calvin johnson to aaron rodgers what randy moss could have been to brett favre

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There seems to be some talk of calvin johnsons interest in coming back to the nfl in pursuit of a sb. If this is true and it could be he turns just 32 at the end of september which for a wr is by no means old. There seem few better landing spots from his perspective than a few years in green bay with aaron rodgers. Would you be in favor of trading say a 3rf round pick to the lions for the rights to calvin johnson keeping in mind youd have to pay him between 12-15 m a year. But to me a recieving corps of johnson, nelson, adams, and cobb along with Bennett would be among the best of all time. Granted it would be for only one season as i think youd have to cut or trade cobb going into the 2018 to be able to retain adams. But a reciever grouo of nelson in slot adams and johnson outside and bennett at te with whoever among the young players steps up in 2017 could be even better. Im all for it i think if TT is honest not adding randy moss for a 3rd round pick was one of the biggest mistakes of his career you dont get a chance at that kind of value often. He also missed on adding marshawn lynch for a 3rd as well. Hopefully he can step up and get a trade that could define his career done

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. I think we have so much talent at WR that adding Calvin Johnson won't make us much better, and certainly not $13M better. Doubtful he is near his very high bar he set a few years ago. Rather put the money elsewhere and give the young WRs more of a chance to develop for the future.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Throughout the years, the Lions have been a bad organization, but they are not dumb enough to trade him to us.

We can dream all we want. If Calvin Johnson does return, there is no way the Lions ship him to Green Bay and help us to continue winning the division.

It would not matter if we were the highest bidders.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK. The article I read was that Calvin would count 16 mil against the cap if he were to come back. And the lions only have 8... so they would have to purge 8 mil of cap space (with Stafford's contract coming up)... or drop him...

Maybe he wants to come to GB? Lol. Then what?

Drop cobb, and take the $15 mil saved over the next two seasons. Sign Calvin and enter 2017 with Jordy, megaton,Adams,Bennett, and Monty...

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I put about a 1% chance on this happening. I agree with others that we don't have a need at WR. If we could get him, then trade our #3 or #4 WR for a OLB or CB....that would be something. However, I'm going to put better odds on North Korea and the USA developing a mission-to-Mars program in the next few weeks.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Calvin Johnson does not want to come back. And if he did, the Lions would not be trading him to the Packers.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK. The article I read was that Calvin would count 16 mil against the cap if he were to come back. And the lions only have 8... so they would have to purge 8 mil of cap space (with Stafford's contract coming up)... or drop him...

Maybe he wants to come to GB? Lol. Then what?

Drop cobb, and take the $15 mil saved over the next two seasons. Sign Calvin and enter 2017 with Jordy, megaton,Adams,Bennett, and Monty...

Not sure where you got the 15 million from cutting Cobb.

He'll make about 15 million the next two years, but almost 10 of it is guaranteed.

They'd owe him about double of what they'd pay so cutting him isn't a good option.

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As an earlier poster said, the Packers are busting with talent at WR and bringing on Johnson would not improve the team enough to spend the cash. I am excited to see the offense have so many good WR's, and hopefully we'll find a steady running back to compliment the group.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he's better than almost anyone we have but if he came back he'd end up in NE. they're the only club that does proactive things salary cap be damned. it's all about the Lombardi trophy there.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
5 years ago he was [he's] better than almost anyone we have but if he came back he'd end up in NE. they're the only club that does proactive things salary cap be damned. it's all about the Lombardi trophy there.
Fixed it for you.

Simply put, signing Calvin Johson, let alone giving a draft pick for him, decreases our chance of winning a Super bowl over the next 5 years.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i agree. he'd only be a one year experiment.
Let me try again.

Calvin Johnson will not help us win any games this year as he is not an improvement over Nelson or Adams. His expensive salary will reduce our ability to sign our pending FAs. His roster spot will cause us to loose one of our promising young WRs.

So what is the experiment? Unless it includes a Delorean and a guy named Doc, there is significant downside and very little upside even as a 1 year experiment.

Reaction score
I put about a 1% chance on this happening. I agree with others that we don't have a need at WR. If we could get him, then trade our #3 or #4 WR for a OLB or CB....that would be something. However, I'm going to put better odds on North Korea and the USA developing a mission-to-Mars program in the next few weeks.
That's the kind of snark that could just possibly spark off ww3, mister. And then we'd have no CHOICE but to try and go to Mars (or Venus, which would allow for a more immediately self sufficient colony with fewer health implications - that's right, shots fired at Mars).

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is pretty similar to speculation that abounded when Barry Sanders retired and I kept hearing people say he was going to come back into the league. It never happened.

Reaction score
Did I severely overestimate how passionate of a debate Mars vs Venus can be around here? In my circles, that's an easy way to derail any discussion on any topic and throw us into a heated debate about which planet is better for human habitation in any of dozens of different scenarios (ie, expanding for purpose of population, scientific merit, Earth is Dead scenarios, expanding for purpose of reaching another star, etc etc). I'm a Venus man through and through.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did I severely overestimate how passionate of a debate Mars vs Venus can be around here? In my circles, that's an easy way to derail any discussion on any topic and throw us into a heated debate about which planet is better for human habitation in any of dozens of different scenarios (ie, expanding for purpose of population, scientific merit, Earth is Dead scenarios, expanding for purpose of reaching another star, etc etc). I'm a Venus man through and through.
I see where you are going with this. Put me down for Venus. I understand all woman come from there. Mars? All dudes.

Reaction score
I see where you are going with this. Put me down for Venus. I understand all woman come from there. Mars? All dudes.
Mars is a sausage factory, but have you seen any sci-fi in which it's a world of only women? Doesn't end well for men.

...aside from that one time in Futurama, of course...

One of my favorite random thoughts: Mars is, to the awareness of humanity, the only planet inhabited soley by robots, and our current primary concern is that we don't have enough bandwidth for the internet on Mars. Great time to be alive, lol.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure where you got the 15 million from cutting Cobb.

He'll make about 15 million the next two years, but almost 10 of it is guaranteed.

They'd owe him about double of what they'd pay so cutting him isn't a good option.
He makes about 12 a year the next two seasons. 6 dead cap this yr and 3 next... leaving 15 mil back roughly

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
He makes about 12 a year the next two seasons. 6 dead cap this yr and 3 next... leaving 15 mil back roughly
You are using cap hit for the $12m not salary.
You are using base salary not total salary by not including workout and other bonuses.

Both of you are using the extremes of his salary. He will earn $9.5m roughly in cash each of the next two seasons with salary and bonuses included.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me try again.

Calvin Johnson will not help us win any games this year as he is not an improvement over Nelson or Adams. His expensive salary will reduce our ability to sign our pending FAs. His roster spot will cause us to loose one of our promising young WRs.

So what is the experiment? Unless it includes a Delorean and a guy named Doc, there is significant downside and very little upside even as a 1 year experiment.
Isn't he younger than Nelson? I don't see how you could say that he wouldn't be better than Nelson, let alone Adams. I'd say if he felt good enough to play again, he'd be roughly twice the player Adams is.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't he younger than Nelson? I don't see how you could say that he wouldn't be better than Nelson, let alone Adams. I'd say if he felt good enough to play again, he'd be roughly twice the player Adams is.
I would say you are severely underestimating Adams... and overstating Johnson's ability.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say you are severely underestimating Adams... and overstating Johnson's ability.
Adams is an okay #2 , but not even slightly comparable to Johnson. And his final year was an embarrassment for the entire Lions organization, yet he had 1,200 yards and 14 YPC with no help around him and nagging injuries. And he was still burning Sam Shields in this elderly state.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Come on man. Adams put up better numbers last year than when Megatron last played. Adams had fewer targets but still caught more TDs and a higher percent of passes. If Adams wasn't competing for targets with others, who knows where his numbers would be. And here is the clincher- Adams is getting better and CJ is in decline.

Members online