2017 Packers 53-Man Roster (Play GM)

D

Deleted member 6794

Do you assume I get my info only from the beat writers? That is what you implied.

Well, as it seems that you base your evaluation solely on information from training camp practices wherefrom do you get that information aside of beat writers???

I hope there isn't a need to carry a 3rd QB on the 53. When you have AR and Hundley, that should be enough. Only reason the Packers should carry a 3rd is if they really like him, see him as the heir apparent to Hundley and don't want to lose him to another team. Otherwise, no sense wasting a roster spot on a guy who will be inactive every game and get no more reps then a practice squad player.

While I agree with your take it seems McCarthy really liked Callahan last season and according to reports was extremely pissed when the Saints picked him off waivers once the Packers tried to stash him on the practice squad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
While I agree with your take it seems McCarthy really liked Callahan last season and according to reports was extremely pissed when the Saints picked him off waivers once the Packers tried to stash him on the practice squad.

To be fair, last year the decision to carry Callahan on the 53 was also tied to the injury status of Hundley starting the season. Not a good reason for keeping him as long as they did on the 53, but certainly good enough for the initial roster.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair, last year the decision to carry Callahan on the 53 was also tied to the injury status of Hundley starting the season. Not a good reason for keeping him as long as they did on the 53, but certainly good enough for the initial roster.
context is important. Good point. Too many decisions by fans are made with out keeping in mind the context in which they occurred.

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
Well, as it seems that you base your evaluation solely on information from training camp practices wherefrom do you get that information aside of beat writers???

Here's a recent MM quote: “I think you see exactly what you see in college, and that’s what jumps off the video on Josh. He plays with a tenacity. He’s always around the football. He’s very instinctive. Has excellent range. He’s off to a good start.”

No beat writer, just MM unfiltered. That a good enough source for you?

Josh Jones is playing in camp right now exactly the same way he played in college. So, your assertion that there is something on his college tape that only you picked on is laughable.

Stifle your ego and just admit that maybe you aren't smarter and don't have more information than everyone else.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers brought back Callahan late in the season and even promoted him to the active roster some weeks later though.

Josh Jones is playing in camp right now exactly the same way he played in college. So, your assertion that there is something on his college tape that only you picked on is laughable.

I highly doubt Jones is practicing in camp the same way he played in college as he's hardly allowed to tackle anyone.

Once again, here's a link to PFF's scouting report on him, solely evaluating him as a safety though:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-pff-scouting-report-josh-jones-s-nc-state

D

Deleted member 6794

Sure, but that has no bearing in any way on the point I was making...

Well, it doesn't change the fact that the coaching staff really likes Callahan, which is the point I was trying to make. Therefore I believe it's possible the Packers keep three quarterbacks on the 53 once again this season.

Reaction score
Well, it doesn't change the fact that the coaching staff really likes Callahan, which is the point I was trying to make. Therefore I believe it's possible the Packers keep three quarterbacks on the 53 once again this season.
ah, gotcha. Sorry, missed all that in the quote chains.

I don't disagree. I could very easily see them doing that, especially if they want to see some trade action from Hundley early in the season or preseason.

D

Deleted member 6794

I could very easily see them doing that, especially if they want to see some trade action from Hundley early in the season or preseason.

I don't expect the Packers to be interested in trading Hundley before next offseason but consider it a valid reason to keep Callahan on the 53.

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
Here's a recent MM quote: “I think you see exactly what you see in college, and that’s what jumps off the video on Josh. He plays with a tenacity. He’s always around the football. He’s very instinctive. Has excellent range. He’s off to a good start.”

No beat writer, just MM unfiltered. That a good enough source for you?

I highly doubt Jones is practicing in camp the same way he played in college as he's hardly allowed to tackle anyone.

You actually believe that MM, who coaches Josh Jones every day and makes over $5 million/yr. doing it, is wrong about Jones. You, on the other hand know more than even MM and are the true source of knowledge about how Jones is playing because you read a PFF article.

Astonishing. But, I like it, the bigger pride...the bigger the fall.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The Packers brought back Callahan late in the season and even promoted him to the active roster some weeks later though.
IMO they promoted him to the active roster to prevent a QB needy team from grabbing him off the PS to work with him through this off-season. Basically it was a way to guarantee him in GB for another off-season.

D

Deleted member 6794

You actually believe that MM, who coaches Josh Jones every day and makes over $5 million/yr. doing it, is wrong about Jones. You, on the other hand know more than even MM and are the true source of knowledge about how Jones is playing because you read a PFF article.

Geez, I never mentioned anything about having even close to the football knowledge of McCarthy or any other member of the Packers coaching staff or front office. I don't give a rat's *** about what they're saying in a press conference during training camp though.

IMO they promoted him to the active roster to prevent a QB needy team from grabbing him off the PS to work with him through this off-season. Basically it was a way to guarantee him in GB for another off-season.

It's possible that you're accurate about the reasoning behind the Packers promoting Callahan to the active roster late last season. My point being that they wouldn't have made the move if not considering him a potential backup quarterback in this league though.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My prediction:
  • QB: Rodgers, Hundley (2)
  • RB: Montgomery, Williams, Jones (3)
  • FB: Ripkowski, Kerridge (2)
  • TE/FB: Bennett, Kendricks, Rodgers (3)
  • WR: Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Allison, Davis, Dupre, Janis (6)
  • OL: Bakhtiari, Taylor, Linsley, Evans, Bulaga, Spriggs, Murphy, Barclay, Amichia (9)
  • DL: Daniels, Clark, Lowry, Francois, Adams, Price (6)
  • OLB: Matthews, Perry, Elliott, Fackrell, Biegel, Calvin (6)
  • ILB: Martinez, Ryan, Thomas (3)
  • CB: House, Rollins, King, Randall, Gunter, Pipkins (6)
  • S: Clinton-Dix, Burnett, Jones, Brice (4)
  • ST: Crosby, Vogel, Hart (3)
PS: Callahan (QB), Mays (RB), Yancey & McCaffrey (WR), Gary (OL), Lunsford (DT), Heiman (ILB), Waters (CB), Evans (S)

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Qb (2) rodgers, hundley
Rb (3) montgomery, williams, jones
Fb (1) ripkowski
Te (3) bennett, kendricks, rodgers
Wr (7) nelson, adams, cobb, janis, davis, dupre, clark
Ol (9) bahktiari, bulaga, taylor, linsley, evans, barclay, spriggs, murphy, amichia

Defense

FrozenTakesInGB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Today is Game #1, yippee! Just a couple of minor changes from my initial prediction so far.

QB- Aaron Rodgers, Brett Hundley, Joe Callahan
WR- Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Davante Adams, Jeff Janis, Trevor Davis, DeAngelo Yancey, Malachi Dupre
T- Bryan Bulaga, David Bakhtiari, Jason Spriggs, Kyle Murphy
TE- Richard Rodgers, Martellus Bennett, Lance Kendricks
C- Corey Linsley
RB- Ty Montgomery, Jamaal Williams, Aaron Jones
FB- Aaron Ripkowski
G- Don Barclay, Lane Taylor, Jahri Evans

LB- Clay Matthews, Nick Perry, Jake Ryan, Kyler Fackrell, Blake Martinez, Vince Biegel, Jayrone Elliott, Joe Thomas, Johnathan Calvin
S- Morgan Burnett, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Josh Jones, Kentrell Brice
DT- Mike Daniels, Christian Ringo, Kenny Clark, Montravius Adams, Ricky Jean Francois
CB- Demetri Goodson, Damarious Randall, Quinten Rollins, Kevin King, LaDarius Gunter, Davon House
DE- Dean Lowry

K- Mason Crosby
P- Justin Vogel
LS- Derek Hart

Suspended- Geronimo Allison

Chris H

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RB- Ty Montgomery, Jamaal Williams,Aaron Jones, DeAndre Mays
FB- Aaron Ripkowski
WR-Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Davante Adams,Geronimo Allison(suspended),Trevor Davis,Malachi Dupre,Max McCaffery
TE- Martellus Bennett, Lance Kendricks, Richard Rodgers
T- Bryan Bulaga, David Bakhtiari, Jason Spriggs, Kyle Murphy,
G-Don Barclay, Lane Taylor, Jahri Evans
C- Corey Linsley, Kofi Amichia

DL- Kenny Clark, Mike Daniels, Dean Lowry, RJF, Ringo, Adams(PUP)
OLB- Clay Matthews, Nick Perry, Kyler Fackrell, Jayrone Elliott, Vince Biegel
ILB- Jake Ryan, Blake Martinez, Joe Thomas
CB-Kevin King, Damarious Randall, Quinten Rollins, Kevin King, Davon House,Ladrious Gunter
S- Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Morgan Burnett, Josh Jones, Kentrell Brice, Marwin Evans

K-Mason Crosby
P- Justin Vogel
LS- Brett Goode

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Montgomery is a matchip problem for other teams I like him. But he is not any every down RB. By mid season, either Williams or Aaron Jones will be getting the bulk of the carries.

There should be one shocking cut. Cobb, Jean-Francois, CM3, Hundley? There is always one.
Who plays the slot better than Cobb if he is cut. Cutting CM3 would be insane if he is healthy. Who backs up Rodgers if Hundley is cut. I haven't seen anyone better than Hundley up to this point.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Today is Game #1, yippee! Just a couple of minor changes from my initial prediction so far.

WR- Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Davante Adams, Jeff Janis, Trevor Davis, DeAngelo Yancey, Malachi Dupre
T- Bryan Bulaga, David Bakhtiari, Jason Spriggs, Kyle Murphy
TE- Richard Rodgers, Martellus Bennett, Lance Kendricks
C- Corey Linsley
RB- Ty Montgomery, Jamaal Williams, Aaron Jones
FB- Aaron Ripkowski
G- Don Barclay, Lane Taylor, Jahri Evans

LB- Clay Matthews, Nick Perry, Jake Ryan, Kyler Fackrell, Blake Martinez, Vince Biegel, Jayrone Elliott, Joe Thomas, Johnathan Calvin
S- Morgan Burnett, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Josh Jones, Kentrell Brice
DT- Mike Daniels, Christian Ringo, Kenny Clark, Montravius Adams, Ricky Jean Francois
CB- Demetri Goodson, Damarious Randall, Quinten Rollins, Kevin King, LaDarius Gunter, Davon House
DE- Dean Lowry

K- Mason Crosby
P- Justin Vogel
LS- Derek Hart

Suspended- Geronimo Allison
I would cut Geronimo. I would also keep M. Clark over Dupre. Clark has so much upside it is scary.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was thinking about this today. I think that if Yancey and some of the other rookie WR have a good showing then Allison is expendable. He suspended for the 1st game, but wasn't he called upon out of necessity last year? I think if the rookies can continue to grow then he might be gone. JMO.

Sky King

Reaction score
I was thinking about this today. I think that if Yancey and some of the other rookie WR have a good showing then Allison is expendable. He suspended for the 1st game, but wasn't he called upon out of necessity last year? I think if the rookies can continue to grow then he might be gone. JMO.
If Yancey can play STs better than Allison and he can ad lib with some effectiveness when the QB scrambles, then I like his chances to usurp Allison on the 53. Yancey seems the much better deep threat of the two already. He has a knack for it going back to college. If Allison is no better on the ST coverage teams than he was on the long KO that was called back against the Eagles, he's definitely at risk of making the roster. One-trick (UDFA) ponies will always be available. Barring injury before the season begins, I would place Yancey ahead of Allison even today and by a significant margin.

Plus, if Allison is cut before he serves his one game suspension I have my doubts any team would find him all that attractive as a FA pick-up compared to guys that are already familiar with their respective teams' systems - having been in their camps from OTAs through preseason. Besides there are likely to be several better WRs than Allison that will turn-up on the waiver wire on cut-down day.

Obviously, I'm not as enthralled with Allison as either a short or long-term prospect as some other posters seem to be. He's not special.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mid preseason changes

Offense (25)

Qb (2) Rodgers, Huntley
Ps (1) hill
Hundley looks like he could win an nfl game with the packers weapons. Hill looks like he could be a better version of michael Vick.

Rb (4) Montgomery, ripkowski, Williams, Jones
Ps (1) Mays
None of the rookie have shown much but gotta keep 2 of them.

Te (3) Bennett, Kendricks, Rodgers
Ps (1) cut down addition
Like to see them find someone to groom to take Rodgers spot in 2018.

Wr (7) nelson, Adams, cobb, Janis, davis, yancey, clark
Sp (1) allison
Ps (2) dupre, mcaffery
With Allison suspended, clark makes it as 7tb we then after week one Allison is activated and clark is sent to ps and someone is cut off ps.

Ol (9) baktiari, bulaga, linsley, Taylor, evans, spriggs, Murphy, Patrick, amichia
Ps (1) Geoff grey, cut down addition
Grey looks pretty good just don't think he makes it over the others yet. Barclay could knock out amichia if he is healthy

Defense (25)

S (5) Burnett, Clinton dix, Jones, Brice, evans
This group is all but a lock.

Cb (6) house, king, Rollins, Randall, Hawkins, gunter
Pup (1) goodson
Ps (2) pipkins, Holmes
I think they hold on to the top 6 and see what happens the playing time will sort itself out.

Dl (6) Daniels, clark, Lowry, Adams, Jean Francios, price
Adams injury means price stays at least until Adams comes back.

Olb (5) Perry, Matthews, Elliot, fackrell, Gilbert
Pup (1) biegel
Ps (1) Calvin
Think they play safe with Siegel and hope he comes back fully healthy and gives the defense a mid season boost.

Ilb (3) Ryan, Martinez, Tripp
Kept the more athletic trip over Thomas.

Special teams (3)

K (1) Crosby
P (1) Vogel
Ls (1) goode
Goode takes harts job.