Cobb could be sidelined at start of camp

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not much info yet but hopefully it's not too serious...or the dreaded high ankle sprain. I chuckled at Cobb saying that the boot was temporary. That could just mean that they will pull off the boot after the swelling goes down and then put on a cast! It could also mean that it's something minor. His comment is meaningless without context.

We need Cobb and Adams to stay healthy this season or else Rodgers is in real trouble. Then again, once Sterling Sharpe hurt his neck, Favre came alive because he started throwing to a lot of young WRs. That's when Brooks, Freeman, and others blossomed.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that Moore and St brown are gonna be good but this is exact reason nelson shouldn't of been cut. I'm sure had they tried something reasonable could have been worked out

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
aaaaand so it begins. wonder if he had some kind of surgery?

is ankle taping not a thing anymore? used to everyone got the ankles taped. it was mandatory i think. lol

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bye itself this injury doesn't concern me in the least. Cobb is a pro and though the offensive coordinator is "new" I don't think they're running anything he hasn't been in before. "easing him back" when training camp opens up will easily have him ready for the season when considering a player of Cobb's experience. If anything it opens up the early season reps to guys that really need it to distinguish themselves or make the team. we have 4 very intriguing young guys that have the sky as the limit for their potential. Of course it is just potential right now which means nothing really, but they need time and reps and now there is one spot opened up to give it to them.

But the past few seasons have seen Cobb hampered by one injury or another, so i'm not exactly sold that he'll be back 100% physically for the season either. One of those young guys will have to step up. No learning curve required, just take the opportunity and run with it.

Reaction score
A month before training camp and already the injury crap is starting. SMH

I totally agree on the injury's starting early.
After every game last year, I sat and wandered who will be nursing another injury.

I just wish we could get some young hungry backup players ready to take that next step.
Example of this was our entire defensive team last year when the offense was struggling with Brett Hundley, nobody stepped up to save the year.
Hopefully that all will change.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cut him and sign Dez? Without looking at how it effects the cap I'd be all up for it. Let's wrap Ty Montgomery in a bubble while we're at it.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

We need Cobb and Adams to stay healthy this season or else Rodgers is in real trouble.

The Packers could definitely need another veteran wide receiver if Adams or Cobb miss significant time this season.

I think that Moore and St brown are gonna be good but this is exact reason nelson shouldn't of been cut. I'm sure had they tried something reasonable could have been worked out

I would have preferred the Packers to retain Nelson as well but with Cobb being expected to be fine for week 1 there's no reason to be overly worried at this point.

Cut him and sign Dez? Without looking at how it effects the cap I'd be all up for it.

I'm not interested in the Packers signing Bryant. In addition he wouldn't be an adequate replacement for a slot receiver like Cobb.

Can't cut an injured player can you?
I mean without paying him anyway.

The Packers could release Cobb even with him currently being injured without having to pay him any money at this point.

H

HardRightEdge

It could be one of those minor surgeries to "clean things up".

He missed the last two games in 2016 with a "nagging" pedal ankle sprain, the same injury sustained in 2012 causing a missed game.

http://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/randall-cobb/4715

A player can have a minor chronic issue that gets temporarily aggravated from time to time, he plays through it, but at a certain point the flare ups become more frequent or severe.

Or perhpas he tripped over the dog.

Last edited by a moderator:

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe I recall Allison lining up in the slot occasionally; but this would definitely be Davis' time to shine given his size/speed combo. If he can't make some wow plays with the #1s or #2s, cut em.

H

HardRightEdge

I believe I recall Allison lining up in the slot occasionally; but this would definitely be Davis' time to shine given his size/speed combo. If he can't make some wow plays with the #1s or #2s, cut em.
All Packer wide receivers have lined up in the slot on occasion in the McCarthy era, from Driver through to Adams. I don't think there are many WRs in the league who don't at least on occasion.

I don't see Davis or Allison being physical enough or tough enough for the slot. That player has to be able to run in the danger zone, take a lickin', and keep on tickin'. On the basis of that criterion, you'd probably be looking at Montgomery or Moore. Graham's essentially a slot receiver anyway, so there are possible workarounds there if need be.

We might consider that we know nothing of the reason Cobb is wearing a boot. It's over 2 months to opening day. I would advise "relaxing". Graham's essentially a slot receiver anyway, so there are possible workarounds there if need be.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see Davis or Allison being physical enough or tough enough for the slot. That player has to be able to run in the danger zone, take a lickin', and keep on tickin'.

This is the NFL, which stands for "Not For Long" if you can't take a few hits every now and then. Allison should be fine and Davis should know by now that at his size people are always going to be looking to knock him around. He came from the same school as DeSean Jackson, who had similar concerns coming out of college. He needs to use this opportunity to prove any naysayers wrong.

H

HardRightEdge

This is the NFL, which stands for "Not For Long" if you can't take a few hits every now and then. Allison should be fine and Davis should know by now that at his size people are always going to be looking to knock him around. He came from the same school as DeSean Jackson, who had similar concerns coming out of college. He needs to use this opportunity to prove any naysayers wrong.
No place on the field is safe. That's ovbious. However, the quality, quantity and the accumulating affects of hits go up when running those middle routes under linebackers and safeties. I have zero confidence Allison or Davis could last long without making an excessive number of business decisions. Allison already has at least 2 concussions on his resume without having played that much.

Obviously, you don't have to be big of stature to play slot as the parade of New England players demonstrates. But those guys were and are compact and tough. Davis and Allison look downright skinny and tentative in the few opportunities we've had to see them run over the middle.

Most importantly though, slot or wideout, neither is a very good receiver. So there's that. Davis is not DeSean Jackson and never will be, as though that needs to be said.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there's a 27% chance Davis is in this roster on opening day. Odds are significantly lower that he actually sees the field as a WR as he's just not that good at it. I expected more than he's shown that's for sure

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If nothing else, this should be a reminder to the Packers coaches and front office that both Cobb and Adams will probably not stay healthy for all 16+ games and they need to plan for that now, not in October when one or both of them go down and the pickings are slim. Now maybe they have a ton of confidence in a few of the WR's below those 2 on the depth chart. I hope they do, because right now, I don't.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a reminder how much the front office has declined in the last few years. The Packers used to have depth on offense and defense and now the cupboard is kinda bare pretty much everywhere. Not putting all of this on TT, there's only so much you can do when members of the front office keep getting picked to be GMs elsewhere. Packers are now like much of the NFL, needing major injury luck to be competitive at the end of the year.

About a month ago there were rumors that Corey Coleman was on the trading block. Might be an interesting pickup if the team needs talent at WR. Cheap contract, tons of upside as a first-round pick with amazing athletic ability. Probably wouldn't cost too much to trade for him and, as a bonus, it's apparent the Packers have the Browns phone number at least.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Thompson left us with one thing, it was a deep wr corps. Nelson already gone. And add a new batch of rookies. I am not only OK with the current situation. I'd take it a step further, and cut/trade Cobb. Make room for Montgomery to be on the field all the time. Jones/williams at rb. Graham/Lewis getting good reps at TE. This team is not forced to be wr heavy. And there is a lot of great prospects deep on our depth charts, who need to see the field.

Monty is a stud. Get him the ball and let him do his thing.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If Thompson left us with one thing, it was a deep wr corps. Nelson already gone. And add a new batch of rookies. I am not only OK with the current situation. I'd take it a step further, and cut/trade Cobb. Make room for Montgomery to be on the field all the time. Jones/williams at rb. Graham/Lewis getting good reps at TE. This team is not forced to be wr heavy. And there is a lot of great prospects deep on our depth charts, who need to see the field.

Monty is a stud. Get him the ball and let him do his thing.

Not sure I agree with Thompson leaving us with a deep corp of WR's. Nelson was still a Packer, but he was obviously on his way out, maybe TT would have kept him? But besides Adams and Cobb, TT left the Packers squadoosh in the way of WR's. Geronimo Allison is about the only WR with any experience and that is limited. Davis, Janis and Clark made up a pretty weak bottom 3.

Personally, unless one of the rookies is looking really promising, I would be looking hard and fast at bringing in a vet WR. If they aren't interested in Dez, Maclin or Decker would be a good signing IMO.

Monty was converted to a RB. He reshaped his body to be one and he wasn't all that special as a WR, not sure why people think he can suddenly go back to the position and shine.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rise and fall, circular, life, **** happens. use any and all to describe what's happened. I would say our offense is in pretty good shape overall. It's different, but hardly in bad shape. We have 2-3 legitimate RB's, we have 2 different, but at the top of their game in respective talents TE's we have a decent Oline, better than some, not as good as other years. We have a great QB and we have a couple already established WR's. If this offense can't "go" it's not because we dont have enough WR's. Montgomery needs to stay on the field before anyone starts anointing him anything. There's been some flash and some dud and a whole lot of time injured with him and he's not a WR anymore. One of those rookies is going to do something. They aren't going to be 95 catches and 1600 yards with 14 TD's, but then they don't need to either. But this should be one of the more balanced offenses we've had in a while.

Latest posts