Bucs studs n duds

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t recall Rodgers ever having an issue getting out of the huddle. Getting the play off without a delay or calling a timeout is his biggest issue IMO.

The DoG issues are two different ones, though sometimes they are related. And under MLF, I think the huddle tends to break later. Play calls too long, subs too late, whatever the issue is.

If the huddle breaks late, that's usually on the coach. Get the plays in faster or figure out a system to simplify the sideline to headset communication. If they players aren't lining up correctly, that's their fault. If they motion or shift late and need to set to prevent an illegal procedure penalty, still not Rodgers.

Rodgers can only influence/hope to minimize those. The only time Rodgers really is at fault is when he tries to change the play too late. It happens sometimes, but the others aren't necessarily his fault.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t recall Rodgers ever having an issue getting out of the huddle. Getting the play off without a delay or calling a timeout is his biggest issue IMO.

The downside of being a perfectionist - If people aren't lined-up just so, he keeps moving them until he's out of time.

That's probably not going to change, we'll just have to live with it.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Watch the play clock when the Packers break huddle versus several other teams. Many are consistently breaking at about 20 seconds, Packers usually 12-14.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
They should be breaking out of the huddle at around 15 seconds on the play clock, they don't all the time. I have seen them break out with less than 10 seconds and that just isn't enough time for Rodgers, at least for what he typically likes to do at the LOS.

Let's face it, Rodgers bread and butter is his ability to read the defense pre-snap and possibly audible into a better play call. His TO's used to bug the snot out of me, but now for the most part, I realize that it's just a small hiccup with his process and I prefer he continue his method of play, than have 3 TO's at halftime, that he won't need. End of the game, nice to have a few left, but with Rodgers, not a deal breaker.

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They should be breaking out of the huddle at around 15 seconds on the play clock, they don't all the time.
i think i read that the speaker in the qb's helmet is turned off at 15 seconds remaining. if mlf doesn't get the play in until just before the speaker is cut off, rodgers still has to communicate the play to the other players before the huddle breaks.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Watch the play clock when the Packers break huddle versus several other teams. Many are consistently breaking at about 20 seconds, Packers usually 12-14.
Agreed but I think a lot of that is the length of time it takes for LaFleur to get the call in, along with LaFleur’s verbiage being considerably more wordy and length, but both his and Rodgers’ admission.

Like I said, Rodgers burning timeouts and letting the clock burn all the way down consistently is all him.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
They should be breaking out of the huddle at around 15 seconds on the play clock, they don't all the time. I have seen them break out with less than 10 seconds and that just isn't enough time for Rodgers, at least for what he typically likes to do at the LOS.

Let's face it, Rodgers bread and butter is his ability to read the defense pre-snap and possibly audible into a better play call. His TO's used to bug the snot out of me, but now for the most part, I realize that it's just a small hiccup with his process and I prefer he continue his method of play, than have 3 TO's at halftime, that he won't need. End of the game, nice to have a few left, but with Rodgers, not a deal breaker.
Agreed. Timeouts in the first half don’t bother me at all. It’s when we have 1 timeout and 3 minutes left in regulation that crawls all over me.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm late to this. Here are some thoughts.

1) Rodgers is developing a rapport with Doubs, which would add another option to the list of guys that he's really comfortable with (Cobb, Tonyan, Lazard, Jones, Dillon). People criticize Rodgers for wanting a comfort level with his pass catchers, which is really freaking stupid. I can't understand for the life of me why it's a bad thing that one of the most nuanced passers in the league wants to be on the same page with the guys he's throwing to.

2) The fact that the Packers were able to move the ball for a time against that defense is a good thing. Obviously they sputtered in the 2nd half, but they really ought to have gone up 21-3 if not for that unfortunate fumble. The Bucs are an elite defense AND they match up well with the Packers approach. I was expecting a loss this last week for that reason. I still think we aren't going to see GB's offense hit a real stride for a couple more weeks.

3) The defensive front is going to really start heating up opposing QB's. They pressured Brady a whole lot, and he was getting the ball out crazy fast. Clark is another another level, Wyatt is on the come, and Gary is having a great season.

4) Special Teams were outstanding! What?! That's wild!

5) Bakhtiari looking solid in his return. Hopefully we don't learn this week that the playing time has set him back.

6) There are pieces of the offensive line that really need to play better. Protection has been a much bigger problem to the passing game than receiver talent. Runyan and Myers have both struggled at times.

Reaction score
Only like 10. But he looked good.
That’s good. While it was PS, I watched him very closely and rewound each play. He was very disruptive against lower competition and showed great hustle. He actually had 1 QB hit he never got credit for.

While I understand Lowry has had some recent success (2021) I’m surprised that we have so been so sparse with Wyatt. He needs experience and maybe the plan is to ramp him up gradual idk?

D

Deleted member 6794

I take Olson and the other guy over Joe Buck and Aikman.

This is my hot take for this evening...

I definitely prefer having Aikman and Buck call Packers' games.
Whatever happened to hurry up offense? The whole O is tepid and uninspired.

It's not surprising that the Packers can't play a ton of hurry up offense with an inexperienced wide receiving corps.

I hate Rodgers having to force throws as they inevitably will be intercepted and frustrate him more, he will do it.

Rodgers is the best quarterback in NFL history in taking care of the ball.

Rodgers: He is in charge of getting them in and out of the huddle so that we don't have to waste 2 Timeouts in 3 plays.

Once again, it shouldn't be surprising the Packers need more time in the huddle with a lot of inexperienced players receiving snaps on offense.

It was also great to see Bahktiari out there. Now all the speculation can stop.

I suggest to wait until it's clear Bakhtiari didn't suffer another setback before proclaiming he's back for good.

Like I said, Rodgers burning timeouts and letting the clock burn all the way down consistently is all him.

In my opinion that statement is contradictory to what you said before.

How many snaps did Wyatt get on D?

Wyatt played only seven snaps.

As the leader of the team he should be speaking up and telling his teammates it's unacceptable.

Rodgers speaking up won't change anything about a lot of players on offense needing more time in this system before being able to play faster.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

It's not surprising that the Packers can't play a ton of hurry up offense with an inexperienced wide receiving corps.

Rodgers is the best quarterback in NFL history in taking care of the ball.

Once again, it shouldn't be surprising the Packers need more time in the huddle with a lot of inexperienced players receiving snaps on offense.

I suggest to wait until it's clear Bakhtiari didn't suffer another setback before proclaiming he's back for good.

In my opinion that statement is contradictory to what you said before.

Rodgers speaking up won't change anything about a lot of players on offense needing more time in this system before being able to play faster.
I could see you coming to that conclusion. And at times, it could be Rodgers not having enough time to survey the defense. But there’s many other times where he screws around too much and burns timeouts.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not I. Buck is ok, but Aikman is an ***. Hates the Packers and is always siding against the Packers on close plays.
Good point.
We're all holding are breath with that guy.
Were those snaps on ST? I don't remember seeing him on defense. I will have to keep on eye out for 95.

D

Deleted member 6794

I could see you coming to that conclusion. And at times, it could be Rodgers not having enough time to survey the defense. But there’s many other times where he screws around too much and burns timeouts.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that sometimes Rodgers is the one to blame for having to take a timeout. I don't believe that's true for the majority of those though.

Were those snaps on ST? I don't remember seeing him on defense. I will have to keep on eye out for 95.

Wyatt played seven snaps on defense and another six on special teams (all on punt returns) against the Bucs.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not surprising that the Packers can't play a ton of hurry up offense with an inexperienced wide receiving corp.
Rodgers has been letting the clock run down for number of years either to try to get the defense to jump off sides or trying to see what the defense is up to

D

Deleted member 6794

Rodgers has been letting the clock run down for number of years either to try to get the defense to jump off sides or trying to see what the defense is up to

There's some truth to it. Rodgers' ability to read a defense pre-snap is one of the best traits though. Therefore I can live with him having to take a timeout occasionally.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's some truth to it. Rodgers' ability to read a defense pre-snap is one of the best traits though. Therefore I can live with him having to take a timeout occasionally.
That's pretty much it. For all that has been made about Rodgers' ability to throw and anticipate and move in the pocket or run etc, his greatest attribute is probably his intelligence and ability to recognize what a defense is trying to do. Any coach wanting to take that part of his game away would be a fool.

Reaction score
Yes. He also monitors last minute substitutions on D. Then makes them pay dearly.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts