Tearing it Down

captainWIMM

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Part of the reason it hasn't worked all that well throwing short is the same reason we've had troubles all over this year. Up until the past 2 weeks our line play has been terrible. It's not hard for teams to play defense against us. They've been lining up and attacking, flying downhill to the LOS and to the QB. Nobody has had to respect anything past 7 yards because we had nobody to catch it or run with it if they happened to protect long enough to try and complete something there.

If things keep trending the way they are on the Oline and offensively, it might be too little too late, but they'll start connecting on these a bit more regularly and this offense will go from everyone saying, WTF was that?, to WTF was that! I'd really like to see how this team can finish with this oline combination, Cobb healthy and Doubs back and healthy and Watson of course. If nothing else they set themselves up for next year and get some hard learning lumps in a tough season.

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind Jones being targeted down the field more often but his numbers on throws that travelled at least 10 yards in the air hasn't been that impressive entering this season either as he caught only nine balls on 23 targets.
I agree. I don’t expect him to be a full fledged receiver either (10+ yard targets should be limited for the vast majority of RB’s). What I’m trying to say is that I think There’s a sweet spot in the middle of yards per target. #33 is currently at a career low (omitting a limit rookie season) in Y/Tgt (5.1) this season. That needs to be in that 7-8 yard range to maximize his production. Going over 10+ yards is really going to lower your catch % drastically and obviously shorter passes increase catch %, but reduce net production.

As eluded to in that article I posted. #33 is getting too much stuff thrown well behind the LOS. We should consider a better balance of intermediate throws past the LOS.
Find the Maximized Equilibrium point and design more plays within its shadow

Last edited:

captainWIMM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. I don’t expect him to be a full fledged receiver either (10+ yard targets should be limited for the vast majority of RB’s). What I’m trying to say is that I think There’s a sweet spot in the middle of yards per target. #33 is currently at a career low (omitting a limit rookie season) in Y/Tgt (5.1) this season. That needs to be in that 7-8 yard range to maximize his production. Going over 10+ yards is really going to lower your catch % drastically and obviously shorter passes increase catch %, but reduce net production.

As eluded to in that article I posted. #33 is getting too much stuff thrown well behind the LOS. We should consider a better balance of intermediate throws past the LOS.

It's true that Jones is targeted behind the LOS at a higher percentage than every other running back with at least 14 targets aside of Jonathan Taylor and Kenyan Drake this season. I agree with Mondio that opponents being able to put more defenders close to the LOS has factored into that as well as his drop in yards per target though.

Reaction score
It's true that Jones is targeted behind the LOS at a higher percentage than every other running back with at least 14 targets aside of Jonathan Taylor and Kenyan Drake this season. I agree with Mondio that opponents being able to put more defenders close to the LOS has factored into that as well as his drop in yards per target though.
We used to be good at letting teams over pursue and then dumping the ball off short dump passes and letting the RB fight for a couple yards for a 4-5 yard play.

Now we throw it -2 yards behind LOS and they get accosted by 9 in the box before they see daylight. Against faster Defenses the -2 throw doesn’t work unless you’ve got A+ blocking. We watch several OL miss key blocks and TE’s give up on a block before the play is finished. It’s perplexing to say the least.

It seems until we start hitting more intermediate to longer throws, opponents will just stack the box and I don’t blame them.

Last edited:

captainWIMM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now we throw it -2 yards behind LOS and they get accosted by 9 in the box before they see daylight. Against faster Defenses the -2 throw doesn’t work unless you’ve got A+ blocking. We watch several OL miss key blocks and TE’s give up on a block before the play is finished. It’s perplexing to say the least.

It seems until we start hitting more intermediate to longer throws, opponents will just stack the box and I don’t blame them.

It's actually not perplexing that it's tough to have success running the ball or throwing short passes to the running backs as long as opponents are able to load the box because they don't have to respect intermediate or deep throws.

With Watson having made some impressive plays over the past two games there's some hope that might change moving forward.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's actually not perplexing that it's tough to have success running the ball or throwing short passes to the running backs as long as opponents are able to load the box because they don't have to respect intermediate or deep throws.

With Watson having made some impressive plays over the past two games there's some hope that might change moving forward.
Ever think if that first pass of the season in Minnesota had been caught teams might just have had a little more respect for our long game?

Reaction score
Ever think if that first pass of the season in Minnesota had been caught teams might just have had a little more respect for our long game?
Yes. That drop seemed to take us into a different trajectory until a week or two ago. I'm not trying to get down on #9, but getting an A+ on your first exam just makes everything flow smoother for the rest of the semester

captainWIMM

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's possible Watson catching that ball would have made a difference. Teams need to make plays consistently for a defense to respect it though.

Members online