calvin johnson to aaron rodgers what randy moss could have been to brett favre

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm wondering if Adams surpasses Nelson this season. Other things to note:
Improvement: He appears to have taken another step.
Work: Looks like he worked hard over the off-season, hes in great shape
Leadership: love to see him talking with King and hearing he helps young DBs in film study
Demeanor: he always looks serious he considers himself a professional

Physical tools and skills he has nothing holding him back and as you point out, many similar players don't evolve into great WRs. The reason is lack of work and focus. These are two areas I see Adams excelling in for the reasons cited above. I think it is likely at this point that Adams becomes an even bigger part of this offense.

Totally agree about Adams he's gonna be really good, next in that line of TT 2nd round wr picks. Going back to his first draft Terrance Murphy 2005, jennings 2006, nelson 2008, cobb 2011, and adams 2014. Only 2 on that list that haven't led packers in receiving at least once and I suspect Adams will in the near future probably not in 2017 but I could see it in 2018. The other Murphy didn't get a chance due to injury but looked very good prior to it. Actually looking at his combine stats he was certainly the most athletically gifted. 6'1 202 4.45 40 1.54 10 yard split 41 in vert 7.02 3 cone and a 3.91 20 yard shuttle.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This analogy doesn't really work the way that the Favre/Moss one did. Fave was a guy who wanted to throw up lots of junk jump balls and Moss would have been perfect for him in that regard. Since we now have a QB that prizes smart play and accuracy (you can tell I'm a bit of a partisan on this topic huh), his dream guy would be a really precise route runner, which is why he love Nelson so much. Someone like Jerry Rice back in the day or Antonio Brown today would be his version of Moss, not Calvin Johnson.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This analogy doesn't really work the way that the Favre/Moss one did. Fave was a guy who wanted to throw up lots of junk jump balls and Moss would have been perfect for him in that regard. Since we now have a QB that prizes smart play and accuracy (you can tell I'm a bit of a partisan on this topic huh), his dream guy would be a really precise route runner, which is why he love Nelson so much. Someone like Jerry Rice back in the day or Antonio Brown today would be his version of Moss, not Calvin Johnson.
Why would you assume he's not a precise route runner? Someone doesn't go for 2k yards on junk jump balls.

D

Deleted member 6794

Here's the thing historic might not be good enough it wasn't in 2011. So if you have the chance you sign a Calvin Johnson and try to make your offense so good it can make up for those defensive deficiencies.

There´s no reason to believe that signing Megatron out of retirement less than three weeks before the start of the season would make the offense significantly better though.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I believe Rodgers likes throwing jump balls too he just hasn't had anyone to throw em to with confidence. In fact after this past game he said that on the td he threw to Bennett he had jump ball in his mind before the snap. He also made a recent comment about his play on the look team and wanting to get back in there and throw michael clark a few more jump balls. Further I dont know that cj is really a jump ball receiver I think he actually is a really precise route runner as was Randy moss. Watch moss run a route sometime, it's so smooth and effortless. And the comparison was ment to mean, a player acquired by management later in their career to really boost the chances of a super bowl

D

Deleted member 6794

I believe Rodgers likes throwing jump balls too he just hasn't had anyone to throw em to with confidence.

I highly doubt Rodgers is keen on throwing too many high risk passes in the regular season or playoffs even with Bennett being able to come down with jump balls.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There´s no reason to believe that signing Megatron out of retirement less than three weeks before the start of the season would make the offense significantly better though.

I agree this scenario is a pipe dream, whatever that means. But I'm pretty sure adding Calvin Johnson at any point in the season would significantly improve any team including one that already has an elite offense such as the packers, patriots, or falcons.

I highly doubt Rodgers is keen on throwing too many high risk passes in the regular season or playoffs even with Bennett being able to come down with jump balls.

Jump ball doesn't necessarily me high risk. Maybe higher risk but if Bennett and clark come down with the ball 90% of the time its probably worth the higher risk at times. They are 2 for 2 so far

D

Deleted member 6794

But I'm pretty sure adding Calvin Johnson at any point in the season would significantly improve any team including one that already has an elite offense such as the packers, patriots, or falcons.

I don´t believe that to be true with the Packers for this season.

Jump ball doesn't necessarily me high risk. Maybe higher risk but if Bennett and clark come down with the ball 90% of the time its probably worth the higher risk at times. They are 2 for 2 so far

I highly doubt Bennett will be capable of catching even close to 90% of the jump balls thrown his way this season.

Members online

No members online now.