Davante Adams contract situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
"Its not up to me"
Agree on your whole post and this quote I pulled out, because as you said, its the biggest BS statement made by a player or a team for that matter. What the player is actually saying is "I have given them the details of what I will play for, so it is up to them." The team can say the same thing. "The decision is totally Davante's"....well yes and no. If you only offer him $3 Million per year, you have in fact made the decision for him.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So who do you propose to replace them with and how much will that cost the Packers? This isn't Madden Football where you cut/don't resign a guy, and a cheaper version comes in and plays the same.

I don't pretend that real life isn't madden. First, I haven't played in almost 15 years at this point, so for all I know, it's worse now.

But we're talking in circles a little bit. I'd prefer to sign Campbell. I'm not sure what a fair contract is for him. We snagged him off the street for a reason--does the rest of the league under value him? Is his performance scheme dependent? Largely the same for Douglas. I'm super happy with how he performed.

As valuable as both players are, neither are top players though. Campbell might be a top ILB, but he isn't dynamic enough. Part of that is the position he plays. ILB needs to not lose the game for you.

I've brought this up before, but to me, a top player is someone at minimum the other team schemes against you. "We cannot let Adams beat us.'' "We cannot let Gary beat us." So you double Adams. You chip Gary every time. The top of the tops get schemed out and win anyway.

In such a world, you have to be willing to let your "just" solid players move on. Everyone in the NFL is a great players. It's the special players that differentiate your team.

Reaction score
So who do you propose to replace them with and how much will that cost the Packers? This isn't Madden Football where you cut/don't resign a guy, and a cheaper version comes in and plays the same.
I know it’s wishful, but it sure would be nice if we could retain at least 1 of those players.
I just don’t see any possible way to resign those type better FA guys if we sign someone like Davante. It’s a crap position to be in but it is what it is. We may have to rely on pilfering and poaching again :laugh:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I know it’s wishful, but it sure would be nice if we could retain at least 1 of those players.
I just don’t see any possible way to resign those type better FA guys if we sign someone like Davante. It’s a crap position to be in but it is what it is. We may have to rely on pilfering and poaching again
If you simply remove Rodgers from the team, we basically have the team that played the Chiefs and that really wasn't that great of a team. Yes, our defense played well, but the Chiefs offense was in the middle of a drought to begin with.

So, what happens to the Packers if they trade both Rodgers and Davante and somehow can keep the defense almost fully in tact? In the first season, I still don't think they win more than half their games and that is if Jordan Love can improve and the defense plays well. So I revert back to how much money do they want to spend keeping the defense fully in tact, when it won't really matter in 2022? Maybe you let the Smith Brothers and Amos walk and try to sign Campbell and Douglas to reasonable contracts. But if either of them want top 10 money, I let them walk and hope in 2-3 years, we have found their replacements in the draft. Meanwhile, you have Stokes, Alexander and Savage. As well as Clark and Gary, to build your defense around.

Reaction score
If you simply remove Rodgers from the team, we basically have the team that played the Chiefs and that really wasn't that great of a team. Yes, our defense played well, but the Chiefs offense was in the middle of a drought to begin with.

So, what happens to the Packers if they trade both Rodgers and Davante and somehow can keep the defense almost fully in tact? In the first season, I still don't think they win more than half their games and that is if Jordan Love can improve and the defense plays well. So I revert back to how much money do they want to spend keeping the defense fully in tact, when it won't really matter in 2022? Maybe you let the Smith Brothers and Amos walk and try to sign Campbell and Douglas to reasonable contracts. But if either of them want top 10 money, I let them walk and hope in 2-3 years, we have found their replacements in the draft. Meanwhile, you have Stokes, Alexander and Savage. As well as Clark and Gary, to build your defense around.
Oh yes. I fully understand if we can’t retain Rodgers it’s 2 steps back, I’m in full reality there. I do believe Love will be better “in full” in 2022 than he was “in part” in 2021, he’s still obviously a long ways to go. That position takes momentum and he’s never really had that opportunity. He played 3 halves of a preseason contest and that was his body of work in the NFL. I think people (not you) are quick to judge him in his first game and a half game.

I think the better scenario we could expect going that route is Love begins to improve more as the season progresses. I’m 100% ok with a 6-11 final record if he wins 3 of his last 4 contests against decent competition etc.. that way we have a top 10 selection and we get a good idea of where Love’s trajectory is headed. It may just be we draft another QB in 2023 and we will have the firepower to do it.

Anything at 20Mil+ per season for Adams is just going to sink us. There’s near zero chance he signs for less. Any loyalty for a drafting team is nilch today. It goes both ways though that’s our GM’s thing, he will cut ties with a veteran at the blink of an eye. We’ve seen several examples of that. Those former moves are partly why we’re in this mess.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
If the Packers couldn't win with the current roster, not much of a chance they can do much with the gutted roster above. Especially on defense, the roster above would neither be able to stop the run nor rush the passer with only one OLB in Gary with any ability to get in the qb's face.
I don't disagree with this assessment. The thread is talking about Adams contract situation. I'm merely showing what it would take to keep him.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hang on, be careful. It isn't fair to run a study analyzing past actual MVPs in one post and then downgrade that to just MVP caliber guys - those are two very different things.
There is only 1 MVP each year and historically they are a QB. Only 1 team wins the SB each year. If they are 1 and the same more than 35% of the time that is a crazy high number. 32 teams have a chance to win the SB, 32 QBs have a chance to win the MVP. 35% of the time the MVP QB wins the SB? Did I mention that is a crazy high number. IMO.

Krabs

Reaction score
So why would a team send significant value to GB if they know GB is going to have to cut him loose? I mean if GB has cleared the cap space that would be known wouldnt it? Just as it would be known if they hadnt.
I mean deals are announced other teams have a pretty good idea if not the EXACT situation Green Bay is in cap wise. They’re not going to pony up when they know GB has to release Adams “tomorrow” because they have no cap
Again, I've shown that the Packers certainly can keep Adams and for sure can tag him. They will be losing players and have many holes to fill. They can keep Rodgers and Adams. Rodgers has to give up money to help pay for Adams, but it is certainly possible to keep them both.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree on your whole post and this quote I pulled out, because as you said, its the biggest BS statement made by a player or a team for that matter. What the player is actually saying is "I have given them the details of what I will play for, so it is up to them." The team can say the same thing. "The decision is totally Davante's"....well yes and no. If you only offer him $3 Million per year, you have in fact made the decision for him.
It is still ultimately up to the player. As long as the team offers him a contract he can choose if he wants to keep playing for that team or not. It may not be for he what he wants or what he even is worth or deserves but if he says "I'd like to stay here..." Then my response would be no you wouldn't because you could if you really wanted to. The offer may even be disrespectful but the decision is still up to the player.
Oh yes. I fully understand if we can’t retain Rodgers it’s 2 steps back, I’m in full reality there. I do believe Love will be better “in full” in 2022 than he was “in part” in 2021, he’s still obviously a long ways to go. That position takes momentum and he’s never really had that opportunity. He played 3 halves of a preseason contest and that was his body of work in the NFL. I think people (not you) are quick to judge him in his first game and a half game.

I think the better scenario we could expect going that route is Love begins to improve more as the season progresses. I’m 100% ok with a 6-11 final record if he wins 3 of his last 4 contests against decent competition etc.. that way we have a top 10 selection and we get a good idea of where Love’s trajectory is headed. It may just be we draft another QB in 2023 and we will have the firepower to do it.

Anything at 20Mil+ per season for Adams is just going to sink us. There’s near zero chance he signs for less. Any loyalty for a drafting team is nilch today. It goes both ways though that’s our GM’s thing, he will cut ties with a veteran at the blink of an eye. We’ve seen several examples of that. Those former moves are partly why we’re in this mess.
is nilch a word? :whistling::whistling::whistling::D:D:D

Again, I've shown that the Packers certainly can keep Adams and for sure can tag him. They will be losing players and have many holes to fill. They can keep Rodgers and Adams. Rodgers has to give up money to help pay for Adams, but it is certainly possible to keep them both.

I've heard people say "there is no way we can keep Rodgers and Adams" or "its impossible to keep both of them" and you are right, Those comments when taken as written are simply not true. As you, and others, have pointed out it can be done. I think what most people mean when they say there is no way is that there is no way without causing serious damage to the teams future cap wise or without seriously gutting the team as it stands. Can it be done? yes it can. Should it be done? that's a whole different argument and there is no right or wrong answer.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Um. I’m going to say Notta :)

I was somewhere between Notta and Zilcho and it sounded reasonable enough. Apparently not!

That sounds like something my daughter would do if I told her to use her words...and if I had a daughter.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Some team out there is going to be willing to pay Adams $25 mil/year, maybe the $27 mil he wants. So three questions for us Packers fans 1) will Rodgers stay?, 2) If one is yes will Adams stay - or put another way, are Rogers and Adams a package deal? and 3) Does GB wanna pay that kind of money for two guys? (Does anyone anna pay that kinda money for to guys?) The answer, I think is no, UNLESS guys like Russ Ball can get creative like they always do, cut players with big cap hits like Z, others, and find a way to once again mortgage the future for a run at a SB.

I think that horse has left the barn. Even if by some magic GB can keep Rodgers/Adams, they are not going to field a team as good as the last one. Could that team compete? Of course. Good enough for a SB run? They'd need some luck. or they'd need to do what they did in 2010, peak at the right time, kinda like SF did this year.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes it’s possible for them to release the entire 53 man roster boycott the draft and go with UDFAs LOL

Reaction score
That sounds like something my daughter would do if I told her to use her words...and if I had a daughter.
It’s possible my feminine side surfaces. Maybe it’s my daughter rubbing off on me. Or.. I’ve got a valley girl in There somewhere? Totally

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can you sign a 53 player roster with about $40m left after all the dead cap hits?
well the league minimum salary for 2021 was 660K…. so times 53= 34,980,000… So technically… I guess you could lol.

Krabs

Reaction score
Yes it’s possible for them to release the entire 53 man roster boycott the draft and go with UDFAs LOL
I showed what the roster would look like. I'm not sure the point you're making. We are losing players regardless if we have Rodgers and Adams.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guarantee you if we are dumb enough to sign Adams in any capacity and keep Rodgers - folks better pray to the God that be Gute can find a FA passed over like Campbell and somehow be able to afford again, plus one if not two Rasul type finds off of practice squads. Without hitting such things this team will not be as good as 2021 team.

Good news is could be better results but not a better team - some will understand this, some won’t.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rapoport says it looks likely he'll be tagged, however quite vague on the details. Regardless, this discussion will heat up in the coming weeks so here's the place it'll be discussed:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Rappaport has not exactly been my loving source of anything even when he is right. Look to Silverstein.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Rappaport has not exactly been my loving source of anything even when he is right. Look to Silverstein
Agreed. Silverstein is a Green Bay reporter that usually knows what he is talking about. He may not "break news" first, he typically waits to have as many facts as he can get. Kind of a dull, dry guy, but very knowledgeable when it comes to the Packers. Pete Daugherty...same thing.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guarantee you if we are dumb enough to sign Adams in any capacity and keep Rodgers - folks better pray to the God that be Gute can find a FA passed over like Campbell and somehow be able to afford again, plus one if not two Rasul type finds off of practice squads. Without hitting such things this team will not be as good as 2021 team.

Good news is could be better results but not a better team - some will understand this, some won’t.
What would you rather have. A better team or better results. I'd take a "worse" team winning the SB than a better team not making it.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
'21 was "the last dance" with all of those players and they significantly fell short, IMHO. Time to assemble the team differently...strong run game, strong D and a capable offense.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What would you rather have. A better team or better results. I'd take a "worse" team winning the SB than a better team not making it.
Well. We actually did have a worse team that won the SB. And we also had a lot of better ones that never got there.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
'21 was "the last dance" with all of those players and they significantly fell short, IMHO. Time to assemble the team differently...strong run game, strong D and a capable offense.
I think they had a really good season, they just had their 2 worst games to start and finish it. Had special teams played average, we are talking about 2 really good defenses shutting each other down in a Packer win VS the 49'ers. I liked our chances against the Rams.

Super Bowls don't come easy and if you have a bad game in the playoffs, a top 8 team will probably knock you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts