Cobb could be sidelined at start of camp

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I believe I recall Allison lining up in the slot occasionally; but this would definitely be Davis' time to shine given his size/speed combo. If he can't make some wow plays with the #1s or #2s, cut em.

I don't expect Davis to contribute as a wide receiver by any means. If the Packers find an adequate replacement for him as a returner he most likely doesn't even make the roster.

Packers are now like much of the NFL, needing major injury luck to be competitive at the end of the year.

As long as Rodgers stays healthy the Packers are going to be competitive.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure I agree with Thompson leaving us with a deep corp of WR's. Nelson was still a Packer, but he was obviously on his way out, maybe TT would have kept him? But besides Adams and Cobb, TT left the Packers squadoosh in the way of WR's. Geronimo Allison is about the only WR with any experience and that is limited. Davis, Janis and Clark made up a pretty weak bottom 3.

Personally, unless one of the rookies is looking really promising, I would be looking hard and fast at bringing in a vet WR. If they aren't interested in Dez, Maclin or Decker would be a good signing IMO.

Monty was converted to a RB. He reshaped his body to be one and he wasn't all that special as a WR, not sure why people think he can suddenly go back to the position and shine.

I said from the get go that Montgomery remind me of sterling Sharpe, or anquan boldin. A rb who plays the wr position...
I also seen him as a Laveon bell /Marshall faulk type of player. Who can beat you two different ways...

Don't get me wrong. Cobb is a great player. But I'm in the purge to sign #12 group. We can't have it all, and #12 is first priority... Cobb's stats the last two years could have been replaced by dang near anyone, with as many targets/reps. He is undersized, and improperly used. He needs to get those few productive carries. Or throw a trick(he can throw). To be the wild card that we are paying him to be...

Now he has a high ankle problem again... not good.

Monty is same boat. But bigger/stronger, and most importantly, cheaper... he is still quick and agile, or he wouldn't be a rb...

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rise and fall, circular, life, **** happens. use any and all to describe what's happened. I would say our offense is in pretty good shape overall. It's different, but hardly in bad shape. We have 2-3 legitimate RB's, we have 2 different, but at the top of their game in respective talents TE's we have a decent Oline, better than some, not as good as other years. We have a great QB and we have a couple already established WR's. If this offense can't "go" it's not because we dont have enough WR's. Montgomery needs to stay on the field before anyone starts anointing him anything. There's been some flash and some dud and a whole lot of time injured with him and he's not a WR anymore. One of those rookies is going to do something. They aren't going to be 95 catches and 1600 yards with 14 TD's, but then they don't need to either. But this should be one of the more balanced offenses we've had in a while.
Let's not blame Monty for the team being decimated at wr, and him being forced to play injured his rookie year... then it seemed McCarthy wanted to get Monty around the corner at top speed when his ankles were ailing him...
All in all, I see Monty as a stud who hasn't proven consistency. Hasn't had a real position more than one year either. So let's remember Adams crappy sophomore season when grading this guy.
Get him the ball. Or better yet. Resign him to a respectable prove it extension, then give him the ball.

And rebuild the wild card position around him...

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I said from the get go that Montgomery remind me of sterling Sharpe, or anquan boldin. A rb who plays the wr position...
I also seen him as a Laveon bell /Marshall faulk type of player. Who can beat you two different ways...

Don't get me wrong. Cobb is a great player. But I'm in the purge to sign #12 group. We can't have it all, and #12 is first priority... Cobb's stats the last two years could have been replaced by dang near anyone, with as many targets/reps. He is undersized, and improperly used. He needs to get those few productive carries. Or throw a trick(he can throw). To be the wild card that we are paying him to be...

Monty is same boat. But bigger/stronger, and most importantly, cheaper... he is still quick and agile, or he wouldn't be a rb...

While I like your enthusiasm for Monty, I think you have to look at his entire body of work and as Mondio, myself and others have pointed out, his lack of ability to stay on the field. I think that the Packers and Monty himself have gone all in on him being a RB, not a WR. Now that doesn't mean he can't move around and catch passes from the RB position or contribute as a returner, but giving him a roster spot strictly as a WR wouldn't be the path I would take.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not blame Monty for the team being decimated at wr, and him being forced to play injured his rookie year... then it seemed McCarthy wanted to get Monty around the corner at top speed when his ankles were ailing him...
All in all, I see Monty as a stud who hasn't proven consistency. Hasn't had a real position more than one year either. So let's remember Adams crappy sophomore season when grading this guy.
Get him the ball. Or better yet. Resign him to a respectable prove it extension, then give him the ball.

And rebuild the wild card position around him...
How you understood that as blaming Montgomery for decimating the WR corps I'm not even going to try and understand. He wasn't forced to play injured, he got injured like 5 games into the season and could never make it back on the field. You said, it's he's been inconsistent, so why disagree with me? for as good as he looked at RB the season before, he looked slow and indecisive to start last season and then it was more injury after that and 2 emerging young guys. He has a ton to prove. He's already shown he can be pretty good, he's also shown he can be someone that should sit on the bench or in the training room. Like I said, he has a lot to prove

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it was a mistake to release Jordy. His leadership and professionalism was unbeatable. His production was still top tier, when healthy. Injuries slowed him, but he was #12s guy and they knew how to get him open. His next contract would have been the fade away deal. He would have been an elite teacher to these young wrs...like Donald driver was...

Cobb hasn't produced either. And made just as much. Younger and had value in a trade market. Plus the question of what to do with Monty is answered.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How you understood that as blaming Montgomery for decimating the WR corps I'm not even going to try and understand. He wasn't forced to play injured, he got injured like 5 games into the season and could never make it back on the field. You said, it's he's been inconsistent, so why disagree with me? for as good as he looked at RB the season before, he looked slow and indecisive to start last season and then it was more injury after that and 2 emerging young guys. He has a ton to prove. He's already shown he can be pretty good, he's also shown he can be someone that should sit on the bench or in the training room. Like I said, he has a lot to prove
Maybe I came off wrong. I was just saying he was forced to play because we had nobody else. And he reinjured it twice. Derailed an awesome season for him. Not his fault. Imo

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea he was injured week 5. And rushed back on the field because the offense was failing without wrs. He was looking great, with references of sterling Sharpe swirling...
Rushed back, reinjured . Rushed back again for same reason, and reinjured again..... that's how that went...

As a rb... he was at a new position. And got the other ankle hurt on a wicked hit if I remember right... then he was playing obviously hampered, and part of a wr heavy offense, and a triple rb corps...

Give the guy some reps, and don't judge until you see him play uninjured...

Just like Adams. We know he is a stud. It was inexperience, injury, instability of the offense that screwed him up.

Give him the ball. Move him around. Make him attack the defenses weak spots.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Dumping Cobb at this point would be a major mistake IMO. As someone who thinks the WR group is already too thin, the only way I see the Packers being afforded the luxury of dumping him and his contract is if 1-2 of the Rookies or Davis steps up in a big way and can be an effective slot WR. I doubt Monty is that guy.

I really like what I have been hearing about EQ Brown and his ability to line up in all the receiver positions, as well as someone who sounds like he is learning the playbook well. All that said, I don't think you rely on a rookie to provide what Cobb has been for AR and the Packers.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree with that. I should have used said that the team will need major injury luck to be considered a legitimate threat to win the Super Bowl. I don't care how good Rodgers is, history has proven that with a terrible secondary, the MM lead offense can't score enough to overcome those issues.

bmquig5

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't expect Davis to contribute as a wide receiver by any means. If the Packers find an adequate replacement for him as a returner he most likely doesn't even make the roster.

I agree here. Jaire Alexander returned kickoffs and punts for Louisville and even returned a punt for a TD against a very good FSU team in 2016. I wouldn't be surprised if he takes over the return duties and we see Davis cut before the end of the preseason in favor of our 3 day 3 draft picks.

This is all you need to know about Trevor Davis. This was pathetic:

https://twitter.com/IanKenyonNFL/status/944770835482595328

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with that. I should have used said that the team will need major injury luck to be considered a legitimate threat to win the Super Bowl. I don't care how good Rodgers is, history has proven that with a terrible secondary, the MM lead offense can't score enough to overcome those issues.
Hey now wait just a second here, it seems you have forgotten how highly successful I am.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Montgomery is definitely not even close to being as talented as Sterling Sharpe. Cobb didn't perform up to his contract but he had 126 receptions for 1,263 yards and eight touchdowns over the past two seasons, numbers certainly not bmnear anyone could put up in the NFL.

It would be a terrible mistake to release Cobb at this point with the Packers already lacking experience at wide receiver.

The Packers are in no hurry to extend Montgomery's contract. He has to prove being capable of staying healthy first.

Hopefully the secondary will be significantly improved this season.

I agree here. Jaire Alexander returned kickoffs and punts for Louisville and even returned a punt for a TD against a very good FSU team in 2016. I wouldn't be surprised if he takes over the return duties and we see Davis cut before the end of the preseason in favor of our 3 day 3 draft picks.

The Packers might be reluctant to use their first round pick at a position in dire need of an upgrade on returns though.

bmquig5

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Marquez Valdes-Scantling
The Packers might be reluctant to use their first round pick at a position in dire need of an upgrade on returns though.

Fair point but we shall see. Marquez Valdes-Scantling could be an option too with his sub 4.40 40 time.
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)][/COLOR]

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I like your enthusiasm for Monty, I think you have to look at his entire body of work and as Mondio, myself and others have pointed out, his lack of ability to stay on the field. I think that the Packers and Monty himself have gone all in on him being a RB, not a WR. Now that doesn't mean he can't move around and catch passes from the RB position or contribute as a returner, but giving him a roster spot strictly as a WR wouldn't be the path I would take.
The strategy here is not new. It's put the play makers on the field. If that includes Jones and Monty, and you want to call it a 2 rb set. That's fine too. But you move him around, catching the ball , and sprinkling in some runs and trick plays... and actually do it, rather than try a couple times and abandon the concept... what would you call that position?

He wouldn't be a pure wr. Unless the match up dictates he play that position.

As far as injuries? Many of the same people you mentioned had Adams written off after 3 injuries during his 2nd year. How did that work out?

Which reminds me that we should sign him as a respectable utility player, who makes his 5+ MIL/yr the next few years. So he doesn't have one great year and price himself out of town...

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Besides Jimmy Graham, and Mercedes Lewis. And besides Monty(6' 217) ,Jones ,Williams, who can all catch. We have the following at wr

Davante Adams 6'1" 215
Cobb 5'10" 192
Allison 6'3" 202
St brown 6'5" 214
Clark 6'6" 216
Valdez scantling 6'4" 206
Davis 6'1" 188
Deangelo Yancy 6'1 220
Jamon Moore 6'3" 204
Jake kumerow 6'4" 209

With the tes and rbs we have, we can only field 3 wrs at a time anyways.
Clark, St,brown have shots to be great imo. Big strong fast with #12 to toss them the ball.......

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Which reminds me that we should sign him as a respectable utility player, who makes his 5+ MIL/yr the next few years. So he doesn't have one great year and price himself out of town...

I think you would be pricing him out of Green Bay at "5+Mil/yr". I realize that you like the guy, but he very well could end up being behind Jones and Williams on the depth chart and possibly see some special teams as a returner, that is if he makes the final 53.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Fair point but we shall see. Marquez Valdes-Scantling could be an option too with his sub 4.40 40 time.

Valdes-Scantling might have the potential to develop into a decent NFL player but he's not best suited to line up in the slot. With the Packers already lacking experience at wide receiver there's no reason to release a proven player like Cobb.

The Packers would significantly overpay by offering Montgomery such a deal at this point.

Release Cobb and Mathews. Take that money and lock in #12.
Build from there....

There's no way the Packers should release their best edge rusher and slot receiver.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Moore is gonna be really good he's next in line. But you'd still like to have had 87 at say 7 million

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you would be pricing him out of Green Bay at "5+Mil/yr". I realize that you like the guy, but he very well could end up being behind Jones and Williams on the depth chart and possibly see some special teams as a returner, that is if he makes the final 53.
if they give Montgomery a 5+ mil/yr deal now to "lock him up" i'm going to start the official "fire Gute" thread. That guy needs to earn every penny he might get from us at this point.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ironically, Cobb's biggest problem is his toughness. He plays as if he's 6'5, 240. It's a trait I admire, but not one conducive to a long career.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Moore is gonna be really good he's next in line. But you'd still like to have had 87 at say 7 million

As much as I like Nelson I don't believe the Raiders made a smart move paying him that kind of money.

Ironically, Cobb's biggest problem is his toughness. He plays as if he's 6'5, 240. It's a trait I admire, but not one conducive to a long career.

Cobb has actually been pretty reliable over his career. Aside of missing significant time in 2013 after suffering a freak injury at Cincinnati he has only been sidelined for another six games in six seasons.

H

HardRightEdge

Fun facts:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/fantasy-football-metrics-that-matter-adjusted-wr-rating

"To answer our initial question, Adams’ season by adjusted-WR Rating [passer rating on the receiver's targets minus team QB passer rating] was indeed superior to Hill’s. His +30.7 differential actually ranks 10th-best by any wide receiver of the PFF era (since 2007). Fellow wide receiver Randall Cobb also ranked within the top-20, while Jordy Nelson (the PFF-era leader in WR Rating) ranked bottom-20 for the first time in his career. Perhaps this played a role in his departure, but in either case both Adams and Cobb appear to be strong ADP values assuming more available targets and a healthy return of Aaron Rodgers."

While Cobb may not spring open as often as one would like, his numbers last season when thrown the ball are pretty darn good.

Note: PFF's target counts are meaningfully lower than those found at pro-football-reference.com or espn.com. I don't know what filter they are using, perhaps throwaways.

Cobb:

PFF: 85
pro-football-reference.com: 92
espn.com: 91

Adams:

PFF: 108
pro-football-reference.com: 117
espn.com: 117

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online