David Bakhtiari - Offensive Tackle

Reaction score
Of course there always are a few that make it happen, however I would argue it is very naive to expect that from a rookie given the majority of all WR rookies don't...ever.
I edited my post #599 directly above to be more fair and include the first 6 WR drafted last season combined to get a nice sample size.

No that’s not some anomaly. Take a look at the season before that in 2020 (the last 2 drafts). The top 6 Rookies put up 4,908yds and 24Td’s

So over the last 2 Drafts. The top 12 put up an average of 847 yards 5TD each in their rookie seasons. I didn’t exclude 1 player in a consecutive 6

Again. Us Packer fans can be a little timid because we’ve been shell shocked with adversity! Christian can put up 1,000 yards alone (if he catches on quickly).

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I edited my post #599 to be more fair and include the first 6 WR drafted last season combined to get a nice sample size.

No that’s not some anomaly. Take a look at the season before that in 2020 (the last 2 drafts). The top 6 Rookies put up 4,908yds and 24Td’s

So over the last 2 Drafts. The top 12 put up an average of 847 yards 5TD each in their rookie seasons. I didn’t exclude 1 player

I'm talking all rookies. Not just the Day 1s and some early day 2s.

Reaction score
Ok that’s fine. Certainly the point I’m making is about the 2022 season and OUR draft class.
I’ll just leave you with this in a David Bakhtiari thread to tie the theme together. :whistling:Don’t be surprised to see 1 of our top 2 Rookies go 750 neighborhood and make it look easy.
If Bak plays? Up that to the 847 5TD average above

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok that’s fine. Certainly the point I’m making is about the 2022 season and OUR draft class.
I’ll just leave you with this in a David Bakhtiari thread to tie the theme together. :whistling:Don’t be surprised to see 1 of our top 2 Rookies go 750 neighborhood and make it look easy.
If Bak plays? Up that to the 847 5TD average above

Oh dang...you mean each separately or together? I do envision a chance together but separately.....only in a world where Watkins and Cobb both suffer through tons of not being able to play.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. what makes Doubs so intriguing is he essentially buys us time with Watson. We don't need to rush Christian back if we have a Rookie step up in his place (Doubs) So this minor surgery has actually been a relative blessing. I still think we will see plenty of Watson, just maybe not as much the first 1-2 quarters of the season. We thought he was the best WR left that was not a Day 1 lock, so that tells me we expect big things and we will try to get Christian involved on a regular basis sometime this se
Of course there always are a few that make it happen, however I would argue it is very naive to expect that from a rookie given the majority of all WR rookies don't...ever.
Guys like Justin Jefferson and J'Marr Chase are rare - WRs that do great in year one. Even the best WRs from the best schools haven't been facing the kind of CBs in the NFL. Yeah I hope Watson and Doubs combined put up 2,000 yards and 12 TDs. I'm just not counting on it. It takes time for the QB to get synced up with new guys. At least the QB is Rodgers, about as good as there is in the NFL.

Reaction score
Oh dang...you mean each separately or together? I do envision a chance together but separately.....only in a world where Watkins and Cobb both suffer through tons of not being able to play.
I don’t see Watkins as an entrenched #2 WR, he’s too risky injury wise.
I think he’s more our Safety net in case our Rookies don’t rise this season, which is unlikely. So I think we’re surpass that 750 mark pretty easily.
I have Watson as a 650+ WR
(40X16.5)
I have Doubs as a 300+ alternate.
(20X14.5)
Keep in mind
1. It’s a 17 game season
2. We have an injury prone WR2
3. We have a HOF QB
4. We have no true WR1 on this roster

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t see Watkins as an entrenched #2 WR, he’s too risky injury wise.
I think he’s more our Safety net in case our Rookies don’t rise this season, which is unlikely. So I think we’re surpass that 750 mark pretty easily.
I have Watson as a 650+ WR
I have Doubs as a 300+ alternate.

Keep in mind
1. It’s a 17 game season
2. We have an injury prone WR2
3. We have a HOF QB
4. We have no true WR1 on this roster

We have a similar mindset to what Watson/Doubs might produce.

Reaction score
I keep erasing my remarks about David because I don’t want to jinx him! :eek:

I do think that if a moderator could find it in their heart to rename the title of this thread to something more appropriate like
“David Bakhtiari is an unknown”
he’d instantly heal in Moses miracle form. I think saying “he’s back” has been a curse on Packer Nation!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m going to disagree here. Let’s just go back to the last draft and sneak peek at the first 6 WR drafted just last season in consecutive order

5,256 yards 34 TD’s

If your expecting 200-300 yards that’s well into Day 3 guys (or later Day 2 in an entrenched deep WR room)

I predict a Romeo/Watson combo could surpass 900+yards 7TD+ in GB. It’s all about opportunities and when have we ever had a WR room so wide open? In the past our Day 2-3 selections were covered up by entrenched Veterans at the top of the WR room. I think you are shooting low because we’ve recently missed at WR and on top of that they were relatively “buried”
None of those guys had a QB named Aaron Rodgers. Prepare yourself to see Lazard, Cobb, Tonyan/Deguara and Jones/Dillon get targeted more than the others. Especially in the first month of the season.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I keep erasing my remarks about David because I don’t want to jinx him! :eek:

I do think that if a moderator could find it in their heart to rename the title of this thread to something more appropriate like
“David Bakhtiari is an unknown”
he’d instantly heal in Moses miracle form. I think saying “he’s back” has been a curse on Packer Nation!
I've already renamed it once, but I'll do it again.

D

Deleted member 6794

Them coming off PUP signals the most likely thing is that the team feels they will for sure be playing at some point in the first four weeks of the regular season...if not they would have kept on PUP, because they can be there for four weeks without eating a roster spot off the 53. This tells me they are confident they will be able to play at some point in there...Watson we all knew would be it was just a minor operation. Tonyan and Jenkins have looked good in rehab group work and when I saw a couple drills that both were exploding and twisting it confirmed they both were right there and nearly ready.

Don't forget that the Packers could still put either Jenkins or Tonyan on injured reserve after they have made the initial 53 and they would be able to play after four weeks as well.

Doubs in zero way, and as most here know BIG fan, has leap frogged Watkins before the first gate of the season has even opened.

I highly doubt Doubs has moved past Watkins on the depth chart at this point.

We know Rodgers doesn't tolerate routes run incorrectly or dropped balls.

Rodgers has no issue with an occasional drop. A receiver will end up in his doghouse by running wrote routes in a heartbeat though.

You need to make a difference when talking about the expectation for an early second round pick like Watson or a seventh rounder like Toure though.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You need to make a difference when talking about the expectation for an early second round pick like Watson or a seventh rounder like Toure though.

Oh absolutely - and I believe teem need also plays a factor.

Example...my expectations (not projections) given Green Bay's roster (RBs, TEs, WRs) I would hope to see the following if Watson and Doubs are both active all season and healthy:

Watson Early Day 2 - I'd want him to minimum flirt or break that 50/500/5 line personally. To me unless a team has a rookie that they have walk right into the WR1 spot that is my solid rookie contributor line for a rookie.

Doubs 4th rounder - 30/300/3 line. This is my Day2/Day3 type hopes for rookie wideouts.

The crazy thing is I think it is becoming more and more clear Doubs given the chances will deliver that much...I just don't know if he will have the chances however if Lazard is what many in house (including Aaron) think he is, and if Cobb and Watkins are healthy for the most part.

D

Deleted member 6794

Oh absolutely - and I believe teem need also plays a factor.

Example...my expectations (not projections) given Green Bay's roster (RBs, TEs, WRs) I would hope to see the following if Watson and Doubs are both active all season and healthy:

Watson Early Day 2 - I'd want him to minimum flirt or break that 50/500/5 line personally. To me unless a team has a rookie that they have walk right into the WR1 spot that is my solid rookie contributor line for a rookie.

Doubs 4th rounder - 30/300/3 line. This is my Day2/Day3 type hopes for rookie wideouts.

The crazy thing is I think it is becoming more and more clear Doubs given the chances will deliver that much...I just don't know if he will have the chances however if Lazard is what many in house (including Aaron) think he is, and if Cobb and Watkins are healthy for the most part.

I think the rookie receivers could get a ton of opportunities this season because of a lack of talent ahead of them on the depth chart. They have to take advantage of it though.

Overall I believe your expectations are pretty realistic although Doubs might be able to significantly better numbers if stops dropping the ball.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I edited my post #599 directly above to be more fair and include the first 6 WR drafted last season combined to get a nice sample size.

So over the last 2 Drafts. The top 12 put up an average of 847 yards 5TD each in their rookie seasons. I didn’t exclude 1 player in a consecutive 6

Again. Us Packer fans can be a little timid because we’ve been shell shocked with adversity! Christian can put up 1,000 yards alone (if he catches on quickly).
Did Watson ever put up 1,000 yards in a college season?

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing I've noticed is that Amari Rodgers seems to be slipping down in the pecking order of WRs. It appears they're trying to resurrect his value by making him a return man. That said, I see Toure and doubs getting reps back there as well. Interestingly enough, I see Doubs running with the first team as a #2 and #3, more and more. If he quits dropping balls, he's gonna be a good one.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing I've noticed is that Amari Rodgers seems to be slipping down in the pecking order of WRs. It appears they're trying to resurrect his value by making him a return man. That said, I see Toure and doubs getting reps back there as well. Interestingly enough, I see Doubs running with the first team as a #2 and #3, more and more. If he quits dropping balls, he's gonna be a good one.
I was impressed with how he could get open against decent corners so early. I was less enthused with his lack of clean catching. All of them seemed to move rather than be secured quickly. It really cost us on one.

Like you said, he cleans that up and quits the drops he’s going to be good.

D

Deleted member 6794

No, Watson put up his best season last year with 801 receiving yards. In total he had only 105 receptions for 2,140 yards (20.38 yards per catch) and 14 TDs in four season with North Dakota State. You need to realize the Bison are a run heavy team which doesn't throw the ball all that often though.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, Watson put up his best season last year with 801 receiving yards. In total he had only 105 receptions for 2,140 yards (20.38 yards per catch) and 14 TDs in four season with North Dakota State. You need to realize the Bison are a run heavy team which doesn't throw the ball all that often though.
You made a good point on receiver yardage in college. It can be deceptive, if you go by it to judge talent. In college, a running team won't get the ball out to receivers nearly as often as they need to generate huge numbers. You need to go more by the player attributes. All too often we miss this in our personal assessments of players.

D

Deleted member 6794

You made a good point on receiver yardage in college. It can be deceptive, if you go by it to judge talent. In college, a running team won't get the ball out to receivers nearly as often as they need to generate huge numbers. You need to go more by the player attributes. All too often we miss this in our personal assessments of players.

That's especially something to consider when talking about Watson as the Bison ran the ball on 70.6% of the offensive plays during his four year tenure with the team.

Reaction score
Yes. 1 season out of 2 full seasons. The other he finished at 964

Keep in mind he was in a Run heavy Offense and so his production was not exclusive to Receptions. He’s actually a really good blocker. He was a contributor on KR and Running also.
He rushed 49 times in his last 3 seasons for nearly 400 yards (392) and 2TD.
He also added another 15 KR for 418 yards 2TD in that time.

So technically he surpassed 1,000+ production once. However he surpassed 964+production in 2019,2021

Obviously 2020 was a Covid season and many Colleges shut down. He also redshirted his Freshman year.

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just think you guys are asking for an awful lot of him this year. You tell me to take into account the run heavy offense which is a great point, but I wonder if you take into account the competition he played against enough.

Reaction score
I just think you guys are asking for an awful lot of him this year. You tell me to take into account the run heavy offense which is a great point, but I wonder if you take into account the competition he played against enough.
True. But then why did he stand out at Senior Bowl? He was running around the best players in the FBS. That’s not my opinion either, that’s common knowledge in the sporting world. Here was the very first article I searched on it

Also, let’s be frank here, NFL scouts don’t miss locale, his early 2nd Round grade was him sliding some due to FCS, had he done those 1,000 area stats in the FBS and he’s an 10.0 RAS (9.96 adjusted)??
We all know in 2022 an FBS WR of his caliber would’ve went much earlier, we all saw the anomaly at WR in the draft. Wasn’t it an NFL record at WR? I think so. Huge demand.

His success will be determined by David Bakhtiari only. If David does not play ship this kid out

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you guys keep this up, we're going to have to rename this thread AGAIN

Latest posts