Brett on McNair Situation :

Status
Not open for further replies.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
my initial reaction to this was...keep your opinions to yourself brett until you make your OWN decision - it actually made me kinda mad.

but then, like most mature adults, i THOUGHT it through.

last time i checked, brett is a guy who speaks his mind no matter what. sometimes we LOVE that in him & sometimes we don't.

in this case, i think he & any other player in the NFL have the right to say whatever the hell they want to. mcnair is being treated like a chump & i would be disappointed if his fellow players weren't speaking out about it. just because they're not teammates doesn't mean they can't make comments.

this was blown so far out of proportion, it's ridiculous!!! :roll:

PPierce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our family room is basically a shrine to the Packers, especially Favre. This man was my hero. I am disgusted with him right now. He should zip it about everyone else and make up his mind regarding the Packers. My whole perception of the man has been changed. And, for the record, I didn't feel it was his business to speak out to the media about Javon Walker. He should have handled it in private, maybe calling Javon. Now we've lost one of our best players. Maybe I'm the only one in Green Bay who feels this way, but you can't get much worse than 4-12. I'm so sick okf Brett's games with the team that if he retires, so be it. The team will move on, as every team has when a great QB retires. I don't like his arrogance, and, sorry, but he's holding the team hostage. Ask anyone who isn't living in Green Bay. They can see what many of us can't. I love the years Favre gave us, but that doesn't excuse his current behavior.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure...think Brett crosses a line in his commentary about ANOTHER TEAM'S BUSINESS...and you are a Brett Favre hater.

You people are so predictable.....and simple minded....never allowing for another opinion than yours......go have a group hug.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would have been different if McNair didnt have a contract at all with his team, but he has been their main guy for so many years just like Brett has with the Packers, also Brett is a good friend of McNairs. IMO Brett had the right to say something about that situation in Tenn. They are treating McNair like crappies, not right at all...I am sure Brett is dealing with his own situation to, I am glad he said something...and just remember I am sure we dont know everything that is being talked about behind closed doors.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hate to remind all you people that football, first and foremost, is a business...as unfortunate as that may be. It takes two to tango and between McNair and his agent and the Titans, they have been unable to come up with a waiver in the case of a workout injury that would cost the TEAM $23.5 million and cripple them for years to come.

The Titan's are protecting their business and all the OTHER PLAYERS on the roster who would be damaged by such an injury payout.

How is it so difficult to come to terms on such a simple agreement? Whether they plan to keep McNair or not, they must protect against such a catastrophic payout.

Sorry, but the business side of the game sucks. Just the way it is.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Hate to remind all you people that football, first and foremost, is a business...as unfortunate as that may be. It takes two to tango and between McNair and his agent and the Titans, they have been unable to come up with a waiver in the case of a workout injury that would cost the TEAM $23.5 million and cripple them for years to come.

The Titan's are protecting their business and all the OTHER PLAYERS on the roster who would be damaged by such an injury payout.

How is it so difficult to come to terms on such a simple agreement? Whether they plan to keep McNair or not, they must protect against such a catastrophic payout.

Sorry, but the business side of the game sucks. Just the way it is.

So you think it was OK for the Titans management to send a team trainer out to tell McNair that even though he was under contract he wasn't allowed to workout there? Why not invite him into your huge corner office with your gigantic overstuffed furniture and explain the situation to him and work something out?

Can I come work for you digs?

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Certainly, a little more tact could have been used. But the fact remains, they have a team to protect and last I looked, football was in fact a team sport.

Hey, sorry to break the news, but business in the dollar stratosphere that the league and teams deal with is very cold and calculated place. I do not necessarily agree with HOW the Titans delivered their message, but I understand the WHY.

You want pure football as nothing more than sport...Pop Warner plays on Saturdays in many parks in your immediate area.

The pros is a business...a very cold, hard and calculated business.

Reality bites.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Certainly, a little more tact could have been used. But the fact remains, they have a team to protect and last I looked, football was in fact a team sport.

Hey, sorry to break the news, but business in the dollar stratosphere that the league and teams deal with is very cold and calculated place. I do not necessarily agree with HOW the Titans delivered their message, but I understand the WHY.

You want pure football as nothing more than sport...Pop Warner plays on Saturdays in many parks in your immediate area.

The pros is a business...a very cold, hard and calculated business.

Reality bites.

I understand business but I think Brett's point was the way it was handled. Very disrespectful to McNair.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
DePack said:
I understand business but I think Brett's point was the way it was handled. Very disrespectful to McNair.

Asking the 'face' of the franchise for the past decade to 'leave' was jus amazing to me. It brought back memories of when Montana left the 49ers.

That takes a lot of balls. Wouldn't you hate to have been the guy to tell McNair 'hey steve thanks for everything, you cant be here though'

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre is an arrogant ******* who needs to worry about his own situation before he talks about anyone else's. He thinks the "star" players should all be treated like kings and screw the rest of the team. I hope he doesn't retire and his arrogance implodes the team. I'm still amazed he has the record for the most consecutive starts. You'd think by now he'd have pulled his arm out of socket patting himself on the back for being a "hall of fame" qb. Before he started all of this retirement soap opera I respected him as one of the best in the league. Terrel Owens is one of the best in the league too. It makes me sick when these "hall of fame" players get so self important they get a hall of shame attitude.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand the "it's business" arguement in favor of the titans management but the fact is what they did is illegal. That is what Unions are for, to keep businesses in check in relation to how they treat their employees. I guarantee the team will be forced to allow McNair to work out because it is against the rules of the CBA to lock out a player that is under contract. It is strictly a labor issue. Let's say I work at a big corporation and I am personally treated fine, but I see a highly paid executive get locked out of his office because the business thinks that the executive should get paid less than what they agreed to pay him, then I am going to show my support for that person. It is self defeating in labor issues to just shut up and mind your own business and this is most definitely a labor issue. If this can happen to McNair, then it can happen to any football player so they have the right to speak out, not as a member of a specific team, but as a football player that is concerned that their owners are mistreating them. Also big3 just because Favre generally destroys the Lions year after year, doesn't mean he should be compared to TO and everybody knows that any comparison is insanely stupid. TO has never been loyal to anybody ever. Favre is much different.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now we are comparing BF to TO? Get real people, every night for the last monthe current players have commented on the McNair thing and BF thing.

I don't think Favre is above criticism at all and by doing so I am not saying you are a trader BUT when you dig and dig for something to bash him about and twist things around It makes me question how much you realy like the guy.

Big3, Where does it say that Brett thinks the "Stars" should be treated like kings? Maybe he thinks that loyalty is important and handling things in a professional manner means something.

It's nothing but a player commenting on another players treatment. I have seen it over and over again from over a dozen players. I bet thier so-called fans don't run to thier teams messageboard and post crap like this.

People are just tired of waiting for a decision and trying to turn this into a BF being selfish thing, like the true Media puppets that they are. TT has said it over and over again, Brett is not effecting what this team does by taking his time deciding. I think Brett said it best, "Go Enjoy Baseball" instead of trying to find reasons to turn Brett into TO.

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Loyalty is important huh? So how can Brett even think about retiring when he's still under contract? Oh ya, and the labor unions are great! That's why all the auto companies in Detroit are doing so well right now.:(

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
big3 - where's the hatred coming from, dude?? i just don't get where you're calling brett favre an arrogant *******?!?!? did you say the same thing about peyton manning on the colts site?? or any of the other players who have commented on this issue - are they arrogant jackasses as well?? come on!!

i'm sorry for those of you who don't truly "know" brett favre. i feel that i have some insight into the kind of guy he is & let me tell you, this is NO arrogant *******. he did something for my dad (a month before my dad died) that he did NOT have to do. he got NO good PR from it - he just did it out of the goodness of his heart. that is NOT something an arrogant, selfish ******* would do.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you serious? Do you realize the stupidity of what you just said?

Newsflash!!! Brett is not HOLDING OUT he is contemplating retirement. It's not disloyal in any business to contemplate retirement. Last I checked, people who retire are treated with respect and are allowed the time to make a very personal decision.

You also are being a hyprocrite by bringing contracts into this. You are bashing Brett for speaking out on the McNair situation and think Brett is under contract so he should play. On the other side of the issue McNair is under contract and is being forced out. It's ok for the Titans to break a contract but not for the player to retire when he's under contract?

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Labor unions have no power to prevent auto makers from making their automobiles in other countries and that is far off topic from this situation. Retirement is entirely different than holding out under contract. Favre is getting near the age where many great quarterbacks retire. He isn't a bad person if he feels that he can't play to the level he is used to anymore and decides to retire.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4Packgirl, you are right on. I can count at least 20+ other current players who have commented on the McNair thing or the Brett thing. Noone condiders them "Selfish" but since BF is taking his time deciding something personal all the impatient fans are just looking for a reason to call BF selfish. It honestly is sickening to see the same fans that supported this guy for over a decade turn on him and call him "Selfish" as soon as he has a little trouble contemplating his future.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow....Peyton and others have piled on the situation so it MUST be right to butt into the Titans' business. Peyton has spoketh!!! Send the barkers throughout town......."Peyton has spoketh...Peyton has spoketh!!"

How do we know what went down? A simple waiver could get him in...maybe he refused it out of greed for $23.5 million in the event of injury, maybe it was not offered by the Titans. That is their business and there is surely much we do not know.

How would all of you have felt it players around the league chimed in on JW last year and this?

On the one hand many of you are all pissy because OUTSIDERS are complicating every apsect of Brett's decision to retire or not...hyping it beyond proportion into a circus atmosphere, and in the same breath say it is OK to meddle in other teams' business dealings.

Little hypocritical, isn't it?

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Digsthepack, with all due respect it's 2 completely different things.

Brett is contemplating retirement and NO it's not fair for people to bash him for making a personal decision that will impact the rest of his life and call him selfish.

It's another thing to say something about an organization that is completely disrespecting a fellow player. Brett believes McNair is being treated poorly, as does everyone else I have heard weigh in on this situation.

Realize that the fans and media are NOT the same as fellow NFL players. When a current NFL player wants to give his "Take" on the BF thing, it's perfectly fine, whether you agree or disagree with what he says.

espnpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
...I am almost embarrased to say I am a "Packer Fan" after the way some of these fans have handled this offseason...

I understand what you are saying, but the feeling I am getting is that the number of people who are regularly weighing in on this, and "losing respect" for Favre, are (on the whole) a realtively insigfinicant amount of people, and even moreso, insignificant because of the "quality" of their Packer Fanaticism.

I honestly believe that the "best quality" of fan views this Favre stuff as nonsense, and hardly lets it bother them one way or the other...AND, I believe the number of those fans far outnumbers the naysayers, and they rarely waste their time on Posting Forums.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, I don't mind the opinions...have at it. We have amongst us some who are willing to judge based on other's opinions...that is ********. Happy to debate an issue...get a little pissed when people lord over those they deem unworthy.

Personally, I could give a **** what others think of me..which is probably a good thing...but this holier than thou crap is kiddie school.

"What..dude...you don't think the Stones are the best band ever......get out and walk the rest of the way home!!"

Kiddie school crap.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People's concept of labor issues here are pretty weird. Every player should sign a waiver now to be able to work out at the team's gym? No players should be compensated for getting hurt doing their job? It isn't Steve McNair's fault that the team refuses to negotiate a restructuring of his contract. Once again I see Favre speaking out as a member of the players union speaking out in support of a fellow player. I can understand why some people don't want Favre to comment on another player's situation although I don't think that way personally, and I am not one of the people that thinks if you don't like something that Favre has done or said, that you are automatically a hater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts