Favre: Packers wouldn't pay Moss

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Veteran quarterback Brett Favre isn’t happy that the Green Bay Packers didn’t trade for Oakland receiver Randy Moss, and he bluntly said so on Saturday.

“It is disappointing,” Favre told Al Jones of the Biloxi (Miss.) Sun Herald during his annual celebrity golf tournament in Tunica, Miss. “It was a done deal and the stories of how we lost him because he didn’t want to restructure his contract were not true.

“He was going to wipe his contract clean and sign for $3 million guaranteed, plus a fourth-round draft pick. That would have been a steal. But we were not willing to guarantee part of that $3 million. I even had (agent) Bus (Cook) call up there and tell them I would give up part of my salary to guarantee that part of the money. Apparently that wasn’t enough, either.”

Favre conceded he knew his comments would raise eyebrows.

“This is a first-class organization that wants to win. I want to win now,” he told Jones.

“I just want to win; maybe I see things the wrong way. I don’t want to ruffle any feathers and I want people to respect me. Sometimes I think it’s hard for them to let Brett go. They might think that we pay him a lot of money, but he still gives us the best chance to win. I’ve never been told that, but there are times when I wonder if I’m the odd man out here and they just don’t know how to tell me."

Favre, 37, knows time in running out on his NFL career.

“Our offense struggled last season. If it were not for our defense, we would not have won eight games. Right now, it’s hard to be optimistic," he told Jones.

"I’m not getting any younger and I think everyone knows that. I don’t have five years to rebuild. No one in Green Bay is saying rebuild, but it’s hard to look at where we are going and say, ‘How can they not be rebuilding?’

“I don’t know if I’ve lost faith, and I think everyone in the organization wants to win. I just don’t know if it includes me. If it’s going to be five years from now, I’m not going to be here. This is 17 years for me and I want to win.”

For more on this story, see Sunday's Green Bay Press-Gazette

I've been on the fence with Ted, tried to support him, but after reading what Brett said I just can't help but lose faith in the man. I admire Brett because he's honest and I'm glad he came through with this.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Welcome to the "Dark Side" Z2C. Better grab your seat early, I'm guessing there will be a lot more people here before this era is over. :rotflmao:

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Finally, wonder why Ted didn't want to talk about how the deal went sour for Moss.

Favre was willing to give part of his contract to secure Moss :) I really do feel for the guy, Winning isn't a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the signing of character troubled players and idiot comments in media is what have been destroying the Vikings, in addition to incompetent management and coaching over the past few years.

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Big mistake by TT. Ugh, this is disappointing. Here's hoping this team can rebound and improve the WR group after cut day.

Reaction score
Wow.

Well, first I think I was dead wrong, Brett is obviously pissed and I see that now.

I am in utter disbelief here. I defended Ted, gave him time to do his thing. But if this is how you are gonna treat your #1 QB, a future HOF, then honestly just cut him. Cut Favre Ted, because I finally realized you may very well be deciding to move on without him and Brett finally got that message (as did I)...

Wow, I'm just stunned right now. When Brett goes as far as offering to reduce his cap amount so you can give Moss a bonus, then it shouldn't be a hard decision to make.

Cut Favre, or trade Favre to another team, Ted... preferably to the Bears. I just want to see Brett win one final time now.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The thing that really burns me about Ted is he promised Brett he would do his best to get him help..

Ted said this b4 or about same time Brett was announcing he was coming back..

Ted didnt live up to his word which is something that is just wrong to do...

Oannes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is for the best. Favre NEEDS to move on. I just wonder who else is going to want to move on now. I doubt Driver wants to say. He's the biggest Favre fanatic I know.

Once your leader goes down this road it would be foolish to not get rid of him.

Our organization is WEAK and will try to smooth this over. I just hope Brett stays like this and forces his way out like McKenzie and Walker.

We should've moved him long before it ever got to this point.

If I'm an NFL player Green Bay is last on my list now. It was probably near the bottom anyway but this is about as bad of PR for the Packers as one could imagine.

I just knew Favre and TT didn't get along.

The funny thing is I really don't have a problem with his anger. He should be angry. Adding Randy was the one thing I thought could rekindle Favre's fire like it once was. I guess I was wrong. NOT getting Randy also rekindled his fire but in the most negative of ways.

Start looking at teams who need a QB. Where is Brett going to go?

Kansas City?
Miami?
Oakland? Always looking for washed up stars
Chicago? My goodness I bet Brett would love to go there.
Minnesota? Not as attractive as Chicago but chance for revenge.

What a BOMBSHELL!!!!! I'm glad he offered up the PROOF that so many really needed. Thank you for that, at least, Brett. Happy Trails!

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is for the best. Favre NEEDS to move on. I just wonder who else is going to want to move on now. I doubt Driver wants to say. He's the biggest Favre fanatic I know.
Jeez, step back off the ledge. Favre basically said Driver and Jennings were inadequate as top 2 receivers, that sure would make me want to follow him.

Our organization is WEAK and will try to smooth this over. I just hope Brett stays like this and forces his way out like McKenzie and Walker.
So, McCarthy and TT were both in charge when those guys left? Funny, I thought Sherman was. At any rate, it won't matter as TT will be gone by the end of the season.

If I'm an NFL player Green Bay is last on my list now. It was probably near the bottom anyway but this is about as bad of PR for the Packers as one could imagine.
Sure, spots like Oakland, Detroit, Tampa, Arizona and numerous others are much more attractive. Not to mention teams like Chicago who have certainly shown a pattern of rewarding top players (Briggs, Thomas Jones,...). If GB makes a competitive bid, you'd be surprised how many good players they could land. TT just hasn't decided to make those bids.

The funny thing is I really don't have a problem with his anger. He should be angry. Adding Randy was the one thing I thought could rekindle Favre's fire like it once was. I guess I was wrong. NOT getting Randy also rekindled his fire but in the most negative of ways.
This team must be real close if a new 3rd WR would have changed everything.

Start looking at teams who need a QB. Where is Brett going to go?

Kansas City?
Miami?
Oakland? Always looking for washed up stars
No way GB trades him in the division. As to the other 3, I doubt any would want Favre to be honest. For as much as a "superstar" as Brett is, I doubt if there would be any takers out there for him at this point.

What a BOMBSHELL!!!!! I'm glad he offered up the PROOF that so many really needed. Thank you for that, at least, Brett. Happy Trails!
In your opinion, is there any hope for this organization? If your answer is "No" (as it appears to be), why are you even here?

Oannes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Arles...you've got me all wrong. This is EXACTLY what I was hoping would happen. Favre has been unhappy and unmotivated for the past 4 years. It's about time his displeasure has a huge spotlight show upon it.

Now, we can rid ourselves of a 12 million dollar man who doesn't want to prepare himself like the average joe would for his job.

Brett is a classless individual. I really believe that.

Our team finally gets a chance to grow together. Favre is an island unto himself. Driver might be the only guy sharing space there with him.

I think you'll see a fired up football team with a new QB at the helm. I know I'm as excited as I have been in many, many year. God's honest truth. This is an absolute joyous moment for me. Not because I'm right about this whole deal on TT and Brett...because this NEEDED to happen and FINALLY did. I just hope we can move forward now.

By the way, McKenzie and Walker are the last two guys who FORCED their way out of our organization. It isn't relevant who was running the show. My point was that I want Favre to force his way out. He appears to off to a pretty good start and for that I'm all smiles.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Arles...you've got me all wrong. This is EXACTLY what I was hoping would happen. Favre has been unhappy and unmotivated for the past 4 years. It's about time his displeasure has a huge spotlight show upon it.

Now, we can rid ourselves of a 12 million dollar man who doesn't want to prepare himself like the average joe would for his job.

Brett is a classless individual. I really believe that.

Our team finally gets a chance to grow together. Favre is an island unto himself. Driver might be the only guy sharing space there with him.

I think you'll see a fired up football team with a new QB at the helm. I know I'm as excited as I have been in many, many year. God's honest truth. This is an absolute joyous moment for me. Not because I'm right about this whole deal on TT and Brett...because this NEEDED to happen and FINALLY did. I just hope we can move forward now.

By the way, McKenzie and Walker are the last two guys who FORCED their way out of our organization. It isn't relevant who was running the show. My point was that I want Favre to force his way out. He appears to off to a pretty good start and for that I'm all smiles.

I disagree completely. Favre is not classless. Brett wants TT to assemble a winning team. TT won't say WE ARE REBUILDING so he leaves Brett to sit back and hope he is a man of his word. Year in and year out TT doesn't do a damn thing and Brett has finally said ENOUGH!

Oannes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And that's FANTASTIC. I'm glad Brett feels that way. If there's a huge problem, and there sure was, then it's time for it to come out into the open.

Now, we all get to see a little of what's been going on. No more "there's no proof of that" type of stuff any longer. We ALL get to see what Favre thinks.

I'm overjoyed with this. Favre wants to win? Duh. Who doesn't? Do you think Patrick Dendy doesn't want to win?

Brett Favre is not this team. Shortly, my hope is we're going to see a real team. One minus an aging one time superstar who is nothing like he once was. This will be GREAT for team chemistry.

This is a good thing folks...a very, very, good thing. I'm just afraid our weak leadership is going to "fix" this and the fix won't be getting rid of Brett.

Do you really want him playing for the Packers after this? We all remember the interview where he said he "wasn't sure if he wanted the ball in his hands with 2 minutes left". That should've been a huge red flag that this guy just didn't have that fire anymore. Now, on top of his wondering about his own skill level, you can add the fact that he's pissed at the organization.

Unless you think a scene out of the movie MAJOR LEAGUE is going to unfold, it's best to ship him out. It's too bad we couldn't have dealt him for draft picks a couple of weeks ago.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And that's FANTASTIC. I'm glad Brett feels that way. If there's a huge problem, and there sure was, then it's time for it to come out into the open.

Now, we all get to see a little of what's been going on. No more "there's no proof of that" type of stuff any longer. We ALL get to see what Favre thinks.

I'm overjoyed with this. Favre wants to win? Duh. Who doesn't? Do you think Patrick Dendy doesn't want to win?

Brett Favre is not this team. Shortly, my hope is we're going to see a real team. One minus an aging one time superstar who is nothing like he once was. This will be GREAT for team chemistry.

This is a good thing folks...a very, very, good thing. I'm just afraid our weak leadership is going to "fix" this and the fix won't be getting rid of Brett.

Do you really want him playing for the Packers after this? We all remember the interview where he said he "wasn't sure if he wanted the ball in his hands with 2 minutes left". That should've been a huge red flag that this guy just didn't have that fire anymore. Now, on top of his wondering about his own skill level, you can add the fact that he's pissed at the organization.

Unless you think a scene out of the movie MAJOR LEAGUE is going to unfold, it's best to ship him out. It's too bad we couldn't have dealt him for draft picks a couple of weeks ago.

You can have your opinion and thats fine. I'll tell you right now however, Brett isn't the one holding back this team. Ultimately, if Ted thinks that he can sever ties with him at anytime.

Brett Favre is still a helluva good QB. He is not the superstar he once was but he gives the Packers the best chance to win.

Oannes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A guy unmotivated to prepare himself gives us the best chance to win? Win what? A handful of games. He said it himself...the defense was more responsible for victories than the offense.

I know you love Favre and this is hard for you. It's hard for a lot of people who worship the guy. I care for the TEAM and don't worship at Brett's throne. My perspective is vastly different. This is a GOOD thing and I can't stress this enough. Things NEED to get out in the open. That is the ONLY way they get dealt with. Do you want another season of issues holding the team back just so you can think things are okay?

I'm glad Brett did this. TT was never going to go down this road. I'm sure he has pretty strong feelings about what Brett said, and is glad Favre was the one to comment on it because he never would.

It's time for all of us to go back to being Packer fans. Favre has detracted from the very essence of what we're supposed to be.

I do worry about some fans... I think 10 years from now this will bother them as much as it does right now.

GREEN BAY PACKERS... There's no BRETT FAVRE in our team.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Bears can go to the Superbowl with Rex Grossman, hell then we can win with a different QB than Favre.

Reaction score
A guy unmotivated to prepare himself gives us the best chance to win? Win what? A handful of games.

Brett himself has always maintained he wasn't a fan of the off-field stuff such as planning, etc. Can you blame him?

17 years in the league, and well minicamps aren't worth much for vets.

Harris... didn't show last year.

Woodson... didn't show last year.

They did fine.

Brett himself has been given minicamps off in the Sherman era because they don't hold too much value for someone like him.

He's had thousands of reps behind Center, so having a 100 more or so isn't going to drastically improve Brett.

IF the minicamps hold some importance (like last year, when McCarthy started implementing his scheme) then Brett will show up. He's never been a fan of minicamps (I haven't heard a vet who says he loves going to minicamp), and that isn't new.

Latest posts