2017 Packers 53-Man Roster (Play GM)

OP
OP
PackFan2

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Montravius Adams is gonna be out for a couple weeks. Janis has yet to impress anyone

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The beat writers seem to expect Jordy Tripp to make the team based on ST ability.
We need depth at OLB and quality Special Teams play from our depth, so if he is can overachieve on ST's, that is good.. This is Jordan's 4th team in 4 years, so maybe 4th time's a charm?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
We need depth at OLB and quality Special Teams play from our depth, so if he is can overachieve on ST's, that is good.. This is Jordan's 4th team in 4 years, so maybe 4th time's a charm?

Tripp is an off ball linebacker rather than a pass rush guy, but we need the depth in both places anyways.

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
Edited repost. Josh Jones is an ILB on this Packer team. So, I just changed his position group to reflect the reality of the situation as I see it.
  • QB: Rodgers, Hundley (2)
  • WR: Nelson, Adams, Cobb, Davis, Yancey, Dupre (6)
  • TE: Bennett, Kendricks, Rodgers (3)
  • RB: Montgomery, Williams, Jones, Mays, Ripkowski (5)
  • OT: Bakhtiari, Bulaga, Spriggs, Murphy (4)
  • OG: Evans, Taylor, Patrick (3)
  • C: Lindsley, Amechia, Barclay (3)
  • DL: Daniels, Clark, Francoise, Lowry, Adams (5)
  • OLB: Matthews, Perry, Fackrell, Biegel, Elliott, Calvin (6)
  • ILB: Josh Jones, Ryan, Martinez, Thomas (4)
  • S: Dix, Burnett, Brice, Evans(4)
  • CB: King, House, Randall, Rollins, Pipkins (5)
  • ST: Crosby, Vogel, Hart (3)
Even at this early date, it appears Jones is already the #1 ILB because the Packers play so much nickel & dime. Sure, Burnett is practicing at ILB, but, it looks like they are going to play a lot of dime stuff with Dix, Burnett and Brice at safety/dime back and Jones will be the only ILB on the field. Only against running teams like Dallas & Chicago will Ryan & Martinez see tons of snaps.

I was initially thinking Jones might push Thomas off the roster at ILB. However, given the fact the Packers only played base 3-4 on about 17% of defensive snaps in 2016, maybe it is Jake Ryan's roster spot that is jeopardized by Jones presence.

D

Deleted member 6794

I was initially thinking Jones might push Thomas off the roster at ILB. However, given the fact the Packers only played base 3-4 on about 17% of defensive snaps in 2016, maybe it is Jake Ryan's roster spot that is jeopardized by Jones presence.

I highly doubt Ryan is in danger of not making the roster as he's definitely the best inside linebacker defending the run.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I highly doubt Ryan is in danger of not making the roster as he's definitely the best inside linebacker defending the run.
Agreed and if someone is in danger of losing their job at ILB, Joe Thomas would be the first name that pops into my mind.

It's amazing though, here is a second round pick. that played safety in college, who is possibly being talked about being a starter at ILB. Obviously, he is a different kind of ILB than the Packers were looking for in Ryan and Martinez, but once again it shows you just how far behind the thought process TT is with ILB or that Ryan or Martinez just aren't that good?

Scotland Yard

Reaction score

Ryan was the Packer's best ILB run defender...until Jones arrived. True, Jones vs. an OL might be trouble, but, straight up seeking and destroying a RB is Jones forte. Sure, Ryan might be better equipped to bring down Eddie Lacy week 1. However, Ryan lacks the speed to keep up with the faster backs like Dalvin Cook, Joe Mixon, Elliott, etc.

Ryan for sure can do it vs. teams that want to run between the tackles. But, Jones should be much better against outside runs and end arounds and so on, with the added benefit that he can more readily transition to pass defense on fakes.

In any case I agree with you, as I did not call for Ryan to be cut. The question is how valuable is Ryan this season if his snaps are drastically reduced because Jones and Burnett are now taking snaps at ILB?

Of course, I've been thinking Jones is going to be a similar player to Leroy Butler since they drafted him and he has been showing that kind of ability so far. Obviously, Ryan has no chance of being that type of impact player, so, to me it is no comparison.

The entire NFL is transitioning away from old-time ILB's like Ryan to safety types like Jones, so, I feel confident in my breakdown of the situation.

D

Deleted member 6794

Agreed and if someone is in danger of losing their job at ILB, Joe Thomas would be the first name that pops into my mind.

It's amazing though, here is a second round pick. that played safety in college, who is possibly being talked about being a starter at ILB. Obviously, he is a different kind of ILB than the Packers were looking for in Ryan and Martinez, but once again it shows you just how far behind the thought process TT is with ILB or that Ryan or Martinez just aren't that good?

I don't consider Thomas to be in danger of losing a roster spot either as the Packers don't have a lot of depth at inside linebacker. I'm excited about the Packers planning on using Jones as a hybrid safety/ILB as I don't believe he would have made a positive impact lining up at his college position.

D

Deleted member 6794

Ryan was the Packer's best ILB run defender...until Jones arrived. True, Jones vs. an OL might be trouble, but, straight up seeking and destroying a RB is Jones forte. Sure, Ryan might be better equipped to bring down Eddie Lacy week 1. However, Ryan lacks the speed to keep up with the faster backs like Dalvin Cook, Joe Mixon, Elliott, etc.

Ryan for sure can do it vs. teams that want to run between the tackles. But, Jones should be much better against outside runs and end arounds and so on, with the added benefit that he can more readily transition to pass defense on fakes.

In any case I agree with you, as I did not call for Ryan to be cut. The question is how valuable is Ryan this season if his snaps are drastically reduced because Jones and Burnett are now taking snaps at ILB?

Of course, I've been thinking Jones is going to be a similar player to Leroy Butler since they drafted him and he has been showing that kind of ability so far. Obviously, Ryan has no chance of being that type of impact player, so, to me it is no comparison.

Jones has yet to play a single snap in a preseason game, therefore it's way too early to appoint him as the best inside linebacker on the roster. While he definitely possesses the athletic ability to develop into an impact player he has to reduce his mental errors and the number of missed tackles to achieve that.

Ryan was one of the best run defenders at inside linebacker in the league last season, it's way too early to consider the rookie an upgrade in that area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
While I agree about being concerned about the cornerback and I might add outside linebacker I'm fine with the depth chart at running back.
To the extent that the depth chart is essentially theoretical, I too like it. Four weeks from now, though, the depth chart - with zero injuries - could be Monty, Williams, Rip. And that's it. And even Williams is no guarantee, obviously. Going to be interesting to see what we have there, and I remain hopeful. Linebacker, that scares the crap outta me.

D

Deleted member 6794

To the extent that the depth chart is essentially theoretical, I too like it. Four weeks from now, though, the depth chart - with zero injuries - could be Monty, Williams, Rip. And that's it. And even Williams is no guarantee, obviously. Going to be interesting to see what we have there, and I remain hopeful.

I'm optimistic that at least one rookie running back will have a positive impact this season. Early reports out of training camp indicate all of them including Montgomery have to improve in pass protection though.

Scotland Yard

Reaction score
Jones has yet to play a single snap in a preseason game, therefore it's way too early to appoint him as the best inside linebacker on the roster. While he definitely possesses the athletic ability to develop into an impact player he has to reduce his mental errors and the number of missed tackles to achieve that.

Ryan was one of the best run defenders at inside linebacker in the league last season, it's way too early to appoint the rookie an upgrade in that area.

Yeah, well it is too early to predict the 53-man roster, but, this is a prediction thread. If I don't predict which players are going to be good how can I forecast a 53-man roster? So, after Jones makes a Pro Bowl, then I can have your permission to make a prediction?

Honestly, if your attitude is 'wait and see', fine. But, the purpose of this thread is not to wait, but, put our effort into making a solid prediction based on what little information we now have. Simply writing , "it's way too early to appoint him as the best inside linebacker on the roster" might have a ring of truth to it, but, this whole thread is about trying to predict what will happen 5 weeks from now before we have the data from preseason.

I expect Jones to be at his best close to the LOS therefore I'm absolutely fine using him as a hybrid safety/inside linebacker.

Somehow, you formed expectations without Jones taking a single stinking snap in a preseason game. So, it is perfectly acceptable for you to forecast Jones abilities and where he will line up and play just after the draft, but, the rest of us better just wait until we see him in a Packer preseason game, huh?

By the way, Jones has zero missed tackles and mental errors for the Packers in a preseason game, so, he cannot "reduce his mental errors and the number of missed tackles" can he?

You say Jones hasn't taken "a single snap in preseason game", yet, you can declare that Jones must reduce his mental errors and missed tackles.

I've seen you criticize other posters as being know-it-alls. But, look at you. You alone seem to know what Jones must work on, but, for the rest of us, we need to wait until we have some hard data from preseason.

Ryan might be reliable vs. the run, and he had 8 TFL in 2016. However, no sacks, no INT's, no FF and no fumble recoveries. Not saying he's a bum, but, I think some of you guys overrate him.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah, well it is too early to predict the 53-man roster, but, this is a prediction thread. If I don't predict which players are going to be good how can I forecast a 53-man roster? So, after Jones makes a Pro Bowl, then I can have your permission to make a prediction?

Honestly, if your attitude is 'wait and see', fine. But, the purpose of this thread is not to wait, but, put our effort into making a solid prediction based on what little information we now have. Simply writing , "it's way too early to appoint him as the best inside linebacker on the roster" might have a ring of truth to it, but, this whole thread is about trying to predict what will happen 5 weeks from now before we have the data from preseason.

Somehow, you formed expectations without Jones taking a single stinking snap in a preseason game. So, it is perfectly acceptable for you to forecast Jones abilities and where he will line up and play just after the draft, but, the rest of us better just wait until we see him in a Packer preseason game, huh?

By the way, Jones has zero missed tackles and mental errors for the Packers in a preseason game, so, he cannot "reduce his mental errors and the number of missed tackles" can he?

You say Jones hasn't taken "a single snap in preseason game", yet, you can declare that Jones must reduce his mental errors and missed tackles.

I've seen you criticize other posters as being know-it-alls. But, look at you. You alone seem to know what Jones must work on, but, for the rest of us, we need to wait until we have some hard data from preseason.

Wow, what an unexpected reaction to my post.

This thread is about predicting the 53 players that will make the final roster and I'm absolutely convinced everybody agrees that Jones will be one of them.

My concerns about him are based on his college tape, which in my opinion should be valued higher than reports from practices.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Except they've been talking about this for a couple years and then they that looked like he was going to be used in that role had a career ending neck injury. Actually 2 of them in Richardson and Banjo, though Richardson was actually talked about playing the hybrid role and banjo was just more of a run support safety. Burnett was talked about as well, but with turnover and then the injury situation last year it was tough to even get enough guys in the secondary. Brice started playing more later in the year with Burnett moving closer to the line with some success.

I'd say they've had this in mind for a few seasons, but the situation hasn't allowed for it to be used a lot.

D

Deleted member 6794

Except they've been talking about this for a couple years and then they that looked like he was going to be used in that role had a career ending neck injury. Actually 2 of them in Richardson and Banjo, though Richardson was actually talked about playing the hybrid role and banjo was just more of a run support safety. Burnett was talked about as well, but with turnover and then the injury situation last year it was tough to even get enough guys in the secondary. Brice started playing more later in the year with Burnett moving closer to the line with some success.

I'd say they've had this in mind for a few seasons, but the situation hasn't allowed for it to be used a lot.

I don't remember the Packers ever planned to use either Richardson or Banjo as a hybrid safety/liebacker.

FYI Banjo didn't suffer a career ending injury and is currently on the Saints roster.

Scotland Yard

Reaction score
Wow, what an unexpected reaction to my post.

This thread is about predicting the 53 players that will make the final roster and I'm absolutely convinced everybody agrees that Jones will be one of them.

My concerns about him are based on his college tape, which in my opinion should be valued higher than reports from practices.

According to you it is "way to early" for me to form my opinion on Jones, need to wait until I see him in a preseason game. But, you are allowed to form your opinion without a preseason game because you can glean from his college tape.

You should expect "reaction" when you tell other people their opinion is invalid because they lack data (preseason games), use bad data (reports from practices) or it is "way too early" to have an opinion, but, on the other hand your opinion is valid because you do have the data (college tape).

D

Deleted member 6794

According to you it is "way to early" for me to form my opinion on Jones, need to wait until I see him in a preseason game. But, you are allowed to form your opinion without a preseason game because you can glean from his college tape.

I'm sorry but if you don't realize there's a significant difference between taking a look at Jones' college tape and beat writer reports from practice there's no point in further discussing about it with you.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I predict that Jones will play exactly to the level that, in ten years, we will be able to look back and see that he played at during his NFL tenure.

Scotland Yard

Reaction score
I'm sorry but if you don't realize there's a significant difference between taking a look at Jones' college tape and beat writer reports from practice there's no point in further discussing about it with you.

Again, the implication that I'm too stupid to understand.:mad:

Do you assume I get my info only from the beat writers? That is what you implied.

How many hours of Jones college tape did you watch? 3 minutes on Youtube? Well, I guess that makes you the forum expert.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

I would hope so, seems to work for other teams, as does having an athletic TE, which the Packers hadn't seen between the time of Finley's injury and the FA signing of Cook, now look.....TT has 2 of them :)

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Amongst TE, FB, and RB positions I expect 8 spots. The locks IMO are Marty B, Monty, and the Ripper. On the inside track is Kendricks. Able to play a way off the roster is RRodgers, Kerridge, Williams, Jones, Mays. These last can be knocked off by any of the remainders who are all long shots. A 2nd FB slot will be interchangeable with the 4th TE and 3rd RB. Special teams will come into play. The 4th TE is also interchangeable with the 6th WR slot. For a 7th WR, one of the 8 slots will have to go. For the first week at least, G'mo is on the shelf and not counted. That saves a spot. Third QB and 9th & 10th OL spots are the other flexible spots on offense. They may or not exist on the 53.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Third QB and 9th & 10th OL spots are the other flexible spots on offense. They may or not exist on the 53.

I hope there isn't a need to carry a 3rd QB on the 53. When you have AR and Hundley, that should be enough. Only reason the Packers should carry a 3rd is if they really like him, see him as the heir apparent to Hundley and don't want to lose him to another team. Otherwise, no sense wasting a roster spot on a guy who will be inactive every game and get no more reps then a practice squad player. Now a team like the Bears, they carry 3 QB's, since there isn't much of a difference between all 3. :coffee:

OP
OP
PackFan2

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

YES!! agree 100%% TT is so far behind on the evolution of ILB. Been saying ever since we got burned by Kaepernick and receiving threat RBs!! We need that hybrid ILB since Shazier. Last year I thought Deion Jones would've been the perfect for us in the draft. Now hes a up and coming ILB for that Falcons def.