calvin johnson to aaron rodgers what randy moss could have been to brett favre

D

Deleted member 6794

Come on man. Adams put up better numbers last year than when Megatron last played. Adams had fewer targets but still caught more TDs and a higher percent of passes. If Adams wasn't competing for targets with others, who knows where his numbers would be. And here is the clincher- Adams is getting better and CJ is in decline.

While Adams put up decent numbers last season there's no reason to consider him even being close to the same category as Megatron in his prime. I agree that Davante is most likely currently the better receiver with Johnson being on the decline though.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are using cap hit for the $12m not salary.
You are using base salary not total salary by not including workout and other bonuses.

Both of you are using the extremes of his salary. He will earn $9.5m roughly in cash each of the next two seasons with salary and bonuses included.

Oops. You're right. Thanks.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Adams put up decent numbers last season there's no reason to consider him even being close to the same category as Megatron in his prime. I agree that Davante is most likely currently the better receiver with Johnson being on the decline though.
Not sure what comparing Megatron in his prime has to do with anything. I don't believe anyone made that claim, certainly not me. In my opinion, he was up there with Moss as the greatest since Jerry Rice.

Right now, on the Packers, he would be the 4th best receiver (including TEs) at best. But maybe 5th or 6th.

Last edited:

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Come on man. Adams put up better numbers last year than when Megatron last played. Adams had fewer targets but still caught more TDs and a higher percent of passes. If Adams wasn't competing for targets with others, who knows where his numbers would be. And here is the clincher- Adams is getting better and CJ is in decline.
He scored more TDs, that's it. Calvin had more yards, catches, and YPC, without much else going on in terms of a supporting cast, and going through two OCs.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He scored more TDs, that's it. Calvin had more yards, catches, and YPC, without much else going on in terms of a supporting cast, and going through two OCs.
The point was, he had 50% more opportunities but not 50% more stats. If you are bringing a WR in to a saturated lineup, he better make the best use of his opportunities. Adams did that better, and is a better WR at this point.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The point was, he had 50% more opportunities but not 50% more stats. If you are bringing a WR in to a saturated lineup, he better make the best use of his opportunities. Adams did that better, and is a better WR at this point.
Didn't Adams have 50% more opportunities in 2015 without Nelson? How did that turn out?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't Adams have 50% more opportunities in 2015 without Nelson? How did that turn out?
Your too much man! You live in the past! Adams was a much better receiver in his 3rd year than his 2nd year. CJ was a better WR in his 5th year than he was in his 9th. That doesn't matter very much now.

Let's sign Ray Lewis for ILB. At one time he was better than what we have now.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Megatron and Adams outside. Jordy in the slot. Big Bennett , and da Mont-ster.......

And #12.

Then keep 4 of the best depth we have.

It's not a matter of needing him or not... but being able to get him... if you can get a refreshed, healthy megaton. LOL. You do it.
I suspect megatrons going to have to sign a 1 year prove it deal, with incentives. to prove he is still worth $15 mil...

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure what comparing Megatron in his prime has to do with anything. I don't believe anyone made that claim, certainly not me. In my opinion, he was up there with Moss as the greatest since Jerry Rice.

Right now, on the Packers, he would be the 4th best receiver (including TEs) at best. But maybe 5th or 6th.
Noooooooo way. You are under estimating him.
Surely belichek would prove that if he came back.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Noooooooo way. You are under estimating him.
Surely belichek would prove that if he came back.
Im not knocking Johnson in any way... But I am now convinced that if you were a GM you would be ready to offer Walter Payton a 100M contract to come back and play for the Packers despite the fact that he is no longer with us.

D

Deleted member 6794

Megatron and Adams outside. Jordy in the slot. Big Bennett , and da Mont-ster.......

And #12.

Then keep 4 of the best depth we have.

It's not a matter of needing him or not... but being able to get him... if you can get a refreshed, healthy megaton. LOL. You do it.
I suspect megatrons going to have to sign a 1 year prove it deal, with incentives. to prove he is still worth $15 mil...

You continue to ignore that father time catches up with NFL players pretty fast. There's no doubt the Packers would benefit of signing Megatron if he was still in his prime but I highly doubt that's the case.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not sure johnson is in that big of a decline. Yeah hes 31 years old but top wide recievers commonly stay productive into there mid to late 30's. The nost recent example is larry fitzgerald he was 33 during the 2016 season

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your too much man! You live in the past! Adams was a much better receiver in his 3rd year than his 2nd year. CJ was a better WR in his 5th year than he was in his 9th. That doesn't matter very much now.

Let's sign Ray Lewis for ILB. At one time he was better than what we have now.

Not even close to a comparable comparison. Cj is younger and better than jordy nelson. Some would argue 31 is still in the wr prime. Prime is different for different positions. While 30 is the end of the line for most running backs that does not hold true for wr.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think he plays for anybody. But if he did, he hasn't played in 2 years. Some time away from football is important, 2 years is a long time. He's not terribly old, but he's certainly not young either. I would expect a drop in his play, considerable actually given the circumstances. and this team does not need more or better pass catchers at this point. If our offense can score a crap ton of points with Rodgers, Jordy, Cobb, Adams, Bennett, Kendricks and the rest, there are bigger problems. He could fine season for someone, but it's not going to be us.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
l agree there's no reason for the Packers to sign Megatron out of retirememt.
Thats literally an insane statement. If you think there are 3 recievers/tight ends curently on the packers roster who are better than a 31 year old calvin johnson your packers homerism is off the charts

Opps thought it would show amish mafia quote about cj being at best 4th recieving option

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me try again.

Calvin Johnson will not help us win any games this year as he is not an improvement over Nelson or Adams. His expensive salary will reduce our ability to sign our pending FAs. His roster spot will cause us to loose one of our promising young WRs.

So what is the experiment? Unless it includes a Delorean and a guy named Doc, there is significant downside and very little upside even as a 1 year experiment.

ha! there was a "what if" put forth. nobody knows what it would cost. if he's healthy, wanted to play for GB, met TT's terms, and made the 53, i don't see a problem with a one year deal.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats literally an insane statement. If you think there are 3 recievers/tight ends curently on the packers roster who are better than a 31 year old calvin johnson your packers homerism is off the charts

Opps thought it would show amish mafia quote about cj being at best 4th recieving option
You sir are correct, and i apologize. I forgot about Cobb. CJ would be the 5th best.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm not sure where this notion that Johnson is useless and washed up is coming from. Even if he loses a step, he's still faster than Adams and Cobb and superior in every other way imaginable. Especially since Adams will surely be demanding close to $10M on the free market soon, I'd take Johnson in the Twilight of his career rather than a guy with a ceiling as a solid #2 over the next few years.

Reaction score
I'm not sure where this notion that Johnson is useless and washed up is coming from. Even if he loses a step, he's still faster than Adams and Cobb and superior in every other way imaginable. Especially since Adams will surely be demanding close to $10M on the free market soon, I'd take Johnson in the Twilight of his career rather than a guy with a ceiling as a solid #2 over the next few years.
Calvin Johnson during his career was incredible - I think most people would feel comfortable ranking him on their top 10 all time WR lists. His career also ended somewhat prematurely, and not due to injury per se, meaning he could very well still have some good bit of high octane gas in the tank. Even given this, bringing him onto the team for a 1 year deal would be a mistake, both for this year and for the future, for several reasons.
1) He hasn't had any game time in long enough that, at this stage, he would likely not be fully back into football form till a quarter or third of the way through the season.
2) Our offense is highly predicated upon timing and route running, and getting that sort of thing down in tandem with your QB takes time, and likely he wouldn't be fully versed till halfway through the season.
3) Bringing him in would mean dropping one of our bubble guys, and that means sacrificing a promising prospect of future production (for most of our bubble guys are promising prospects) for at best compromised production for part of this year.
4) Given the first two points, his role on the offense would be described as "hope that he is still physically talented enough to be get separation when Rodgers scrambles and routes break down," which is putting yourself in a position to only have success on plays that fail. If you consider that between 25-33% of called passing plays will probably have some element of this in them, and you agree with my above generalizations, then you figure that you are dropping a prospect and paying a guy a good chunk of cash to come in for between 8-12 games of being able to contribute maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the time.

Granted, if he stays healthy and things go well, by the time playoffs come around he's probably getting more fully meshed into the scheme and has at least a bit of rapport built up with Rodgers and is getting perhaps some designed usage from MM, but that is hypothetical. All coaches talk about how important it is to have a full offseason to work with your team-mates. There is an equally likely chance that CJ is around just to be there for the occasional hail mary.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you working out with CJ? How do you know how fast he is, now - seeing he hasn't played in over a year?

If TT looked at only the current season the Packers would be a 500 level team. Thankfully, every decision be makes is for the long term good of the team.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not sure johnson is in that big of a decline. Yeah hes 31 years old but top wide recievers commonly stay productive into there mid to late 30's. The nost recent example is larry fitzgerald he was 33 during the 2016 season

Fitzgerald played the majority of his snaps over the past two seasons in the slot though. I'm not convinced Megatron would be intrigued by that idea.

Adams only counts $1.25 million towards the cap for the 2017 season and is definitely an ascending player. With the Packers having quality talent at the receiver position there's no need to spend whatever it would take to bring in a declining player at the position.

If TT looked at only the current season the Packers would be a 500 level team. Thankfully, every decision be makes is for the long term good of the team.

If Thompson would only care about the current team a bit more often.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This whole "sign Johnson out of retirement" thing isn't even possible.

The Lions would still own his rights and would only end up in Green Bay via trade.

If they thought Johnson had anything left, they would be insane to ship him to the divisional rival they've been trying to catch for 20+ years.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Solid number two receivers don't put up 997 yards and 12 TDs in a season like Adams did in just his third year.

He's already played better than the ceiling you just put him at.

Members online

Latest posts