Davante Adams contract situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Rodgers is an MVP without Adams and I don't think Adams becomes this great of a WR without Rodgers. So yes, it was fun to watch them both.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Yes, if Rodgers' #1 receiver was Lazard, there's little chance he'd be the MVP. We could do the same exercise with every MVP QB in NFL history (except Lamar Jackson)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, if Rodgers' #1 receiver was Lazard, there's little chance he'd be the MVP. We could do the same exercise with every MVP QB in NFL history (except Lamar Jackson)

However I truly think without Adams - Lazard does put up Boykin like numbers, he isn't as bad as many think and Rodgers is good at making WRs better when he actually has to.

Reaction score
Maybe someone already posted this, but good lord....this is just F'ing crazy! We were all worried he wanted to be paid more than the skewed yearly amount that Hopkins got. Well, he wants a lot more than that. $30M per year! :eek:

He’s not worth $30mil imo (I know you don’t think that)
I’d rather trade him and draft early, let’s get one of the top 2-3 WR and save $25mil per season. Davante is worth what someone is willing to pay, yet without a top 5 type QB tossing him the ball he’ll likely regress 200-300 yards from 2021 and a TD or 2. His true value (not what someone will pay but effect wise) is about $14-$18mil.
As an example there are too many other options with $30mil. You could go get 3 really good Receivers and blend their strengths. Also if 1 went down you wouldn’t be a lost puppy. Davante is only human and he’s 1 injury from crushing his assumed value to pieces.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He’s not worth $30mil imo. I’d rather trade him and draft early

No receiver is, shoot I am not a fan of paying a WR $20M. Crazy thing is if Hopkins got nearly 28/year...the league is saying Davante is worth every bit of 29 or 30/year

Reaction score
He’s not worth $30mil imo (I know you don’t think that)
I’d rather trade him and draft early, let’s get one of the top 2-3 WR and save $25mil per season. Davante is worth what someone is willing to pay, yet without a top 5 type QB tossing him the ball he’ll likely regress 200-300 yards from 2021 and a TD or 2. His true value (not what someone will pay but effect wise) is about $14-$18mil.
As an example there are too many other options with $30mil. You could go get 3 really good Receivers and blend their strengths. Also if 1 went down you wouldn’t be a lost puppy. Davante is only human and he’s 1 injury from crushing his assumed value to pieces.
Blending of WRs... Sounds like a team that is doing well right now. (Chase, Higgins, Boyd).

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Blending of WRs... Sounds like a team that is doing well right now. (Chase, Higgins, Boyd).

Two of them are on rookie deals still. Boyd is mos tlikely gonna be cut/traded or released this off season or next as there is nearly $8M to be saved and almost no dead cap if moved on from. Exceptionally good deal for the Bengals they got out of him....his cap hit for 2022 and 2023 is still not bad at only $10M but with Chase and Higgins no doubt taking more targets - it wouldn't be dumb for them to move on and spend the $8M saved in a position not stacked

Reaction score
Two of them are on rookie deals still. Boyd is mos tlikely gonna be cut/traded or released this off season or next as there is nearly $8M to be saved and almost no dead cap if moved on from. Exceptionally good deal for the Bengals they got out of him....his cap hit for 2022 and 2023 is still not bad at only $10M but with Chase and Higgins no doubt taking more targets - it wouldn't be dumb for them to move on and spend the $8M saved in a position not stacked
I had Boyd in my fantasy league this year. Guy is a stud and his numbers would be even better had he not been with two other young studs in Higgins and Chase.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We've seen that a good defense can limit Adams because the other options on the team aren't anything to be scared of. A team like the Bengals or Rams, with 2-3 options makes it much more difficult to shut down just one guy because the other receivers can pick up the slack. I think that's been a limiting factor of the Packers' offense in the last two playoff losses; if Adams gets doubled then the Packers are relying on unreliable players with fairly limited upside to pick up the slack. The 49ers were able to focus on Adams and the run game and that shut down the entire offense because the only other options were Lazard or Deguara, not exactly the guys you want to rely on in January.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
No receiver is, shoot I am not a fan of paying a WR $20M. Crazy thing is if Hopkins got nearly 28/year...the league is saying Davante is worth every bit of 29 or 30/year
The thing is, Hopkins contract wasn't really "normal". It was an extension that added to the three years left on his current contract, the extension gives him $94 million over five seasons for an average of $18.8 million per year. He was being underpaid, so this was the Cardinals keeping him happy. People are looking at the 2 years that were added and that money was $54.5M, which really is not a per year amount.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
We've seen that a good defense can limit Adams because the other options on the team aren't anything to be scared of. A team like the Bengals or Rams, with 2-3 options makes it much more difficult to shut down just one guy because the other receivers can pick up the slack. I think that's been a limiting factor of the Packers' offense in the last two playoff losses; if Adams gets doubled then the Packers are relying on unreliable players with fairly limited upside to pick up the slack.
Yup and I have been saying this for years. Average to below average receivers do not make the Packers a multidimensional passing team/threat. Rodgers and Adams are a lethal combination, but they would have been even better with a better TE and WR. All one has to do is look at the 49'ers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I just can't foresee a situation where a team is so desperate to have a #1 WR that they are willing to pay $30 million a year for it.
Well if Adams leaves, the Packers might be just that team....but only able to pay $3M for their #1 receiver.

Reaction score
Well if Adams leaves, the Packers might be just that team....but only able to pay $3M for their #1 receiver.
No problemo. Just draft another Deebo Samuel at #33 and pay him 1.9mil per season! :whistling::whistling:take the rest and throw a totally rad team party. Maybe invite some good College Kickers so Captain can interview them:roflmao:
I’m sorry, that was uncalled for

Last edited:

Big L

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it’s keep both or get rid of both. Knowing how past front offices worked, I believe they have a plan in place if AR wants to wrap it up or hit the road - or at least they better have a plan in place - lol

If both AR and DA are traded which I think is about a 35-40% possibility, it’s to the same team and my best guess in compensation is a combination of at least one player, maybe two, and six draft picks with three being first rounders.

Hows that for throwing it out there - lol

Big L

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it’s keep both or get rid of both. Knowing how past front offices worked, I believe they have a plan in place if AR wants to wrap it up or hit the road - or at least they better have a plan in place - lol

If both AR and DA are traded which I think is about a 35-40% possibility, it’s to the same team and my best guess in compensation is a combination of at least one player, maybe two, and six draft picks with three being first rounders.

Hows that for throwing it out there - lol
It may be an additional player or two in place of say a first rounder and another pick as well

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I highly doubt it. I don't see them paying any WR $30 million.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Excuse my French, but DA can **** right off. I dont feel even in the slightest compelled to cling on to him if he demands such an obscene amount of money; if that means we trade away Arod, so be it.

Id love to see DA sign with a team not being led by a top 5 QB and have him fall off of his high horse. I dont even really believe he sees himself as the best WR in the league, he just knows this is the year that he has to cash in as he will never put up these numbers again. Plus, he uses the whole drama of his butt buddy Arod (everyone likes to cozy up with the great Arod) to justify his hard line stance. **** off

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Excuse my French, but DA can **** right off. I dont feel even in the slightest compelled to cling on to him if he demands such an obscene amount of money; if that means we trade away Arod, so be it.

Id love to see DA sign with a team not being led by a top 5 QB and have him fall off of his high horse. I dont even really believe he sees himself as the best WR in the league, he just knows this is the year that he has to cash in as he will never put up these numbers again. Plus, he uses the whole drama of his butt buddy Arod (everyone likes to cozy up with the great Arod) to justify his hard line stance. **** off

I get this sentiment 100%. I've declined any desire to bring back Aaron due to the fiscal irresponsibility I feel it would cause and detrimental impacts forward - but paying a WR that type of money arguably would be worse than anything we decide this off season...

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
LOL...and some posters here were telling me I was crazy several months ago, when I said it probably wouldn't be a smart move to resign Davante at the kind of money he wanted. Back then, I think it was rumored to be around $25M/year. I also didn't want the Packers resigning Davante, if they didn't know what AR was going to do. Now, I can't see resigning him, even if AR stays.

I just can't justify it, whether we are cap strapped or not. No matter how you slice it, low cap now, bigger cap in yrs. 3-5, that kind of hit on your cap is going to effect your ability to keep the rest of the roster in good shape.

A lot of the cap issue for the Packers was created due to them planning around "non-covid" predicted cap numbers, but this was a bad time to be wrong on those numbers. It was also a bad time to be a bit fiscally irresponsible for overspending on free agents and new contracts.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL...and some posters here were telling me I was crazy several months ago,

If it helps, I wake up every day and call you crazy. Doesn't matter what you have or have not said.

when I said it probably wouldn't be a smart move to resign Davante at the kind of money he wanted. Back then, I think it was rumored to be around $25M/year.

Hard to see what ends up happening. For all we know, DA is grand standing a bit. Ask for the whole solar system, end up with the moon kind of thing.

My hope and expectation is that cool head can have a talk, realize the D-Hop contract isn't "really" a 27/year deal and an acceptable compromise is reached. I will say I'm fine with something in the 25 million range with the cap set to jump back up in 2023.

that kind of hit on your cap is going to effect your ability to keep the rest of the roster in good shape.

I don't think the cap (usually, anyway) is that impactful to keeping the roster together. The is of course a limit (and I'm struggling to articulate where that limit is), I think it's a symptom of having good players and time.

Quite simply, the draft is the backbone of team building. If you are winning, you presumably have good players. As a result, they get paid. As you are winning, you are drafting later. As such, you end up drafting worse players. Overtime, your good players get old and they are no longer worth their deals and you don't have the up and comers to replace them.

For the Packers and 2022...I think the only players that are a true cap casualty risk, which I'll define as "cuts because you cannot afford them," would be Billy Turner, Amos, and P Smith. Z was injured all year, Crosby is getting old, Lowry hasn't been a consistent performer. They aren't getting cut because we cannot afford them, but they are no longer worth their cap hit.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't think the cap (usually, anyway) is that impactful to keeping the roster together. The is of course a limit (and I'm struggling to articulate where that limit is), I think it's a symptom of having good players and time.
Despite you being a member of my fan club, I have to disagree with this. The cap most certainly effects how many top players you can afford to keep on your roster. We are seeing it this offseason for not just the Packers, but the Saints and a few other teams.

Despite the cap biting the Packers in the *** this coming year, I love it and wouldn't want to see the NFL ever modify it like the NBA and definitely not like MLB. A small market team like GB would never be able to compete under those conditions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.