Davante Adams

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Curious to what you guys think. Should we have picked up Borland in the 2nd over Adams based on his production for San Fran?

I'm leaning towards no as without Adams we probably lose this game and ILB has been okay since Clay moved inside.
I really, really wanted Borland but I'm happy we got Adams. This kid is going to be a stud receiver.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
If you watch Davante Adams in college then you will see that he made Derek Carr and not vice versa. I am very confident in him and love him as our #3.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Here is what I said about Davante Adams pre draft

"Davante Adams

Pros

• Impressive stats for his 2 seasons

• Durable

• Good separation skills

• Good hands

• Can make first guy miss

• Can box out corner backs

• Good at getting off the press

• Not afraid to catch over the middle

• Good focus when catching
Cons

• Inconsistent blocking effort

• Needs to learn to run more routes (ran a lot of screens for Carr)

• Will not beat many people when sprinting down field

Davante Adams
is a really good receiver. Unfortunately
Derek Carr
and his screen happy ways didn’t give us enough tape of Adams
going more than 5 yards down field and catching the ball. He needs to learn more routes and he won’t be beating many corner backs in foot races but otherwise he is an awesome receiver.

Proof that I said this before is HERE

Legalizeit

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams had a great game! One terrible drop that almost coated us the game, but it didn't, so he can be forgiven.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not so sure Borland would have played nearly so well in GB as he has in SF. I don't know what it is there... scheme? coaching? other great ones to learn from? idk, but something in that SF water produces ILBs.
Borland is an instinctive football player no matter what team he plays for. You could see it from the first time he stepped on the field his freshman year at Wisconsin. Kid was born to play football.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Curious to what you guys think. Should we have picked up Borland in the 2nd over Adams based on his production for San Fran?

I'm leaning towards no as without Adams we probably lose this game and ILB has been okay since Clay moved inside.
I think they're both going to be successful. Imo, the contract situations with our WR's and the tremendous draft depth at WR dictated the pick of Adams. If Borland had been available in round 3, I think it's likely that Thompson would have picked him but that is pure speculation.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams seemed to start off ok. He got fed plenty of looks considering he was a rookie WR in GB. Enough looks to show us all the amazing size, speed, strength ratio he has. I could see him big big numbers for us some day...

I fear all those wrong routes. and more recently some dropped passes. i missed the bucs game, but i read he stunk up the whole stadium. And has been basicly invisible since... Makes me wonder if he is on the shelf til his 2nd season. Its crunch time now. No time for mistakes.

Next year we will have Adams/ Janis coming into their second seasons... should be very interesting...

OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams seemed to start off ok. He got fed plenty of looks considering he was a rookie WR in GB. Enough looks to show us all the amazing size, speed, strength ratio he has. I could see him big big numbers for us some day...

I fear all those wrong routes. and more recently some dropped passes. i missed the bucs game, but i read he stunk up the whole stadium. And has been basicly invisible since... Makes me wonder if he is on the shelf til his 2nd season. Its crunch time now. No time for mistakes.

Next year we will have Adams/ Janis coming into their second seasons... should be very interesting...

I'm not sure what happened with Adams. He had a great game against New England, seemed like a real breakout game. Then he just fell off the map. Had a couple of killer drops against Buffalo, and I think Rodgers has lost some trust in him. What worries me is what happens if we face a team that shuts down Cobb and Nelson(Seahawks maybe?). Who steps up then?

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. i didnt check the stats, but it seemed the TEs have been more active since Adams fell off. I remember Quarless having a good game, the Rodgers had a good one. Good compared to zilcho, which we what we were getting from them earlier in the year... Or so it seemed to me.
I like it. TEs are great dual threats. Protect the QB, and make blocks for the RB. Or go out for a pass...

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure what happened with Adams. He had a great game against New England, seemed like a real breakout game. Then he just fell off the map. Had a couple of killer drops against Buffalo, and I think Rodgers has lost some trust in him. What worries me is what happens if we face a team that shuts down Cobb and Nelson(Seahawks maybe?). Who steps up then?

Bingo. That is potentially a big problem. Adams seemed to have a breakout game against the Pats, but since he dropped that TD pass late in that game, he's done nothing.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been calling it all year, Adams has what it takes to be a number 1 receiver. He creates separation he demands respect.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
That game yesterday shows he is going to be the #1 WR in the future. He has stepped up when it counted yesterday and made some great stuff.

Hes going to be more of a beast with Age and experience.

P.S 300th Post....

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The kid stepped up big time yesterday. You could tell he had that fire and competitiveness in his belly when he was pushing Dallas defenders off of him after the catch and fighting for more yards. I was very impressed especially towards the end of the first half when he made the catch setting up the field goal.He got some yards and went down so we could call TO. Sharp young man with a good sense of the situation like in Miami

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to Admit, i was cringing on some of those catches, as soon as I seen #17. He caught game changers 3 or 4 times down the stretch. By the end I had forgot all the bad timing. the missed routes. And the dropped passes. Adams looked dominant against the 1 on 1...

Its going to be fun watching this young man evolve. We have Jordy locked up for a long time. Would be a shame to lose Cobb. If we can sign Cobb.... Theres a chance next year when Adams breaks out. Thats Nelson Adams on the outside Cobb floating like a butterfly from slot to the backfield and all around. Lacy a fixture in the backfield. Thats 4 skill players that can slice and dice any and every defense in the NFL... Im also extremely confident Richard Rodgers big thick frame will playing at pro-bowl level in no time. Not pro bowl numbers being #5 option every down. But when we need a block or a red zone TD, he will be there. Soft hands and agile for such a big dude. And that catch down the middle a half dozen games ago(or more) reminded me very much of the old Favre to Chamura connection. Rodgers pulled that in right over the shoulder, and kept on going. That play should be brought back for Richard Rodgers... Quarless too. He looks great! We can play two TE set now. Richard Rodgers has great upside IMO. As much as Adams IMO.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All this until next week when he drops two passes and misses three routes. then he will be a wasted pick again.

OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The first time I "called" Adams out on this thread, he had a huge game against the Patriots. I did it again last week, and he had a huge game against the Cowboys. This seems to be a trend. So I'm going to call him out again. Adams, we need you to step it up and have a huge game. We're counting on you.

Hincha

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The first time I "called" Adams out on this thread, he had a huge game against the Patriots. I did it again last week, and he had a huge game against the Cowboys. This seems to be a trend. So I'm going to call him out again. Adams, we need you to step it up and have a huge game. We're counting on you.

Can you call him out Saturday late or Sunday early again in time for the game :D

Hincha

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Adams... overall 2014 draft could end up being really good one. Dix, Adams, R. Rodgers, Linsley could all be long time contributors.

Now if next year Janis, Abby, Bradford, Thorton or Goodson can step up and show something could be great draft.

Reaction score
I keep recalling watching him live at Lambeau during the Jets home opener... he was a relative unknown at that time and he displayed a good consistent balance of catching and finishing off the plays. Although Jordy had the monster game with the double TE set single WR 60+ yard TD momentum play. I was most surprised by Davante during that week 2 match. He looks bigger and stronger live than on film.. he reminds me very much of a large version of Donald Driver.. and he may very well be the "X" factor against Seattle. Davante is clearly a better athlete IMO than Boykin and he produces a significant threat now that his confidence level is soaring.

H

HardRightEdge

Here's an idle diversion:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Now the Packers have to put those hops and body control to work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts