2017 Packers 53-Man Roster (Play GM)

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Play GM, and update YOUR roster throughout this off season till final roster cuts.

My 2015 53-Man Roster Predictions
https://www.packerforum.com/threads/53-man-roster.60108/page-3#post-619469
- Got 90.57% roster spot correct. I actually only had 51 people on my the final roster.. so i fcked up 2 spots LOL. Got five wrong.
-My picks who got Released: Neal, Ringo, Bradford.
-Who I forgot and Packs kept/added on final rosters: Harris, Taylor, Boyd, Palmer, Goodson

My 2016 53-Man Roster Predictions
https://www.packerforum.com/threads/final-53-play-gm-and-build-your-roster-link.66592/#post-663775
-Had 83% correct - wrong on 9 players
-My picks who got Released: Sitton, Crockett, Rotheram, Linsley [PUP], Mortell, Lovato, Pikula, Barrington, McBryde
-Who I forgot and Packs kept/added final rosters: Callahan, Burks, Abby, Barclay, Schum, J.Thomas, Hawkins, Brice, Evans.

My 2017 Packers 53-Man Roster
Offense (25)
QB (2) Aaron Rodgers, Brett Hundley
RB (4) Ty Montgomery, Jamaal Williams, Aaron Jones, Devante Mays
FB (1) Aaron Ripkowski
TE (3) Martellus Bennett, Lance Kendricks, Richard Rodgers
WR (7) Jordy Nelson, Davante Adams, Randall Cobb, Trevor Davis, Jeff Janis, Max McCaffrey, Malachi Dupre
OT (4) David Baktiari, Bryan Bulaga, Jason Spriggs, Kyle Murphy
OG(2) Lane Taylor, Jahri Evans,
C(2) Corey Linsley, Don Barclay

Special Teams (3)
ST (3) Mason Crosby, Justin Vogel, Derek Hart

Defense (25)
DL (6) Mike Daniels, Dean Lowry, Kenny Clark, Ricky Jean-Francios, Montravius Adam, Christian Ringo
OLB (5) Clay Matthews, Nick Perry, Ahmad Brooks, Jayrone Elliot, Kyler Fackrell,
ILB (3) Jake Ryan, Blake Martinez, Joe Thomas
CB (6) Davon House, Damarious Randall, Ladarius Gunter, Quinton Rollins, Kevin King, Josh Hawkins
S (4) Morgan Burnett, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Kentrell Brice, Marwin Evans
DB(1) Josh Jones
----------------------------------------------------------
Practice Squad (7)
Devante Mays
Michael Clark
DeAngelo Yancey
Lucas Patrick
Kofi Amichia
Brian Price (Expecting Mont. Adams to be put on IR once season starts)
Reggie Gilbert

Expecting other players from different team

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No UDFAs?

Good effort. I doubt we keep that many RBs and OGs. Probably Mays to PS. I think Janis is done.

OP
OP
PackFan2

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No UDFAs?

Good effort. I doubt we keep that many RBs and OGs. Probably Mays to PS. I think Janis is done.
I'm gonna need see the UDFAs on practice . Until articles and more practices come in, the drafted guys have advantage over them. I'll be updating every now and then. So far idk yet. The WR and CB group are talented. Michael Clark WR might be a redzone threat, Calvin might push out current OLB, Gray might make it as a guard but we'll have to see if he can handle NFL coming from Canadian Football. Heiman could just out Joe Thomas if Heiman shows he can cover.

IDK how i missed out on Brice last year. maybe i just forgot to update my roster.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PackFan2

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No UDFAs?

I'm also not too keen on Montgomery. Not saying hes a bad running back. Hes great. but He's always seems to be injured at the start of camp and season. Rookie year he had knee problems? i think. and last year he was held out for sickle cell.

If one of the undrafted plays better special teams than Janis and Davis, they're both gone. I was hesitant to keep Davis up there and put in Dupre.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I'm also not too keen on Montgomery. Not saying hes a bad running back. Hes great. but He's always seems to be injured at the start of camp and season. Rookie year he had knee problems? i think. and last year he was held out for sickle cell.

I'm not as worried about Montgomery's injury history but the lack of experience at the position is concerning.

I was hesitant to keep Davis up there and put in Dupre.

Although Dupre was drafted after Yancey I guess he has a better chance of making the final roster.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Montgomery is a matchip problem for other teams I like him. But he is not any every down RB. By mid season, either Williams or Aaron Jones will be getting the bulk of the carries.

There should be one shocking cut. Cobb, Jean-Francois, CM3, Hundley? There is always one.

H

HardRightEdge

Relax, I know. This is a WAY TOO EARLY PLAY GM (I will constantly up date mines till roster cuts). Play GM, and update YOUR roster throughout this off season till final roster cuts.

Offense (25)
QB (3) Aaron Rodgers, Brett Hundley, Joe Callahan
RB (4) Ty Montgomery, Jamaal Williams, Aaron Jones, Devante Mays
FB (1) Aaron Ripkowski
TE (3) Martellus Bennett, Lance Kendricks, Richard Rodgers
WR (7) Jordy Nelson, Davante Adams, Randall Cobb, Jeff Janis, Geronimo Allison, Trevor Davis, DeAngelo Yancy
OT (4) David Baktiari, Bryan Bulaga, Jason Springs, Kyle Murphy,
OG(5) Lane Taylor, Jahri Evans, Kofi Amichia, Justin McCray, Don Barclay
OC(1) Corey Linsley,
You've got 28 on offense, not 25. You gotta cut 3 guys. I doubt the Packers will carry 4 RB + 7 WR + 9 OL. At least two out of three at those positions gotta go.

6 D-Line may be aggressive given 80+% nickel and dime is in the cards once again.

It sounds like Biegel is heading to preseason PUP and the Packer track history in getting guys back "on schedule" is pretty poor.

But you're right...it's way too soon to tell. I think you gotta see some preseason to judge. And then there are the injuries between now and opening day.

That said, my leading candidates for the cut list among the players you've listed would be Janis and Davis. Janis' sole utility is as a gunner; Jones could take that spot given the chief qualifications are "strong and fast". Davis got passed over for Hawkins and has no special teams utility. Some kinda light is gonna have to go on for Davis to stick.

With 3 TEs and more 2 TE formations in the cards and Montogomery taking more snaps out of the slot in a pinch, 5 WRs would be an option. It's up to Yancey to beat these guys out and make that a possibility.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reese2017

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Come out player Brian price you will be in ahh should've played last year but kept guion because of his 3 million contract but he can't do what Price can and he's 8 years younger

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Depending on what Callahan shows in the preseason, as well as what the plans for Hundley are, I see JC as an easy slide to the PS. He was cut 3 times last year (Packers, Browns, Saints) and unless he really lights it up in preseason, I just don't see a lot of teams trying to sign him off our practice squad. I have never been a fan of carrying 2 backup QB's with little or no real game experience. If something happens to Rodgers, the season is probably over anyway, but if the season isn't over, I see there being a greater chance of the Packers playing Hundley and signing a vet QB to back him up then to elevate Callahan to the #2.

One of the 3 rookie RB's will end up on the PS, probably Mayes or Jones.

Although Monty is being converted to a RB, depending on how that works out, as well as how the rookie RB's pan out, Monty is always an option to play WR in a pinch, a 7th WR is not needed. The battle for the #6 WR spot will be between Janis and Davis, one won't make the team.

Barclay and McCray will fight it out for the 4th guard spot, one won't make the team. The guy who can play the most positions will have the upper hand, that could be Barclay.

I don't see the Packers carrying 6 DL, especially if there is any plan to keep Guion. Price is gone.

Joe Thomas doesn't make the 53 at ILB, Heiman, Tripp or Mathews (Derrick) takes his spot.

Gunter is shown the door and a surprising rookie takes his spot.

Reese2017

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depending on what Callahan shows in the preseason, as well as what the plans for Hundley are, I see JC as an easy slide to the PS. He was cut 3 times last year (Packers, Browns, Saints) and unless he really lights it up in preseason, I just don't see a lot of teams trying to sign him off our practice squad. I have never been a fan of carrying 2 backup QB's with little or no real game experience. If something happens to Rodgers, the season is probably over anyway, but if the season isn't over, I see there being a greater chance of the Packers playing Hundley and signing a vet QB to back him up then to elevate Callahan to the #2.

Although Monty is being converted to a RB, depending on how that works out, as well as how the rookie RB's pan out, Monty is always an option to play WR in a pinch, a 7th WR is not needed. The battle for the #6 WR spot will be between Janis and Davis, one won't make the team.

Barclay and McCray will fight it out for the 4th guard spot, one won't make the team. The guy who can play the most positions will have the upper hand, that could be Barclay.

I don't see the Packers carrying 6 DL, especially if there is any plan to keep Guion. Price is gone.

Joe Thomas doesn't make the 53 at ILB, Heiman, Tripp or Mathews (Derrick) takes his spot.

Have you watched guion play what does he do or better what can he do diving at people's feet and not rushing the qb and that's reason to keep him sure oh and let's not forget he likes to get suspended,Remember last year when he said he was hurt and price played the next week he was healthy he's 30 years old move on already

H

HardRightEdge

There should be one shocking cut. Cobb, Jean-Francois, CM3, Hundley? There is always one.
I have a hard time seeing Cobb or Matthews being cut.

The Packers are not exactly cap strapped. Cobb's cap savings would be $6.2 million. Though he has not lived up to the contract, he's a reasonable value at that price when healthy. He'll be the punt returner and perhaps also the kick returner if his snaps are reduced in 2 TE slots.

Matthews cap savings would be $11 million, true, but if they were gonna do it they would have done it by now and already answered the question, "who else ya got?", at a position of already questionable depth. It probably has not escaped the Packers' attention, as it did not escape some of ours, that Perry was noticeably more effective with Matthews on the field.

Why Hundley? In watching Williams' tape I did note that Hill has that gamer look about him and he's got good zip on his intermediate throws. But he's gonna be 27 years old on opening day, a little long in the tooth for a developmental QB. Something to consider about Hill: 6'2", 232 lbs., 4.44, 38.5 vertical. Maybe he makes the PS as a TE conversion but you're still looking at his age. And the considerable injury history. Probably just a camp arm.

Francois? With Guion on suspension, he's the only guy with any experience who looks like he can play NT. Capers plays more NT-under these days than 0-tech, but even so Clark does not look like a guy to mix it up inside...his deal is DE. Unless somebody like Price really shows up and Francois struggles, pen in Francois for every base snap.

I'm having a hard time identifying a "surprise" if by that we're not talking about Janis or Davis or Gunter or the like.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Thomas and Gunter are certainly on the bubble.

Reese2017

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Be prepared price will show up and show out he won packer lineman one on one last year beating daniels first time he's lost in four seasons

Sky King

Reaction score
Come out player Brian price you will be in ahh should've played last year but kept guion because of his 3 million contract but he can't do what Price can and he's 8 years younger
My guess is that Guion could be gone after his suspension ends as long as no other DL gets injured in preseason or the first four games of the regular season. I'm all for giving a guy a chance to make amends after breaking the rules but he just seems to be a mistake machine.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You think Janis AND Yancey will make the roster over Dupre? No way....if you ask me TT drafted Dupre to replace Janis, and Yancey to challenge Davis(I expect Yancey to win). Janis was supposed to be an actual contributor to the offense instead of just a Special Teams star. With Dupre's pedigree from LSU, I expect Janis cut by Week 3 of the Preseason. Davis won't be any more of a return man so if Yancey can show any type of offensive potential he could make the roster and make Davis end up on the PS, or vice-versa.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Have you watched guion play what does he do or better what can he do diving at people's feet and not rushing the qb and that's reason to keep him sure oh and let's not forget he likes to get suspended,Remember last year when he said he was hurt and price played the next week he was healthy he's 30 years old move on already

I never said Guion should make the team, but the fact that he is still on the roster, leads me to believe that the Packers are in a wait and see mode with him and what their options are. If a guy like Price or any other player looks better than Guion, than I agree, he is gone.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You think Janis AND Yancey will make the roster over Dupre? No way....if you ask me TT drafted Dupre to replace Janis, and Yancey to challenge Davis(I expect Yancey to win). Janis was supposed to be an actual contributor to the offense instead of just a Special Teams star. With Dupre's pedigree from LSU, I expect Janis cut by Week 3 of the Preseason. Davis won't be any more of a return man so if Yancey can show any type of offensive potential he could make the roster and make Davis end up on the PS, or vice-versa.

I think TT drafted Dupre because he was the best value on the board in the 7th round. I like what I have seen and read about Dupre, but most of what I have read points to him being a developmental WR who isn't NFL ready. We all know how hard it is for a rookie WR to learn the Packers offense and even more importantly, getting in synch and trusted by AR. I see Jordy, Randall, Devante and Geronimo as near locks for 1-4 and I doubt both Yancey and Dupre join as the #5 and #6 WR's. Those two may be battling it out for one spot and Davis and Janis for the other.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a hard time seeing Cobb or Matthews being cut.

The Packers are not exactly cap strapped. Cobb's cap savings would be $6.2 million. Though he has not lived up to the contract, he's a reasonable value at that price when healthy. He'll be the punt returner and perhaps also the kick returner if his snaps are reduced in 2 TE slots.

Matthews cap savings would be $11 million, true, but if they were gonna do it they would have done it by now and already answered the question, "who else ya got?", at a position of already questionable depth. It probably has not escaped the Packers' attention, as it did not escape some of ours, that Perry was noticeably more effective with Matthews on the field.

Why Hundley? In watching Williams' tape I did note that Hill has that gamer look about him and he's got good zip on his intermediate throws. But he's gonna be 27 years old on opening day, a little long in the tooth for a developmental QB. Something to consider about Hill: 6'2", 232 lbs., 4.44, 38.5 vertical. Maybe he makes the PS as a TE conversion but you're still looking at his age. And the considerable injury history. Probably just a camp arm.

Francois? With Guion on suspension, he's the only guy with any experience who looks like he can play NT. Capers plays more NT-under these days than 0-tech, but even so Clark does not look like a guy to mix it up inside...his deal is DE. Unless somebody like Price really shows up and Francois struggles, pen in Francois for every base snap.

I'm having a hard time identifying a "surprise" if by that we're not talking about Janis or Davis or Gunther or the like.
I dont think Clay will be cut. Just threw some names out there to generate discussion. There are some here who have suggested Clay should be let go.

Each year there is at least one cut that shocks me. Last year this time everyone had Sitton etched in stone as our starting guard. Low and behold Taylor impressed the coaches and Sitton began complaining to teammates about his contract. And ****, he was gone.

No telling which bottom roster dweller is going to step forward and make a veteran expendable.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all know how hard it is for a rookie WR to learn the Packers offense and even more importantly, getting in synch and trusted by AR.

You bring up two excellent points; and those are two things that Janis has failed to do in multiple years. If Dupre can get AR's trust, Janis is already on his way out the door.

Sky King

Reaction score
My guess is that Guion could be gone after his suspension as long as no other DL gets seriously injured during preseason or the first four games of the regular season. I'm all for giving a guy a chances to make amends after breaking the rules but he does not seem able to stay clear of trouble. It may be time to move-on.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You bring up two excellent points; and those are two things that Janis has failed to do in multiple years. If Dupre can get AR's trust, Janis is already on his way out the door.

Oh trust me, I have never been on the "keep Janis band wagon". I understood his value on Special Teams, but even that seemed to drop off last year. I don't think it will be hard for any of the rookies to surpass Janis on the depth chart at WR, but the Packers will have to decide if that player can do something other than sit on the bench in 2017 and contribute on special teams.

I really hope Janis proves most of us wrong and comes out in the preseason a completely different WR. He has the physical tools to be something special, but if all he can offer is an occasional tackle on special teams, it's time to move on.

Another Author's spin on Dupre:

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/n...pre-impact-2017-2018-red-flags-practice-squad

Last edited:

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is year 4 isn't it? Jordy isn't getting any younger and Adams is entering his contract year I believe. We could potentially lose both in the same year possibly. The 2018 draft depending on how this season plays out I wouldn't be surprised if we went after the top WR in the Draft. Janis has run out of time. He'll soon be supplanted by younger and more talented WRs.

Sky King

Reaction score
Every year the team stashes players on the practice squad and IR. It would not come as a surprise to see one or more of the WRs end-up there out of all the rookies and 2nd year players.

TT and staff have been pretty fair to players that they do not feel will be a fit as they move forward. They cut Michael and Jackson very early, for example. Conversely, the team seems to be okay with a rather crowded WR room. No early cuts just yet, which is something one would be expecting if any players were certain not to figure into their plans whatsoever.

H

HardRightEdge

Last year this time everyone had Sitton etched in stone as our starting guard. Low and behold Taylor impressed the coaches and Sitton began complaining to teammates about his contract. And ****, he was gone.
Taylor was slipping in among 4 good or better performers in the position group and already had a few starts to show he was at least serviceable.

I'm just not seeing that combination of factors here.

Mark Andrew Hooley

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The likely roster has a lot of depth at positions we had little at last year. OLB is the one exception, and we need a veteran signing at the position. Other than that I feel good about the overall depth on both sides of the ball. I agree with the original poster, except I can see Dupre making the roster.