First Players Who Must Be Shown The Door At The End Of The Season

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mathews has to go. He's done. Never healthy and getting lazy IMO. I've always liked Jordy. I wonder if he's been hurting more than he shows, again. Cobb is still valuable IMO. It's obvious the receiving corps is tired of running their butts off on routes and having balls 10 yards away from them. Hundley is a dud, period. McCarthy is a dud for believing in him.

I didn't watch any of the game but I watched one replay. The incompletion to Michael Clark in the end zone on 4th down. First it's clearly pass interference. Second hundley threw a perfect ball and Clark should of caught it despite the interference it went right threw his hands. Hundley isn't great but he seems to better than what a decent number of teams have as their starter.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hundley isn't great but he seems to better than what a decent number of teams have as their starter.

Close to all starting quarterbacks in the league are better than Hundley. The Browns might be the only exception.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Close to all starting quarterbacks in the league are better than Hundley. The Browns might be the only exception.

The browns (kizer) the bears (trubosly) the broncos (ofweiler) the Cardinals (Stanton) the Texans (Savage) the Jets (petty) the bills (Taylor) the jaguars (bottles) the dolphins (Cutler). Then if you take money into account I'd rather have hundley than Joe flacco, jamis Winston, or Eli Manning.

Also a note in this game the Green Bay receivers were credited with 7 drops. Add the one to Clark in end zone even though he didn't technical drop it cuz it went through his hands without him even touching it. That makes hundley 25/40 250 yards with 1 td and 2 int. Still not great but much better

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

The browns (kizer) the bears (trubosly) the broncos (ofweiler) the Cardinals (Stanton) the Texans (Savage) the Jets (petty) the bills (Taylor) the jaguars (bottles) the dolphins (Cutler). Then if you take money into account I'd rather have hundley than Joe flacco, jamis Winston, or Eli Manning.

You might be right about the Broncos but every other team in the league has a better starting quarterback than Hundley. I'm actually including the ones currently on injured reserve as all of them will be healthy once teams will make a decision on either trading for or signing Hundley.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You might be right about the Broncos but every other team in the league has a better starting quarterback than Hundley. I'm actually including the ones currently on injured reserve as all of them will be healthy once teams will make a decision on either trading for or signing Hundley.

Texans have Watson and dolphins have tannahill but other than that who is on ir? Carson Palmer? Yeah he's better but he's 38 years old coming off a broken arm. He may retire. And tnnahil falls into the 20 million for him or a whole lot less for hundley catagory I'll take hundley. Cuz tannahill ain't winning you any games he's a Joe flacco. I'd rather spend money on defense than waste 20 million on a quaterback who isn't a game changer.

D

Deleted member 6794

Texans have Watson and dolphins have tannahill but other than that who is on ir? Carson Palmer? Yeah he's better but he's 38 years old coming off a broken arm. He may retire. And tnnahil falls into the 20 million for him or a whole lot less for hundley catagory I'll take hundley. Cuz tannahill ain't winning you any games he's a Joe flacco. I'd rather spend money on defense than waste 20 million on a quaterback who isn't a game changer.

I agree that there are a lot of overpaid quarterbacks in the league but they still perform at a better level than Hundley.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you mean Hundley (and most QB's) playing in a Rodgers-based scheme, then I agree. Hundley can be an NFL-caliber QB but he doesn't fit McCarthy's scheme at all. Put Hundley on a team that has a coach that will play to his strengths and a GM who will surround Hundley with players that will allow the offensive scheme to perform at maximum efficiency, and Hundley could easily be a top-10 QB. (The same could be said for most QB's though...and that's the issue. The lack of overall chemistry is a lost art in modern-day football)

D

Deleted member 6794

If you mean Hundley (and most QB's) playing in a Rodgers-based scheme, then I agree. Hundley can be an NFL-caliber QB but he doesn't fit McCarthy's scheme at all. Put Hundley on a team that has a coach that will play to his strengths and a GM who will surround Hundley with players that will allow the offensive scheme to perform at maximum efficiency, and Hundley could easily be a top-10 QB. (The same could be said for most QB's though...and that's the issue. The lack of overall chemistry is a lost art in modern-day football)

I highly doubt that Hundley is capable of developing into a top 10 quarterback in the NFL, no matter which scheme he's been put into.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Top 10 as in (Rodgers aside) matching numbers with Ben Rothlisberger, Matt Ryan, Alex Smith, Drew Brees, Matthew Stafford, Jared Goff or Derek Carr? I say no.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You stated he didn't win three games. I pointed out you were wrong. Now you moved the goalposts to who was beaten. Unlike college ball quality of win or loss does not affect the playoff seeding. The Steeler's loss to Chicago did as much to hurt their shot at HFA as did their loss to NE.

Poppa San you were right. I was wrong. I did "move the goalposts". I'm gonna go drink some eggnog and dig the coal from my stockings, I've been very bad. Lol.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I certainly hope we got a speedy TE on the market in this draft because we must have a compliment to RR who will make up for what that worthless Bennett didn't do.

I think GB should take a look at Trey Burton from the Eagles. He has been great when Ertz hasn't played. Big, physical, and runs great routes. He could be a No. 1 TE, and at worst a 3rd option in the GB passing game.

D

Deleted member 6794

That's why Hundley is a backup. Besides, the Cleveland Browns are a perpetual expansion team.

While there's some truth to that I replied to another post suggesting that Hundley is better than several starters in the league.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While there's some truth to that I replied to another post suggesting that Hundley is better than several starters in the league.

I saw those posts Captain, I wasn't going to respond to such mularky ("Mike Mularkey" as I like to call it). Hundley is a back-up, this season showed he is a good back-up, unfortunately nothing more. I hope GB keeps him, the kid keeps developing and next time his number is called, he performs at a high level. However, I hope its during a GB blowout of another team; or GB has locked up the No. 1 seed in Week 15.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy should be encouraged to retire, and CM3 and Cobb should take pay cuts.

We're spending a ton of money at WR, and we haven't resigned Adams yet. That will have to change.

Cutting HaHa makes no sense.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We're spending a ton of money at WR, and we haven't resigned Adams yet. That will have to change.

Nelson should consider retirement if he doesn't move into the slot, where he would perform better. I didn't consider Cobb taking a pay cut. I think Cobb could get back a 3/4 rounder from the right team (49ers?). Ha Ha is very good. It could be a number of things (injury, off field issue, different role) that is contributing to Ha Ha's inconsistent production this year. However, cutting him is asinine. Trading him doesn't make sense either. He's still on his rookie deal.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you don't Cut Dix unless you're a Bobbit.

But anyway, he's had a disappointing season, and I probably over play it because of all the hype he was getting before. But he's played better and can. I don't think he's one to quit either, so I think he will get better in the grand scheme of things. The money at WR does need to be addressed.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two different lists.

Guys who should be cut because they aren't worth the money
Clay
Cobb or Nelson

Guys who should be cut or replaced because they are not good
Fackrell
Janis
All our TEs
Dlinemen not named Lowry, Clark and Daniels
House

Reaction score
I think one of the biggest mistakes we just made was letting too many players walk in FA. There should be normal Churn Rate on every team but this year us allowing a half dozen+ veterans walking without a clear cut strategy is perplexing. Then watching them go to other teams and get selected to the Probowl or recording double digit sacks and leading their respective teams into the playoffs furthers the argument that their talent was being misused.

There may be certain exceptions to that (like if we’re majorly revamping Defensive schemes).
Cutting all these players either displays poor negotiating, letting our pride get the best of us, an admission of our failure to draft talent at a reasonable level, failure to restructure contracts within the normal cap limits, A false assumption of our ability to replace said player talent level lost or a combination thereof.

I think it would be a big mistake to clean house like some posters in here demand. We can’t have 2 years in a row of that mindset or we can expect to take 2 steps back to rebuild.

We need to focus on our greatest need not start from scratch IMO.

While Jeff Janis might be controversial and be the scapegoat for some frustration, it’s irrelevant, his impact as a #6 Wideout is not necessarily game changing one way or another. This mindset is similar to taking a hard golf swing and taking our eye off the ball which more often leads to topping the ball while trying to crush it down the fairway. A steady, controlled swing and focused concentration will more often lead to better long term results.

The biggest players we need to be concerned with are those who’s salary Cap vs production has the greatest spread. Conversely, Guys like Fackrell will become a product of the competition in their environment so they take care of themselves.

My concern is over $20,000,000 in Cap savings.
CM3 on Defense and
Jordy Nelson on Offense.

While many of us still have an emotional attachment to them, both players are in their twilight years and are arguably on the decline. Neither have earned their contract or even close to it as of late. In the business world it’s “what have you done lately” and this is clearly a business decision.

Let’s get an OLB or WR 1-2 in the 2018 draft. I’m confident that Aaron Rodgers can take a top 40 pick at WR and single handily turn him into a 1,000 yard Receiver (think Brandon Cooks). I’d like us to pick the best available of those 2 with our 1st pick and second picks while using a combination of comp picks as leverage to move earlier into either round if needed.
We then need to use some of that savings to acquire a couple FA veterans that will allow time for the rookies to gain momentum and prevent a dropoff in production when injury occurs (and it will) and the remainder towards resigning returning players.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I didn't consider Cobb taking a pay cut. I think Cobb could get back a 3/4 rounder from the right team (49ers?).

There's absolutely no chance of another team trading a mid round pick for Cobb with him being set to make $9 million next season.

Guys who should be cut or replaced because they are not good
All our TEs

I'm fine with Rodgers being the #2 tight end on the roster.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think one of the biggest mistakes we just made was letting too many players walk in FA.
I agree with this. One of the key points of the Draft and Develop strategy was we were supposed to resign our best players. But Ted has let too many of them walk out the door.

hasamikun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think, that the Packers shoudl get rid of some always-injured players like Bulaga, who is a nice player but is often injured and takes around 8 million in cap next year. Then Demitri Goodson, I dont know why he is still with the team anyways, Rollins, how showed nothing outside from his rookie season and House is an UFA this offeseason and there is no need to resign him.

Janis deserves a resign because he is a damn good special teamer and this unit kind of sucks. So we need every good man we can. He may have no value as a WR, but that doesnt matter. Davis had some good returns, but fails more return than he has good ones. He is worth a cut, if the Packers find an alternative.

The biggest thing this offeseason may be the possible restructure of soem huge contracts:
Both Jordy and Cobb have a 12 million cap hit in 2018. I think, we should try to restructure Jordys and get him a performance based contract. He is clearly declining, but he has the special connection with AR, so he still can deliver. Get Jordy in the slot and you can cut Cobb. Get Tae a big contract, draft a WR in the 2nd round and we should be fine at WR.

The thing I wrote about Jordy fits to CM3 perfectly. Get him a performance - based contract.

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think one of the biggest mistakes we just made was letting too many players walk in FA. There should be normal Churn Rate on every team but this year us allowing a half dozen+ veterans walking without a clear cut strategy is perplexing. Then watching them go to other teams and get selected to the Probowl or recording double digit sacks and leading their respective teams into the playoffs furthers the argument that their talent was being misused.

There may be certain exceptions to that (like if we’re majorly revamping Defensive schemes).
Cutting all these players either displays poor negotiating, letting our pride get the best of us, an admission of our failure to draft talent at a reasonable level, failure to restructure contracts within the normal cap limits, A false assumption of our ability to replace said player talent level lost or a combination thereof.

I think it would be a big mistake to clean house like some posters in here demand. We can’t have 2 years in a row of that mindset or we can expect to take 2 steps back to rebuild.

We need to focus on our greatest need not start from scratch IMO.

While Jeff Janis might be controversial and be the scapegoat for some frustration, it’s irrelevant, his impact as a #6 Wideout is not necessarily game changing one way or another. This mindset is similar to taking a hard golf swing and taking our eye off the ball which more often leads to topping the ball while trying to crush it down the fairway. A steady, controlled swing and focused concentration will more often lead to better long term results.

The biggest players we need to be concerned with are those who’s salary Cap vs production has the greatest spread. Conversely, Guys like Fackrell will become a product of the competition in their environment so they take care of themselves.

My concern is over $20,000,000 in Cap savings.
CM3 on Defense and
Jordy Nelson on Offense.

While many of us still have an emotional attachment to them, both players are in their twilight years and are arguably on the decline. Neither have earned their contract or even close to it as of late. In the business world it’s “what have you done lately” and this is clearly a business decision.

Let’s get an OLB or WR 1-2 in the 2018 draft. I’m confident that Aaron Rodgers can take a top 40 pick at WR and single handily turn him into a 1,000 yard Receiver (think Brandon Cooks). I’d like us to pick the best available of those 2 with our 1st pick and second picks while using a combination of comp picks as leverage to move earlier into either round if needed.
We then need to use some of that savings to acquire a couple FA veterans that will allow time for the rookies to gain momentum and prevent a dropoff in production when injury occurs (and it will) and the remainder towards resigning returning players.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Jordy still has value if Rodgers is the quarterback, their mind meld makes Nelson a very good possession receiver and his numbers before Rodgers injury support this. I think that all three players should take pay cuts.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy still has value if Rodgers is the quarterback, their mind meld makes Nelson a very good possession receiver and his numbers before Rodgers injury support this. I think that all three players should take pay cuts.

Jordy is going to be what, 33-34 next year? He's lost it, and he either takes a massive pay cut or he retires. He's not very good anymore.

Cobb was just a bad contract, and should get a massive pay cut. Not sure I want to trade him, don't really think there's much of a market for an almost 30 WR who is injury prone and is losing quick was.

CM3 is like the others, injury prone and slowing down. He's still good, but his contract is too high. I imagine all 3 will try to help out the team.

Members online

Latest posts