving. If you've maxed out your talent at barely a practice squad level, then you're a bust. They move on to the next guy (like Boykin) to see if he can progress into next year's camp. If not then they move on to the next guy.