Davante Adams contract situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So some team will prove once again that you don’t need an MVP QB to win the Super Bowl… and 4 teams are proving you don’t need one to advance to the CCGs
At least 20 times since 1967 the MVP has appeared in the Super Bowl, so over 35% of the time. Don't care to cross-reference CCG participants to the MVP list but I'm willing to guess it's around 50%. Not necessary, but tends to lead to success. ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
At least 20 times since 1967 the MVP has appeared in the Super Bowl, so over 35% of the time. Don't care to cross-reference CCG participants to the MVP list but I'm willing to guess it's around 50%. Not necessary, but tends to lead to success. ;)
Thanks, I had a hunch, but didn't want to do the legwork to once again disapprove a worthless claim that someone was trying to use to make a damning statement about Rodgers with.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Help me out here. First, I see

So some team will prove once again that you don’t need an MVP QB to win the Super Bowl… and 4 teams are proving you don’t need one to advance to the CCGs

then, I see

At least 20 times since 1967 the MVP has appeared in the Super Bowl, so over 35% of the time. Don't care to cross-reference CCG participants to the MVP list but I'm willing to guess it's around 50%. Not necessary, but tends to lead to success.

which tells me that way more times than not, an MVP isn't needed, and then I see

Thanks, I had a hunch, but didn't want to do the legwork to once again disapprove a worthless claim that someone was trying to use to make a damning statement about Rodgers with.
which apparently says that, although the numbers support the original contention, you feel that they actually disprove it. Need a hand in seeing how you got there.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

then, I see

which tells me that way more times than not, an MVP isn't needed, and then I see

which apparently says that, although the numbers support the original contention, you feel that they actually disprove it. Need a hand in seeing how you got there.

Numbers prove that an MVP is not necessary more than not to make it to the Super Bowl, while logic dictates that of course it doesn't do anything but increase your odds to get there with having one. At least that is how I see it.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

then, I see

lol… this stat it just the MVP for that year. It does not include all MVP caliber players invoved… For example…This year the 8 division round playoff teams included 6 MVP caliber Qbs (Rodgers, Mahomes ,Burrow,Brady, Allen, and Stafford… Plus Derrick Henry at RB for one team who also has been mentioned as an MVP candidate at times. So 5 of 8 teams had MVP caliber QBS… 6 if you include Stafford…. yeah that ones a stretch… the others not so much.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol… this stat it just the MVP for that year. It does not include all MVP caliber players invoved… For example…This year the 8 division round playoff teams included 6 MVP caliber Qbs (Rodgers, Mahomes ,Burrow,Brady, Allen, and Stafford… Plus Derrick Henry at RB for one team who also has been mentioned as an MVP candidate at times. So 5 of 8 teams had MVP caliber QBS… 6 if you include Stafford…. yeah that ones a stretch… the others not so much.
Hang on, be careful. It isn't fair to run a study analyzing past actual MVPs in one post and then downgrade that to just MVP caliber guys - those are two very different things.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Numbers prove that an MVP is not necessary more than not to make it to the Super Bowl, while logic dictates that of course it doesn't do anything but increase your odds to get there with having one. At least that is how I see it.
OK, no argument there. Just not the way it came across in previous posts.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I can do is work with the posts I'm given. Your contention certainly might be true, but it's defending a point that wasn't made.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hang on, be careful. It isn't fair to run a study analyzing past actual MVPs in one post and then downgrade that to just MVP caliber guys - those are two very different things.
I’m not running a study … I’m getting to the underlying point. The implication is that you can win a Super bowl without a great QB. This is obviously true… it is also unlikely. Half empty was trying to say that the above stat didn’t prove this because of the fact that there are many Superbowl winners that did not have that years MVP. I’m simply pointing out that it is actually very significant considering the fact that half of them were… Now you can look at the ones that didn’t and realize that they actually did in most cases have that top QB as well.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm glad you 3 figured this all out while I was looking for the key codes to the nukes.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not running a study … I’m getting to the underlying point. The implication is that you can win a Super bowl without a great QB. This is obviously true… it is also unlikely. Half empty was trying to say that the above stat didn’t prove this because of the fact that there are many Superbowl winners that did not have that years MVP. I’m simply pointing out that it is actually very significant considering the fact that half of them were… Now you can look at the ones that didn’t and realize that they actually did in most cases have that top QB as well.

No I know, I just don't think the two statements are interchangeable "Having an MVP" vs "Having an elite or great QB" are two very different things is all. I'm with you on if you don't have a QB that is minimum better than good, you're going to to need an elite Top 2 defense that is special to win a SB most likely.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course, but 3 occurs in the scenario Rodgers is leaving us, at that moment the tag/trade becomes an item to put on the table or not.
Right, I was just making a point that the Rodgers situation will not be a long drawn out process.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't think it will be for just another year though. I'd never advocate going for just 1 more year. It will be multiple years or he is gone.

Now you are sounding like my girlfriend, with all this talk about multiples!

Reaction score
I don't think it will be for just another year though. I'd never advocate going for just 1 more year. It will be multiple years or he is gone.
I think the 2021 season WAS the just 1 more year. I also don’t think Rodgers entertains anything less than essentially 3 years mostly guaranteed (possibly including the 2022 season) He’s very well aware this is his last big payday.

Last edited:

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVP “caliber”? There is only one MVP player each year (hence the word MOST) You make my point for me…. Of the 8 teams that played last week only 3 had a FORMER MVP… 2 lost… of the 4 playing THIS week there’s ONE…. Furthermore I’m thinking the congruity of Superbowls and MVPs was greater 50 years ago than it is recently but one thing is indisputeable… each year at LEAST 3 teams without the current MVP play for their conference championship…. I could add that if Aarrogant Rodgers is the MVP both teams moving on to the Super Bowl will not have the current MVP LOL

Reaction score
No I know, I just don't think the two statements are interchangeable "Having an MVP" vs "Having an elite or great QB" are two very different things is all. I'm with you on if you don't have a QB that is minimum better than good, you're going to to need an elite Top 2 defense that is special to win a SB most likely.
Actually, I think having a great running game and defense is by far the most important ingredient in a great football team (obviously you need balance, you can't be too weak at any position, but the vast majority of great teams, including most super bowl winners, have had a great defense and running game). There have been many more super bowl winners with a great defense/running game vs. those with an elite QB/passing game and an average defense/running game.

This isn't necessarily an endorsement of trading Rodgers, nor sacrificing the future to keep Rodgers's/Adams to go "all in" now. (I honestly don't know what we should do, it's not an easy decision)

I just think it's too bad that we finally get a great defense along with a great running game at the end of the Rodgers/Adams era (since the last super bowl win).

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Given GBs cap situation I would say the chances of us being able to tag him, sign him to a deal within 8 days and then trade him are infinitesimal. For one thing they need to free up a HUGE amount if cap space to tag him (the amount they’re over plus $20M), then they have to sign him trade him, to one would think a team of Adams choosing… why would Adams and his agent be part of this scheme? To me at this point Adams only real value to the Packers is watching where he signs to clarify where to trade Rodgers. Question: what if Rodgers does nothing? My understanding is his cap hit this year is so gigantic GB would essentially be FORCED to release him. Couldt teams just wait for that to happen vs giving away a raft of draft picks? Green Bay in my view gave Rodgers a loaded gun last year trusting he’d never use it. What if he does?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts