Davante Adams contract situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t care if we were the dolphins sitting on 67 million in cap, I am not paying a WR the money he is going to want and most likely receive.
I’m not saying I would pay it either but I’m not going to criticize or say “he can **** off” as the other poster put it. These players are looking to set themselves up for life as well as their descendants.

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The elephant in the room that no one will talk about because he's a good dude and it's not his fault is how much the Bahktiari extension has hurt us. We're going on two years of lighting that money on fire for no return on our investment when all along the Packers have found a way to make the line work without him. We're a better team with a healthy Bahk, clearly....but that deal has hurt and definitely affects these offseasons.
Agree with you 100%. After such a big injury I woul not extend Bakhtiaris contract.
Instead I spend that money on getting a second great WR and a TE if Rodgers stays.
If not then let all the vets go, keep talented young guys, clean up the cap and rebuild through draft over the next 2-3 years.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t care if we were the dolphins sitting on 67 million in cap, I am not paying a WR the money he is going to want and most likely receive.
I was going to say something similar…. I frankly I wouldn‘t pay that much for any non QB… and the QB better be pretty damned good.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The elephant in the room that no one will talk about because he's a good dude and it's not his fault is how much the Bahktiari extension has hurt us. We're going on two years of lighting that money on fire for no return on our investment when all along the Packers have found a way to make the line work without him. We're a better team with a healthy Bahk, clearly....but that deal has hurt and definitely affects these offseasons.

Over on the Bakhtiari thread there has been a TON of talk about this. Not an elephant on this board folks won’t talk about - we have been

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup you have to free up $65M to even TAG Adams
Franchise tag window is between 2/23-3/08/22. The cap resets on the 1st day of the league year which is March 16 at 4PM. GB can Franchise Tag Adams (or threaten to), work out a trade with another team before 3/16. IF they don't have a trade deal worked out by 3/16 3:59PM they can rescind the tag and Adams becomes a free agent... with no Adams-related cap issues. IF GB keeps the tag on him they would need to have the $20Mil (and other cuts made to be under the $208Mil cap) cleared by 4pm.
So why would a team send significant value to GB if they know GB is going to have to cut him loose? I mean if GB has cleared the cap space that would be known wouldnt it? Just as it would be known if they hadnt.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So why would a team send significant value to GB if they know GB is going to have to cut him loose? I mean if GB has cleared the cap space that would be known wouldnt it? Just as it would be known if they hadnt.

I think the only way this works is a team not wanting to bid against others for him and they get Aaron as well. I don’t see it happening though personally.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing needs to be done on the cap until 3/16. By then a deal would be worked out with another team. There is no "transparency" for other teams to know about another team's moves until they become legal with the league...on 3/16. Yes, DA would need to be tagged by 3/08 at the latest, but that's all anybody would know. If a team wants Adams they'll be in contact with Gute.

Reaction score
With Rodgers not wanting to be a part of a rebuild, has he defined what a "rebuild" is for him?
Rodgers reminds me of financial lending. They will offer an applicant with less than stellar credit or stability a higher interest rate, but then in the same breath say their payment to income (PTI) is over their threshold. If course it is! They caused it to be! Give them a better interest rate and they’d be in line with standard PTI criteria!

Rodgers is the primary reason we would look to rebuild (budget concerns) Take a paycut and we wouldn’t have to. However likely or unlikely that is, that part of this argument is secondary to his choice.

It’s our reality and it’s nothing personal if he’s unhappy with an offer. #12 100% holds the keys to his future and it’s not like we’re going to pay him $20mil etc.. or insult him. Whatever offer he gets is going to be a s-ton of $. Like 100Mil guaranteed + over X years.

We will know shortly if Aaron Rodgers is controlled by the $ or instead by his desire to remain a Packer.

If I were him I’d take a longer term restructured deal for around
28-32mil average and instead ask for “term” security through an aggressive guaranteed % commitment as a trade off. GBP would benefit by the longer 3-4 year guaranteed term as they get cost of living increases, plus they can also do the typical financial conversions and pay him a smidge less than his average for 1-2 seasons in order to balance the books

Last edited:

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing needs to be done on the cap until 3/16. By then a deal would be worked out with another team. There is no "transparency" for other teams to know about another team's moves until they become legal with the league...on 3/16. Yes, DA would need to be tagged by 3/08 at the latest, but that's all anybody would know. If a team wants Adams they'll be in contact with Gute.
I mean deals are announced other teams have a pretty good idea if not the EXACT situation Green Bay is in cap wise. They’re not going to pony up when they know GB has to release Adams “tomorrow” because they have no cap

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers reminds me of financial lending. They will offer an applicant with less than stellar credit or stability a higher interest rate, but then in the same breath say their payment to income (PTI) is over their threshold. If course it is! They caused it to be! Give them a better interest rate and they’d be in line with standard PTI criteria!

Rodgers is the primary reason we would look to rebuild (budget concerns) Take a paycut and we wouldn’t have to. However likely or unlikely that is, that part of this argument is secondary to his choice.

It’s our reality and it’s nothing personal if he’s unhappy with an offer. #12 100% holds the keys to his future and it’s not like we’re going to pay him $20mil etc.. or insult him. Whatever offer he gets is going to be a s-ton of $. Like 100Mil guaranteed + over X years.

We will know shortly if Aaron Rodgers is controlled by the $ or instead by his desire to remain a Packer.

If I were him I’d take a longer term restructured deal for around
28-32mil average and instead ask for “term” security through an aggressive guaranteed % commitment as a trade off. GBP would benefit by the longer 3-4 year guaranteed term as they get cost of living increases, plus they can also do the typical financial conversions and pay him a smidge less than his average for 1-2 seasons in order to balance the books
If I understand correctly that would give GB about $10M in cap relief, they need $46… so they still have to strip the roster and not sign Adams… which sounds an awful lot like “a rebuild”, which Arrogant says he’s not interested in

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean deals are announced other teams have a pretty good idea if not the EXACT situation Green Bay is in cap wise. They’re not going to pony up when they know GB has to release Adams “tomorrow” because they have no cap
The purpose of franchise tagging Adams is to get GB better compensation than just letting him walk away in free agency and getting an end of the 3rd round compensation pick in 2023. Anything better is a win. The compensation will range anywhere between that '23 3rd round comp pick and (2) 1st rounders (if a team offers DA a contract he thinks is good enough, he signs it, and GB does not match it). IF Gute's best offer is a 3rd & 5th in '22 then the tag & trade was worth it, hoping for decent offer AND DA is happy with his new deal.

Last edited:

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How nearsighted and ignorant of a statement. Very few players have the opportunity for generational wealth for their families. Of course they’re going to cash in when the opportunity presents itself. Adams has played like the best receiver in the league 2 straight years. He’s earned his right to be paid as such.

Take a second and strip yourself of your fandom before you belittle a player and their livelihood. Are you taking a pay cut at your job so that others less deserving can be paid more?

It is not Davante Adams fault Gutenkunst and Ball were irresponsible with the cap.
I dont think I was unclear in my post but ill repeat. I dont think he is the best WR in the league, I dont think he will be as good without a top 5 QB slinging him the ball, and he seems to use the whole Arod-Packer drama as a way to justify his hard line stance and increase his leverage. The last part is what irks me the wrong way. For a franchise that stood by him when many thought he should have been cut in the early years of his career (and where he prob would have in many teams), that is just disrespectful.

Of course, set up your family for generations to come (all though thats not a matter of getting at least 30M annually but whatever). Im not saying take a hometown discount. But demanding the most in the league AND THEN some is just a way of saying im gonna/want to leave without explicitly saying that.

Also, LOL at anyone thinking that because you are supposedly the best WR in the league you should automatically be be paid more than the highest earner. We can't consider that Hop's contracted is inflated as well?

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I don`t think I`ll ever understand all this Cap and free agency stuff.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams is one of the best, he's different than most of the big names IMO. He doesn't break tackles, he may have nice YAC numbers, I don't know, but it's not because he breaks tackles. He's not a burner, so when he catches one open, he's not really a threat to take it to the house at all. He's run down all the time.

What he is? Precise and consistent. He's smart, he knows the defense, he knows the offense and he knows his QB. and nobody in the league is better in the first 2 steps off the line than Adams. He can beat everybody right there, and if not, he can beat you in the 2 steps he takes when you're within 3 yards of him and he has really good body control to spin, make sideline catches, elevate etc.

He's a big play receiver without being much like the other big play receivers in the league. He's worth a pretty decent contract, but heck if I want to make a WR the highest paid at his position in the league just to keep him. Yes we'll miss him, but committing that money to that position is silly IMO. I don't think there is a more over valued position than WR.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see just how good Adams is, if Aaron Rodgers is not his QB. There is no doubt in my mind that Davante has been a great WR in the past 3 out of 4 years, one of the best that the Packers have had. However, some of that is due to not just having one of the best QB's throwing to him, but the chemistry which those 2 have established over 8 seasons. I would also attribute some of Adams success/numbers to him being not just the primary receiver since 2018, but by far and away the best receiver on the team. This has created the situation that he has become Rodgers primary and sometimes only target, for the good and the bad that it may have created.

I am not trying to say that Davante's success was mostly due to #12, but I think if 2021 was truly their Last Dance together, a team that ties a lot of resources up in him, better be aware that he could end up a bit like Greg Jennings, except that he will still have a friend in Aaron Rodgers.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
Despite you being a member of my fan club, I have to disagree with this. The cap most certainly effects how many top players you can afford to keep on your roster. We are seeing it this offseason for not just the Packers, but the Saints and a few other teams.

Despite the cap biting the Packers in the *** this coming year, I love it and wouldn't want to see the NFL ever modify it like the NBA and definitely not like MLB. A small market team like GB would never be able to compete under those conditions.

Agree, as the NFL needs a different cap structure just because of the number of players for a complete roster and the risk of season/career ending injury. The system works but I think QB salaries are getting out of control and maybe an individual max cap set at a percentage of the team cap should be considered.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The system works but I think QB salaries are getting out of control and maybe an individual max cap set at a percentage of the team cap should be considered.
While I see your point, I think the whole system is out of control and it just started with the QB's and then worked its way into the salaries of the OLB's, LT's and CB's and now we have Davante Adams wanting $30M/year.

If you start allowing teams to not have to report a certain amount for a certain position, you have effectively circumvented the purpose of the cap. Now only the very wealthy (big market) teams, will be able to pay that star QB $60M/year and only have to report $30M on the cap. Suddenly, you have the top 5 or so richest teams, having the top 5 QB's in the game, since they are the only teams that can afford them.

The NFL would soon look like the NBA.

I think a hard cap is the best thing for the NFL and small market teams like the Packers. However, as long as the money is there, teams will find a way to spend it and as we are seeing with the Packers, you need to be smart with your allowed spending.

The only way the money will stop "being there" is if the Networks stop paying huge money to carry the games. When will that stop? Not until fans say "enough is enough, we aren't interested in a business that has this much money to burn".

Last edited:

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
I'm not advocating that QBs need a seperate cap although I have seen it proposed in various posts/articles I have read. The individual caps would still need to fit under the overall cap. Maybe the other way is to raise the NFL minimum with no difference for rookies/veterans. If a team knows thay have to spend a minimum of 1% of the cap per player it shrinks the pool of excess cap space available. Maybe this would force teams to be self policing in controling high end contracts. Fun to discuss but it's a moot point until the CBA gets renegotiated in about 9 more years.

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think I was unclear in my post but ill repeat. I dont think he is the best WR in the league, I dont think he will be as good without a top 5 QB slinging him the ball, and he seems to use the whole Arod-Packer drama as a way to justify his hard line stance and increase his leverage. The last part is what irks me the wrong way. For a franchise that stood by him when many thought he should have been cut in the early years of his career (and where he prob would have in many teams), that is just disrespectful.

Of course, set up your family for generations to come (all though thats not a matter of getting at least 30M annually but whatever). Im not saying take a hometown discount. But demanding the most in the league AND THEN some is just a way of saying im gonna/want to leave without explicitly saying that.

Also, LOL at anyone thinking that because you are supposedly the best WR in the league you should automatically be be paid more than the highest earner. We can't consider that Hop's contracted is inflated as well?
You right man. I don't think he is the best in the league either and even if he was we can't be paying everyone 20- 30 mol per year. It hurts the whole team.

I rather let the overblown sales go and build a well rounded team that has a lot of depth and spend top dollars on coaching and scouting stuff.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm not advocating that QBs need a seperate cap although I have seen it proposed in various posts/articles I have read. The individual caps would still need to fit under the overall cap. Maybe the other way is to raise the NFL minimum with no difference for rookies/veterans. If a team knows thay have to spend a minimum of 1% of the cap per player it shrinks the pool of excess cap space available. Maybe this would force teams to be self policing in controling high end contracts. Fun to discuss but it's a moot point until the CBA gets renegotiated in about 9 more years.
One thing I can never see happening in the NFL are hard caps on player positions. Maybe owners would be fine with it, but the players association would definitely not allow it. They want as free of a market as possible, to maximize players pay.

I still wish that players were paid on what they do, not what they once did. Meaning that all their money comes after the season is over for them and/or their team. They could still receive money as the season progressed, but nothing exceeding what they have earned to that point. Sadly, I doubt that performance pay will ever happen in the NFL, so I need to stop thinking about it.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Here's my whole problem with deals like this. First let me say I have no problem with players going for the most they can get. My problem comes from their comments. "Its not up to me". Yes it is you could stay with your current team if you wanted to. You just want more money. "I have to do what's best for me and my family.". Why is what's best always the most money? "Its a business" it is and your business is to make the most money you can get. There are other comments that are similar but they all mean the same thing.

Just be honest. Im going there because they offered me the most money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts