1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Opening an old treasure chest...

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by cheesehurdler, Feb 20, 2011.

1. cheesehurdler

cheesehurdler Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +194
    Sometimes faith is a hard thing to keep.

WARNING: LONG POST

2008 loss to the Saints:

2009 playoff loss:

2009 loss to 0-7 Tampa Bay Bucs

2010 loss to DA BEARS

2010 loss to Detroit

Even simply having faith in Green Bay was a bad thing.

Looking back at these old posts, and seeing how the Packers won the Super Bowl even under the weight of adversity, what do you think?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Powarun

Powarun Big Bay Blues fan

Ratings:
    +420
    First happy that I wasn't mentioned.
    Second your sig needs a to have a pic of the Packers 1929 team,
    Third we get emotional after losses. The year after the 2008 our defense couldn't close games. 2009 we came close, this year WE DID IT! Despite everything. We were Super Bowl favorites from the start of the season and at midseason it seemed that was a fluke.

3. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871
    Sometimes faith is not visible.

This is why you let the season play out and not give up after a loss to the Lions, or losing to the winless Buc's last year. **** happens...

4. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    its entertaining to go back and look at the comments on the players we drafted as well.

This thread might upset some people...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,422
    we always seem to have a midseason slump

6. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,791
    I suppose every treasure chest with gold will have a few tarnished, damaged or scratched pieces.

I dunno why the past is being visited when the Pack are SB champs.
    And haven't there already been threads started similar to this one?

7. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,422
    its the offseason so now the forum is more relaxed and we can talk about whatever

8. Murgen

Murgen MechaPackzilla

Ratings:
    +585
    I was mentioned, still stand behind what I said. Ref in Playoff games don't call nearly are many penalties.

9. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871
    We're Super Bowl Champions now....time to forgive and forget if you can. No more worrying about Ted Thompson, no more wishing of Mike McCarthy to lose his job, no more worrying about Favre, and no more hanging on 6 loses.

Going 10-6 and winning the Super Bowl is enough for me.

Strongly I believe this team showed an effort that the league has not witnessed in decades to go through injury after injury, short loss after short loss and come up with the biggest win of them all.

The 1988 49ers were a team I did a lot of research on a while back, and some how, somewhere this 2010 Packer team reminded me of them.

The 'Niners were injury plagued from '88 and suffered a bunch of losses that they really should have won. Watch America's Game on the 1988 SF team or read up on them, and you may see what I mean. People wanted Walsh fired when he took Montana out of games so he would not get injured, and threw Young in. People thought he was insane with his 80% Pass play calling (I think EVERYONE at one point though McCarthy was doing too many pass plays). At one point in the season they were 7-5 and no one thought they would make the playoffs after getting hammered by the Falcons; just as no one expected the Pack attack to make it after the short loses we had to Detroit and New England.

Before the Giants game, all I heard during that week was how the Giants would "redeem" themselves in our house and show they are a play off team. Everybody picked them in a close win, and the only person who was close to a perfect prediction was Ted Brushi when he predicted the Packers to win by more than 14. Beating down the Giants personally told me, we WERE the team to beat, and beating this 2010 Green Bay Packers team that is injury plagued ain't an easy task.

I can't think of any other NFL team that would have made it and won the Super Bowl with the injury bug. I didn't expect us to win with all the injuries, but it proved one thing. When teams speak of Depth at roster, we are THE team with real depth at roster to go through hell and back with so many starters on IR, and come back home with the Lombardi trophy.

10. KilrB

KilrB Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +99
    I stand by what I said as well.

I also understand that many of my posts would be a fodder for anyone writing a book about mental football fans as well. ;)

11. PFanCan

PFanCan That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.

Ratings:
    +1,232
    As I was reading the initial post, I kept thinking to myself, "Please don't post something from me, please don't post...", but alas I was quoted. But, honestly, it wasn't my most negative post anyhow.

The 2010 Packers certainly tested our faith. Many of us lost it at some point along the way. As KilrB said above, we are mental. Our emotions run ski high to a valley low in a heartbeat. It's what defines a "fan" (from the word "fanatic").

It was nice that you threw in a few of Kitten's posts to show how she was one of the few who kept a cool head through thick and thin. Good work, Kitten.

I still think that McCarthy should pass the playcalling to someone else who is more talented and focus on being a head coach on the sidelines. But, I will probably whine less the next time he calls a predictable play in a key situation.

On second thought, no I won't.

12. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,312
    Originally Posted by JBlood

Philbin and Campen have had 4 years to develop a dominating line and the result is a pathetic group that can't get a yard when they really need it. McCarthy should have replaced these guys years ago and if he doesn't at the end of this year it will cost him his job.

I think this was after the Lions game, and I said in another thread that if MM didn't get things changed he would be gone at the end of the year. I still believe that, but it's pretty obvious that he DID get things changed around.

I still think the offensive line is the weak point of the offense and needs improvement in both the run game and the pass protection game. Rodgers won't last 5 years if he continues to get hit like he has.

I will admit, winning # 13 smooths over a lot of ills.

13. Skarecrow

Skarecrow Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +60
    Still want a new special teams coach

(can't let everyone get too sappy)

14. greenandgold

greenandgold I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan

Ratings:
    +473
    I quit reading after the guy said Rodgers sucks and is TT's boyfriend.

15. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +844
    I stand by my dislike for MM.

It is pretty funny to read these posts. Nothing like Monday Morning Quarterbacking :)