Brett on McNair Situation :

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By BILL POOVEY

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. Apr 20, 2006 (AP)— Brett Favre, who has been treated with patience by the Green Bay Packers while deciding if he will retire, doesn't like the way the Tennessee Titans have dealt with Steve McNair, their veteran quarterback.

"All of the things he has done for that team," the Packers QB said Thursday. "He really has been the face of that team for the last 10 or 11 years, the one bright spot really. To be treated that way I think is really unfair. He doesn't deserve it … It is not right."

On April 3, the Titans had a team trainer tell McNair, the NFL's co-MVP in 2003, that he could not work out on the team's property until they can reach a deal reworking his contract. They fear an injury would put them on the hook for $23.46 million under the salary cap.

Favre and McNair have the same agent, Bus Cook.

McNair agreed to a six-year extension with Tennessee for $47 million in June 2001, a deal reworked often to provide the Titans with much-needed salary cap space until now. The Titans declined to pay a $50 million option to extend his deal, which now runs through 2006.

The NFL Players Association has filed a grievance on McNair's behalf, charging the Titans breached his contract.

Favre declined to comment about his own playing future, but he made the comments before attending a fundraiser for the Chattanooga football program as a guest of coach Rodney Allison. Allison was quarterbacks coach at Southern Mississippi when Favre played there.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is one thing for him to comment on his own team, and I applaud hisstance with JW last season. But this, quite honestly, is none of his business. McNair signed a backloaded contract that both parties recognized would need to be restructured through an extension in its final year. Now that the deal is slow to come, the Titans are merely protecting themselves against a payout of many million should McNair injure himself and be unable to play this season.

Brett, please worry about yourself, your family and the Packers. This is out of line. Yeah, he's your best bud, but this is for him and the Titans to hash out.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't Brett see how good he has it here? GB bending over backwards for him, meanwhile Mcnair is getting the shaft, which isn't cool at all.

I (personally) don't like how TT\GB is handling the Favre situation, but on the other end of the spectrum, the way the Titans are handling McNair is just mean\rude\wrong!

Poor Steve.

edit - digsthepack also brings up some good points.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Yea I agree. Brett didn't need to say anything about McNair. That cross's a line there.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow I didn't think it was possible for somebody to actually defend the Titan's management on this issue. For any team to not allow any player that is under contract on their team to not use their equipment for no reason other than they have a large contract is crap. From what I read they haven't even tried to negotiate a restructuring of the contract and his agent was sent an offer and he counter offered and never heard back. I also don't really see how Brett or Peyton were out of line talking about this because they should support their fellow quarterbacks when said quarterback did absolutely nothing wrong.

OP
OP
W

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree Brett was out of line. Brett is defending a close friend who isn't even on the Pack roster.

I Agree with SuperRat !!!

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see no reason Brett Favre or anyone else cannot give their opinion on the McNair topic or any other subject. It has nothing to do with his "situation with the Packers" nor is it similar (not that it matters) to his support of Walker last year.

I guess if he isn't announcing his future plans no one wants to hear what he has to say?

OP
OP
W

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Why would we hate Brett Favre? He played hard for a long time, and provided many happy memories.

you do know "hate" and "criticzing" aren't the same thing, right?

I know some of you blind saps think Favre can do no wrong, but its true, he IS human.

(and before you say something about my 'tt-loving' i dont love him, i support him, and i criticize HIM as well. Klemm for example. )

Being critical on occasion is one thing trom, all "some of you" do is try and find everything wrong possible about Brett while at the same time saying you love him. Please !!!

OP
OP
W

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackinSteel said:
I see no reason Brett Favre or anyone else cannot give their opinion on the McNair topic or any other subject. It has nothing to do with his "situation with the Packers" nor is it similar (not that it matters) to his support of Walker last year.

I guess if he isn't announcing his future plans no one wants to hear what he has to say?

You got it friend and that is very sad !!!

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
pyledriver..

i hear you man..

There are many teams that i'm sure who would love to have a player like McNair as their QB...

(Oakland, Jets, SF...Arizona..etc..etc..)

and don't think I didn't catch the past tense reference to Brett...

"He played hard for a long time..provided many good 'memories'..." ...as if you think he is done in GB and doesn't have it anymore...

I will laugh your *** off this board if Brett retires...and the Packers suck as TT goes down with the sinking ship..!

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[email protected]t was on the team last year and the Packers sucked...what's your point?

I'm on the fence on this issue...it really is none of Brett's business, but this is also getting blown out of proportion...it's not as though Brett got on some podium w/ a fireworks display at his back to declare his position on this issue...more likley, some rinky-**** reporter asked him a question or 2 about this, and it wound up blowing up like this.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also on this issue. I think it would be bad form if he commented on somebody on another team holding out for a larger contract or how a player on another team is misbehaving, but in this case he is just providing moral support for a quarterback being screwed by team officials.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes you hate everything he does no matter what he does. You will always find the negative in every move he makes. That is not a good way to go about things with your mind set no matter what happens. I would like for you to say something positive for once. Think happy thoughts.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett should get his business in order and let HIS team know what HIS plans are before he is concerned about another players issues.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
SuperRat said:
Wow I didn't think it was possible for somebody to actually defend the Titan's management on this issue. For any team to not allow any player that is under contract on their team to not use their equipment for no reason other than they have a large contract is crap. From what I read they haven't even tried to negotiate a restructuring of the contract and his agent was sent an offer and he counter offered and never heard back. I also don't really see how Brett or Peyton were out of line talking about this because they should support their fellow quarterbacks when said quarterback did absolutely nothing wrong.

I didn't say I agreed or defended Titans management. My initial thought is they're wrong, however I do NOT know what is going on behind closed doors. What I do know is our QB is putting his nose in another teams business.

Now if Brett was included with the Titans management as to exactly why McNair was asked to stay away from the Tians facilities, slack will be cut. (Who knows, they do share the same agent)

To my knowledge and assumption Brett can NOT be involved in any reasoning that the Titans have per his contract with the GREEN BAY PACKERS therefore he should not involve himself into someone elses business.

Seriously, doesn't the man think he's has enough drama already?

He let this retirement talk drag out, he blasts Javon (I totally stand behind him on that one) and now he's giving his opinion on another teams treatment of their QB.

Retirement, when asked, cleanly say 'I'm under contract until further notice' or something.
Javon, he said the right things in my opinion.
McNair, he doesnt need to say anything at all.

I love Brett. I will always stick up for him, but talking about another team without knowing every detail I say is wrong and unjustified.

Fans all over blasted McNabb for spouting out about Brett. Why is Brett given a free ride?

If you feel otherise get some testicular fortitude and stand up for whats right!

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a big difference between speaking out about individuals and individual player contracts, and what is essentially a union thing. This could affect many players, a team kicking a player that is under contract out of their weightroom is wrong. Players should let it be known that they don't support that sort of thing so it doesn't happen to them. McNair is under contract by the team. It goes both ways. Both sides take risks. I disagree with players holding out for larger contracts and this is about the opposite, the team refusing entry because of a contract that is too large. Both are wrong, moreso for the team to do this than individual players.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett isn't speaking out against another player. That's what I'm trying to say. It's essentially a labor issue and he is giving support to a fellow player. McNair did nothing wrong. If McNair was holding out for a larger contract or something of that sort and Favre spoke out about it either way, supporting or not supporting him, then that would be different and I would disagree with that.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
SuperRat said:
Brett isn't speaking out against another player. That's what I'm trying to say. It's essentially a labor issue and he is giving support to a fellow player. McNair did nothing wrong. If McNair was holding out for a larger contract or something of that sort and Favre spoke out about it either way, supporting or not supporting him, then that would be different and I would disagree with that.

Brett = PACKERS
McNair = TITANS

End.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you are missing my point entirely. I don't think Favre or the Packers are above criticism but in this case I don't see how Favre can look bad for supporting a fellow player over a teams management that is ******** the player over. If other players didn't comment on the situation there is a chance that it would be swept under the rug and nobody would care, but when major stars like Peyton and Brett talk about it, it gets more attention which I think is good because the Titans overreached greatly and people should know that doing what they did is wrong and they won't get away with it. I understand if people think that players shouldn't talk about players on other teams at all, under any circumstance, but I personally don't think that way.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
SuperRat said:
I think you are missing my point entirely. I don't think Favre or the Packers are above criticism but in this case I don't see how Favre can look bad for supporting a fellow player over a teams management that is ******** the player over. If other players didn't comment on the situation there is a chance that it would be swept under the rug and nobody would care, but when major stars like Peyton and Brett talk about it, it gets more attention which I think is good because the Titans overreached greatly and people should know that doing what they did is wrong and they won't get away with it. I understand if people think that players shouldn't talk about players on other teams at all, under any circumstance, but I personally don't think that way.

Bottom line. Its NOT his business nor his place to be talking about it. McNair is a BIG BOY he can speak for himself and when other players ... nevermind you don't get the point.

Brett and whoever else should just let McNair be the man he is and let him deal with it. He can make his comments behind closed doors about other teams players.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Boy, you can sure tell it's the off-season. This, just like Brett's decision, is being blown way out of hand.

I watch current players on NFL Network,ESPN,Etc give thier opinions on McNair's treatment, Brett Favre's decision, Chad Johnson's celebration, T.O.,Etc.

Making a big deal over nothing due to the long, boring off-season.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I know, I am personally excited over the Draft this year more than in years past.

Status
Not open for further replies.