Can the Packers D stop the Pittsburgh Offense?

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Burgh is right. Our defense has never tackled a fatty before and Ben has never been tackled. We're screwed. Their offense is unstoppable. Their defense is immovable. They've never lost a game before. This game is going to be such a waste of time. Packers might as well not even show up.

OP
OP
Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Burgh is right. Our defense has never tackled a fatty before and Ben has never been tackled. We're screwed. Their offense is unstoppable. Their defense is immovable. They've never lost a game before. This game is going to be such a waste of time. Packers might as well not even show up.

i know. what were we thinking even going to dallas clearly their team is perfect on the field and off the field. i mean 6 championships come on noone can beat that

OP
OP
Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PX0xYgm0QQ]YouTube - Superbowl 30 *** Trophy Presentation Dallas Cowboys beat Pittsburgh Steelers[/ame]

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
I've watched multiple Steeler games this season, and multiple Packer games this season. I'm no expert, though, so my opinions come with the standard amateur caveats:

As long as GB keeps a spy on Big Ben, keeping him from getting free of the pocket and making plays, I see a lot of 3 and Outs in the Steelers' future.

Keep Ben in the pocket, and keep the Steeler run game to a low YPC, and I see the Packer D forcing turnovers being a sopportunistic as they are. It could be a long day for Pittsburgh if this happens.

GoSlash27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep Ben in the pocket, and keep the Steeler run game to a low YPC, and I see the Packer D forcing turnovers being a sopportunistic as they are. It could be a long day for Pittsburgh if this happens.
Actually, I think this nails it. Ben struggles in the pocket, but becomes a beast when he starts moving. *ESPECIALLY* if he moves right.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree Snowplow. I think keeping the QB from breaking contain is a major key for both defenses. Both QBs are dangerous outside the pocket, albeit in different ways.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not worried about our D at all. After the season and the playoffs, they have nothing left to prove. They are already there. They are a big part of the reason why the Packers have made it to the SB and will be a big part of it if we win it.

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
I agree Snowplow. I think keeping the QB from breaking contain is a major key for both defenses. Both QBs are dangerous outside the pocket, albeit in different ways.

I think that the Steeler O line is more vulnerable than the Packer O Line, especially adding Pouncey's injury to it.

The Pack have a good pass rush (which my own team faced, and frankly that game scared the ever-loving crap out of me) so yeah, Big Ben will be forced to try and get out of the pocket to avoid sacks when his o line inevitably breaks down, and/or gets worn down over the course of the game.

The big question is how will the Pack D handle that.

Zeck180

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We'll just have to wait what Dom comes up with, he likes to throw in new surprises. But for those most ignorant fans on both sides who think it'll be a blow out, well it will be, defensively.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can definitely see maybe keeping a spy on Ben, so if we rush him and don't get home we don't end up getting burned for big plays. Ben will make his schoolyard plays. The key will be making sure those plays don't gash us.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really do think this SB is going to be a battle of the two Ds. I'm not taking anything away from the two QBs or O lines respectively, they will do their part to help their team win. But I think this game is going to be won or lost in terms of defense. I think the Steelers D is more formidable than their O line. But when you stack the two D's together, things get hairy (no pun intended *cough Clay and Troy). They have a lot of similarities. Harrison and Clay are big weapons for each side but certainly not the only weapons each team has. So we break it down further. Whose D stacks up better against whose O? Here is where I have to give the edge to the Pack. When comparing O lines, the Pack has a small edge and I emphasize small. It's going to come down to containing the qbs for each team. Shutting down receivers, stopping the run. Again, the D is the one who has to do that. I think this game is going to play out more like a chess match in a defensive strategy. Whose king is going to fall? Check mate baby. Victory is in the crosshairs.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ha! He's definitely a top QB. Add to that the fact that he is unlike any QB in the league makes him a tough matchup for any defense.

GoSlash27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not true. Ben's been much better in the pocket this year. His 8.6 YPA in the pocket ranked second in the league this year. His 101.9 rating in the pocket ranked fourth this year and was higher than his outside the pocket rating. I think all those training drills he did during his suspension has improved his pocket passing skills.

Interesting. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for that.

Steeler Tim

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really?

If memory serves correctly, Terrell Suggs had some fun against the Pitt O-line. Like 3 sacks or something like that?

Pretty sure Matthews has just as much speed to make things diifficult as well.

:chisux:

Mathews certainly has as much speed as Suggs. Just remember that Suggs and his 3 sacks is sitting on the couch getting ready to watch this game. You can hit Ben all you want. He is used to it. That doesn't mean you are going to win. He is not Jay Cutler. He won't ever quit.

This isn't a put down of your team. I'm not saying the Steelers are going to win (I know some of you get a little testy when Steeler fans exude the virtues of their team). I'm just describing the way Ben plays. He loves pressure. Not only does he love pressure, he thrives on it. I think he has more 4th quarter comebacks than anyone else since he came into the league. I think that is amazing because he isn't behind a lot in the 4th quarter.

Like I've said all along ... this game has the makings of living up to the reputation of the league's 2 epic organizations.
:happy0005:

Gymrat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mathews certainly has as much speed as Suggs. Just remember that Suggs and his 3 sacks is sitting on the couch getting ready to watch this game. You can hit Ben all you want. He is used to it. That doesn't mean you are going to win. He is not Jay Cutler. He won't ever quit.

This isn't a put down of your team. I'm not saying the Steelers are going to win (I know some of you get a little testy when Steeler fans exude the virtues of their team). I'm just describing the way Ben plays. He loves pressure. Not only does he love pressure, he thrives on it. I think he has more 4th quarter comebacks than anyone else since he came into the league. I think that is amazing because he isn't behind a lot in the 4th quarter.

Like I've said all along ... this game has the makings of living up to the reputation of the league's 2 epic organizations.

That's what I was thinking. Even with an injured Pouncey, or a healthy Legursky, Raji will still probably have good success at creating pressure. The problem I see with that is that the pressure is going to come from the middle. Ben is not a guy that is known for stepping up in the pocket. The first few plays it might rattle him a bit, but once he gets a clock inside his head, I think that Raji coming up the middle is just doing to make Ben roll out before he usually does. Both these QBs are very good at extending plays. Now if we can send a LB from the outside that would help a lot, if Ben decides to roll that way.
Either way I am expecting to see a very very good game.

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score

True. But the post I was replying to more or less said the Packers would have problems getting to Ben which is why I mentioned Suggs.

Granted, getting heat on Ben does not guarantee a win, but getting pressure coupled with solid coverage does help increase the Packers chances.

:chisux:

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. Even with an injured Pouncey, or a healthy Legursky, Raji will still probably have good success at creating pressure. The problem I see with that is that the pressure is going to come from the middle. Ben is not a guy that is known for stepping up in the pocket. The first few plays it might rattle him a bit, but once he gets a clock inside his head, I think that Raji coming up the middle is just doing to make Ben roll out before he usually does. Both these QBs are very good at extending plays. Now if we can send a LB from the outside that would help a lot, if Ben decides to roll that way.
Either way I am expecting to see a very very good game.

It's really all about discipline. If Matthews can get pressure, that's great. If Raji can collapse the pocket, that's great. If Jenkins can get in his face, that's great. But it don't mean jack if one of those guys flushes him and we break contain, letting him run or connect downfield.

With the Eagles and Falcons, we needed to make sure we had solid help over the top to take away the vertical game. Less so with Chicago, but still, same story. Nick Collins got burned over the top for two huge plays against Chicago.

With the Steelers it's different. Yes the Packers must account for Wallace over the top, but when Ben gets outside the pocket we really need to have the underneath covered to cut off the comeback routes. That's how they keep the ball moving downfield. Stop them from marching down the field effectively and that really puts the pressure on their O to make big plays. And snuffing out attempted big plays is one of the things the Packers defense excels at. But in order to do that we have to force them to try and go big. If we can't smother the underneath and comeback routes, it won't matter.