Davante Adams contract situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Given GBs cap situation I would say the chances of us being able to tag him, sign him to a deal within 8 days and then trade him are infinitesimal. For one thing they need to free up a HUGE amount if cap space to tag him (the amount they’re over plus $20M), then they have to sign him trade him, to one would think a team of Adams choosing… why would Adams and his agent be part of this scheme?
Actually, if the Packers put a non-exclusive franchise tag on Davante, it still allows him to shop around and potentially sign with any team he wants to, at any contract they agree upon. What it does for the Packers is allows them to match the contract and keep Davante or decline and receive 2 first round picks.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, if the Packers put a non-exclusive franchise tag on Davante, it still allows him to shop around and potentially sign with any team he wants to, at any contract they agree upon. What it does for the Packers is allows them to match the contract and keep Davante or decline and receive 2 first round picks.
For that to work Green Bay has to be able to fit Adams under their cap @$20M+ along with Aarogant @$46M if he hasn’t extended or they’ve traded him to where he wants to go…. Same problem… not enough money

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
For that to work Green Bay has to be able to fit Adams under their cap @$20M+ along with Aarogant @$46M if he hasn’t extended or they’ve traded him to where he wants to go…. Same problem… not enough money
Not at all. You wouldn't do that with Davante, unless you were planning on trading Rodgers. If nobody is willing to give up 2 first rounds for Davante, you have to pay him the non-exclusive franchise tag price. By then, you have already cleared enough cap space with other cuts or restructures.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Maybe someone already posted this, but good lord....this is just F'ing crazy! We were all worried he wanted to be paid more than the skewed yearly amount that Hopkins got. Well, he wants a lot more than that. $30M per year! :eek:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe someone already posted this, but good lord....this is just F'ing crazy! We were all worried he wanted to be paid more than the skewed yearly amount that Hopkins got. Well, he wants a lot more than that. $30M per year! :eek:

I’m telling ya, I’m more confident Davante is gone than Rodgers….but we’re talking like 70% sure vs 60%…I just don’t think either is back if betting.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I’m telling ya, I’m more confident Davante is gone than Rodgers….but we’re talking like 70% sure vs 60%…I just don’t think either is back if betting.
I'm more confident that he "should" be gone if that demand of $30M is true. Sorry, I just don't see how paying a WR $30M/year helps your team, even when it is the great Davante Adams. Especially, if you don't have Aaron Rodgers.

As the pieces start lining up, if I am Gute and Murphy, I have 2 huge white boards. One is titled "Sticking with Rodgers" and the other "Life without #12". Then pros and cons on each side of each board. I am starting to think the Pro's on the second board will far outweigh the Pros and cons of all the boards.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point I just pray we can part ways with class - Davante even more than Aaron has always exemplified the type of man I’d want to share sweat and blood with on Sundays. High class, high character and a guy that honestly has every right to be cocky and a diva but has this amazingly rare trait amongst WRs - humility.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
At this point I just pray we can part ways with class - Davante even more than Aaron has always exemplified the type of man I’d want to share sweat and blood with on Sundays. High class, high character and a guy that honestly has every right to be cocky and a diva but has this amazingly rare trait amongst WRs - humility.
Agreed. While I have been adamant about how ridiculous the money has gotten in the NFL, I won't hold any ill will for players like Davante that take advantage of it.

The Packers will need to do what is best for the Packer organization and if that means tags, it should happen. If fans, players, media, etc. don't like that and think that it isn't fair to the players, sorry but they are just doing what the players are doing and that is taking care of themselves.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ll say this much, some may call me nuts….I’ll miss watching 17 than I will 12

Attachments

• FFDBAE0B-DE1A-4916-8DF8-460BE97170DA.jpeg
    FFDBAE0B-DE1A-4916-8DF8-460BE97170DA.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 70

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I’ll say this much, some may call me nuts….I’ll miss watching 17 than I will 12
I don't think Rodgers is an MVP without Adams and I don't think Adams becomes this great of a WR without Rodgers. So yes, it was fun to watch them both.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, the franchise tag is still in play. I don't know how they'd work the cap situation, but it seems like the front office is going to go hard to keep him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well, the franchise tag is still in play. I don't know how they'd work the cap situation, but it seems like the front office is going to go hard to keep him.
I don't think it is just working hard to keep him, I think it may be working hard to make sure they get something other than a potential 2023 3rd round comp pick, if they can't keep him.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Adams is not going to get $30 million from any team. This is all just negotiations. Aim high and hope to get what you really want. Players do this type of thing all the time with the media. Sometimes teams call their bluff and just let them walk. Most of the time it ends up not working out for the player. Jared Cook years back tried that and the Packers walked away. He ended up getting less than what the Packers offered him. I say put the non-exclusive franchise tag on him and let it ride out.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams is not going to get $30 million from any team. This is all just negotiations. Aim high and hope to get what you really want. Players do this type of thing all the time with the media. Sometimes teams call their bluff and just let them walk. Most of the time it ends up not working out for the player. Jared Cook years back tried that and the Packers walked away. He ended up getting less than what the Packers offered him. I say put the non-exclusive franchise tag on him and let it ride out.

Cook from all accounts took less than what Green Bay was offering him...could not find suitors at what he wanted and we had already signed Bennett. He was left signing to Raiders for roughly 5.3M a year on a 10.6M over two year deal when the per year deal with Green Bay had two rumored figures one was 6M a year (which has more confirmation) than the other which was $21M/3 years.

Krabs

Reaction score
Cook from all accounts took less than what Green Bay was offering him...could not find suitors at what he wanted and we had already signed Bennett. He was left signing to Raiders for roughly 5.3M a year on a 10.6M over two year deal when the per year deal with Green Bay had two rumored figures one was 6M a year (which has more confirmation) than the other which was $21M/3 years.
Right, still not a bad thing for Cook. Just pointing out that I highly doubt Adams will get what he wants and this is more of using the media as leverage to get close to what he wants. I just can't foresee a situation where a team is so desperate to have a #1 WR that they are willing to pay $30 million a year for it. I could see a club do it for a QB and they have. I've seen ridiculous contracts given to WRs, but this is getting to the absurd point. Hey, if he can get it, more power to him. I'm just very doubtful.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right, still not a bad thing for Cook. Just pointing out that I highly doubt Adams will get what he wants and this is more of using the media as leverage to get close to what he wants. I just can't foresee a situation where a team is so desperate to have a #1 WR that they are willing to pay $30 million a year for it. I could see a club do it for a QB and they have. I've seen ridiculous contracts given to WRs, but this is getting to the absurd point. Hey, if he can get it, more power to him. I'm just very doubtful.

He's going to become the highest paid WR - unless tagged.

Hopkins got $27.5M a year deal. Adams will want and "deserves" according to league that minimum.

I don't believe in paying a WR that much.

Krabs

Reaction score
He's going to become the highest paid WR - unless tagged.

Hopkins got $27.5M a year deal. Adams will want and "deserves" according to league that minimum.

I don't believe in paying a WR that much.
I don't either. I think it's crazy. Much better to just let him walk. We probably got his best years anyway.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All though according to my one friend it is as simple as cutting Zadarius LOL

I let him carry on in his dream world...

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All though according to my one friend it is as simple as cutting Zadarius LOL

I let him carry on in his dream world...
Well adams is counting zippo against next years cap, so if we’re $45Mil over (?) and we need $20M (?) to tag him, gotta work $65M of magic by my math.

Krabs

Reaction score
Well adams is counting zippo against next years cap, so if we’re $45Mil over (?) and we need $20M (?) to tag him, gotta work $65M of magic by my math.
I've been through this on a different thread. It is very possible to tag Adams or even re-sign him and Rodgers.
If the Packers can re-sign Adams and extend Rodgers they will likely lose the following players unless they renegotiate for league minimums.

Offense: Lazard, Cobb, MVS, EQ, Tonyan, Lewis, Nijman, Patrick, Kelly

Defense: Campbell, Douglas, Sullivan, both Smith Bros, Lowry, Lancaster, King, & Burks

ST: Crosby

If this were to happen the Packers would have the following depth chart.

Offense:

QB: Rodgers, Love, Benkert
RB: Jones, Dillon, Taylor, Hill
WR: Adams, Amari Rodgers, Winfree
TE: Deguara, Davis, Dafney
LT: Bahktiari
LG: Runyan(Jenkins)
C: Myers
RG: Newman
RT: Turner
Backup Oline: Braden, Hansen, Van Lanen

Defense:
Dline: Clark, Slaton
OLB: Gary, Garvin, Galeai
MLB: Barnes, Mcduffie
CB: Alexander, Stokes, SJC
S: Savage, Amos, Black, Davis, Scott

Special Teams
K: Kicker to be named later
P: Bojorquez

Draft Picks in Rd 1, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 7, 7, 7

A lot of holes would need to be filled with the draft or undrafted free agents. Maybe a few flyers like Douglas who have bounced around for a while.
These are all projections and guesses. This would also leave a lot of dead money on the books. However, it would keep a lot of key players locked in. The holes needing filling are big ones though. Not sure it is all worth it.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You missed the part I just let my friend live in his make believe world LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.