Duh Bears -- round 2.0 -- 2018

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think check downs to the RB are going to work well this game. #1, I don't think the Bears will have to commit that many people to rushing the QB that Jones or Williams will be left alone. after 3,4 seconds and then come back to the check down, i have a feeling they'll be cleaned up by one of their Linebackers before they even turn and run. If anything, they'll have to get the RB or WR moving before the snap and quick hit it to beat some of the speed of the linebackers and that defense. It's going to have to be snap..ball out. that's going to have to build the rest of the offense for the day.

Ideally if the Pack win the coin toss I'd like to see them take the ball to start and go no huddle to try and score quick. Don't let them sub or anything to get set.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Ideally if the Pack win the coin toss I'd like to see them take the ball to start and go no huddle to try and score quick. Don't let them sub or anything to get set.
I was thinking about this as well. I do prefer when the offense plays no huddle and if they see Mack leave the field to get a breather, that could be a time when they really want to play hurry up and keep him off the field.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, sounds like he lost someone close in a car accident.

Bashaud Breeland‏Verified account @Bree2Land6
Lost of words filled wit a lots of emotion never thought I’ll be losing a brother a friend just a genuine person period so soon! I lost a big part of my life my childhood last-night in… https://www.instagram.com/p/BrS7LAEnbs1/?utm_source=ig_twitter_share&igshid=16vr07b5ssn9d …
ahh, that's tough. If he's headed back to GB, I assume he'll be on the field then. Sometimes these things can be a distraction, sometimes the field lets them escape and they hyperfocus and have the game of their life. Either way, even though we all lose people, I hope he's ok.

H

HardRightEdge

A few Bears observations relating to the key defensive stats:

Red Zone

Surprisingly, perhaps, they have not been any better than the Packers in red zone defense. The Bears are 12th. with a 56.3% TDs, whereas the Packers are 14th. at 56.8%, a 1 out of 200 diference. These are good, not great numbers, and not immediately evident from the Bears headline yards and points stats. Their league leading fewest TDs surrendered on the ground with 4, all in the red zone, suggests a possible vulnerability to the pass from short range.

Big Play TDs

This is where the difference lies between the 3-3 Bears and the 9-4 Bears.
  • In week 1, Rodgers threw 4th. quarter TDs of 39 and 75 yards late and won
  • In week 3, Bradford threw TDs of 33 and 21 yards for an early 14 point lead, then the Cardinals did what the Cardinals ususally do and lost 16-14.
  • In week 5, doing his best Rodgers immitation, Osweiler threw TD passes of 43 yards and 73 yards in the 4th. quarter for the win.
Since week 5, they've surrendered only one TD from outside the red zone, a gadget 49 yd. TD throw by Beckham. Coincidetally, the Giants too won that one, in overtime.

[Note: Cobb threw a 121 balls in college at a 51% completion rate with 5 TDs and 5 INTs, so he'd probably be the best option. He's only thrown 2 balls as a pro. most recently a 10 yard completion last year. I'm just kiddng, of course. Maybe. :whistling:]

I don't know what the Bears have done to shore up the back end, but it is the significant factor in their mid-season run.

3rd. and 4th. Downs

The Bears defense is stingy on 3rd. down at 34%, ranking 3rd. in the league. Suprisingly, they have been weak on 4th. down, with opponents succeeding on 14 of 22 attempts.

Rushing Defense

A-1. 3.7 yds. per carry, league leading fewest TDs with 4 with none from outside the red zone, only 5 runs of 20+ yards, and a low 19% first downs on run plays.

Turnovers

These guys lead the league in forcing turnovers by a decent margin with 34. Their 25 picks lead the league by a similar margin, 6 more than the second place Dolphins. These picks go a long way in setting that league leading passer rating against of 73.4.

I believe they're up to 6 defensive TDs this season, or is it 5 with one on special teams? Eddie Jackson has 3.

Don't do that. Rodgers is pretty good at not doing that.

Summary

Not turning the ball over, getting to the red zone, then putting the ball in Rodgers hands is the apparent way to get some points on the board. Easier said than done. They stop the run to set up aggressive and opportunistic pass defense while, in the last 7 weeks, not giving away the back end except on that one gadget play.

Given the patchwork O-Line, visions of sugar plums and ball control passing dancing through some heads is probably not going to get very far. Rodgers may have to break 'em down with the playground game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Cobb and Adams are on the field the playground game might just work enough at times

Born Sinner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers - 26/35 272 yards 2 TD/0 INT | 4 carries 45 yards
Aaron Jones - 16 carries - 89 yards - TD | 5 receptions 34 yards
Davante Adams - 9/100/2 TD
Randall Cobb - 7/72
Jimmy Graham - 2/24
Equanimeous St. Brown - 3/42

Clay Matthews - 5 solo tackles/2 assist/3 sacks
Jaire Alexander - 11 tackles/4 passes deflected/1 interception
Bashaud Breeland - 4 tackles/2 interceptions
Blake Martinez - 15 solo tackles/3 assist

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mitchell Trubisky - 18/33 182 yards 1 TD/3 INT | 8 carries 36 yards

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Green Bay Packers - 30
Chicago Bears - 16

D

Deleted member 6794

Brett Favre had a "tough personal matter", the death of his father, and he played and played well.

People tend to deal differently with personal matters, I definitely won't hold it against Breeland for him being away from the team. Especially as it seems he will be playing on Sunday.

I was thinking about this as well. I do prefer when the offense plays no huddle and if they see Mack leave the field to get a breather, that could be a time when they really want to play hurry up and keep him off the field.

The Packers should definitely use a no huddle offense occasionally against the Bears but it's close to impossible playing the majority of snaps in it.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers listed Bryan Bulaga as doubtful with Bashaud Breeland and Kenny Clark being questionable vs. the Bears.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would anyone have believed that before the season that it would be the Bears running away with the division with 3 games to play?

D

Deleted member 6794

If those three don't play, it could be a very long day.

Bulaga will definitely not play tomorrow, having me extremely concerned about Spriggs lining up against Mack.

The Packers can't afford to have Clark available but might be able to overcome Breeland not playing.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not sure how someone would believe that the Packers will be playing loose, with nothing to lose? Aren't they the ones with their playoff hopes on the line? Win or go home.

However, I'm pretty confident that we won't be seeing Danica wearing the same hat!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Reaction score
Would anyone have believed that before the season that it would be the Bears running away with the division with 3 games to play?
The Bears always had a fairly good defense.
They always were just a couple players away from playing great football, but they'll chock in the (2nd season) the play-off's.

To answer your question, I thought the Vikings, if not the Packers would take the division leader.

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure how anyone could think a team with a 4% chance to make the playoffs wouldn’t be playing “loose.”

Not exactly much pressure at this point.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the pressure was relieved when they moved on from Mike. Everyone was pushing so hard to get back to what they knew they were so good at and every week and kept just catching glimpses and the pressure would mount.

Reaction score
I think games like this, win or lose, without any play-off chances is going to tell a lot about next season on selecting a HC, plus putting a stamp on drafting effective players.

Let's just hope Mack and the Bears defense don't injure Rodgers in this game

H

HardRightEdge

Bulaga will definitely not play tomorrow, having me extremely concerned about Spriggs lining up against Mack.
That is a highly questionable proposition, isn't it? If the Bears go that route, at least it's from the front side and not the back. I suppose Spriggs best chance in that matchup is to set against the inside move and push him out to the edge. At least Rodgers would see him with the possibility to step up and escape. Or just get more than the usual roll lefts installed.

Baktiari shouls be wrapped in bubble paper and sequestered in a Brinks truck until kickoff.

Members online

Latest posts